DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 10-21-2011, 04:39 PM
joshvibert's Avatar
joshvibert joshvibert is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Oakwood, GA
Posts: 278
Default Country Drummers

I'm proud to be a Southern Country kinda guy. I like to hunt, fish, and listen to country music. I've never really played country, though. I've played punk, rock, blues, jazz, praise/CCM, and even hard rock/rapcore, but never country. I can't help but be impressed by some of the country drummers, though. Especially, say, Ben Sesar who plays for Brad Paisley. Since Country fits my personality I think it would be fun to play in a country group. Not so much older country, but more of the Zac Brown, Brad Paisley, Band Perry, etc kinda stuff.

What currently has me all messed up is that I heard on the radio this morning that Zac Brown is playing Phillips Arena on New Years Eve with Levi Lowery. Maybe none of you have heard of Levi Lowery (yet), but I grew up with the guy. We were in scouts together, went to the same church for awhile, and I did some session work for him when he was running a studio. I also played live for him at his first CD release party as an artist. I took issue with him singing some of the lyrics he was (the CD release was held in a church and I didn't feel that some of those lyrics belonged in a church) and told him to change them or I was leaving. He changed them that night, but I think that really upset him and we kinda lost touch over the last few years.

Hearing that on the radio this morning, it made me think, "If I hadn't opened my big mouth, that might be me playing behind him." Oh well, morals are worth more than money.

Anyway, do any of you play behind a county/folk/bluegrass band?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 10-21-2011, 06:05 PM
fixxxer's Avatar
fixxxer fixxxer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Texas
Posts: 390
Default Re: Country Drummers

I don't play in a country band, we are more rock and blues oriented. However, a couple of the guys in the band recently have been talking about doing Dewight Yokum's "Guitars & Cadillacs" as a cover tune. In playing around with it, I have found that country drumming has posed some challenge for me as I have never played much of it. It is a genre that I want to get more comfortable with. I kinda feel it's my duty as a Texan! :)
At church we play "God is Good" every once in a while. I always dread that one for it's country feel but I always seem to pull it off o.k.
I commend you for standing by your morals!
__________________
"For the words of the profits were written on the studio walls- CONCERT HALL!"
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 10-21-2011, 06:21 PM
larryace's Avatar
larryace larryace is offline
"Uncle Larry"
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In beautiful Bucks County, PA
Posts: 12,228
Default Re: Country Drummers

I had my stint with country bands, I was in 2 of them spanning 3 years in the early 80's. (right after the movie "Urban Cowboy" came out). It was a good experience that serves me well today.

There was a really great Southern Rock band near me in the early 80's. I had been in a band with the bass player of the Southern band previously, and I knew through him that their drummer was departing. I used to thumb it to their gigs to learn their stuff, so when their drummer left, I could just slide in with no rehearsal. Which I did. Practically the day I joined the band, our agent told us that we need to change our repetoire to all Country, because Country was hot then and it was easy to get gigs. So with zero background in Country music, I reluctantly tried my best to learn Country. It's pretty easy as long as you don't have a need to show off and overplay. Just keep time and make the others look good, minimal chops for sure. Any chops need to be super tasty.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 10-21-2011, 06:46 PM
Dr_Watso's Avatar
Dr_Watso Dr_Watso is online now
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,730
Default Re: Country Drummers

Folk, classic country, cash... that stuff I can get into. What is being called, and radio-played as "country" music today is kinda utter crap. It's basically really bad pop-rock with a "country" accent to the singing voice and "cowboy" hats on stage.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 10-21-2011, 06:50 PM
sticks4drums
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Country Drummers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
Folk, classic country, cash... that stuff I can get into. What is being called, and radio-played as "country" music today is kinda utter crap. It's basically really bad pop-rock with a "country" accent to the singing voice and "cowboy" hats on stage.
At least some of the newer stuff has some fun drumming in it. I would play for Garth Brooks any day. :)
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 10-21-2011, 06:53 PM
Dr_Watso's Avatar
Dr_Watso Dr_Watso is online now
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,730
Default Re: Country Drummers

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
At least some of the newer stuff has some fun drumming in it. I would play for Garth Brooks any day. :)
I'm honestly interested in examples. He'd be on the top of my list in the "really bad pop-rock" category given my last statement. My little sisters used to listen to that guys garbage right along side their backstreet boys albums. Have things changed since the 90's?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 10-21-2011, 07:23 PM
sticks4drums
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Country Drummers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
I'm honestly interested in examples. He'd be on the top of my list in the "really bad pop-rock" category given my last statement. My little sisters used to listen to that guys garbage right along side their backstreet boys albums. Have things changed since the 90's?
OK. Now you have me defending a genre that I hate. I was just saying that the new stuff is more fun to play than the old stuff. That's all. End of story. I won't be in a country band any time soon. Garth's drummer does have a double bass though. :)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 10-21-2011, 08:40 PM
BigSteve
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Country Drummers

Yes, I play in 2 country bands although the one in my signature is more older style country bluesy. I'm working on a set list for band #2 that is more of the modern country with a mix of some older stuff thrown in. Some of the modern stuff is closer to rock music than country music of old. Some examples of that would be Jason Aldean's "She's Country", another one by Aldean is "Hicktown". We do "Guitars, Cadillacs and Hillbilly Music" and "Fast as You" by Dwight Yoakam, I like both of those tunes. One of my favorites is by The Zak Brown Band called "Chicken Fried" and another with an insanely fast rock/train beat break called "Sic 'Em on a Chicken" lol!

I have to agree with Dr. Watso that there is alot of "Country Pop" out there but there is also some pretty good country tunes as well.

I've played more rock and blues over my lifetime and never thought I'd be playing country but after being in three different country bands in the last four years I'm very much enjoying it. Give it a shot....you might like it.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 10-21-2011, 09:49 PM
uniongoon's Avatar
uniongoon uniongoon is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: caesarea over looking the lake southern ontario
Posts: 992
Default Re: Country Drummers

Country is more fun and versatile than alot of the mainstream pop/rock. I do a Brooks and Dunn tribute band and a top 40 country type thing which also slips in some classic rock. Our ZZ Top tribute sometimes mates up with our Brooks and Dunn and it fits together pretty good.
Garth is the worst singer in history, alot like Ben Affleck as an actor, blah blah whitebread.
__________________
See my Signia's
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=73869
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 10-22-2011, 12:39 AM
ddrumman2004 ddrumman2004 is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Courtland MS
Posts: 323
Default Re: Country Drummers

Band I'm in does a lot of country....just depends on where we play.
Depending on the crowd, sometimes a whole show of old and newer country stuff is all they will dance to.
Then other times it's both, country and older rock. And it must be tunes they know. Original tunes don't work at the places we play.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 10-22-2011, 02:03 AM
beastdrummagirl's Avatar
beastdrummagirl beastdrummagirl is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: N/A
Posts: 242
Default Re: Country Drummers

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshvibert View Post
I'm proud to be a Southern Country kinda guy. I like to hunt, fish, and listen to country music. I've never really played country, though. I've played punk, rock, blues, jazz, praise/CCM, and even hard rock/rapcore, but never country. I can't help but be impressed by some of the country drummers, though. Especially, say, Ben Sesar who plays for Brad Paisley. Since Country fits my personality I think it would be fun to play in a country group. Not so much older country, but more of the Zac Brown, Brad Paisley, Band Perry, etc kinda stuff.

What currently has me all messed up is that I heard on the radio this morning that Zac Brown is playing Phillips Arena on New Years Eve with Levi Lowery. Maybe none of you have heard of Levi Lowery (yet), but I grew up with the guy. We were in scouts together, went to the same church for awhile, and I did some session work for him when he was running a studio. I also played live for him at his first CD release party as an artist. I took issue with him singing some of the lyrics he was (the CD release was held in a church and I didn't feel that some of those lyrics belonged in a church) and told him to change them or I was leaving. He changed them that night, but I think that really upset him and we kinda lost touch over the last few years.

Hearing that on the radio this morning, it made me think, "If I hadn't opened my big mouth, that might be me playing behind him." Oh well, morals are worth more than money.

Anyway, do any of you play behind a county/folk/bluegrass band?
Awh.... That stinks. Morals are def. worth sticking up for though. And I would probably do the same thing. I am in a blues/southern rock/country band. AND I LOVE IT. I was in a metal/rock band at first and this is totally different and fits my style perfectly. I think blues shows the most talent in drumming.
__________________
*gypsy in the soul, artist in the mind, human in the body.*
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 10-22-2011, 02:12 AM
Toolate Toolate is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,704
Default Re: Country Drummers

Dr Watso- Check out anything by Zac Brown Band- or Jason Aldean good drums on Dirt Road Anthem/My Kinda Party- good fun songs that dont have the classic country whine (not that I hate that but I think anti country types glaze over when they hear it).
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 10-22-2011, 01:53 PM
nhzoso
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Country Drummers

Never been a huge fan but have always enjoyed Hank Jr, Johnny Cash, and Garth Brooks, Hank JR does the best version of Blue Jeans Blues I have ever heard.

Am thinking of joining a local country band, been going through some of their songs and most of them are alot of fun to play, I tried playing Brad Paisley's Old Alabama yesterday, was good till the end where it goes into some kind of fast train beat. I was at the end of my practice time and did not have time to work on it buy am looking forward to figuring it out.. Anyone have a suggestion on the sticking?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 10-22-2011, 02:14 PM
8Mile's Avatar
8Mile 8Mile is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Detroit, MI
Posts: 2,449
Default Re: Country Drummers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
I'm honestly interested in examples. He'd be on the top of my list in the "really bad pop-rock" category given my last statement. My little sisters used to listen to that guys garbage right along side their backstreet boys albums. Have things changed since the 90's?
Really? I think he's one of the best in the genre. As a songwriter, vocalist and performer, the guy has a ton of talent.

I played in a country band and mostly... hated it. It's not my thing.

But that said, it was a fantastic learning experience for me. It was the gig that taught me how to play for the song. I thought I knew how to do that before, but once I started playing country, I realized I didn't. It forced me to work on that facet of my playing and I think I made big strides because of it.

I can't see myself wanting to join another country band, though.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 10-22-2011, 08:45 PM
Dr_Watso's Avatar
Dr_Watso Dr_Watso is online now
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,730
Default Re: Country Drummers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toolate View Post
Dr Watso- Check out anything by Zac Brown Band- or Jason Aldean good drums on Dirt Road Anthem/My Kinda Party- good fun songs that dont have the classic country whine (not that I hate that but I think anti country types glaze over when they hear it).
Thanks, I'll do that. I'll utube some right now.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 10-23-2011, 01:52 AM
DrumDoug DrumDoug is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Vacaville, California, USA
Posts: 146
Default Re: Country Drummers

If you need tips on playing a train beat, check out Tommy Harden's you tube videos. He plays for Reba Mcentire and used to play for Ricky Skaggs. His YouTube page is TempoTommy.

Last edited by DrumDoug; 10-23-2011 at 01:52 AM. Reason: Spelling
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 10-24-2011, 04:12 AM
Skitch's Avatar
Skitch Skitch is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Nashville
Posts: 2,737
Default Re: Country Drummers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
Folk, classic country, cash... that stuff I can get into. What is being called, and radio-played as "country" music today is kinda utter crap. It's basically really bad pop-rock with a "country" accent to the singing voice and "cowboy" hats on stage.
I like some of it and some of those in Cowboy hats onstage are my friends. Actually, there aren't many wearing cowboy hats onstage; most the singer. Most of the band look like modern rock musicians.

Everything has to evolve (just like cars, computers and technology) and at least in Country that you call utter crap, real musicians are still playing on the recordings.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com
http://www.patentcoachmike.com
http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.linkedin.com/in/mikemccraw
http://twitter.com/mikemccraw
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 10-24-2011, 04:13 AM
Skitch's Avatar
Skitch Skitch is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Nashville
Posts: 2,737
Default Re: Country Drummers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
I'm honestly interested in examples. He'd be on the top of my list in the "really bad pop-rock" category given my last statement. My little sisters used to listen to that guys garbage right along side their backstreet boys albums. Have things changed since the 90's?
Garth Brooks has outsold the Beatles.

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com
http://www.patentcoachmike.com
http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.linkedin.com/in/mikemccraw
http://twitter.com/mikemccraw
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 10-24-2011, 04:45 AM
jeremywarren.music jeremywarren.music is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Posts: 3
Default Re: Country Drummers

I play professionally for a major label country artist. I have toured with pop/rock and christian rock artist. Not that I am one, I am far from it, but some of the best musicians in the world play country!
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 10-24-2011, 08:12 AM
larryace's Avatar
larryace larryace is offline
"Uncle Larry"
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In beautiful Bucks County, PA
Posts: 12,228
Default Re: Country Drummers

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhzoso View Post
I tried playing Brad Paisley's Old Alabama yesterday, was good till the end where it goes into some kind of fast train beat. I was at the end of my practice time and did not have time to work on it buy am looking forward to figuring it out.. Anyone have a suggestion on the sticking?
The only 2 ways I know how to do train beats is either individually stroked double stroke rolls with the 2 strokes of the non starting hand accented, (r r L L r r L L r r L L r r L L) or, more commonly, single stroke 16th notes with the accent on the AND. (r l R l r l R l r l R l r l R l)
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 10-24-2011, 04:52 PM
unfunkyfooted's Avatar
unfunkyfooted unfunkyfooted is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The Place To Be
Posts: 831
Default Re: Country Drummers

country does seem to get a bad rap around here.

i prefer the older country. 1920s - early 80's, but the current crop of artists certainly have some chops. and the songwriting is stellar. unfortunately like in all genres there is a lot of jumping on the bandwagon and yes, hacks.
__________________
3BallMTY Is A Group !!!
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-25-2011, 02:30 AM
nhzoso
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Country Drummers

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
The only 2 ways I know how to do train beats is either individually stroked double stroke rolls with the 2 strokes of the non starting hand accented, (r r L L r r L L r r L L r r L L) or, more commonly, single stroke 16th notes with the accent on the AND. (r l R l r l R l r l R l r l R l)
Yeah I pretty much feel most comfy doing it with single stroked 16th's, it's just fast and and long and I lose it after a few measures but practice ,practice, practice. Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-25-2011, 02:31 AM
nhzoso
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Country Drummers

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremywarren.music View Post
some of the best musicians in the world play country!
I do not doubt that for 1 minute bro. There is some real tasty drumming going on in alot of country.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-25-2011, 10:35 PM
BigBelly BigBelly is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Northern California
Posts: 90
Default Re: Country Drummers

I had the opportunity to hang out with Rich Redmond, drummer for Country star Jason Aldean this past weekend in Reno, NV. Rich invited me to come in and watch soundcheck, then tour his kit and take a few pics. He started yelling, "bang that thing, bang it" but I was so damn nervous I just couldn't even think straight! Yes, I regret that already....

We then watched his show and this guy is a true showman! Very energetic show with some awesome drumming!!! He may not be your favorite but he is one of mine. He is one of the most accessable musicians and this guy comes from a drum/educational background and he seriously works hard to give back and help others be their best, be it drumming or not. Fantastic drummer, even a better guy.
__________________
SONOR-SABIAN
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10-25-2011, 11:03 PM
Deathmetalconga's Avatar
Deathmetalconga Deathmetalconga is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 7,221
Default Re: Country Drummers

Very few people here play - or admit to playing - country. Which is strange, because it's the most-listened-to genre in the US. Music with very low listenership - like metal and jazz - are the main topics of discussion here. What most of the musicians here want to play has very little to do with what the overwhelming majority of listeners want to here. Go figure.
__________________
Ironwood kit Tiki kit Openhanders Vids
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 10-26-2011, 03:19 AM
larryace's Avatar
larryace larryace is offline
"Uncle Larry"
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: In beautiful Bucks County, PA
Posts: 12,228
Default Re: Country Drummers

Oh there's some great country music. My favorite non drumming music to listen to is Bluegrass. I agree that most of the new Country is a joke, with some real standouts, but as a genre, it's very important and shouldn't be discounted. I'm proud to have played in Country bands. It took me places I never would have gone. I have many great memories from those years. Plus there are just some stellar players, and the songwriting is about stuff I can personally relate to. I know this because I can understand what is being sung about lol.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 11-09-2011, 08:20 AM
Skitch's Avatar
Skitch Skitch is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Nashville
Posts: 2,737
Default Re: Country Drummers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBelly View Post
I had the opportunity to hang out with Rich Redmond, drummer for Country star Jason Aldean this past weekend in Reno, NV. Rich invited me to come in and watch soundcheck, then tour his kit and take a few pics. He started yelling, "bang that thing, bang it" but I was so damn nervous I just couldn't even think straight! Yes, I regret that already....

We then watched his show and this guy is a true showman! Very energetic show with some awesome drumming!!! He may not be your favorite but he is one of mine. He is one of the most accessable musicians and this guy comes from a drum/educational background and he seriously works hard to give back and help others be their best, be it drumming or not. Fantastic drummer, even a better guy.
Rich IS a great guy! When I moved to Nashville, he helped me find a place to stay! He was also the only person to call me and tell me to stay positive! If you get a chance, check out his motivational drum clinic, Crash Course for Success!

Mike

http://www.mikemccraw.com
http://www.dominoretroplate.com
http://www.patentcoachmike.com
http://www.youtube.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.myspace.com/drummermikemccraw
http://www.facebook.com/mike.mccraw
http://www.linkedin.com/in/mikemccraw
http://twitter.com/mikemccraw
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 11-09-2011, 01:14 PM
Numberless's Avatar
Numberless Numberless is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Puerto Rico
Posts: 1,300
Default Re: Country Drummers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
Very few people here play - or admit to playing - country. Which is strange, because it's the most-listened-to genre in the US. Music with very low listenership - like metal and jazz - are the main topics of discussion here. What most of the musicians here want to play has very little to do with what the overwhelming majority of listeners want to here. Go figure.
But you gotta take into account that not everyone here lives or is from the US.
__________________
you inspire the ugliest things
drum vids-->http://www.youtube.com/user/Lastdragonrider88
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 11-09-2011, 11:19 PM
last man to bat's Avatar
last man to bat last man to bat is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: East Anglia
Posts: 248
Default Re: Country Drummers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Numberless View Post
But you gotta take into account that not everyone here lives or is from the US.
Which brings me to the question, probably a British ignorant one, but are the Dixie Chicks considered country? It is because of Greg Morrow's drumming that I listened to them, man that guy can groove. I then purchased another album where Chad Smith plays and was disappointed, the whole album sounded more rock than the Greg Morrow album. Both drummers played similar grooves but Greg's drumming just sat better with the band.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 11-10-2011, 02:38 PM
unfunkyfooted's Avatar
unfunkyfooted unfunkyfooted is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The Place To Be
Posts: 831
Default Re: Country Drummers

Quote:
Originally Posted by last man to bat View Post
Which brings me to the question, probably a British ignorant one, but are the Dixie Chicks considered country? It is because of Greg Morrow's drumming that I listened to them, man that guy can groove. I then purchased another album where Chad Smith plays and was disappointed, the whole album sounded more rock than the Greg Morrow album. Both drummers played similar grooves but Greg's drumming just sat better with the band.
yes they are.

hjgvuytu
__________________
3BallMTY Is A Group !!!
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 11-10-2011, 07:11 PM
last man to bat's Avatar
last man to bat last man to bat is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: East Anglia
Posts: 248
Default Re: Country Drummers

Quote:
Originally Posted by unfunkyfooted View Post
yes they are.

hjgvuytu
Thanks. So are they considered good country or more on the pop side?

I gave the Zac Brown Band a listen after Toolate's recommendation and quite liked some of it, but country as a genre is a world pretty much undiscovered to me.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 11-11-2011, 02:02 AM
Toolate Toolate is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 1,704
Default Re: Country Drummers

Check out Jason aldean. More CPU truism but rockin ay the same time.

I like it because it nevr irritates. Like on the way to work, at 6 am, I don't like metal or rap but country is good.

Also check out Eric church. Put a drink in my hand. Sweet tune.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 11-11-2011, 02:47 AM
IDDrummer's Avatar
IDDrummer IDDrummer is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: I-Dee-Ho
Posts: 3,287
Default Re: Country Drummers

I've played in a country band for about three years now (I'm currently on hiatus). I don't listen to country music normally, but if you want to play regularly in my area (and get paid decently), you had better be able to play it!

One thing I learned is that country drumming is mostly about feel. There are some songs that show off chops, but in my experience the are actually the easier ones to play. The hardest are the ones in which the drum part is simplistic but the feel is crucial - it takes a lot of concentration and a serious lack of ego.

Consider this song. The beat is totally simple, but I can't tell you how many people I've heard play it poorly. It comes out like a generic rock beat if you aren't careful.
http://youtu.be/oS1NfjLkdSM
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 11-11-2011, 04:41 AM
stuperprohero stuperprohero is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Indiana
Posts: 35
Default Re: Country Drummers

I was raised on metal and played many a metal gig.
Now that I've taken a 3 year break and have decided to start playing seriously again, I'm wanting to get heavier.

Then I get a phone call. My girlfriends mom and dad play in a country band and their drummer is in another band. They've been turning down gigs when the drummer plays with his other band and would like to play more. They asked if I would set in.
I never EVER considered playing country in my life. I have a funny feeling this may be a good learning experience. I have to admit I don't want it to turn into gigging all the time because I'd rather persue a progressive metal gig, but on the other hand this could be a good experience.

I know I'll hafta learn the train thang and a few other countryish patterns. The hardest part will be restraint, proper dynamics, and laying off the rimshots.
But yea there is some modern country I don't mind. There's also a lot of it that's somewhat pop/rock. Like 8 Second Ride by Jake owen and Beer on The Table by Josh Thompson that's catchy.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 11-11-2011, 11:38 PM
unfunkyfooted's Avatar
unfunkyfooted unfunkyfooted is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: The Place To Be
Posts: 831
Default Re: Country Drummers

Quote:
Originally Posted by last man to bat View Post
Thanks. So are they considered good country or more on the pop side?

I gave the Zac Brown Band a listen after Toolate's recommendation and quite liked some of it, but country as a genre is a world pretty much undiscovered to me.
it's definitely modern country. i'm not sure if that translates to "the pop side". their musicianship and vocals are highly respected. i don't think many consider them to be just jumping on the bandwagon.
__________________
3BallMTY Is A Group !!!
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 11-12-2011, 09:02 AM
Jim Mattingly Jim Mattingly is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 186
Default Re: Country Drummers

Although not a huge country fan I have played it before. Personally I would not pursue a staedy gig with a country band but it is a nice change. I have taken pride in the fact that I have not limited myself to just one specific genre, this has kept me playing out frequently for many years. Not knocking anyone who does either, just saying I have not limited myself. Today's country music tends to border on rock/pop rock depending who you are listening to, it does tend to make country drumming a little more challenging than from some of the older standards.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 11-12-2011, 09:10 AM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 10,221
Default Re: Country Drummers

I love playing country music when I get a chance to. It depends on the crowds and what they want to hear. I'd apparently show up at a casual expecting to play one thing and end up doing something completely different. I'm so glad I didn't voice my opinion and just played what was required. I didn't realize how hard that country shuffle can be when you're actually in the hotseat having to hold the band together. It's hard. Or playing using a brush in your hi-hat hand and doing a cross-stick in the other. All very subtle things but difficult to do because you're not always bashing or playing so fast no one can tell if you're making any mistakes.

I like playing classic country stuff (it's akin to being a good old skool bop drummer, I think) as opposed to alot of the newer stuff. Most of the venues I play in aren't hip to the new stuff anyway. So, Hank Williams, Johnny Cash, Patsy Cline, that era of artists would be the country I'd most likely be playing.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 11-12-2011, 01:36 PM
dmacc's Avatar
dmacc dmacc is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,310
Default Re: Country Drummers

I played in a country band from 1984-1989 and we were always booked in the better local clubs.

Our library spanned from 1950's until what would of been top 40 at that time. Though I have not played in a country band since, I had a blast playing it and learned a lot from doing it.
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:00 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com