DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 10-18-2011, 01:58 AM

Default where to buy heads?

Where do folks recommend buying heads, online thru Amazon or through some musical equipment online co.? please advise, pete
Old 10-18-2011, 02:00 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: where to buy heads?

I get mine from the shop. But if I were to buy online I'd look at ebay or this joint: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/
Old 10-18-2011, 02:01 AM
Gold Member

shop around the cheaper the better. I either get mine from my local music store or Musicians friend, Music 123
Old 10-18-2011, 02:05 AM
Platinum Member

For heads, it doesn't really matter. But I kind of like shopping at brick and mortar stores just to make sure they stay in business. I like having somewhere to check out cymbals and drums. If all drum retail goes online, then buying cymbals and drums will become much less enjoyable and satisfying.

Last time I reheaded my kit, I went to GC and they had everything I was interested in (including 15" heads). The time before that, I shopped online.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
For heads, it doesn't really matter. But I kind of like shopping at brick and mortar stores just to make sure they stay in business. I like having somewhere to check out cymbals and drums. If all drum retail goes online, then buying cymbals and drums will become much less enjoyable and satisfying.

Last time I reheaded my kit, I went to GC and they had everything I was interested in (including 15" heads). The time before that, I shopped online.
The problem i have doing this is that my local store only has an average of 3 different styles of heads from the big 3 and a lot of the time they are not the styles I was shopping for. (Although the store is moving to a bigger location across the street, yeah!!)
Old 10-18-2011, 09:54 PM
Gold Member

I have found music 123 seems to have very competative pricing plus they have free shipping in the USA, they are on ebay as well as on amazon.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeM View Post
I agree. What I refer to as the "local drum shop" is an hour drive away from me. I am very lucky that they have a good selection and good prices. Peace and goodwill.

Gretsch Catalina toms and BD / Pacific SX Series (snare) / Sabian / Evans / ProMark
Old 10-18-2011, 11:25 PM
Silver Member

My "local" drum shop is http://www.columbuspercussion.com/store/ even though I haven't lived in Columbus in 12 years. Thankfully this new crazy internet allows me to still order from them.

My local GC (Montgomery, AL) is worthless as a drum shop and the smaller music stores in the area just cannot afford to carry inventory of drum stuff, especially the stuff I prefer(Aquarian). I don't hate them for it and use them in an 'emergency,' thankfully I can go online and order and have it shipped in quickly. Regardless, Alabama has an insane 10% sales tax which makes ordering online a much better option.
Old 10-18-2011, 11:58 PM
audiotech

I usually keep a stock of two heads for every drum I have, batter and resonant, so I'm never in a bind if I have to change something immediately. When I buy heads it's almost always at my favorite Five Star drum shop in PA.

I also have many like new heads that were mounted less than a week and were then changed for something else. I keep them just in case they might sound good on a future purchase.

Dennis
Old 10-19-2011, 12:04 AM
Doctor Dirt

The majority of the time I use a Mom & Pop store in Sarasota Fl. called Foghts Music. They have a great drum head selection and they match the franchise stores prices. Nice people who own it (Queenie) and a very good staff that has knowledge and a few of them are excellant musicians. Its very sad to see Mom & Pop places eliminated by sterile franchises with kids working there that sometimes haven't a clue (most are nice kids) hahaha!! If I can't get there Cassio is ok I think thats Interstate??? Man do I miss Banko's (Ansonia Ct.) & Manny's (NYC). Doc
Old 10-19-2011, 12:08 AM
Administrator

The closest music store that sells Evans will do you right.
Old 10-20-2011, 04:13 PM
Platinum Member

Online, way cheaper, fast and always in stock. I would love to give my local shop business but they are committed to the school and church music business. And quite frankly the staff is a bit snobby so........