DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 10-27-2011, 10:02 PM

Default remo power stroke tips

i normally use super kick 2 but i had to go with the remo,i put some sticky back weather stripping on the inside muff flap about one inch from the edge all around the head,and i put stripping around the port on the inside of the head kinda like an e mad,what i tried to do is make a super 2 out of a power stroke.it sounds pretty dam good with nothing inside the drum.has any one done this kinda thing or tried to muff a bass drum like this with no pillow or planket.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:10 AM
Doctor Dirt

Default Re: remo power stroke tips

Well I'm guilty for screwing up every piece of equipment that has to do with drums in my younger dumber days hahaha!!! When you realize how much money these head companies spend on testing their products and how much you've spent on some rubber strip crap and some glue it kinda tells you in time to just figure out what head application you like and stick with it!!!
I use the Super Kick 1 because it seems to give me more bottom (thinner than SK 2) without being muffled and therefore more volumn. I use the hour glass looking pillow thing and cut off one end to make it flatter. The side with more material goes up against the reso head (regulator) and the side with very little material is barely touching the beater side. Thats it for muffling I tune to get the most bottom without making the tension a sloppy mess. The batter is very even in tension so my beater gives me good action the reso side is started even tension and slightly high and then I'm looking for the sweet lug that brings the low down side into play. Then get the other lugs to compliment. Doc

oh yeah you need a great sounding kick drum to go along with the other stuff.........I use YRC 6ply birch does a nice job.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:03 PM

Default Re: remo power stroke tips

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Dirt View Post
Well I'm guilty for screwing up every piece of equipment that has to do with drums in my younger dumber days hahaha!!! When you realize how much money these head companies spend on testing their products and how much you've spent on some rubber strip crap and some glue it kinda tells you in time to just figure out what head application you like and stick with it!!!
I use the Super Kick 1 because it seems to give me more bottom (thinner than SK 2) without being muffled and therefore more volumn. I use the hour glass looking pillow thing and cut off one end to make it flatter. The side with more material goes up against the reso head (regulator) and the side with very little material is barely touching the beater side. Thats it for muffling I tune to get the most bottom without making the tension a sloppy mess. The batter is very even in tension so my beater gives me good action the reso side is started even tension and slightly high and then I'm looking for the sweet lug that brings the low down side into play. Then get the other lugs to compliment. Doc

sk1s are cool,yes they have more bottom but i use a wood beater and the sk2s do it for me when i record,and i use a kick pad.i just needed something to hold me off becouse the super kicks were sold out.i use a14 by 22 rogers bass drum,one of the newer ones and it sounds pretty good.i kind have a heavy foot and i punched through a sk1 before and never used them again, that is why i like the sk2s there stronger and last me a long time.

oh yeah you need a great sounding kick drum to go along with the other stuff.........I use YRC 6ply birch does a nice job.
thanks for the reply ,i posted that just to get my feet in the door here.