DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 11-08-2011, 10:47 AM

Default Attention Remo Coated Head Users.

If you are having issues with Remo's coating wearing off quickly contact Remo 1-800-525-5134 to have your heads replaced. Remo stand's behind their products 100%!

Remo has changed their coating to something that is environmentally friendly but it is nothing like the old coating that took a beating.

The new coating last about 20 minutes of play time on a snare head. The old coating would take weeks of months to break through.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:18 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Default Re: Attention Remo Coated Head Users.

New Remo coated heads...I don't know what they did, they sound so choked. I started steel wooling some of the coating, and in the middle I removed it entirely, exposing the film underneath. Older Remos had clear film underneath, the one I messed with last week had white-ish, translucent-ish film. I do NOT like the sound of new Remo coateds. I swear those new Remo heads cut the sustain of the note down to 1/3 of what it used to be. Just bad.

They totally killed the tone of my one snare drum. I had to remove the new head and put an old one on there. Then it came back alive.

G2's for me from now on.

I never had problems with Remo's coating wearing prematurely. I will tell you that the new coating on Remo heads takes about 4x as much elbow grease to remove (with steel wool) than the coating that Evans applies. Maybe that's why the Remos sound so lifeless.
Old 11-08-2011, 03:27 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kg_lee View Post
If you are having issues with Remo's coating wearing off quickly contact Remo 1-800-525-5134 to have your heads replaced. Remo stand's behind their products 100%!

Remo has changed their coating to something that is environmentally friendly but it is nothing like the old coating that took a beating.

The new coating last about 20 minutes of play time on a snare head. The old coating would take weeks of months to break through.
I don't know why but what you wrote sounds confusing to me? Maybe it's the way you worded it?
Old 11-08-2011, 04:18 PM
Platinum Member

Thanks for the weekly Remo coating update. (Or is it daily, now)

I keep buying them just to see what you guys are talking about, but so far I still haven't had an issue.

(Really I keep buying them because I like the sound better, in case the keyboard didn't convey the dripping sarcasm.)
Old 11-08-2011, 04:25 PM
Silver Member

The coating on my Remos wore through in about a day. This was last year.

Evans for me thanks.

It's pronounced "Dee-Scrape-Ruh".

Proud owner of a Ludwig Acrolite
Old 11-08-2011, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN View Post
I don't know why but what you wrote sounds confusing to me? Maybe it's the way you worded it?
To try to clear that up. I like coated heads. I usually change them when I start to break through the coating. The old coating material they used use to last quite awhile before even showing any kind of wear.

Now the coating material they switched to now is not durable at all. I can put a new head on my snare drum and play through the coating in about 20 minutes.

To me this isn't a worthy product unless you have tons of money to replace your heads all the time. I'm letting others know Remo will replace your heads if your not satisfied with the performance of the head.
Old 11-08-2011, 06:54 PM
Platinum Member

I too have bought Remo coated with no problem, in fact I switched over from Evans a year or so ago just to check Remo out. No issues with coating. To the fella who said they sound dead, did you crack the seal enough while seating the head? Just curious,as one does not have to do that with Evans heads.
Old 11-08-2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
I swear those new Remo heads cut the sustain of the note down to 1/3 of what it used to be. Just bad.

They totally killed the tone of my one snare drum. I had to remove the new head and put an old one on there. Then it came back alive.
Same here Larry! I bought an Amb for my snare two months ago and it completley dried my snare out (Premier Artist Brass 14"x6.5"), I got fed up with it last week and put on an old Fiberskyn Amb and it sounded better and had more tone/sustain/life than the regular Amb did. This has actually happened with the last two coated Ambassadors I've used so I don't think the first instance was just a "bad head".

I can't say however that I've had the same sustain problems with the coated Emps on my toms, they're still singing like the day they were put on. And nor can I say I've ever had issues with coating coming off...I genuinley don't know or get what people are doing to their drums to make this happen after a day, or even an hour of use, I still have old heads as back-ups from years back and they never wore through or chipped or anything. I'm mystified personally.

Hope everyone is well,

Kev
Old 11-08-2011, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Howden View Post
Same here Larry! I bought an Amb for my snare two months ago and it completley dried my snare out (Premier Artist Brass 14"x6.5"), I got fed up with it last week and put on an old Fiberskyn Amb and it sounded better and had more tone/sustain/life than the regular Amb did. This has actually happened with the last two coated Ambassadors I've used so I don't think the first instance was just a "bad head".

I can't say however that I've had the same sustain problems with the coated Emps on my toms, they're still singing like the day they were put on. And nor can I say I've ever had issues with coating coming off...I genuinley don't know or get what people are doing to their drums to make this happen after a day, or even an hour of use, I still have old heads as back-ups from years back and they never wore through or chipped or anything. I'm mystified personally.

Hope everyone is well,

Kev
I too have "old" Remo heads that out perform anything I bought from Remo in the last year. I giving Evans a try and so far they are holding up.

I use to change heads about every 3 months and now it's every month for the toms and weekly for my snare.
Old 11-08-2011, 08:51 PM
Platinum Member

Hmm. I have yet to experience this with any Remo head, especially the vintage emperors I just put on three weeks ago. I hope I don't. I still contend that when I tried coated Evans G2's, they sounded great, the coating looked new for a long time, but when they start to go dead, they just die.
Old 11-08-2011, 09:17 PM

Quote:
I too have "old" Remo heads that out perform anything I bought from Remo in the last year. I giving Evans a try and so far they are holding up.

I use to change heads about every 3 months and now it's every month for the toms and weekly for my snare.
Ouch! That's gotta hurt the wallet. Maybe we haven't noticed anything here in the U.K. because the stock that the shops have here is from old batches, perhaps. There was a similar thing happening with sticks before Evans took over Promark, in that state-side there seemed to be a lot of quality issues and a diving reputation for the company, yet over here they were fine.

I guess the other variables that have to be considered are: technique, the sticks you're using and the angle of the drums. It might not be any of these, who knows? But if you wanted to eliminate all the possibilities then maybe look into them.

Hope the Evans' work out for you mate!

Kev
Old 11-08-2011, 10:31 PM
Platinum Member

When did Remo change the coating?
I haven't bought a head for a few months. This last set of Coated Ambs. were fine.
The 4 snare heads I got in a couple months ago were fine as always too (BE-0114-22 Top Dot coated Emp.).

I've seen ads in the drum mags that Aquarian has changed their film recently.
It's supposed to be more lively and resonant or something (can't remember the exact wording of the ad).

I haven't seen any of the "new" product from Aquarian yet. I liked their heads before the last change, which was 10 years ago or something now.
Old 11-09-2011, 12:21 AM
Gold Member

new aquarian heads are the 2x 10mil ply (force ten on toms, and superkick ten) and the triple threat on the snare (3ply)
Old 11-09-2011, 02:10 AM
Platinum Member

Right, but in the ads, they say they changed the film they use in making the heads, not just a new model.
Old 11-09-2011, 02:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K.Howden View Post
Ouch! That's gotta hurt the wallet. Maybe we haven't noticed anything here in the U.K. because the stock that the shops have here is from old batches, perhaps. There was a similar thing happening with sticks before Evans took over Promark, in that state-side there seemed to be a lot of quality issues and a diving reputation for the company, yet over here they were fine.

I guess the other variables that have to be considered are: technique, the sticks you're using and the angle of the drums. It might not be any of these, who knows? But if you wanted to eliminate all the possibilities then maybe look into them.

Hope the Evans' work out for you mate!

Kev
It does hurt the wallet that's why I've been complaining. I have friends experiencing the same problem. It's not a technique or stick issue. I've been playing for 34 years and never had these short lived head issues. Remo refers to them as a bad batch.. so why is it happening to every head I buy. I'm on the verge of just using clears and dealing with the sound if Remo can't get a grip on their product.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:26 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
It does hurt the wallet that's why I've been complaining. I have friends experiencing the same problem. It's not a technique or stick issue. I've been playing for 34 years and never had these short lived head issues. Remo refers to them as a bad batch.. so why is it happening to every head I buy. I'm on the verge of just using clears and dealing with the sound if Remo can't get a grip on their product.
I'm glad to hear they are standing behind their product, at least. That's exactly what I would have expected. I honestly have not had a single problem with the coatings, and I hit hard and play a lot, and buy a lot of heads.

Sorry to be so sarcastic earlier. I just keep reading these threads, and it doesn't fit my experiences at all. I'm one of these guys that has to see to believe, so forgive me for the sharp tongue.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:28 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlCrafton View Post
Right, but in the ads, they say they changed the film they use in making the heads, not just a new model.
I've heard the "new" heads, and they still aren't as lively as a Remo. If a person likes a muted tone, they'd be good.
Old 11-09-2011, 04:47 AM
Platinum Member

If they've changed, I must not have bought a new one yet. Because I haven't noticed a loss of tone or premature wear on any of mine.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:00 AM

I don't know, my remos took at least a week of hard, strong beating before I noticed any coating coming off at all...

An old emperor I bought took 8 months, on a snare, for the clear head to even be slightly exposed.
Old 11-09-2011, 05:11 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8Mile View Post
If they've changed, I must not have bought a new one yet. Because I haven't noticed a loss of tone or premature wear on any of mine.
I have been hearing about this purported coating change (due to environmental regs, apparently) for years, now. I know I've gotten the new heads, and still no probs. How do I know? Well, I heard about the changeover before Remo came out with the Vintage Emperors, and I've been using those for quite a while now...
Old 11-09-2011, 05:22 AM
audiotech

I'm only using Remo heads presently on one of my kits. Last year after a head change, a chunk of coating about the size of a dime flaked off the 12" tom's Ambassador head after about a weeks time. The other heads in the kit were fine. The reason I switched from Remo to Evans about five years ago is because with a lot of brush work the Evans coated heads held up a bit better for me. To be perfectly clear, I never had any heads that only lasted 20 minutes. If I wanted, I really wouldn't have to change my snare heads for a month or more. It all depends on how frequently each kit is used.

Dennis
Old 11-09-2011, 05:38 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDDrummer View Post
I've heard the "new" heads, and they still aren't as lively as a Remo. If a person likes a muted tone, they'd be good.
Personally I find Aquarian more lively and have more tone and resonance than any of the other brands, plus they seem to last at least twice to three times as long with my playing style before starting to go dead and the lower price is a nice bonus to. As for the new head material, I just put all new heads ( batters and resos) on my kit a couple months ago and I cant say they sound or feel any different than the last time I changed heads and there is no difference between the 8 and the 18 which have a different logo than the rest of the new ones which is also different from the logo that was on the ones I took off. It will be interesting to see if the new head materials life span is > < or = to the old ones but its highly unlikely that Roy would change material if it was inferior.
Old 11-09-2011, 06:19 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tard View Post
Personally I find Aquarian more lively and have more tone and resonance than any of the other brands, plus they seem to last at least twice to three times as long with my playing style before starting to go dead and the lower price is a nice bonus to. As for the new head material, I just put all new heads ( batters and resos) on my kit a couple months ago and I cant say they sound or feel any different than the last time I changed heads and there is no difference between the 8 and the 18 which have a different logo than the rest of the new ones which is also different from the logo that was on the ones I took off. It will be interesting to see if the new head materials life span is > < or = to the old ones but its highly unlikely that Roy would change material if it was inferior.
Aquarians are cheaper in your area? Here they are the the same or a bit higher than Remo. Huh. I just checked a couple of online retailers, too, and they run neck and neck, price-wise.

Surprising that you find them livelier. I've tried their clear two ply, coated two ply, and coated one ply heads, and a Super Kick. The coated single ply was OK, the two ply heads were more subdued on my drums than their Remo counterparts, and I flat-out hated the Super Kick. Too dead-sounding. Also, the only truly defective head I've ever had was an Aquarian - the underside ply of a two-ply head pulled loose after a couple of weeks and looked wavy (the two plies no longer layed flat against one another) and the head sounded like cardboard. I'm sure Roy would have replaced it, but I didn't bother. I just bought more Remos! lol

That's why there is more than one drum head company, I guess!
Old 11-09-2011, 07:23 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Aquarians are cheaper in your area? Here they are the the same or a bit higher than Remo. Huh. I just checked a couple of online retailers, too, and they run neck and neck, price-wise.

Surprising that you find them livelier. I've tried their clear two ply, coated two ply, and coated one ply heads, and a Super Kick. The coated single ply was OK, the two ply heads were more subdued on my drums than their Remo counterparts, and I flat-out hated the Super Kick. Too dead-sounding. Also, the only truly defective head I've ever had was an Aquarian - the underside ply of a two-ply head pulled loose after a couple of weeks and looked wavy (the two plies no longer layed flat against one another) and the head sounded like cardboard. I'm sure Roy would have replaced it, but I didn't bother. I just bought more Remos! lol

That's why there is more than one drum head company, I guess!
Actually I have my heads shipped in from the USA and they are quite a bit cheaper. Check the prices at Music123 on ebay and amazon, works out about $1 an inch if your doing a whole kit. Sometimes they have package prices for multiple heads like 22" super kick batter and regulator front for $62 plus I also pay shipping to Canada which may not be applicable to many as they offer free shipping in the USA. I am surprised you find the super kick too dead as sound techs are always trying to get me to put something in my kick the get a faster decay, but I tell them: "Sorry, that is the sound I like, just dont add any delay or verb, ok?" With that said my kit is a radial pro 1000 which are known for deep warm tone and resonance without the unwanted odd harmonic high frequency overtones caused by holes and hardware distorting shell vibrations and that could be part of the reason, but, on the other hand I find all 2 ply heads no matter who makes them to be overly muffled and lifeless causing me to hit harder to try to get more than what I can only explain as a "wet cardboard" sound which limits my dynamic ability. After almost 14 years of using Aquarian heads I have never had any problems other than 1 coated snare head that started to chip after almost 9 months of gigging and rehearsals but still had not gone dead which is 2 or 3 times longer than I can get from the other brands. Again this is only my experience with my particular drums and playing style.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:05 AM

Evans coating lasts FOREVER compared to Remo...just saying. Although dont get me wrong, the Remos sound like beauties when fresh. But Evans handles the beatings and lasts from what Ive seen.
Old 11-25-2011, 10:14 PM
Silver Member

Don't remember having any issues with Remo heads. Maybe I have just been lucky? When I have tried Evans coated G1 on my snare the coating lasted just as long as the Ambassador head. The sound of the Evans was a bit drier to MY ears as opposed to the Remo head. Just a matter of what you like IMO.
Old 11-26-2011, 04:13 PM

So I'm planning on getting some Vintage Emperors for the toms and a Coated Ambassador for the snare. I'm not using Evans again so should I go Aquarian on the Coated heads and get clear Remo resos and bass batter? I don't have the best money flow, so I imagine it'll be about 6-7 months before I can change them again. Ideas?
Old 11-26-2011, 04:24 PM
Silver Member

This is not a recent issue with Remo. They have been having issues with their coatings since they started using the "pie" logo on their heads. This was around the time the EPA started getting on Remo's case about their production methods. I quit using their heads at this time after too many duds. I much prefer Aquarians and Evans heads.
Old 11-29-2011, 03:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-train View Post
Evans coating lasts FOREVER compared to Remo...just saying. Although dont get me wrong, the Remos sound like beauties when fresh. But Evans handles the beatings and lasts from what Ive seen.
I agree 100 percent with this statement. I just bought a Remo Vintage Ambassador to put on my 5x14 brass snare. It sounded perfect for the era and style I was after. Within two days the coating started to chip off. I guess I'll just use new heads for any recording or possible gigs with this drum.

The Evans coating does seem to last much longer. If this keeps up, I hope it won't be the fault of the EPA for Remo's demise.
Old 11-30-2011, 03:46 AM
Silver Member

I like the Vintage A on my snare but the rest of my heads are generally Aquarians. They're just the best to me, so whatever.

Sabian AA, Meinl Byzance, Zildjian K
Old 11-30-2011, 04:44 AM
Platinum Member

I just got some more Remo coated emperors a couple of weeks ago. Shockingly, the coating is STILL intact!!! Haha.

Really, I'm not a troll, or a shill for Remo. But I have yet to have a problem. :)
Old 11-30-2011, 05:00 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
But I have yet to have a problem. :)
Nor have I mate. But it seems suggesting as much at DW is veiwed a little like you're trying to flog snake oil.......or sub-prime real estate. Grab yer Remo's and run, before they send out a lynch mob. ;-)
Old 11-30-2011, 06:41 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
Nor have I mate. But it seems suggesting as much at DW is veiwed a little like you're trying to flog snake oil.......or sub-prime real estate. Grab yer Remo's and run, before they send out a lynch mob. ;-)
Haha, I know!

That's all right, I can take the heat. I only talk about my own experience, which has been good. Let the chips fall where they may.
Old 11-30-2011, 01:33 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Haha, I know!

Let the chips fall where they may.
Or the flakes in this case :)
Old 11-30-2011, 04:01 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Masters View Post
Or the flakes in this case :)
Hahaha! I can tolerate a Remo-basher with a good sense of humor. :-)

But still no flakes! lol
Old 11-30-2011, 07:30 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Hahaha! I can tolerate a Remo-basher with a good sense of humor. :-)

But still no flakes! lol
Just being funny...no Remo basher here. Have used both Evans and Remo for many years with no issues. Dont know what all the fuss is about.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:40 PM
Pioneer Member

I switched to Evans years ago, the coating holds up better under stick and brush playing. It's good to know they stand behind their products though, not much of that these days.
Old 12-01-2011, 01:18 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Masters View Post
Just being funny...no Remo basher here. Have used both Evans and Remo for many years with no issues. Dont know what all the fuss is about.
Yeah, no worries, I'm just being funny, too. I really don't know what the fuss is about, either!
Old 12-02-2011, 06:08 PM

Yup, Just got new Remo Emperor coated heads and the coatings coming off like I've never seen before. I'm very disappointed with Remo.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:23 PM
Gold Member

I just got my Copeland snare and tuned it last night. I've already noticed stick marks on it, but haven't played it enough for anything worse (about 10 minutes worth of sticking)

It comes with the Coated Remo Ambassador. Does anyone know of a similar head by Evans? (I mean, just in case...)