DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 11-05-2011, 08:19 AM

Default Best option for recording equipment?

I've decided that I'm going to start recording some videos for my youtube channel soon. The only thing I've got left to do is get the right recording equipment. Now, I sort of have a tight budget so there are things that I need to consider before I pull the money out of my wallet.

Here's option 1: Buy a usb condenser mic and a single output usb audio interface. This way I'll be able to record everything using a single mic with a fairly decent sound. This seems to be easy and affordable to pick up.

Here's option 2: I could go for a 4 mic set but there is no way in hell that I can afford the external soundcard required for that. I could however do one thing. My band's guitarist has a 2 channel external soundcard. I could visit his place everytime I have to record, plug in my mics into the mixer and then connect them to the soundcard through the mixer, a 4x2 kinda thing. This would take a little more effort and would prevent me from recording at home or if I'm anywhere else where as with the condenser and usb I can record wherever I go.

So these are my options, what would you suggest?
Old 11-05-2011, 08:40 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Best option for recording equipment?

you could get a zoom Q3... excellent audio and video.
Old 11-05-2011, 08:54 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Best option for recording equipment?

If your budget is really tight, then the Zoom Q3 might be your only choice. You're only spending $300 for that and you're all set. Set your audio input level to "Low" and you're golden.

What I do is this: I have all my mics go into a Mackie 1604VLZ, and then direct out those channels to the inputs of my Zoom R16 16-track audio recorder. From that point I can mix down from there, or further dump those individual audio tracks into my Mac for more manipulation (but usually not). The video is done with a Kodak Zi8, and once I have the video and audio done, I mix the two into iMovie for my vids for YouTube. My video's not that great, but the audio is decent, and that's the important thing to me.