DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 11-05-2011, 06:14 AM
zambizzi's Avatar
zambizzi zambizzi is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Big Bad Boise
Posts: 4,048
Default My Ludwig Family...

...all snug and nestled up, next to the fireplace.

What I've got here is two full Classic Maple kits with 100th Anni. badges, and three snares. Here's the run-down.

24x16" bass
22x18" bass
16x16" floor tom(s) (two of them)
13x9" tom
12x10" tom

14x6.5" Black Beauty w/ tubes
14x6.5" LM402
14x6.5" Classic Maple in Arctic Glitter

Same cymbals I've been playing for 4 yrs. or so...

21" Groove Ride
19" Jojo Fierce Crash
18" Prototype Crash (very thin, dry, and trashy!)
17" HHX Evolution Crash
14" HHX Fusion Hats
Attached Images
         
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 11-05-2011, 06:24 AM
IDDrummer's Avatar
IDDrummer IDDrummer is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: I-Dee-Ho
Posts: 3,332
Default Re: My Ludwig Family...

Beauty! Lucky to find a second set in the same finish - you have a lot more patience than I!
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 11-05-2011, 06:29 AM
zambizzi's Avatar
zambizzi zambizzi is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Big Bad Boise
Posts: 4,048
Default Re: My Ludwig Family...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDDrummer View Post
Beauty! Lucky to find a second set in the same finish - you have a lot more patience than I!
It was dumb-luck. I was looking at a drum shop's web site and saw the "small" kit sitting on the floor. I emailed and asked if it was available...and it was! I got a great deal on it, too. However, UPS cracked the bass drum and it had to be replaced. I got the replacement on Tuesday and it's excellent.

The curse is broken!

It's a crazy coincidence that it is the *exact* kit I ordered in '09, which had a really terrible sounding kick drum that just couldn't be tuned. I have a thread up here about it, where I took a router to the hoops to try and improve the sound. It wasn't the same kit, strangely enough. Someone else out there has incredible tastes, too. ;)
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 11-05-2011, 06:34 AM
IDDrummer's Avatar
IDDrummer IDDrummer is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: I-Dee-Ho
Posts: 3,332
Default Re: My Ludwig Family...

Well, I'm glad the curse is broken! I sure liked the sound of the larger kit, but I know you like the smaller kick.

Good on you, man!
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 11-05-2011, 06:37 AM
zambizzi's Avatar
zambizzi zambizzi is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Big Bad Boise
Posts: 4,048
Default Re: My Ludwig Family...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDDrummer View Post
Well, I'm glad the curse is broken! I sure liked the sound of the larger kit, but I know you like the smaller kick.

Good on you, man!
Me too! I hadn't learned to properly tune the 24" kick, when you were down here. Once I finally hit the sweet spot, I was just *floored*. It sounds crazy huge, and the warmth just fills the room. I've grown quite attached to the big kit. :)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 11-05-2011, 06:42 AM
IDDrummer's Avatar
IDDrummer IDDrummer is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: I-Dee-Ho
Posts: 3,332
Default Re: My Ludwig Family...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambizzi View Post
Me too! I hadn't learned to properly tune the 24" kick, when you were down here. Once I finally hit the sweet spot, I was just *floored*. It sounds crazy huge, and the warmth just fills the room. I've grown quite attached to the big kit. :)
Yeah, I will likely never go back to a 22" kick. I've owned quite a few and haven't loved any of them. I've loved ALL the 24s I've owned (three of them) and even liked the 20", in it's place. I'd even like to try an 18", but no more 22s for me. :)
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 11-05-2011, 06:53 AM
zambizzi's Avatar
zambizzi zambizzi is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Big Bad Boise
Posts: 4,048
Default Re: My Ludwig Family...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDDrummer View Post
Yeah, I will likely never go back to a 22" kick. I've owned quite a few and haven't loved any of them. I've loved ALL the 24s I've owned (three of them) and even liked the 20", in it's place. I'd even like to try an 18", but no more 22s for me. :)
The first day back on a 22" was a bit of a downer. I'll never get the same thwomp from it...but it sounds really nice. Once the new PS3 breaks in, it'll sound great. I needed something w/ less boom and more punch, for the funk/soul band. The big kit just doesn't feel right w/ those guys.

I like a 20" too and would take one over an 18", simply because I don't want to have to futz around with a riser. Here's my kid's Renown kit w/ a 20" kick, at a Halloween gig:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=2305754276178

Doesn't cut through very well, un-mic'd. :(
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 11-05-2011, 07:06 AM
IDDrummer's Avatar
IDDrummer IDDrummer is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: I-Dee-Ho
Posts: 3,332
Default Re: My Ludwig Family...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambizzi View Post
The first day back on a 22" was a bit of a downer. I'll never get the same thwomp from it...but it sounds really nice. Once the new PS3 breaks in, it'll sound great. I needed something w/ less boom and more punch, for the funk/soul band. The big kit just doesn't feel right w/ those guys.

I like a 20" too and would take one over an 18", simply because I don't want to have to futz around with a riser. Here's my kid's Renown kit w/ a 20" kick, at a Halloween gig:

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=2305754276178

Doesn't cut through very well, un-mic'd. :(
Gotta ask, what snare are you using here? I love this stuff!!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 11-05-2011, 07:09 AM
zambizzi's Avatar
zambizzi zambizzi is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Big Bad Boise
Posts: 4,048
Default Re: My Ludwig Family...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDDrummer View Post
Gotta ask, what snare are you using here? I love this stuff!!
Thanks! It's a fun little cover band. That's the LM402 Supra. Perfect tool for that job. I'm gonna throw tubes on that one too, when I can afford it. It worked wonders for the sound of my BB and I'm sure it'll open this snare up, too.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 11-05-2011, 07:14 AM
IDDrummer's Avatar
IDDrummer IDDrummer is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: I-Dee-Ho
Posts: 3,332
Default Re: My Ludwig Family...

I've got to replace my Supra. I actually still have it, but I had it powder coated because the chrome had started to flake and peel off. I just don't like the sound of it since the powder coat.

Someday...
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 11-05-2011, 07:27 AM
zambizzi's Avatar
zambizzi zambizzi is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Big Bad Boise
Posts: 4,048
Default Re: My Ludwig Family...

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDDrummer View Post
I've got to replace my Supra. I actually still have it, but I had it powder coated because the chrome had started to flake and peel off. I just don't like the sound of it since the powder coat.

Someday...
The chrome does *something* for the mojo. I've tried a few other aluminum snares but none of them sound nearly as good, to me.
Attached Images
 
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 11-05-2011, 08:30 AM
Pocket-full-of-gold's Avatar
Pocket-full-of-gold Pocket-full-of-gold is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia.
Posts: 9,929
Default Re: My Ludwig Family...

You're a trooper Zam. You've had some god awful luck with Ludwig....enough to turn the average man away I would have thought. Glad it's all fallen into place......eventually! :-)

Nice kit. I even quite like the anniversary badges. I've always been a Keystone-all-the-way kinda bloke. But the more I see the anniv's, the more I like them.......still more visually pleasant to me than the B/O's at any rate.

MikeM had a recent thread where the butt plate on his BB was set too low to tune the reso head properly. I recalled you had the same problem.....what did you end up doing there? Thin collared head?

What do you think of the gaskets on the Supra? I made a mate take 'em off his BB after A/B-ing his new one with mine. He was initially reluctant as "that's how he bought it" but after a few beers and and a play on mine he was eventually persuaded. ;-)
I don't read of too many who leave them on.....interested in your thoughts.
__________________
What's the best cape for running away from a gig?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 11-05-2011, 09:22 AM
zambizzi's Avatar
zambizzi zambizzi is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Big Bad Boise
Posts: 4,048
Default Re: My Ludwig Family...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
You're a trooper Zam. You've had some god awful luck with Ludwig....enough to turn the average man away I would have thought. Glad it's all fallen into place......eventually! :-)

Nice kit. I even quite like the anniversary badges. I've always been a Keystone-all-the-way kinda bloke. But the more I see the anniv's, the more I like them.......still more visually pleasant to me than the B/O's at any rate.

MikeM had a recent thread where the butt plate on his BB was set too low to tune the reso head properly. I recalled you had the same problem.....what did you end up doing there? Thin collared head?

What do you think of the gaskets on the Supra? I made a mate take 'em off his BB after A/B-ing his new one with mine. He was initially reluctant as "that's how he bought it" but after a few beers and and a play on mine he was eventually persuaded. ;-)
I don't read of too many who leave them on.....interested in your thoughts.
Thanks. I only put up with it because I'm a brainwashed zombie slave to the Ludwig company. :P It's been hit-and-miss with them...mostly miss for me...but all my bases are covered now and I'm pretty pleased.

I've never liked the B/O badges. I like all of the others and of course, the special, unique badges the most.

I started my own thread about the butt-plate sitting too low. It's lame but it's just how they do it. On Karl Crafton's advice, I picked up a couple of the collar-less Ambassador Snare heads and it did the trick. They're literally flat and the collar forms as the head stretches. I think they even sound better and I'd buy them for any type of snare.

I like how the gaskets look, but they definitely have a detrimental effect on the sound of the snare. They're a very heavy-gauge rubber and as expected, dampen the hell out of it. I bought some chrome-plated brass tubes online (half as much as Ludwig's tube lugs) and slapped them on my BB. Huge difference. It's a different drum...much more sensitive and lively. I can see *why* they started putting them on - without them the lug "splay" is very pronounced, and can damage the threading on tube lugs. Not such a big deal for imperial lugs, but the lugs will probably damage the finish w/o anything beneath them.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 11-05-2011, 11:54 AM
wy yung wy yung is offline
Banned
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Australia
Posts: 3,029
Default Re: My Ludwig Family...

Simply stunning! I would like these drums photographed in daylight. The light does not do them justice. Lovely drums.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 11-05-2011, 01:37 PM
zambizzi's Avatar
zambizzi zambizzi is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Big Bad Boise
Posts: 4,048
Default Re: My Ludwig Family...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wy yung View Post
Simply stunning! I would like these drums photographed in daylight. The light does not do them justice. Lovely drums.
Thanks wy. Yeah...it's pretty dreary down in the basement. I've got video and pics of them at shows - I'll post some of it up here later today, if I can.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 11-05-2011, 03:04 PM
sticks4drums
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: My Ludwig Family...

Those are great looking drums. Congratulations! I think one of my problems with Ludwig is that most kits I see are done in really old looking finishes that turn me off. Some guys like the retro thing. I am not one of them. I also love the badges on that kit. Very classy. I really didn't like when Ludwig went to the colored badges. Not sure when that was. I would be quite happy to own your kit. Big chrome lugs on black works like black lugs on white. Great contrast. I love contrast. :) Maybe one day I will have to buy a set just to be cool around here. :)
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 11-05-2011, 07:10 PM
zambizzi's Avatar
zambizzi zambizzi is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Big Bad Boise
Posts: 4,048
Default Re: My Ludwig Family...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
Those are great looking drums. Congratulations! I think one of my problems with Ludwig is that most kits I see are done in really old looking finishes that turn me off. Some guys like the retro thing. I am not one of them. I also love the badges on that kit. Very classy. I really didn't like when Ludwig went to the colored badges. Not sure when that was. I would be quite happy to own your kit. Big chrome lugs on black works like black lugs on white. Great contrast. I love contrast. :) Maybe one day I will have to buy a set just to be cool around here. :)
Retro is cool right now and I think it's a trend that will fade with time. That being said, I don't think you're going to see a big vintage market for today's mass-produced drums, American, Asian, or otherwise. The market is completely saturated, spilling over, and oozing all over the floor.

There is something to be said about that retro sound, which is why the 50's-70's vintage kits are fetching such a big price. Modern kits just don't sound as good to me (and obviously, a huge portion of the drum-consuming market.) These drums are a modern twist on a vintage sound...best of both worlds.

Let's face it - until you own *something* Ludwig, all the cool kids are going to continue making fun of you. ;)
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 11-05-2011, 07:24 PM
keep it simple's Avatar
keep it simple keep it simple is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Herefordshire, UK.
Posts: 16,681
Default Re: My Ludwig Family...

Sorry I missed this thread mate. Congratulations on your lovely looking drums. I'm sure they sound great as well. You really do have the patience of a saint, & Ludwig should be very pleased they have customers as loyal you. I've deleted my thoughts on the multiple crazy quality issues.

If anyone deserves the end result of a superb sounding kit, it's you.
__________________
This message is brought to you courtesy of Thinly Veiled Productions inc.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 11-05-2011, 08:02 PM
sticks4drums
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: My Ludwig Family...

[quote=zambizzi;909846]Retro is cool right now and I think it's a trend that will fade with time. That being said, I don't think you're going to see a big vintage market for today's mass-produced drums, American, Asian, or otherwise. The market is completely saturated, spilling over, and oozing all over the floor.[quote]

OK. The first paragraph was fine. I was so nice and then you took advantage.

"There is something to be said about that retro sound, which is why the 50's-70's vintage kits are fetching such a big price. Modern kits just don't sound as good to me (and obviously, a huge portion of the drum-consuming market.) These drums are a modern twist on a vintage sound...best of both worlds."

And then the above paragraph. Were do you guys come up with this stuff! :)
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 11-06-2011, 01:44 AM
zambizzi's Avatar
zambizzi zambizzi is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Big Bad Boise
Posts: 4,048
Default Re: My Ludwig Family...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
I was so nice and then you took advantage.

"There is something to be said about that retro sound, which is why the 50's-70's vintage kits are fetching such a big price. Modern kits just don't sound as good to me (and obviously, a huge portion of the drum-consuming market.) These drums are a modern twist on a vintage sound...best of both worlds."

And then the above paragraph. Were do you guys come up with this stuff! :)
Reality. The market has spoken. A pristine, vintage Ludwig kit from the 60's or 70's easily fetches 2-3x what a used, modern Asian-made kit would. Gretsch 50's-era "round badge" kits go for astronomical prices, if in good enough condition. I couldn't have begged someone to buy my 6pc. Saturn kit for $1000! It just wasn't happening, and I tried for weeks. I ended up trading it for a Yamaha Oak Custom and then selling that, since the market seems to value them more. For the record, I thought the Saturns sounded better. :)

So, by observing peoples preferences, you can see where I came up with this stuff.

See sticksy, that's the thing - you seem to have an aversion to other peoples preferences. Realize that value is subjective to the individual and that your preferences are not necessarily mine, or that of anyone else. There's no right answer here - just individual preferences. Why does everyone have to value the same things that you do? I don't understand where you're coming from w/ that stuff.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 11-06-2011, 02:18 AM
zambizzi's Avatar
zambizzi zambizzi is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Big Bad Boise
Posts: 4,048
Default Re: My Ludwig Family...

Here's a few pics of them in different settings. We had a talented photographer friend of ours come to a few gigs and take some nice pics. Look how (maniacally) happy I am after playing these drums! I included one of my boy, who loves roadie duty...sometimes.
Attached Images
      
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 11-06-2011, 05:37 AM
sticks4drums
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: My Ludwig Family...

It isn't that they sound better, but it is the fact that the old stuff is hard to find which drives the price up. Supply and demand. Drums are much better built nowadays then the sometimes over loved good old days. It has been said on this forum many times.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 11-06-2011, 06:08 AM
Mendozart's Avatar
Mendozart Mendozart is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: So. Cal
Posts: 1,349
Default Re: My Ludwig Family...

Killer kit zambizzi! That was very lucky to find those drums in the same finish. I really dig that white snare of yours, any more info on it would be cool.
__________________
Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

Jenkins-Martin, Blaemire, & Ludwig drums
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 11-06-2011, 07:26 AM
zambizzi's Avatar
zambizzi zambizzi is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Big Bad Boise
Posts: 4,048
Default Re: My Ludwig Family...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
It isn't that they sound better, but it is the fact that the old stuff is hard to find which drives the price up. Supply and demand. Drums are much better built nowadays then the sometimes over loved good old days. It has been said on this forum many times.
You're half right. Naturally, scarcity means higher cost but if the drums sounded relatively poor, there'd be far fewer bidders chasing them, out in the market. It doesn't matter that they're *made* better today, we're talking about musical instruments, not machinery. Plenty of drums are made well and sound mediocre, or worse.

There is great demand for vintage drums, and vintage sounding drums today, because those drummers are looking for a particular sound that they were not finding in modern shells. This is why you're seeing manufacturers trying to recapture that sound again. Ludwig Legacy. Gretsch USA, New Classic, Renown, etc. DW Classics. C&C Drums. SJC and all the other trendy "custom" companies that are cranking out "vintage" kits for big bucks. These companies are making vintage style drums again, using modern manufacturing methods, because that's the sound that is in demand. Supply and demand.

I don't know how many times I've read about old vintage drums being used on big modern recordings, in place of whatever the drummer is endorsing. They don't do this because they want the record to sound terrible, right? You may not agree with it or like it, but the vintage sound AND look is in big demand these days.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 11-06-2011, 07:30 AM
zambizzi's Avatar
zambizzi zambizzi is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Big Bad Boise
Posts: 4,048
Default Re: My Ludwig Family...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendozart View Post
Killer kit zambizzi! That was very lucky to find those drums in the same finish. I really dig that white snare of yours, any more info on it would be cool.
Thanks! The white snare was an eBay find. I love CM snares and when I heard Arctic Glitter was discontinued, I figured it'd be a nice collector's item, too. It's not old...I think it was made 2-3 years ago. Sounds incredible, of course.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 11-06-2011, 09:58 AM
keep it simple's Avatar
keep it simple keep it simple is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Herefordshire, UK.
Posts: 16,681
Default Re: My Ludwig Family...

Great gig pictures, & the kit looks superb!

Got to ask though, I see quite a few pictures of those dome style outdoor stages in the US. Clearly designed for acoustic projection back in the day. What's the sound like inside that dome with an amplified band? I'm thinking it must be a bit difficult to control the stage sound without dropping the volume a lot. Just curious.
__________________
This message is brought to you courtesy of Thinly Veiled Productions inc.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11-06-2011, 10:39 AM
zambizzi's Avatar
zambizzi zambizzi is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Big Bad Boise
Posts: 4,048
Default Re: My Ludwig Family...

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
Great gig pictures, & the kit looks superb!

Got to ask though, I see quite a few pictures of those dome style outdoor stages in the US. Clearly designed for acoustic projection back in the day. What's the sound like inside that dome with an amplified band? I'm thinking it must be a bit difficult to control the stage sound without dropping the volume a lot. Just curious.
Thank ya! This band is probably the loudest thing I've ever heard and definitely the loudest I've played in. Hearing this band on stage is always tricky. The sound up on stage was pretty rough...very reflective. I had a big monitor booming into my left ear (the only ear that really works), and I couldn't hear much of anything, very clearly.

When we talked to people later, they all seemed to think everything sounded great out in front though. I'm uploading a video from this show and will post it here when it finally finishes.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11-06-2011, 11:02 AM
keep it simple's Avatar
keep it simple keep it simple is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Herefordshire, UK.
Posts: 16,681
Default Re: My Ludwig Family...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambizzi View Post
Thank ya! This band is probably the loudest thing I've ever heard and definitely the loudest I've played in. Hearing this band on stage is always tricky. The sound up on stage was pretty rough...very reflective. I had a big monitor booming into my left ear (the only ear that really works), and I couldn't hear much of anything, very clearly.

When we talked to people later, they all seemed to think everything sounded great out in front though. I'm uploading a video from this show and will post it here when it finally finishes.
I look forward to the video. I can imagine the reflection in that dome to be unreal. Great for a string quartet, but a rock band? Did you have a sound engineer FOH? If not, the good FOH sound must have been more by good luck than good judgement ;) Tricky gig!
__________________
This message is brought to you courtesy of Thinly Veiled Productions inc.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 11-06-2011, 04:32 PM
Stixnergard2 Stixnergard2 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 239
Default Re: My Ludwig Family...

Great collection of Ludwig drum, the 100th anniv. badges are sweet!
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 11-06-2011, 07:27 PM
zambizzi's Avatar
zambizzi zambizzi is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Big Bad Boise
Posts: 4,048
Default Re: My Ludwig Family...

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
I look forward to the video. I can imagine the reflection in that dome to be unreal. Great for a string quartet, but a rock band? Did you have a sound engineer FOH? If not, the good FOH sound must have been more by good luck than good judgement ;) Tricky gig!
The sound guy was great...but it was 11am, 90 degrees, and we were the second band to go on. We were rushed up there and given 5 min. to setup, too. :\

Here we go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYMq3pzS3ec

This is the most "pop/punk" sounding thing that we do...most of our stuff is actually a lot different than this. Here's some contrast (and a Mapex Saturn kit for our friend Stix.) Apparently I had a wardrobe malfunction, too. Watch for it!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xrg1gfZB1Oc
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 11-06-2011, 07:38 PM
Deathmetalconga's Avatar
Deathmetalconga Deathmetalconga is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 7,228
Default Re: My Ludwig Family...

Very nice drums! I have followed your many kits over the years, and played a few of them, and this looks like a good setup.

Are the finishes identical - could you mix-and-match them to get anything from a mid-sized kit of 7-8 pieces, down to a busking 2-piecer?
__________________
Ironwood kit Tiki kit Openhanders Vids
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 11-06-2011, 07:48 PM
Deathmetalconga's Avatar
Deathmetalconga Deathmetalconga is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 7,228
Default Re: My Ludwig Family...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambizzi View Post
Retro is cool right now and I think it's a trend that will fade with time. That being said, I don't think you're going to see a big vintage market for today's mass-produced drums, American, Asian, or otherwise. The market is completely saturated, spilling over, and oozing all over the floor.

There is something to be said about that retro sound, which is why the 50's-70's vintage kits are fetching such a big price. Modern kits just don't sound as good to me (and obviously, a huge portion of the drum-consuming market.) These drums are a modern twist on a vintage sound...best of both worlds.

Let's face it - until you own *something* Ludwig, all the cool kids are going to continue making fun of you. ;)
Very true. Anything vintage is hot. Look at vintage electric guitars - just the vintage factor pushes their prices into tens of thousands of dollars. Do they sound any "better" than a new guitar with finer machining and more exotic materials that costs a fraction? Totally subjective. A huge part of the vintage sound was calfskin heads, but hardly anyone plays those anymore, so vintage shells are at least a feeble nod to the originals. I think a new CB700 set would sound totally vintage if fitted with calfskin heads and tuned correctly.

Heck, even some new drums may be overpriced, but people are willing to pay for a badge - a brand new one that says DW, or a 70-year-old one that says Ludwig. Assuming the sound is good enough, other factors come into play: unusual construction, rare woods, vintage pedigree, expensive badge, played by a celebrity, etc.
__________________
Ironwood kit Tiki kit Openhanders Vids
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 11-06-2011, 10:01 PM
zambizzi's Avatar
zambizzi zambizzi is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Big Bad Boise
Posts: 4,048
Default Re: My Ludwig Family...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
Very nice drums! I have followed your many kits over the years, and played a few of them, and this looks like a good setup.

Are the finishes identical - could you mix-and-match them to get anything from a mid-sized kit of 7-8 pieces, down to a busking 2-piecer?
Thanks, man! I can certainly mix it up. The stain is visibly identical across both kids, so they all look good together. I could throw that second 16" into my setup, a la Buddy Rich, and just tune it lower than the other. I would definitely like to get out and do some busking when it warms up. All I need is a riser for the 16"...I have the legs already...and I could toss the 13" to my right as a little floor tom. Maybe you could recommend a clever hardware setup to make this easy to haul around?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
Very true. Anything vintage is hot. Look at vintage electric guitars - just the vintage factor pushes their prices into tens of thousands of dollars. Do they sound any "better" than a new guitar with finer machining and more exotic materials that costs a fraction? Totally subjective. A huge part of the vintage sound was calfskin heads, but hardly anyone plays those anymore, so vintage shells are at least a feeble nod to the originals. I think a new CB700 set would sound totally vintage if fitted with calfskin heads and tuned correctly.

Heck, even some new drums may be overpriced, but people are willing to pay for a badge - a brand new one that says DW, or a 70-year-old one that says Ludwig. Assuming the sound is good enough, other factors come into play: unusual construction, rare woods, vintage pedigree, expensive badge, played by a celebrity, etc.
Yep, that's what it boils down to. It's purely subjective. Do these producers who insist on vintage gear, in the studio, really hear something? Can drummers really hear a difference between vintage drums and a modern equivalent?

What do you hear?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2MtHwMOCllg

Even if we're just talking about "psychic value", it's something that the individual values, subjectively. Can't argue w/ the preferences of others.

I don't think a CB kit would sound the same as real vintage tubs, w/ the same calfskin heads, if compared side-by-side. They might be close but there are other variables. Vintage drums are said to "dry out" over time and warm up, as a result. Edges also have a huge influence in sound, which is why drum companies are cutting vintage edges now, in pursuit of that throwback sound. I think you could get convincingly close, however.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 11-06-2011, 10:29 PM
jt.mcrae's Avatar
jt.mcrae jt.mcrae is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Posts: 202
Default Re: My Ludwig Family...

Loving the pics and really nice kits. Does the younger boy play yet? That's how I first got into the trade, being roadie for dad. It's a good way to pass on not only the love of drumming, but also the knowledge behind set up, tear down and tuning, things that in my opinion are not taught well enough by a lot of teachers
Jackson
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 11-06-2011, 10:47 PM
mediocrefunkybeat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: My Ludwig Family...

Zambizzi. Really enjoyed that comparison video you put up.

Of the three kits I actually liked the 2009 Ludwig the best and the Slingerland the least. The older Ludwig had a lovely 14" (I think) floor tom but I think the 2009 Ludwig had a better rack tom, larger floor tom and kick.

That was a very interesting video. Thanks for sharing that.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 11-06-2011, 10:57 PM
zambizzi's Avatar
zambizzi zambizzi is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Big Bad Boise
Posts: 4,048
Default Re: My Ludwig Family...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt.mcrae View Post
Loving the pics and really nice kits. Does the younger boy play yet? That's how I first got into the trade, being roadie for dad. It's a good way to pass on not only the love of drumming, but also the knowledge behind set up, tear down and tuning, things that in my opinion are not taught well enough by a lot of teachers
Jackson
Thanks! He certainly does! He might have played more gigs than I did, over the summer. He has a band with a younger friend of his, called "Detonate". The singer/guitarist just turned 10 and my son is 12. I'll post some video of them, once I upload some of the newer ones. They're much better than you might expect, for their ages!

You're right - teachers don't go into that kind of detail, often enough. He can setup and teardown with the best of them, now. Thankfully I had a good teacher and followed him around to enough of his gigs, to get some of those important tips. Of course, I learned a TON from just reading around the forums. This site is a treasure-trove.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 11-06-2011, 11:08 PM
zambizzi's Avatar
zambizzi zambizzi is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Big Bad Boise
Posts: 4,048
Default Re: My Ludwig Family...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediocrefunkybeat View Post
Zambizzi. Really enjoyed that comparison video you put up.

Of the three kits I actually liked the 2009 Ludwig the best and the Slingerland the least. The older Ludwig had a lovely 14" (I think) floor tom but I think the 2009 Ludwig had a better rack tom, larger floor tom and kick.

That was a very interesting video. Thanks for sharing that.
Good one, eh? I found that one last night, while on a YouTube frenzy. I agree 100% with your assessment - the '09 Legacy kick sounds best, overall. The drums seem more consistent, whereas the vintage kits were hit-and-miss. The small vintage Ludwig floor tom was a stand-out, for sure. I didn't think the vintage Ludwig kick was nearly as nice as the newer one. I thought the Slingerland kit sounded really nice, overall...but the small tom was a little flat compared to the other kits.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 11-06-2011, 11:16 PM
mediocrefunkybeat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: My Ludwig Family...

I just thought that the Slingerland was far too dry but especially the rack tom. In a gig scenario, I hugely doubt it would make much difference and I would enjoy any of the three but that newer Ludwig made me realise why people still buy the brand despite the occasionally patchy quality control. They really do sound great.

This makes me want to get my 'big kit' (it's a 22", but it's bigger than my 16"!) out again, re-head it and give it a good bashing. When I can afford a full set of new heads, I might just do that!
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 11-06-2011, 11:41 PM
zambizzi's Avatar
zambizzi zambizzi is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Big Bad Boise
Posts: 4,048
Default Re: My Ludwig Family...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediocrefunkybeat View Post
I just thought that the Slingerland was far too dry but especially the rack tom. In a gig scenario, I hugely doubt it would make much difference and I would enjoy any of the three but that newer Ludwig made me realise why people still buy the brand despite the occasionally patchy quality control. They really do sound great.

This makes me want to get my 'big kit' (it's a 22", but it's bigger than my 16"!) out again, re-head it and give it a good bashing. When I can afford a full set of new heads, I might just do that!
Yeah, they're remarkable to my ears, too. I can hear Ludwig drums on albums and recognize the sound, but I can't do that with other brands. Like Steve Gorman said, "It's the drum sound I hear in my head."

The QC is a big problem, IMO. I might have experienced more than others have, but I know for a fact that it's a fairly widespread issue with them. You can read it all over the forums, and two dealers here in town each had their own horror story to tell me. I guess I just like the punishment, apparently.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 11-07-2011, 02:09 AM
Deathmetalconga's Avatar
Deathmetalconga Deathmetalconga is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 7,228
Default Re: My Ludwig Family...

Quote:
Originally Posted by zambizzi View Post
Thanks, man! I can certainly mix it up. The stain is visibly identical across both kids, so they all look good together. I could throw that second 16" into my setup, a la Buddy Rich, and just tune it lower than the other. I would definitely like to get out and do some busking when it warms up. All I need is a riser for the 16"...I have the legs already...and I could toss the 13" to my right as a little floor tom. Maybe you could recommend a clever hardware setup to make this easy to haul around?
I would suggest a cocktail-inspired setup which would require minimal conversion. Use one of your 16 floor toms as a combination tom/bass drum. Just get a conversion bracket that will attach your bass pedal to a couple of the floor tom legs. HB Drums would probably sell you one a la carte. You'll also need to modify a pedal to strike upwards.

You'd still play seated and you'd have to decide what all stands, cymbals and toms you'd like. At the very least, you'd basically be cutting out one of the bass drums.

I have seen a few of these converted kits and they sound swell. They don't have quite the compactness or cool factor of real cocktail drums, but they require minimal investment of time and money and there is relatively little technique that must be re-learned, unlike a standing cocktail set.

Some people mistakenly call this modification a cocktail drum, but for nose-in-the-air purists like me, if you ain't standing, it ain't cocktail.
__________________
Ironwood kit Tiki kit Openhanders Vids
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 09:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com