DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 02-21-2006, 04:03 PM

Default Terreon Gully

I figured I'd get this going. I just love his solo on DW not just because of his speed, and underlying power but also his unique approach in his controlled volume and demonstrating how much fun you can have with just the rim, hats, and kick. I haven't been able to get that solo out of my head since I heard it.
I'm guessing some people on here know more than I do that can offer more insight. Anyone know how to pronounce his first name? Any more clips, Bernhard?
Old 02-21-2006, 04:09 PM
Founder Drummerworld

Default Re: Terreon Gully

Hi Intooder

Yes, Terreon is great - and a very nice guy - and he has a lovely fiancee too.

I met him on the Atlanta Airport and he helped me to find the right flight....

No, at the moment there are no new clips, but we have strong contact and so when some new ones are around, i will put them up immediatly.

Finally also his own website is up now:

http://www.terreongully.com/main.htm

Bernhard
Old 02-21-2006, 04:34 PM

Thanks for the prompt response, and for getting that clip on here in the first place, Bernhard!
Old 02-21-2006, 04:38 PM
Pioneer Member

I like his solo too. I prefer solos which give an element of the groove a showing off as well as mad chops! Great pedal work and his dynamics are fabulous.
Old 02-22-2006, 05:32 PM

He played with my first cousin Russell Gunn they went to High school together back in East St Louis I heard him live when my cousin played a college here in Minnesota it so tight because you could tell how much fun the were have infusing hip- hop into traditional jazz
Old 02-22-2006, 07:19 PM

Whatever song is playing on his website is SWEET.

I really, really dig his solo in the DW vid...Thanks a TON Bernhard for showing me another great new guy to watch out for!
Old 02-26-2006, 02:31 AM

Terreon did a clinic at the University. He and Steffon Harris were there. I had to play and I was INCREDIBLY nervous. Gaah! At any rate, I didn't get entirely beat up by either of them. I really love his approach to music though. He will literally sit down with ALL forms of music and make sure he understands the approach, concept and mastery of that particular style. He went from African tribal to drum and bass. The whole point of this, was that in a Jazz context, he could take these different styles and integrate them into his playing. It was an extention of his vocabulary in that regard.
Old 02-26-2006, 08:32 AM
Stu_Strib

Impressive discography, impressive playing, impressive gear! Not so impressed by the multi-window popping up web site :-(
Old 02-26-2006, 06:49 PM
KARL MEMBER

Terreon Gully...mhhh...I would say that he is amazing. I`ve seen his video withthe band and he has a great coordition!! his technique is unbelievable and all in all he sounds just good...he is genius...

Karl

Drummerworld Myspace.
Old 08-24-2006, 04:16 AM

Default Tereon Gully

This is probably someone you've never heard of, but he is a very good drummer and just happens to have a video here.
For those of you concerned with speed, this is an incredibly simple solo, but it shows such speed (and he keeps the whole solo in time).
My dad, a band director at one of the top-most high schools in Texas, used to teach him, and I'm pretty sure that's him at the leftmost area of the banner at the top. Have fun with this one, I hope you like it.

Page
Video
Old 08-29-2006, 05:54 PM

Default Re: Tereon Gully

Great to see Terreon getting recognized. Rarely does a drummer come along that makes me
rethink what and how I play. "Tank" Gully is a guy who has done this and more. I was lucky enough to catch him a few years back in Chicago with the Christian McBride Band. Amazing!! This was after hearing him on the Stefon Harris/Jackie Terrason album "Kindred". I couldn't believe what I was hearing when I first listened to that album,....A player that had a similar approach to playing jazz as myself. Modern...definitely, but still had the swing feel when needed. Terreon is a virtual grab bag stylistically,.... the guy can play anything ! Keep a close eye on this cat, because he name will become a drummer's household name in the near future, right up there with all those who influenced him from the start.

Jay Alsman
Old 08-29-2006, 07:02 PM

Christian McBride CD "Live At Tonic" with Terreon Gully on drums.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:15 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Tereon Gully

This guy does some crazy stuff. I've only just recently become aware, but he's got me working on some awesome licks that I woulda never come up with on my own.

And that's great to hear that he was on a Stefon Harris album. I grew up in the same town (Albany, NY) and studied from the same Percussion teacher as he did, and I didn't realize Terreon was the drummer on "Kindred." I'm gonna have to go back and listen real hard to that stuff, cuz Terreon is quite the animal
Old 11-05-2006, 11:05 PM
Womble

The Christian McBride Band with Terreon Gully are playing at Ronnie Scott's from 23rd - 25th November: I will definitely be there. Anyone else thinking of going along?

His DW video has quickly become one of my favourites. I love how he pushes himself to the limits of his ability during that solo - he really starts to struggle with those bass drum 16ths! I find that kind of approach to the drums so much more exciting than watching someone you know can play it all..unless it's Vinnie of course.
Old 11-06-2006, 06:28 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Womble
...he really starts to struggle with those bass drum 16ths! I find that kind of approach to the drums so much more exciting than watching someone you know can play it all..unless it's Vinnie of course.
I know EXACTLY what you mean, Vinnie exception and all. There's one song from Chick Corea's "Mad Matter" record where Steve Gadd is obviously in new territory, and his beat just falls apart! Of course he never loses sight of the pulse (that's Gadd for ya), but there's no way you could transcribe what he played because things got so mangled. And any drummer that gets that far out there, however good or horrible they may be, definitely gets my respect because it shows they are willing to push themselves further than their current limits. So kudos to Terreon, I look forward to hearing him progress.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:17 PM

I'm goin to hang out with him and the Christian McBride band all next week in Aspen, CO. I'll tell ya how he's doin or say hi to him for you if you want.
Old 08-11-2007, 05:40 AM

i had a week of clincs and one on one stuff with terreon. heres some of the stuff he showed us. he had us playing off of "Exersises for developing funk grooves" By Naugu Chancler he also had us play beats from janet jacksons velvet rope. Hes also a big stickler about the way to set up. he recomends starting with one peace of your set at a time until everything is set up perfectly for you. here are the cds he recomends

tony williams- 4 and more
Vinnie Coilata- On the Corner
Winton marselis- black holes from the under ground