DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:34 AM
Rebel

Default Judas Priest Drummers

Hi fellows:

It seems that every lowly JP drummers neither are/were not credited as being part of the official band, nor recognized for their drumming work as well.

Let's get to know them: From left to right, top to bottom.

1. John Ellis - First Priest drummer (1969-1970) appears on no albums.

2. Alan Moore - (1971, 1975-1976) - Two times, once in Pre-Halford era for 1 year, then came back and appeared on "Sad Wings of Destiny."

3. Chris Campbell - (1971-1973) Appears on no albums Pre-Halford. Rocked a big afro.

4. John Hinch - (1973-1975) He only played on "Rocka Rolla"

5. Simon Phillips - (1977) Session musician and drummer played on "Sin After Sin." One of my favourite rock albums...guess why?

6. Les Binks - (1978-1980) He brilliantly played double bass drum on "Stained Class", "Killing Machine." and "Unleashed In The East." My personal opinion Les was the most technical drummer back then. In additon, he contributed on the song - Beyond The Realms of Death...

7. Dave Holland - (1980-1989) "British Steel," "Point of Entry," "Screaming For Vengeance," "Defenders of the Faith," "Turbo," "Priest...Live" and "Ram It Down."

8. Scott Travis - (1993-present) He appears on "Painkiller", "Jugulator", "Demolition", "Angel of Retribution" and "Nostradamus."

I hope you enjoy it!

Cheers,

Ian
Attached Images

Old 11-16-2011, 08:25 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Default Re: Judas Priest Drummers

Hello Ian

Good and very informative thread you've started here :-))

I discovered Judas Priest with the Sin After Sin album, as my hero of the time, Simon Phillips was on it...

I have followed the band's discography for a few years, and except Sin After Sin, which is my favourite JP album (wonder why?), my favourite album is British Steel.

Here's one I liked: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DxsSV...eature=related

I wasn't familiar with early drummers of JP, so thanks Ian for naming and showing these drummers.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:29 PM
Rebel

Dear Henri -

I really appreciate your valuable comments about it.

That's one of my objectives here is to share information with the colleagues and community. I mainly focus on analizyng, studying drummers profile of different playing styles.

"Britsh Steel and Screaming For Vengeance" are two albums that I like to listen a lot, Dave Holland was the drummer back then - who did the job that was asked for...to play for the song in a less technical approach than his predecessor - Mr. Les Binks.

Many Thanks...Ian
Old 11-16-2011, 11:49 PM

Cool info. I love Judas Priest and was bummed to have just missed their concert here in Phoenix about a month ago (Heard it was a blast). Priest was the beginning of my metal journey. I think I listened to the Painkiller and Jugulator albums about a million times. I love much of their catalog and whenever one of their songs comes on the radio, it stays there.

When I first started playing guitar I used to dream about being able to play the solo from "A Touch of Evil" and the ending solo of "Beyond The Realms of Death"

And I didn't know Simon Phillips played on that album. Wow.
Old 11-17-2011, 12:21 AM
Rebel

Yes - a young Simon Phillips around 19 years old played drums on Sin After Sin album. You must listen to: Sinner, Starbreaker, Raw Deal, Call of the Priest...

Both Priest guitar players are amazing but I like the raw power solo´s of K.K. Downing he has that Jimi Hendrix touch and vibe.

Cheers...Ian
Old 11-17-2011, 01:02 AM
Platinum Member

I seen JP last summer & they still have it really good concert. My fav. JP drummer is Scott Travis the guys a monster I also like the work he did in "Fight" Rob Halford's solo group.

Thanks for sharing Ian,
Bonzolead
Old 11-17-2011, 01:13 AM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Williams View Post
Yes - a young Simon Phillips around 19 years old played drums on Sin After Sin album. You must listen to: Sinner, Starbreaker, Raw Deal, Call of the Priest...

Both Priest guitar players are amazing but I like the raw power solo´s of K.K. Downing he has that Jimi Hendrix touch and vibe.

Cheers...Ian
If it helps... Simon Phillips was born on 6th february 1957.
Old 11-17-2011, 02:30 AM
Rebel

Bonzolead - I will like to know your real name brother, because we have shared so much on this forum.

Scott plays an amazing drumming on FIGHT - War of Words album. Songs like "Nailed To The Gun", "Into The Pit", "Kill It", "Contortion" are a real blast!!!

Thanks for bringing that up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonzolead View Post
I seen JP last summer & they still have it really good concert. My fav. JP drummer is Scott Travis the guys a monster I also like the work he did in "Fight" Rob Halford's solo group.

Thanks for sharing Ian,

Bonzolead
Old 11-17-2011, 02:38 AM
Rebel

Good! always open for some help...So Mr.Phillips was 20 years old back then and now 54.

I was born on 7th of February, Simon and I are Aquarius! Now understand where the close feeling comes from...

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Drums View Post
If it helps... Simon Phillips was born on 6th february 1957.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:34 PM

I responded to an ad on Craigslist yesterday from a vocalist requesting a drummer for a Priest cover band. He better have a Halford voice or he's going to find himself BETWEEN THE HAMMER AND THE ANVIL!! *cue Priest riffs*
Old 11-18-2011, 09:14 PM
Rebel

...and I bet He doesn´t want to be on that Anvil!!!
Old 11-25-2011, 07:13 PM
Rebel

Dear fellows - here are few videos with John Hinch on the drums, during "Rocka Rolla" phase.

Judas Priest - Dreamer Deceiver:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUQcP...eature=related

Judas Priest - Rocka Rolla:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDt40...eature=related
Old 12-31-2016, 06:49 AM

Does anyone know what Simon Phillips equipment/gear/set up cymbals, drums&heads wise he used on the "Sin after Sin" album?
Old 12-31-2016, 05:47 PM
Ghostnote

I had no idea that Priest had so many drummers over the years. Screaming For Vengeance is one of THE best albums from that classic early 80's period. Probably my favourite. If you listen to those songs, a lot of them were kinda like very well crafted pop tunes, just played with lots of distortion, energy, and crazy, shrieking vocals. Hard to imagine in today's musical climate just how popular that genre was at the time. I was 11 or 12 when that album came out and I remember the metal wave that was just breaking and dominating the charts. It was all so new and it was a very exciting time for a young kid who loved music more than just about anything else.
Old 12-31-2016, 11:07 PM

Right on. Priest shaped my musical influence probably greater than any other group. I've always found it a shame that a great many recognize Priest for a relatively small and simple sampling of their material. In my humble opinion, albums like Sad Wings, Stained Class, and Sin After Sin are masterpieces.
Also, myself and a coworker buddy playing Screaming for Vengence on the stereo system at work to the point it was hard to hear customers = best day at a minimum wage job I ever had.
Old 01-01-2017, 02:32 AM
Platinum Member

When I think of Judas Priest drummers, I always think of how high that riser was at the Us festival in 83. I'll bet that drummer didn't see the band the entire set.

Old 01-01-2017, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzodownunder View Post
Does anyone know what Simon Phillips equipment/gear/set up cymbals, drums&heads wise he used on the "Sin after Sin" album?
"Ludwig Octaplus with two 22" kicks and 6" through 18" toms. Not sure which snare, probably a 6,5"x14" Rogers Dyna-Sonic. The cymbals were Zildjians."

The above is from Modern Drummer Ask A Pro June 2005.
Old 01-02-2017, 03:56 PM
Silver Member

Scott Travis is highly skilled yet doesn't seem to let ego determine what he plays. If he plays something complex or fast it sounds right for the part. I think he's the quintessential metal drummer, and strikes me as someone who really loves what he does, and loves the music.
Old 01-03-2017, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
When I think of Judas Priest drummers, I always think of how high that riser was at the Us festival in 83. I'll bet that drummer didn't see the band the entire set.

I found British Steel first but this is a huge memory as video of bands was scarce in those days.

I also remember how Dave's kit was wavering around on that huge riser. Not a very stable platform, I'm sure.
Old 01-03-2017, 12:19 PM
Silver Member

I recently read an unauthorised biography on the band so I know the drummers names from that.
What I would say is that as musicians ourselves we might be aware of the number of other musicians we've played with over the years who could with some justification lay claim to being an early band member if we hit the big time, but who we barely remember (& they barely remember us) 20 or 30 years later saying as our bands never never took off. It's all part of the merry go round of band life while looking for that line up that works. Sitting here now creating a make believe Rock Family Tree of my band in my head I can think of two guitarists, a singer and a bass player who's names I MIGHT remember if I put my mind to it but who are largely lost to the mists of time.

The drummers that stand out to me from Priest are Les Binks (I maintain that Unleashed In The East was the first album of the modern Metal era and not British Steel) & I cut my teeth listening to and attempting to play along to the albums he played on.
Next is Dave Holland, solid, heavy, better than many give him credit for and Rapid Fire is just one track to showcase him. However he's since become persona non grata following his prison sentence.
Scott Travis is the third. To be honest I don't hold Painkiller in the same high esteem as many people do, I preferred it when Priest were themselves as opposed to feeling the need to drag themselves into/compete with the 90s bands, but the album has grown on me and Scott Travis' playing was and still is superb. I last saw them live a couple of years back on the Epitaph tour and when you watch him he barely seems to be trying! Anyone who's good at what they do always makes it look easy but I get the feeling that he cleverly uses the mics and tuning on his kit to do the work rather than having to attack the drums from a height. I've also incorporated a bit of his style of playing both the hi hat and the snare with my right hand while shifting my left to the the hi hat when I move my right hand to the snare