DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 11-04-2011, 04:04 PM
Gold Member

Default Would this work for duplicating drum head bounce / response when practicing?

Drummies,

During my practice times, and while keeping peace with the neighbors – I use the rubber / foam (?) Vic Firth mute pads on my kit. They definitely bring down the volume. However, the bounce or rebound you get is less than an actual drumhead. While this is good for building chops and technique, I prefer to ALSO get as close to the actual bounce as possible when rehearsing before a performance or cover video.

I still use the practice pads, and also the DW Go Anywhere kit. That one is cool because you can actually practice on multiple drums, set up like your kit if you choose. However…the bounce is more sensitive than drum heads. I also picked up the DW Deadhead bounce pads you place onto each drum. They are nothing more than different sized rubber practice pads on thick wood – pretty bouncy.

I was thinking of getting some foam mutes (Sound Percussions or cheaper) and gluing them onto thinner round pieces of wood for each drum (except BD). Do you think this would be less bouncier than the standard practice pads, but with MORE bounce than placing the mutes directly onto the drum heads?
Old 11-10-2011, 10:51 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Would this work for duplicating drum head bounce / response when practicing?

Something I started doing lately is placing my 3" x 13" piccolo snare on the ottoman with a towell underneath. The sound is dramatically lowered and there's no more realistic bounce than that.
Old 11-11-2011, 05:50 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Would this work for duplicating drum head bounce / response when practicing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muckster View Post
Something I started doing lately is placing my 3" x 13" piccolo snare on the ottoman with a towell underneath. The sound is dramatically lowered and there's no more realistic bounce than that.
Good idea for the individual drum!

I haven't given up yet with the set as a whole. It just seems to me that when you're practicing on the pad (hard rubber on wood) it's more of a bounce and then when you go over to the set, it's less of a bounce - so what you've learned on the pad, you have to adjust for on the real set.

The foam (Vic Firth) pads actually make you work harder because there is less bounce on top of drum skin (vs wood).

My next project (after soundproofing a window and bringing gifts to the nieghbors) would be to glue foam pads to thin circles of wood for each drum. I'm thinking foam vs rubber is less bounce, but the wood will give some bounce back. Just not too much - I hope.
Old 11-13-2011, 09:34 PM

The things about the DW Smartpractice kit is that, the less towards the center you hit, the less response you get. While you are always taught to hit the center of the drum, as you move farther away from the center of the pad, the pad has more give to it, therefore, less rebound. Heres what I did with mine:

3 quarter sized circles on the pads. 2 at 3 and 9oclock, about an inch in from the edge, and then one directly in the center. That way, I could dial in the amount of rebound that I was looking for. Less rebound to develop speed, and more rebound for warmups and basic rudiment and control practice.

I hope this helps a little bit.

Last edited by blastbeatkeeper; 11-13-2011 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Bad grammar lol
Old 11-14-2011, 10:37 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastbeatkeeper View Post
The things about the DW Smartpractice kit is that, the less towards the center you hit, the less response you get. While you are always taught to hit the center of the drum, as you move farther away from the center of the pad, the pad has more give to it, therefore, less rebound. Heres what I did with mine:

3 quarter sized circles on the pads. 2 at 3 and 9oclock, about an inch in from the edge, and then one directly in the center. That way, I could dial in the amount of rebound that I was looking for. Less rebound to develop speed, and more rebound for warmups and basic rudiment and control practice.

I hope this helps a little bit.
I thought I was the only one that got these things!

Your strategy is precise, but also makes so much sense. I don't know that I have the skill or the discipline to pin-point my hits. Heck - hard enough for me to avoid hitting the rims during a roll! LOL!

Last edited by BigDinSD; 11-15-2011 at 02:21 AM.
Old 11-19-2011, 05:37 AM
Gold Member

Ok - so I went to my wood scrap box and found some Luaun plywood. It's a thinner wood, less than an 1/8 of an inch (or 4 mm) thick that you can get in small sheets at your lumber store.

I cut out a 14 inch diameter circle and placed that on my Floor tom. I then put the drum mute on top and - "VIOLA!" It gives more of a bounce than the foam/rubber drum mutes, but less than a wooden practice pad with the rubber pad. You can even hear the tone of the drums, but at a much lower volume.

Much cheaper than the $85 DW Deadhead pads. About $1.50 per drum, plus your mute pads. It's pretty damn close to the actual bounce from the skins and serves well to duplicate the response when practicing. Keeps the neighbors friendly too...

Last edited by BigDinSD; 11-24-2011 at 06:44 AM.