DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 11-01-2011, 04:49 PM

Default Need help with my Pearl rack

Hey everyone, I just bought a Pearl Rack called "The Drum Rack" designed by Jeff Porcaro and his drum tech. I know this a discontinued rack from like 15 or something years ago so I've been told. Currently I have it set up on my Sonor Force 2003 kit. My hardware and cymbal stands are all to small to fit in clamps, I have to wrap everything that's to small in a few layers of electrical tape for them to fit. It actually works pretty well, but now I'm looking to buy a new kit, either a Tama Swingstar, or a Pearl ELC Export, I've been told that Tama Hardware (Tom mounts) are too big for these clamps, and all Pearl ones will fit, does anyone know if this is true?
Thanks.
Old 11-01-2011, 07:18 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Need help with my Pearl rack

I think those clamps work "only" with 7/8 inch pipe. And if that's the case, then it will work with everyone's 7/8 inch pipe, but not 3/4 inch, or 1 inch pipe ...
Old 11-01-2011, 07:32 PM

Yeah I read they were 7/8 pipe just trying to make sure. Does happen to know if pearl has a standard size for their hardware?
Old 11-02-2011, 01:58 AM
Silver Member

They do, surprisingly it's 7/8". Tama tom holders are much smaller- 16mm ( an inch is about 25mm). There are clamps for the the icon rack which have the correct size connectors for tama gear, but you would need to swap the clamp end onto a DR 80 rack clamp as the clamps aren't compatable.

Iain

Last edited by bigiainw; 11-03-2011 at 12:36 AM.
Old 11-05-2011, 01:14 AM

Tamas us the L rod to mount the mount to the tom. Pearls mount differently, so if the tama mounts won't fit in the pearl rack maybe look at Gibraltar to bridge the 2?
Old 11-07-2011, 07:42 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by achdumeingute View Post
Tamas us the L rod to mount the mount to the tom. Pearls mount differently, so if the tama mounts won't fit in the pearl rack maybe look at Gibraltar to bridge the 2?
I'm not talking about the size of the end that goes into the tom mount, I was talking about the size of the pipe clamps.
Old 11-08-2011, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigiainw View Post
I'm not talking about the size of the end that goes into the tom mount, I was talking about the size of the pipe clamps.
We're you talking about clamp to the rack? Like the clamp itself won't fit on the rack?

I thought you were talking about Tom mount downright into the clamp itself. I was just saying that you can't use pearl tom mounts at all for tama drums because they won't fit at the actual drum. While the pearl Tom holder may fit in the pearl clamp it won't mount to the tama Tom.

The issue is the clamp on the rack won't accommodate a tama Tom mount? I'd guess Gibraltar makes a downrod to fit the clamp with an l connector for the actual Tom hookup. Pearl doesn't to my knowledge.

Last edited by achdumeingute; 11-08-2011 at 12:52 AM.