DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 11-06-2011, 01:31 PM

Default Traps E500

I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with the Traps E500 kit? I'm totally sold on the real size pads and proper hi-hat but I've not heard too much about the brain/module.
All I can find is "the settings are tweakable", but can you do things like alter cymbal size?

Also, would it be possible (if the settings aren't as alterable as I'd like) to hook the kit up to a Yamaha or Roland module?

Thanks!
Old 11-08-2011, 10:54 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Traps E500

I bought one of these as my practice kit a couple of years ago, using an alesis i/o and softward based sounds on my pc from the Toontracks stable. It has a number of good points which drew me towards it;

Cheap as chips comparative to the more established makes like roland and yamaha
All mesh, real sized pads
All dual trigger pads (head and rim)
Sturdy rack

Unfortunately, the proof of the pudding was in the playing experience, which wasn't great. The snare double triggered all the time, regardless of how the i/o was configured. The triggers run really hot which make dynamics almost non existant. I had some build issues too, which meant that the trigger on the snare and the 10" pad both stopped working and were returned for repair (under warranty). The cymbal pads are fine as crashes but awful as hats and snare- they are fairly lightweight and don't have
anywhere like enough resistance to strokes to feel good. I bought some used pintech pads for a ride and hat and they were infinately better. The hihat switch attracted me too and it works reasonably well and is much less expensive than the big two, but it does look and feel a bit flimsy in use and the hihat stand is pretty poor too.

I got rid after 18 months. I did enjoy being able to play when I wanted, as opposed to when I'm giging only, but the frustration of how the kit played ruined it for me. You may, though, think differently. I would spend my money on a used yamaha or roland kit instead and enjoy the playing experience more if I were you.

Iain
Old 11-09-2011, 02:02 AM

Default Re: Traps E500

Ah, I was afraid that might be the response. I knew that price tag was too good to be true!
I wanted to either get it and live happily or run it with a Roland TD9 module so I could alter the parts I wanted.

Looks like it's back to searching for a second-hand Roland kit.

Thanks for your help!