DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 10-21-2011, 05:29 PM

Default EC2's clear much better than coated.

Just got some new clear EC2's for my maple kit, 10,12, 16 toms. Originally had EC2's coated and was overall disappointed with those. They sounded way to plasticky and i just hated the feel. I wasnt going to even try the clears,but i got them for free, so why not. I put em on and man they sound great. They really added a lot of life to my drums. I have them over some G1 resonants and I just wanted to recommend them to you guys.

Kryger
Old 10-22-2011, 12:32 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: EC2's clear much better than coated.

Same experience here. I tried the coated version first, and I didn't really like the tone or feel and kinda wrote 'em off.

Right now I'm using the clear versions and I absolutely love them. I'm using a Strata 1000 on the bottom to warm up the tone a bit, because I think they can be a little too clean and cold otherwise.
Old 10-22-2011, 01:03 AM
audiotech

I tried Evans coated EC2s about three years ago and they were only on my drums for a couple of days. The combination of a coated edge control double ply head was just too much. All five heads are still sitting in their boxes.

Dennis
Old 10-22-2011, 01:20 AM
"Uncle Larry"

I think the 2 ply heads sound better to the drummer and worse to the audience and single ply heads sound worse to the drummer but better to the audience. Talking unmiced here, and non metal/not too heavy music. I don't like any kind of premuffled head whatsoever. All they do is subtract frequencies, and I want to hear every one of them.

If you hit real hard 2 ply is the only option but a 2 ply head played at medium to low volumes doesn't have good attack or tone IMO. They sound good hit hard though. They don't work for me except on the snare.
Old 10-22-2011, 09:45 PM
Platinum Member

I never use single ply heads on the toms because they get dents too easily. I have never liked a double ply head on a snare. My Pearl toms have EC2 over EC Resonant, and my Gretsch toms have G2 over G1. All are clear, not coated. Both of my snares have an EC Reverse Dot on the batter with an Evans 300 on the snare side. To each his/her own. Peace and goodwill.

Gretsch Catalina toms and BD / Pacific SX Series (snare) / Sabian / Evans / Vater