DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 11-11-2011, 11:16 PM

Default New bass head DEFECTIVE???????...

I received my new Ludwig Centennials which shipped with Remo UT heads. The bass batter is a PS3 copy. It was not installed on the drum (as the toms are shipped within the bass drum). When I pulled the head out of the plastic, the head was popped inside out and there seemed to be way too much slack or play in the head with plenty of wrinkles. When I installed the head, I had to tension it to med-tight tension to get all the wrinkles out. I like some tone to my bass so that was (almost) ok, but I CANNOT get a decent sound out of this head. And I'm not being picky at this point for a particular sound. Just want something half way decent. Sounds papery until tensioned to a HIGH tom like tuning. Do you guys think it might be damaged or is this just the nature of stock bass batters?

Should I contact ludwig or the dealer? Or should I just cut my losses. If I replace it, it will be with a similar style head (no emad or super muffled head) so I could have lived with a PS3 copy with a crimped collar like the Remo UT heads. I feel that after dropping over a G, I should expect serviceable heads. If Ludwig replaces it, I'll probably get another UT copy. Something tells me I'm screwed.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:22 PM
sticks4drums

Default Re: New bass head DEFECTIVE???????...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Haircut View Post
I received my new Ludwig Centennials which shipped with Remo UT heads. The bass batter is a PS3 copy. It was not installed on the drum (as the toms are shipped within the bass drum). When I pulled the head out of the plastic, the head was popped inside out and there seemed to be way too much slack or play in the head with plenty of wrinkles. When I installed the head, I had to tension it to med-tight tension to get all the wrinkles out. I like some tone to my bass so that was (almost) ok, but I CANNOT get a decent sound out of this head. And I'm not being picky at this point for a particular sound. Just want something half way decent. Sounds papery until tensioned to a HIGH tom like tuning. Do you guys think it might be damaged or is this just the nature of stock bass batters?

Should I contact ludwig or the dealer? Or should I just cut my losses. If I replace it, it will be with a similar style head (no emad or super muffled head) so I could have lived with a PS3 copy with a crimped collar like the Remo UT heads. I feel that after dropping over a G, I should expect serviceable heads. If Ludwig replaces it, I'll probably get another UT copy. Something tells me I'm screwed.
It sounds like it got damaged somewhere along the way if it was popped inside out. My Saturn's came with Emperors, over Ambassadors with PS3 on the bass drum that were crimped and not glued. I was told that they crimp them in Korea because the glue is not allowed there. Mine sound great. Maybe you should just show them the damaged one, and they might just give you a North American PS3 to get it solved for you. That is what I would do. Good luck.
Old 11-11-2011, 11:41 PM
Platinum Member

Yes, contact the store you bought it from, and tell them. They or Ludwig should provide another head. Good luck.

Gretsch Catalina toms and BD / Pacific SX Series (snare) / Sabian / Evans / Vater
Old 11-12-2011, 12:20 AM
audiotech

Yep, take it back.

Dennis
Old 11-12-2011, 12:47 AM

I'm almost embarrassed to nag about it, but a new head is ~$40. Not cheap!
Old 11-12-2011, 01:03 AM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils Haircut View Post
I'm almost embarrassed to nag about it, but a new head is ~$40. Not cheap!
Its your money. You bought a new kit, you should get new undamaged heads.
Old 11-12-2011, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
Its your money. You bought a new kit, you should get new undamaged heads.
Yeah your right, but I'm not gonna bother. With some work and muffling, I got a decent JAW tuning... Although that's not normally my sound. Funny, JAW/ported reso is LOADS easier on the right foot that unported/higher tension. I'll see how JAW sounds with the band tomorrow and decide whether or not I like it. Definitely lacks the bottom I'm used to, even vs my 18" birch kick with a superkick II installed.
Old 11-13-2011, 03:09 PM
Silver Member

I would go buy a new Bass head take care of that for now and contact your dealer about replacing the head.
Old 11-16-2011, 01:39 AM
Pioneer Member

I've seen kits ship with heads that aren't even round. The bottom line is that you ALWAYS want to replace the heads the kit came with no matter what brand they say they are made by. The exception was when Gretsch was using real Evans G1s. Now they went to Gretsch heads by Evans, sort of like the Yamaha batter heads by Remo.

Ludwig makes nice drums, but the heads that come with them never seem to work very well. They may send you a "Ludwig" brand head which would be OK and better than the Remo UT stuff.