Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 10-26-2011, 05:27 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Pedals is my Life..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Pedal View Post
Thanks Luke,

That Trick does surprise me... It should be smooth...

Dr. Pedal
I will corroborate your claim that Tricks are smooth. I own a Trick double pedal (Pro 1V - Bigfoot) and I can say unequivocally, that it is the smoothest pedal I have ever played, and I have played most major brands top end offerings over my 40 years in the saddle. It is truly a case of engineering smoothness into a pedal thru superior design.

F
Old 10-26-2011, 06:45 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted T View Post
Hey Dr. Pedal,

Thanks for your insight. I just bought a Sonor SP472, single pedal about 50 bucks. I don't know much of anything about pedals, but I tightened the spring tension and moved the beater further back from the drum head because I like resistance, a good distance to drive my foot down, and the pedal angle a little high off the ground. I haven't done much tweaking yet, but I've noticed that when I'm playing a simple rock groove where I kick the drum hard on the 1 and 3, the pedal kinda pops back and hits the head again very lightly. I can avoid this if I alter my foot technique, but any idea what that is? I probably just gotta mess around with the pedal a little. It's making all of my quarter notes sound like the intro to "When the Levee Breaks."

I'll also be getting Sonor Giant Step pedals down the road including the Twin Effect Pedal. Any knowledge of those pedals?

I will check out your website. Thanks!
Hi Ted

I play with a similar foot technique, and when I started I had the same problem that you described above. I've find two way to remedy this problem.

1. I moved the beater further away from the drum head, so that when my foot is resting on the pedal with no action at all, the beater is about 5 to 8 centimeters from the head.

2. I'm guessing that you play heel-up, I do use this technique when I play fast notes and I just added the Toe-heel technique for any last stroke of a pattern. (Toe-heel: for 2 strokes I play the first one Heel-up and on the second one is like a rocking motion from the toe in the up position to the heel in the down position, so that my foot is resting on the pedal, this technique actually stop the pedal action). If I play three 16th notes in row, the last one is hit using Toe-heel, and when play quarter note I only use Toe-heel.

Hope this is of some help
Old 10-27-2011, 12:55 AM
Pollyanna's Agent

[quote=Dr. Pedal;905732]Thanks for the insite... it makes great since, and if I wasn't so old I was a bus boy at the last supper, I'd give er a go... I was of the Louis Bellson school that shoulder is slower than the elbow and the wrist slower than the fingers, so I applied that to the leg and planted my heel... It took a while, but it did, if I may say, make me very fast but still with power. I could never get the heel up style, your combining ankle and leg and kind of balancing on your butt... But by the same token, If I were a better drummer, I probably wouldn't be a designer... I'd be playing for a living...

As to the force to push down, that's where Quick Torques are very much like a compound bow, they are much easier to push down... Because a cam is used instead of an "arm" the curves of the cam have a power or input side, and a different return side. Each "side" of the cam is curved to improve the efficiency. The "In depth" video posted below explained it fairly well.. Does that help?

If I got it right, it should mean that I should gain more power without changing my playing. Also I could have the spring tighter than before with the same feel on the pedal, or at least a combination of the two, it does sound quite promising.

Another quick query, the Falcon replaced my good old friend Tama Camco bought in early 80's and I'm going to keep it. Any chance that the Quick Torque Cam will fit both pedals?

I think I'm going to accept your offer and try the Quick Torque Cam.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:09 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
So Luke, do you facebook...

Friend me at Lucas Jacobson. Minneapolis I'd like to stay in touch...

PEACE

Dr. Pedal.
Done! Its nice to "meet" you, I'll definitely stay in touch!
Old 10-27-2011, 01:18 AM

[quote=Mad About Drums;905998]
Quote:
Thanks for the insite... it makes great since, and if I wasn't so old I was a bus boy at the last supper, I'd give er a go... I was of the Louis Bellson school that shoulder is slower than the elbow and the wrist slower than the fingers, so I applied that to the leg and planted my heel... It took a while, but it did, if I may say, make me very fast but still with power. I could never get the heel up style, your combining ankle and leg and kind of balancing on your butt... But by the same token, If I were a better drummer, I probably wouldn't be a designer... I'd be playing for a living...

As to the force to push down, that's where Quick Torques are very much like a compound bow, they are much easier to push down... Because a cam is used instead of an "arm" the curves of the cam have a power or input side, and a different return side. Each "side" of the cam is curved to improve the efficiency. The "In depth" video posted below explained it fairly well.. Does that help?

If I got it right, it should mean that I should gain more power without changing my playing. Also I could have the spring tighter than before with the same feel on the pedal, or at least a combination of the two, it does sound quite promising.

Another quick query, the Falcon replaced my good old friend Tama Camco bought in early 80's and I'm going to keep it. Any chance that the Quick Torque Cam will fit both pedals?

I think I'm going to accept your offer and try the Quick Torque Cam.
Yes, in fact both pedals uses the same Quick Torque cam, It's only the DW's that use the Square hole that uses a different Quick Torque Cam.

So yes, please if you would actually go to e-bay and look up Quick Torque Cams and order for the round pedals like tama pearl camco... I'll recognize you on the order, but people are finding me there, then buying from the website, so I don't have much feedback there on e-bay yet... If you'll order them that way, I'll refund your shipping, you'll have e-bay buyer protection, and PLEASE be honest, good bad or indifferent with any feedback... This may be a slight bribe, but don't let it influence you??... Well that was awkward, but I'm a designer, and only learning to be a marketer... Thanks Mad..
Old 10-27-2011, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeSnyder View Post
Done! Its nice to "meet" you, I'll definitely stay in touch!
OK THEN... Now go play tighter than a republicans wallet!!!

thanks
Old 10-28-2011, 07:49 PM

Hi Dr. Pedal,

Let me first thank you for your contribution to drumming, drum pedagogy and pedal design. In my opinion the 9000 is still the best pedal on the market.

I invented the DW5000 Heel Less pedal and share they same passion for pedal technology as you. Here's a link to my Youtube channel where I have some bass drum technique and live performance videos posted. You can also see the demo that I did at DW with Rich.

http://www.youtube.com/user/mpacker49?feature=mhum

Keep up the good work Dr. Pedal. Can't wait to see what you develop in the future!

Best,

Mike Packer
Old 10-28-2011, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpacker49 View Post
Hi Dr. Pedal,

Let me first thank you for your contribution to drumming, drum pedagogy and pedal design. In my opinion the 9000 is still the best pedal on the market.

I invented the DW5000 Heel Less pedal and share they same passion for pedal technology as you. Here's a link to my Youtube channel where I have some bass drum technique and live performance videos posted. You can also see the demo that I did at DW with Rich.

http://www.youtube.com/user/mpacker49?feature=mhum

Keep up the good work Dr. Pedal. Can't wait to see what yo come up with in the future!

Best,

Mike Packer
Hey Mike...

Rich and the boy's are quite fun eh... Glad to see I'm not the only one!!! GOOD LUCK!!

Lucas
Dr. Pedal
Old 10-30-2011, 08:48 PM

I`m impressed by your work. If more drummers and creative people trying pushing the market further, we sure will have some interesting products ahead.

I also like building drumgear. You can see the pedal at Frankfurt Musikmesse 2011 in this
video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bB9JR...eature=related

This is just the prototype. Both double and singles will be put into manufacturing soon.

In addition, It has several patent pendings that are unique to this pedal.

All the best to you and your business! I sended you a PM aswell.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:32 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumjuice View Post

This is just the prototype. Both double and singles will be put into manufacturing soon.
That is an awesome looking pedal .... hopefully, I'll get to put my foot on one ...
Old 10-30-2011, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumjuice View Post
I`m impressed by your work. If more drummers and creative people trying pushing the market further, we sure will have some interesting products ahead.

I also like building drumgear. You can see the pedal at Frankfurt Musikmesse 2011 in this
video.

In addition, It has several patent pendings that are unique to this pedal.

All the best to you and your business! I sended you a PM aswell.
Hey Drumjuice..'

Nice pedal... and welcome to the cut throat world of musical instrument manufacture... If I can offer any advice... Know your legal rights, and don't let people discourage you.. Stay Creative My Friend...
Old 10-30-2011, 11:05 PM
Platinum Member

video.

I like the invisible hoop clamp on this pedal and I won't say what US made pedal it looks like, its pretty obvious.
Old 10-31-2011, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Les Ismore View Post
video.

I like the invisible hoop clamp on this pedal and I won't say what US made pedal it looks like, its pretty obvious.

Concerning the invisible hoopclamp, Less is more right? :)

The hoop clamp was under patent investigation at that time to assure ourselfs, that we wont do any patent infringement. But to say the obvious, it has a hoopclamp now.

Last edited by Drumjuice; 10-31-2011 at 03:51 AM.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:27 AM

Hey Guys,

Just updated the website, and I want to thank all of you, all over the world who have given Quick Torque Cams a try http://www.eccentricsystems.com
Old 11-01-2011, 07:07 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Hey Guys,

Just updated the website, and I want to thank all of you, all over the world who have given Quick Torque Cams a try http://www.eccentricsystems.com
Hi Lucas

Just had a glance on the new website and your facebook's page, looks great and I've seen that you have international shipping now... even in Sweeden.

Keep up the good work

Talk to you real soon...

Take care

Henri
Old 11-05-2011, 03:39 AM

Hey Lucas, can't wait for the cams to get here, and I loved the confirmation email, got a good laugh from it. I'll be setting them up on my eliminator doubles and giving them a try. I'll let you know how it all goes. The second single cam I ordered is also for the doubles, I want to do an experiment with putting a spring and cam on the actual slave pedal side as well as the slave connection on the primary pedal. As you would know, slave pedals have a noticeable lag due to the link, have you had much experience with doing this?

- Joshua

Btw, for anyone who needs a good chuckle, here's the email:

Quote:
It [your package] should arrive in two weeks or less, depending upon how far out back you are, and of course, the number of camels and cane toads that must be eliminated in the journey, not to mention the crocks that must be avoided...

We'll always be here for you for any questions,* problems, and bad jokes... So feel free to contact us any time...
Old 11-05-2011, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutzy View Post
Hey Lucas, can't wait for the cams to get here, and I loved the confirmation email, got a good laugh from it. I'll be setting them up on my eliminator doubles and giving them a try. I'll let you know how it all goes. The second single cam I ordered is also for the doubles, I want to do an experiment with putting a spring and cam on the actual slave pedal side as well as the slave connection on the primary pedal. As you would know, slave pedals have a noticeable lag due to the link, have you had much experience with doing this?

- Joshua

Btw, for anyone who needs a good chuckle, here's the email:
Hey Mutzy...

Thanks, we're trying this new thing for American Business, Customer Service... It's a little nostalgic but I like it... They should reach you this week... and we're here for any questions... For your Eliminator, you may find that opening the cam to about 50% should feel pretty good, and if you want a good comparison, try this...

The main pedal attached to the drums has a spring on the right for the right pedal, and on the left for the slave... Put the left Quick Torque cam on the pedal first so that the slave has the quick torque and the right has the original spring arm. This will give you a chance to try the quick torque against the original sort of an A vs. B...

As to putting the second cam on the slave, I hope you'll find that most of the lag will go away with the Quick Torque, but if you DO find you want to try that, I would suggest that you use a very light spring on the slave frame. Remember that your foot is what puts the energy into the spring, so doubling the springs, could double how much force you need to build the springs.

Honestly, I'd like to hear back whichever way you go, so stay in touch mate...

Lucas

And for those who don't know about what we're talking about, here's a link to the site...

http://www.eccentricsystems.com
Old 11-05-2011, 02:03 PM
Platinum Member

Mpacker49 & Dr. Pedal...

The only pedal I've ever used that I loved but no longer have is the Gretsch Free Floating Pedal.

I find so many of the pedals of today are heavy/bulky and the weight distribution is horrible.

The only pedal I use now is a DW5000 with the strap (I do not like chains) and no fancy heel anything from what I can tell. I purchased about 10+ years ago and can tolerate it.

I feel like my opportunities are running out in life to get a simple pedal that is well balanced and lightweight.

I'm only 45 and have been playing about 34 years so I've had a chance to try out a ton of pedals and other gear but this one particular piece of equipment concerns me the most.

Thoughts?
Old 11-05-2011, 03:53 PM
Pollyanna's Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
I feel like my opportunities are running out in life to get a simple pedal that is well balanced and lightweight.

I'm only 45 and have been playing about 34 years so I've had a chance to try out a ton of pedals and other gear but this one particular piece of equipment concerns me the most.

Thoughts?
Have you thought about trying the Quick Torque Cam From Eccentric systems (Dr Pedal).

It is designed to give smoother and quicker returns of the beater with a lighter overall feel...
Old 11-05-2011, 11:53 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad About Drums View Post
Have you thought about trying the Quick Torque Cam From Eccentric systems (Dr Pedal).

It is designed to give smoother and quicker returns of the beater with a lighter overall feel...

I have not but I just visited the site to see it has a chain. Geeez........

Sorry, ff I can't test it in person, I'm not willing to gamble.
Old 11-06-2011, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacc View Post
Mpacker49 & Dr. Pedal...

The only pedal I've ever used that I loved but no longer have is the Gretsch Free Floating Pedal.

I find so many of the pedals of today are heavy/bulky and the weight distribution is horrible.

The only pedal I use now is a DW5000 with the strap (I do not like chains) and no fancy heel anything from what I can tell. I purchased about 10+ years ago and can tolerate it.

Thoughts?
Hey Mpacker49...

You have hit upon one of my most difficult problems as a designer with this problem of bulk and balance... When working for/with the major companies they wanted pedals and high hats that, to me, seemed OVER built. I was once told at a design review that; "We don't want hardware that will still work after it's fallen out of the truck. We need hardware that will still work after it falls out of a plane"...

I guess I can understand it, when you provide gear for players playing arena's, it CAN NOT break, but even for me things got a bit ridiculous...

I know that Gretsch pedal, you liked.. I fear it was a casualty of the Gretsch company being sold I believe to Gibson. As to the feel you're looking for, with that light quick snap, I'd have to suggest installing a Quick Torque Cam from Eccentric Systems Drum Company on to your DW 5000. This Cam should give you that snap back you've been missing. I've attached a link http://www.eccentricsystems.com

Those are my thoughts anyway....

Thanks
Dr. Pedal
Old 11-06-2011, 01:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Hey Mpacker49...

You have hit upon one of my most difficult problems as a designer with this problem of bulk and balance... When working for/with the major companies they wanted pedals and high hats that, to me, seemed OVER built. I was once told at a design review that; "We don't want hardware that will still work after it's fallen out of the truck. We need hardware that will still work after it falls out of a plane"...

I guess I can understand it, when you provide gear for players playing arena's, it CAN NOT break, but even for me things got a bit ridiculous...

I know that Gretsch pedal, you liked.. I fear it was a casualty of the Gretsch company being sold I believe to Gibson. As to the feel you're looking for, with that light quick snap, I'd have to suggest installing a Quick Torque Cam from Eccentric Systems Drum Company on to your DW 5000. This Cam should give you that snap back you've been missing. I've attached a link http://www.eccentricsystems.com

Those are my thoughts anyway....

Thanks
Dr. Pedal
Well thanks for at least recognizing that so much of this hardware is way overbuilt. I think it's ridiculous in some cases (especially pedals).