DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 02-28-2006, 12:53 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: 14 year old drummer who made me weep.

Im not doubting this kids skill as we are all open to our own opinions but as said before he has alot of raw talent... But he seems to like repeating things and it gets boring. In my opinion it was not a boring solo. I didnt mind him repeating things much. Once in a while it got a little boring but i liked the solo alot and this kid could and probably will go far.

As Cymbals Fear Me said, i would like to see how well he plays on an average 4 or 5 peice with less cymbals a single pedal and none of those other toys he uses. I started out on a five peice with only 2 cymbals then moved on to a 7 peice with double pedal and now have 6 cymbals (and workin on gettin cow bells and wood blocks) so i know i can use a smaller set like that as well as a larger one. I would like to see his skill on smaller sets and other percussion instruments.

As others have said in this thread, i wonder how good he jamming with a guitarist, bass, and keyboardist. Considering the amount of talent he has at soloing... you can tell he would be great at jamming. When you learn how to play the drums, any good teacher will teach you stuff on the hi-hat and ride before they teach you fills. Eloy has already got the fills part down i bet, so he probably knows some good rudiments and patterns. So what im saying is he must be good at playing with others.

Sure hes not weckl or gadd, but hes gettin there.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aahznightsky
Now he has alot of technique, but i wouldn't say he's anywhere near touching Greb's musicality (and Benny still has the upper hand by just a little technique wise)

And i don't hear Eloy doing any grooving like ya see Greb doing. He's just busting out his licks. When a few of my friends and family so him on the dvd, first thing they said was,

"Where's the groove?"
True; He is very good, but there really wasn't a groove going on. Greb is a master of musicality; this kid has touched upon it, but he hasn't got the experience that Greb has. Given some more time, I think he will become ridiculous; forget 10 years, in 1 year this kid could improve exponentially.

In terms of 4-way independence, I actually have a video of how to utilize 6-way indepence. I still have not perfected it, but am hard at work on it every day. This kid's 4-way blew me away; I have seen it done, but this is amazing. The 14 year old thing is almost a gimmick, though; when I was 8 years old, I was in an art class which had a lot of teenagers and people in their 20s in it. I was talented (not to brag) and looked upon with respect partially due to my age and skill in relation to those around me - I was indeed a lot more artistic than many of the students who had been studying longer than I had been alive. Though I never competed in an art show or anything like that, it is almost the same "gimmick", that is, the young, less-experienced boy will outdo the extremely experienced man.

- Marc

Last edited by tambian89; 02-28-2006 at 01:32 AM.
Old 02-28-2006, 01:21 AM

[quote=Class A Drummer] As Cymbals Fear Me said, I would like to see how well he plays on an average 4 or 5 peice with less cymbals a single pedal and none of those other toys he uses. I would like to see his skill on smaller sets and other percussion instruments.

QUOTE]
I agree with this statement in part; while Eloy demonstarted his skill on a 7 piece kit, I would like to see how good his solo would be without all the " 'toys' " he had added on. This gave him to opportunity to go in which direction he chose.

However, I believe that Eloy worked his way up to using that drum set; no one can move from a 5 piece kit with 4 cymbals and no percussion to a 7 piece kit with 10 or more cymbals and 4 or 5 jam blocks (on of which was on a pedal) overnight and perform as well as Eloy did (unless you are a prodigy with too much time on your hands). He had to probably had practice relentlessly to get to use that set and perform on it well. Eloy deserves a lot of credit.

- Marc
Old 02-28-2006, 02:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tambian89
In terms of 4-way independence, I actually have a video of how to utilize 6-way indepence. I still have not perfected it, but am hard at work on it every day.
What's involved with 6-way independence? I always thought that 4-way independence meant isolated control of the four limbs (as well as interdependence). Are you utilizing two extra limbs? (Not sure I want to know the answer,now, come to think of it.)
Old 02-28-2006, 04:00 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
True; He is very good, but there really wasn't a groove going on. Greb is a master of musicality; this kid has touched upon it, but he hasn't got the experience that Greb has. Given some more time, I think he will become ridiculous; forget 10 years, in 1 year this kid could improve exponentially.

- Marc

Yeah i agree with you completely. Exposed to the right music (hehe) and musicians, he could be quite an amazing groover as well! He has the natural rhythmic ability.

Besides how do we know if he was just pulling our chain or not? Remember when Nutha talked about seeing Virgil Donati do a clinic on groove? And none of us had any idea!

also, i know of your 4 limbs and your voice. whats the last one????
Old 02-28-2006, 04:08 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Video: Eloy Casagrande

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-1000
Yeah...Eloy is phenominal!! Just possibly he might have the edge over me in a drum duel...just possibly...maybe...

Yeah, he'd cane me.

Does anyone know what ride he's using; it sounded great. I think it looks like a Paiste New Signature Dark Energy Mark 1, can anyone (probably 'Aahznightsky' especially) confirm this? What size do you reckon it is?

Haha yes that's exactly what it is. Sounds killer doesnt it???? Well about size. I know it's from 20 to 22 inches. That's all they make haha. But from the looks of it, I'd say a 20"
Old 02-28-2006, 08:53 AM
Pioneer Member

Eloy is fast and has his own style of playing ... so did Tony Royster Jr. - the 12 year old clip ( I like those stuffs he play cause I was taught to play something like that eg. certain patterns he play) - but ... altogether Eloy & Tony has quite different style of playing in certain way.

These kids blew me .... and I'm proud of them 2
Old 02-28-2006, 06:07 PM

Hehe, aahz, d'ya think the sonic properties of this ride are applicable to this guys (obviously metal influenced) drumming?
Old 02-28-2006, 10:12 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-1000
Hehe, aahz, d'ya think the sonic properties of this ride are applicable to this guys (obviously metal influenced) drumming?

well geez you see players from all genres playing all different low end to high end lines, when you know they all could afford the better sounding cymbals. Dolmayan from System of a Down plays Superstars and Paiste Signatures! But then you see another huge band like Green Day for instance and Trey Cool plays ZXTs or something ... I don't get it.

But a great sounding cymbal is a great sounding cymbal! Who wouldnt wanna use it (besides T.C. and others)?

But his drumming isn't incredibly metal influenced. He has too many chops for that haha. His fills are metal influenced, but other than that it's mostly latin. And I don't think the Dark Energy Ride is bright and cutting enough for a metal band.
Old 03-13-2006, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Now he has alot of technique, but i wouldn't say he's anywhere near touching Greb's musicality (and Benny still has the upper hand by just a little technique wise)

And i don't hear Eloy doing any grooving like ya see Greb doing. He's just busting out his licks. When a few of my friends and family so him on the dvd, first thing they said was,

"Where's the groove?"
I have to agree here. His licks are amazing, but that isn't what drumming is about. Is it?

Who can he play with (besides metal) and not over power them with 40 bass drum strokes every three seconds? It's seems everything was interspersed with bass drum stuff. Anyone can play fast in spurts. Yes he is doing good for a 14 year old. But, at some point, he's gonna have to learn to groove if he is ever going to play outside the metal gigs.

The Dissenter,

Steph
Old 03-13-2006, 08:49 PM
Pioneer Member

seen that a while ago. but still amazes me, that kid has awesome four way cordination!
Old 03-14-2006, 06:06 PM

Default Re: Eloy Casagrande: 14 year old drummer

aargh! he is only 5 months older than me and makes me look like I started playing yesterday (the reality is 3 years- all wasted now by the looks of it). Good for him, but my ego has taken a huge blow. Stupid child prodigies.
Old 03-17-2006, 01:16 AM

yeah this kid is amazing, his technique and everything makes me speechless.
but it does in a way motavate me....im not quite 14 ....but i belive u no....u can be as good as you want.

you just have to want really bad

practice 2 hours everyday
everything n stuff
Old 03-17-2006, 05:07 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Consider this: Children who start to learn a language before age 12 are more likely accept the language and will learn faster than if they were to start after age 12. If you learn an activity before age 12, and continue with it and practice it daily, you are more likely to become better than someone who starts after age 12. At a younger age, you are constantly learn, and therefore, your brain is more receptive. Kids at the young ages are so good because they still have time to learn a lot more. I learned this from a Muzzy Commercial. Next time you see a 4 year old with the ability to play Moby Dick; don't be discouraged - it's not your fault.

- Marc
Pretty true. But not really. Its almost all about practice devotion and motivation. I use to practice about 1-2 hours a day. Now becuase i just started high school the hw has been piling on and im only able to get a half hour of practicing if im lucky.
Old 03-17-2006, 05:19 PM

"sniff" thanx people. You lot really now how to cheer up a depressed adolescent drummer. I love this place.
Old 03-17-2006, 06:04 PM

I believe he's going to do a clinic at a local drum store here in Illinois in the next month or so. Not sure if I'd want to go, because I never thought I'd get jealous of anything a 14 year old would do! lol
Old 03-20-2006, 05:02 AM

I think this kid is really good but I dont like his style. and I think personal style and chops should be at the same level.. but with a little bit more style. I also think that his solo kinda ran on to long, I got bored after the clave part (that was cool I thought). after that it was just random cymbals and double bass.

corey

www.facebook.com/Hackanut
Old 03-25-2006, 10:25 PM
Silver Member

WOW!!!! He is amazing and only 14 he is and is going to be raking in the $$$$ for a long time. all i can say is LUCKY!! watching that movie made me feel...well belittled shucks!
Old 03-28-2006, 07:15 PM
Silver Member

I thought he sounded pretty good...usually young guys that have chops are a little sloppy with technique but his snare was pretty crisp....I thought his latin groove with the independent left foot was his most impressive lick....

Personally I thought the other unkown guy was a way more developed player....He did a much better job of groovin and showed nice versitility....and I don't think he even broke out all his chops...
Old 03-30-2006, 03:26 AM

dang!!!!! i'm seventeen and in all the years i've been playing drums i've never seen someone at his age play with so much coordination and speed(single strokes). He's truley a unique drummer. Thats fo-sho! :-)
Old 03-31-2006, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradiddlellogram
"sniff" thanx people. You lot really now how to cheer up a depressed adolescent drummer. I love this place.
reading this thread has done the same for me. interesting about people being more able to adapt to playing at the ages of 17-24, that gives me hope because i'm not yet 17
Old 04-23-2006, 07:32 PM

Quote:

"Where's the groove?"
Eloy is amazing. he's better at grooving even. I saw him live yesterday and he was amazing at grooving. that video is just his solo not him playing a groove.
Old 04-23-2006, 08:24 PM
Pioneer Member

I dont think eloy can groove as well as benny greb, but that doesnt mean he cant groove at all.
Old 04-24-2006, 12:29 AM
Pioneer Member

I keep seeing the old "where's the groove" pop up in this thread...I've even sceen some people judge him on his musicality...My question is....

How can you possibly judge someone's ability to groove, or be musical in a 3 minute clip of a flashy solo? I mean the kid is only 14...

For all we know this kid could totally groove, and support almost any song musically...

We should be celebrating this young talent, instead of juding him on the things we didn't see in a 3 minute clip...
Old 04-24-2006, 01:36 AM

Hey, how do I get my singles this fast? Any suggestions? Haha..
Old 04-24-2006, 01:51 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by centralzeke
Hey, how do I get my singles this fast? Any suggestions? Haha..
He's using his back fingers to push it, its not all his wrists.
Old 04-24-2006, 01:58 AM
Gold Member

You just dont see this kind of talent that much anymore unfortunatley in kids this age. Alot of kids that I see are either

A) in a close minded Travis Barker stage that cant expand themselves musically because all they play is blink 182 and green day.

or

B) in a close minded bonham stage where they try to play like bonham and fail miserably but still think theyre good and put him up as god because he can play bass-tom-snare triplets
Old 04-24-2006, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLittle123
He's using his back fingers to push it, its not all his wrists.
I know, I can actually do finger control but only with my dominant hand.
Old 05-30-2006, 01:25 PM
Founder Drummerworld

Message from Eloy:

Hey Bernhard,

Thank you very much, from my heart, for adding me to the drummerworld website. I really could not believe when I saw it, it was like a dream... it's of a great value to me!!

I fell very honored and happy for being part of it.. I access drummerworld for a long time and your job is incredible, excellent... I learn a lot, check out for doubts, etc... Congratulations for your fantastic job, it's a treasure for the world!!!

Success to you always!!!

Thank you and may God bless you in all your activities.

Best regards,

Ely Casagrande
Old 05-30-2006, 02:37 PM

Eloy is amazing, no doubt. But it seems as if he gets very tired at the end, does anyone else see this??
Old 06-04-2006, 08:42 AM

All you guys have no ear! This kid is playing a fascinating Brazilian drumming, some samba, batucada and all kind of Latin stuff. The clave was very nice; he kept the time almost in the whole solo. That is real Brazilian drumming!! This stuff i have never heard in any other drummer, his skills are awesome, very fast, his double pedal is awesome and well used, what kind of coordination is that! I like him better than anyone because he is not just licks and chops. He has rhythm (and in the beginning he started playing some type of rhythmical stuff that i guess he made up). That is a real talent. I thought Tony roister was incredible but this kid is uuuuuuhhhhhhhhhh! Yeah at the end he does a kind of wear sticky on the tomes. I think the sticks are hitting something else than the heads! That is true but is incredible to keep that speed for 1 minute imaging what he did!! In addition, the kid has great groove and the one that does not hear it is not a musician (drummer).

Last edited by Rengoxxy; 06-04-2006 at 08:58 AM.
Old 06-09-2006, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATCQ
Eloy is amazing, no doubt. But it seems as if he gets very tired at the end, does anyone else see this??
I saw that too. He seemed worn out. But he has amazing finger and foot technique. I'd probably be tired after playing like that too! He so good rights now its scary...just imagine 5 or 10 years down the road...

My Kit
Old 06-20-2006, 10:46 PM

did you guys know that he is Aquiles Priester's student? he is the drummer for Angra, this brazillian metal band. amazing drummer. it was he that brought eloy to the md festival i think.
Old 06-30-2006, 03:42 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernhard
Message from Eloy:
That's wonderful Bernhard! I bet its every drummer's dream to be mentioned on your website. He deserves it!
Old 07-25-2006, 02:55 AM

This kid is awesome. I wish I started to play younger aaaarrrggghhh!!!!
Old 07-28-2006, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollymosher
hey guys... i will be 15 in march (also march marks my 1st full year of playing) and WOW that kid is fast... but i still think i started 6 years to late

No man! you started it out just real fine! Me, myself started drumming just at the age of 15...but this eloy kid, rocks my drumming world out!
Old 09-18-2006, 09:32 PM
dib da drummer

WOW,

Now that's a talented drummer. I don't care how old or young he is. Eloy will be heard from again, and when he does emerge from the teenage years, look out world. What an impressive guy! Wheww.... he can play!
Old 09-23-2006, 10:53 PM

very good. i liked his snare sound alot. Some constructive critisim would be add accents make the sound vary.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:27 PM

HAHAHAHAHA!!!!! the kids burnin' I don't want to hear where's the groove or where's the beef or? BS! I can already hear someone ready to cut him down because he isn't using trad grip please don't bother... it's slammin'

Last edited by Kenny Aldrich; 09-23-2006 at 11:52 PM.
Old 09-27-2006, 11:44 PM

Default Re: Eloy Casagrande

All I can say is that this kid makes me proud both as a fellow drummer and as a native Brazilian.

Last edited by Mr. Helm; 09-28-2006 at 07:39 PM.