DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 10-30-2011, 01:35 AM
Doctor Dirt

Default New Heads for Signia Kit

My Signia kit has arrived and they need new heads any suggestions? I need to help produce volumn and projection and bottom without getting sloppy loose. I'm going into 2 new small rooms and mic ing them is a bit of over kill so were playing dry off of the bandstand. My standards have been Evans G2 clear batter and the G1 for reso the kick has been Aq. Super Kick 1 since they arrived in place of the remo PS 3.
The sizes are 10/12/14 and a 20 my standards have worked nicely on my Eames and YRC but never played the Signia I'm open for you Signia players or anyone that has had good experiences with something I'm not familar with.
The interiors look great and the bearing edges look new. I'm heading for ft. meyers for heads tomorrow so lend a hand and give me something to think about, thanks guys and gals. Doc
Old 10-30-2011, 04:17 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: New Heads for Signia Kit

I would give suede ambasadors a try- they sound awesome on the new mapex black panther blaster I heard the other day.
Old 10-31-2011, 07:29 PM
Doctor Dirt

Well I chickened out on the head application and went with my stock applications. I found out that Evans has changed their design on the G2 batter and I like the concept of the change and hopefully they sound as good as the reasoning behind the change.(better contact to the bearing edge)
So clear G2 up and clear G1 under 10/12/14 I got the smooth white regulator for the Reso and no one had a Aq. Super Kick 1 in stock(3 different music stores). The kick came to me with a Evans E-mad thats not in terrible shape so atleast I can get a good idea what this 20" maple 4ply is about.
Wiping them down with some deluted windex then a thin coat of carnuba wax to freshin them up abit. Gotta call some Sarasota stores to search out a SK 1 head or just order one from Interstate. I will try some coated batters once I get everything smoothed out with this kit. Doc
Old 11-01-2011, 08:36 PM
Doctor Dirt

With more research I've found that the Signia sets were 5ply maple instead of 4 and the rerings are shaved to the point of allowing a 5mm contact to the head. The newer Evans G2 have eliminated the wrinkling edges that lead to the rim and I think its giving a cleaner clearer sound. The Signia shells are very under sized, to the point were you need to make sure the spaces between the shell and head rim are equal all the way around the shell. You need to put weight downward on the head before you start turning rods or the spacings will shift.
I left the heads slightly detuned and the bottom end was huge coming off of these small toms (10 & 12) the lil 12x14 floor had more bottom than I need, I'm happy!!! The kick is still void of the Super Kick 1 till Thurs. but the Emad is ok, and I can't dial it in until I get someone to sit behind the beater.
I think I got a winner here and a new kit (different) came at the right time for me too!!! You know how these things generate the old vibe again.
Might be putting my Yamaha Recording Customs up for sale because the days of owning multiple kits just isn't realistic for me these days. Gonna go work on this kit now, see ya. Doc
Old 11-02-2011, 10:41 PM

New g2s?? I know that evans changed their website and that they now use the black ink ring instead of the old metal one on everything, but i didn't know they redesigned the g2. Is this something that just came out? Do you mind posting a link because this sounds really interesting and I can't find any info in the evans website? Thank you
Old 11-03-2011, 01:22 AM
Doctor Dirt

Wasn't aware of the change till I got to a Guitar Center store. The young fellow there explained that the new model was void of the wrinkled collar that comes up from the rim and that this technology helps produce a more prolific sound. The Signia I just bought are undersized and this new head style will obviously help these drums since the heads just sit very loosely on them. I'd guess without the wrinkles there possible improves the tuning because the tension becomes more even around the shell. Makes sense, not sure if its true but the kid sounded pretty good, especially for guitar center. Doc
Old 11-03-2011, 03:51 AM

Interesting. So now g2s are gonna have a similar collar like aquarian's drumheads which say their collar also prevents wrinkles in their heads even at low tensions. Should improve the sound and get rid of that flappy watery sound when you tune the floor toms to low and enable to tune them lower. Weird, I would expect a topic like that to be discussed around here as soon as the news comes out. Any chance you can post a link about the new g2s, I think it's pretty cool and i have to change drumheads soon so givin those new g2 would be nice. Thank you
Old 11-04-2011, 12:00 AM
Doctor Dirt

I have no link to offer I never heard of them until the kid at the store brought them out. They were offered in a pack of three heads 10/12/14 so I gave them a try. Doc