DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 11-19-2011, 11:17 PM

Default 80's Cover Band Setup Help

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice on a drum setup for playing with an 80's cover band. This is mostly for just having fun with friends and playing in some small bars and clubs. Here's what I need:

1. Some type of drum machine for programing drums and/or bass parts for certain tunes that require this and using it in a live setting.

2. E-drum kit. I need this for portability and space concerns.

3. In addition to drum sounds, drum beats, and occasional simple bass line programming, I'd also like the capability to trigger chord/orchestral hits and other sounds from the 80's electronic bands.

I've looked at the Akai XR20 and the MPC500/1000 (getting kinda pricey) as well as the Roland TD4KX2. I've heard a lot of good things about the TD9KX2 but I don't want to break the bank on a project that is mostly just for fun. The closer I can stay to $1500.00 the better so I'm looking for suggestions in that range but, I'd go as high as $2300 with some good convincing. :-)

Thank you for your help!

-Amy
Old 11-19-2011, 11:21 PM
Doctor Dirt

Default Re: 80's Cover Band Setup Help

Drum Machines????? I think your in the wrong spot!!!! Drum Machine!!!!

you are aware that some here a pro players and that drum machines aren't exactly a tool to us more like a................................never mind!!

Last edited by Doctor Dirt; 11-20-2011 at 12:10 AM.
Old 11-20-2011, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Drum Machines????? I think your in the wrong spot!!!! Drum Machine!!!!
Thanks for your help, Dr. Dirt...

Is there anyone here, that might have a more thoughtful response to my question regarding the combined use of a drum machine and e-drums for an 80's cover band? Thank you.

-Amy
Old 11-20-2011, 01:13 AM
Platinum Member

You might want to look into the Roland SPD-S, It's a sampler. About the size of a lap top. With 9 on board triggers. The newer Roland SPD-SX is bringing down the prices of used SPD-S (I paid $325, for mine) ... combine the SPD-S with any e-kit (or a-kit, for that matter) ... and you've got the 80's ...
Being the SPD-S is a sampler, bass lines, horn sections, monologues from the tonight show, whatever ... you want it, you sample it, trigger it, SPD-S plays it back.
Johnny Rabb is the demo guy for Roland, and you can find YouTube video of him in action .... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Im_JWkT6aTg
Old 11-20-2011, 03:27 AM

Quote:
Being the SPD-S is a sampler, bass lines, horn sections, monologues from the tonight show, whatever ... you want it, you sample it, trigger it, SPD-S plays it back.
Johnny Rabb is the demo guy for Roland, and you can find YouTube video of him in action ....
Thanks for the suggestion. I will check it out!
Old 11-20-2011, 02:32 PM
Gold Member

I have a Roland set for apt. practice and the pre-programmed set named "Arena" has an awesome 80's sound...love the snare sound on it!!!!
Old 11-22-2011, 04:08 PM

Quote:
I have a Roland set for apt. practice and the pre-programmed set named "Arena" has an awesome 80's sound...love the snare sound on it!!!!
OK thanks. Which Roland set do you use in your apartment? Would it be suitable for live performance?

Thanks agian!