DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 02-24-2006, 06:10 AM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: 14 year old drummer who made me weep.

jesus, that kid is amazing. finally there is a true prodigy, not just some kid with only chops. that four way coordination was crazy, drummers that have been playing for 10 years are lucky to do that. 100% props, i think we have another Dave Weckl on our hands.

Quote:
He basically played the same stuff over and over, while mixing in some Afro-Cuban stuff which was the most impressive, but still lacking in over-all purpose.
here we go again, another person that wont give credit where credit is due. FOR CHRIST SAKE HES FOURTEEN!!!

--The great Bonzo himself
Old 02-24-2006, 06:32 AM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garvin
I'm sure I'll be tarred and feathered for this... I'll try to be as diplomatic as possible.
Yes, I'm very impressed by his speed.
I won't tar or feather you. My flatmate got the MD2005 DVD the other day and we had a watch. He loved Eloy, thought he was the best thing on the DVD - even moreso than Jason Bittner or Chris Adler (he's a metal guy) and surprisingly even more than guys like Jojo Meyer or Keith Carlock.

Personally I didn't get it. He's an amazing, amazing player for a kid that age. Better than me now, and he's more than a decade younger. Astonishing. But from a musical perspective I didn't really enjoy what he did. The other "undiscovered" guy (Jon Willis) on the MD2k5 DVD did it for me a lot more - he had a lot less chops on show, but I think I'm in love with his cymbal set and he was hardly slack on the incredible chops front either.

And still younger than me. D'oh.
Old 02-24-2006, 06:37 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnhiggins
Personally I didn't get it. He's an amazing, amazing player for a kid that age. Better than me now, and he's more than a decade younger. Astonishing. But from a musical perspective I didn't really enjoy what he did
Yea i agree. He has nice speed and all but i didn't see anything that really caught my attention musically. As for whether he was better than Virgil, I wouldn't say so. None the less, he's a very good drummer.

Last edited by DogBreath; 02-24-2006 at 08:31 AM. Reason: Edited to fix formatting
Old 02-24-2006, 08:07 AM
Pioneer Member

I'm thinking "Mini Mike Portnoy". The influence is obvious. Very impressive at such a young age. Can't wait to see where he ends up in 10 years.
Old 02-24-2006, 08:29 AM

Wow after watching that I am ashamed to even say that I play the drums.These darn prodigy kids....they depress me.It sucks knowing I will never be as good as some 14 year old kid is now.

"16th notes...WHOOOOOH I like that" - Bernard "Pretty" Purdie
Old 02-24-2006, 02:29 PM
Pioneer Member

reminden me of Jimmy DeGrasso..
im shocked..
Old 02-24-2006, 03:50 PM
mlehnertz

Perhaps his teacher, Aquiles Priester, should get some respect as well. He has raw talent but his prowess isn't by accident.

Apparently his teacher is into "brazillian metal", which you can see is an influence in his playing. The latin clave/woodblock pattern in his left foot is pretty obvious. I can only imagine the chops his teacher must have. I can't find any videos of him in a quick search, but there's got to be something out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernhard
I will put up this great guy this weekend - with Video

Bernhard
Old 02-24-2006, 04:37 PM
KARL MEMBER

If you wanna compare: I`m just crap against this playing man!!!!
I`m speechless, it is just amazing!

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 02-24-2006, 05:34 PM

Yeah...seeing something like this sure makes you take stock of you own playing. It also makes you aware of your own limitations. I've taken up playing again at 44 after many years away from it and it is somewhat disheartening to realize that I will never in my lifetime even come close to matching that kind of technical skill. Apart from the fact that what we are looking at here with Eloy is more than just hours of practice, as I mentioned in an earlier post this boy simply has a gift. I could practice 10 hours a day for the next 10 years and not come close to matching him, and that is probably true for 99% of people on this forum. But that is my point. I don't have the ability to practice 8 to 10 hours a day on drumming...first I have to work for a living...and second my wife would throw me out of the house if that was all I did when I was home.

So where does that leave most of us?...well I guess it's the old cliche of being the best that you can be. I know there is more to drumming then speed and chops but I think a lot of the time we just pull out that reasoning when we have been humbled by seeing someone like Eloy play.

For you youngsters out there who can still dream the dream of approaching that kind of technical skill my hat is off to you...now get down in the basement and get to work. I wish I had...
Old 02-24-2006, 06:42 PM

The Afro C. stuff was truly impressive - that left foot clave and the tricks with the blocks were amazing to watch. Thought his time throughout was really solid and, sure, the 'musicality' might have been weak but this was an exhibition solo to showcase a particular approach to playing the instrument. Nothing wrong with speed and flash - we all love it to some degree, and this kid does it well. Stuff like the WFD and other forms of 'sport drumming' simply add interesting elements to the rich tapestry of percussion.

In the late 80's, my teacher showed me a tape of a kid performing a solo on the "Tonight Show' - don't remember his name (think it was Italian) - and he played like a 9 year old Tony Williams. Very musical. Often wonder what happened to him. And there was this documentary around the same time about a poor African American kid who only had a plastic bucket to play on but was amazing. Anyone know who that was and what happened to him? Think I remember MD helping him out.

Prodigies are always fascinating (regardless of the instrument) and the pressure must be really tough once they're discovered. Unfortunately, there seems to be a high level of burnout and disappointment later in life for many. But some do survive their 'kid genius' trials and grow up to thrive, kids like...Buddy Rich ('Traps').

Oh, and Karl, you're far from 'crap' - I've heard your stuff. Keep it up, man!

Last edited by Loge; 03-14-2006 at 09:12 PM. Reason: Tony...Williams, not Royster
Old 02-24-2006, 06:58 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonham to the moon
jesus, that kid is amazing. finally there is a true prodigy, not just some kid with only chops. that four way coordination was crazy, drummers that have been playing for 10 years are lucky to do that. 100% props, i think we have another Dave Weckl on our hands.

here we go again, another person that wont give credit where credit is due. FOR CHRIST SAKE HES FOURTEEN!!!
I am giving credit where it is due... His speed I will freely credit NOT his musicianship. Yes he's 14 but that means less and less to me as I see the amount of 12-14 yr olds who have much more musicality in their own virtuostic playing. Among the young virtuosos out there I find this extremely mediocre playing. I cannot do this, but I'm not jealous or bitter. I'm being critical. I don't fault anyone else for enjoying it.
Old 02-24-2006, 07:18 PM

wow

i give up

20 characters
Old 02-24-2006, 08:20 PM

Good lawd!!! That just ain't right!! ;-)
Old 02-24-2006, 11:30 PM
KARL MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loge

Oh, and Karl, you're far from 'crap' - I've heard your stuff. Keep it up, man!
really, thanks! but I`m crap if you compare my stuff with his stuff, or??...

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 02-24-2006, 11:43 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:

And those cymbals.... I don't know if it was the recording quality, or the website or what, but I thought they sounded absolutely terrible. Tinny and soul-less.

I would have to say that for the most part its the transfer to YouTube (which, no doubt, is illegal)

His cymbals are all Paiste, from different lines. Although some are from lower lines, the ones from lets say the 2002 line up sound great! That of course, includes the fantastic ride he's playing. the Dark Energy ride. props for such a killer choice, hehe.

Yeah don't go searching for your new cymbals being influenced by the sound from this video. Ya gotta hear them for real.
Old 02-24-2006, 11:45 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
I'm sure I'll be tarred and feathered for this... I'll try to be as diplomatic as possible.

He has amazing chops, much faster that I could ever hope (or want) to be. I would love to hear him play with a band, though he may have to be mildly sedated in order to share the stage with anyone else. He has the ability to make great music, but I found this solo utterly devoid of musicality. He basically played the same stuff over and over, while mixing in some Afro-Cuban stuff which was the most impressive, but still lacking in over-all purpose.

And those cymbals.... I don't know if it was the recording quality, or the website or what, but I thought they sounded absolutely terrible. Tinny and soul-less.

Now before I am torn apart, remember I'm not trying to insult anyone for liking this kind of thing, and it is unlike me to be critical of things I don't like- I usually just keep my mouth shut, but I was extremely distraught at the fact that there was almost no real critique of the clip.

Yes, I'm very impressed by his speed.
i do agree with you, he does do the same stuff over and over again but still... hes fast. and once again i wud like to see who would win in a d-battle me or him.
Old 02-25-2006, 12:07 AM
Gold Member

wow totaly amazing.....i'm only 16 and i cant do half that stuff and hes 14!!!! just imagine how great he'll be when hes 30 or so...wow!
Old 02-25-2006, 12:12 AM

NOPE! No good. I heard some rim clicks at the end. It's all over. Solo's a bust!

NOT!

Holy moly! That kid has some VERY nice licks! The double bass is out of control. Wow!
Old 02-25-2006, 02:03 AM
Guinness

That was ridiculous. I quit.
Old 02-25-2006, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A Drummer
i do agree with you, he does do the same stuff over and over again but still... hes fast. and once again i wud like to see who would win in a d-battle me or him.
Unless you are the second coming of tony royster jr. then probably him. But hey, if you are actually comparable to this kid please post some videos, i love seeing kids who are so talented, its really inspirational.
Old 02-25-2006, 04:20 AM
Silver Member

What a little freak.
My keyboard is soaked from drooling over his kit. Looks like a Noble Cooley...

Noble & Cooley Horizon Reissue, Craviotto Solid Maple 4-Piece
Old 02-25-2006, 06:46 AM

Hey that guy is great! I thought that the Afro-Cuban bit was the best. Many responses seem to be "he plays the same chops stuff over and over". I actually thought that Tony Royster JR's clip had more chops and less groove.

Even if he wasn't 14 years old, I would be impressed.
Old 02-25-2006, 07:00 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky_McPot
I actually thought that Tony Royster JR's clip had more chops and less groove.

I might just have to say that I want to refute that a little bit. If you really take a look at Tony's 12 year old clip (i'm assuming that's the one your referring to), Eloy is actually doing alot more technically advanced things. The fills are faster and the ostinatos (i.e. left foot clave) are more complicated than in Tony's solo. And Eloy's double bass is pretty rocking too, and if you pay attention Tony didnt go nearly as fast.

Not that I think Eloy's solo is better because he displayed more technique. In fact I'm the opposite, I thought Tony's techniques, although maybe a little less advanced, were more unique and interesting to watch for me personally. As well as the way you can tell how a drummer percieves rhythm and time, I thought Eloy was very straightforward in that regard and Tony seemed to have a more in depth understanding of different rhythmic structures that you see examples of in certain hi hat grooves he played and certain rhythmic illusions he actually pulls off, always good stuff.
Old 02-25-2006, 07:22 AM

You guys should check out some of the gospel drummers out there. On gospelchops.com there is an 8 yr old kid who seems to have effortless chops and nice groove too. I think in general there are a bunch of future great studio drummer among the gospel musicians.
Old 02-25-2006, 07:24 AM

Great chops for any age. But I would be interested to hear him play in a band . Would he ba able to lay down a solid groove or would he be all over the place over using those great chops? He's a good drummer, but what kind of musician is he?
Old 02-25-2006, 07:37 AM

holy shiznit. that kid has got some skills. hes going places for sure.
Old 02-25-2006, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheen
You guys should check out some of the gospel drummers out there. On gospelchops.com there is an 8 yr old kid who seems to have effortless chops and nice groove too. I think in general there are a bunch of future great studio drummer among the gospel musicians.
i totally agree cheen...i've been preaching that for a while. gospel drummers are absolute monsters on the kit.

this kid is extremely good. with the name he has, and the style he has, it makes me wonder if he's a latin-influenced drummer...
Old 02-25-2006, 08:12 AM
Casper "DrPowerStroke" Paludan Casper "DrPowerStroke" Paludan is offline
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Class A Drummer
Thats u doing the solo? wow i wanna have a drum battle with you.
Well, an easy way to do it is just videotape yourself playing a solo, and then intersperse yourself with Casagrande (or whomever you want to battle with). I am sure we will all enjoy watching you blow him off the stage, like Animal did, um, Buddy.
DPS
Old 02-25-2006, 08:45 AM

Brilliant idea ! We could all witness a virtual battle right here on the forum.
Old 02-25-2006, 10:03 AM
Pioneer Member

This kid is livin it up! Major props. He has the chops to shame the lot of us. He's 14 he can work on his groove for a looong time. But a little word from the wise, Jack Dejohnette that is, "don't let your technique cloud your ideas". This kid can get a lot of ideas!!!! Can't wait to see or hear more about him. He's like a Dave Weckl fused with Vinnie right now, I want to fuse some Gadd in that then we have the perfect Drummenstein!! muahahaha......
Peace
Old 02-25-2006, 06:39 PM
Pioneer Member

WOW this kid is great, correct me if I'm wrong but do I sense a bit of Thomas Lang influence in his playing style? Can't wait to see him 5 years from now.

Animal Life Savers
Old 02-25-2006, 07:27 PM
Founder Drummerworld

Default Video: Eloy Casagrande

Just put up the great performance of 14 year old Eloy Casagrande at the Modern Drummer Festival 2005:

http://www.drummerworld.com/wishlist...asagrande.html

Bernhard
Old 02-25-2006, 07:29 PM
Founder Drummerworld

Just put up the great performance of 14 year old Eloy Casagrande at the Modern Drummer Festival 2005:

http://www.drummerworld.com/wishlist...asagrande.html

Bernhard
Old 02-25-2006, 07:52 PM
Stu_Strib

Default Re: Video: Eloy Casagrande

Damn, these young kids are just getting better and better!

I think Mike D'Angelo's performance was more interesting, but this kid has better "chops". I really like the use of single strokes around the kit; some of the most tasteful use of "fast" I've seen in a while.

stu
Old 02-25-2006, 08:15 PM
mlehnertz

He is? He doesn't exhibit any of the musicality that Weckl displays in his solos nor does he exhibit the polyrhythm skills that Vinnie has. He's about speed and flash right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSoul546
He's like a Dave Weckl fused with Vinnie right now...hahaha......
Peace
Old 02-25-2006, 08:18 PM
Senior Consultant

Eloy sounds fantastic... A ton of chops, and he knows how to use them.
He'll be a great when he learns not to use them.
Old 02-25-2006, 10:09 PM

That kid was great! I wish I could play like that.
Old 02-25-2006, 10:54 PM

Default Re: Video: Eloy Casagrande

Wow. I wonder what his parents feed him.
Old 02-25-2006, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlehnertz
He is? He doesn't exhibit any of the musicality that Weckl displays in his solos nor does he exhibit the polyrhythm skills that Vinnie has. He's about speed and flash right now.
Did you actually watch the video? That kid has more skill and talent than ANY of the home made videos on this site. That's not my "opinion", that's a fact. Nobody here can bash that kid.

That seems to be all I hear anymore is "musicality". That means entirely different things to different people. I hear a lot of "musicallity" in his playing. Polyrhythms aren't the end of the earth either. Some people are into them and some are not, it doesn't mean that one is better than the other.

Let's give some credit where credit is due. Let's not sit back and judge people who are out in the world giving it all they have and doing what we wish we could be doing.

Are you better than this kid?...Post a video.
Old 02-25-2006, 11:29 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpekarek
Did you actually watch the video? That kid has more skill and talent than ANY of the home made videos on this site. That's not my "opinion", that's a fact. Nobody here can bash that kid.

Are you better than this kid?...Post a video.

He didn't say HE was better (or any members of this forum), he said Weckl and Coluita were.

And I think most would stand by that.