Survey: How much do you pay (or charge) for drum lessons?

heavy-metal-bongos

I'm going to start teaching drums so i just want to do some research of prices other than my own lessons.

I'm just asking for you to state a price but if you have any other information regarding teaching drums that you would like to share you're welcome.

Thanks

I've been paying £22 an hour with a teacher here in Bradford. He's got me from beginner to 12 months into it, tho we just parted ways as we felt I could get on OK on my own with occasional lessons.

I paid £26 for an hour with 'the best drum teacher in Sheffield' - Tony Cannelli, a rate that reflects his experience.

HTH

I used to pay 26 pound for an hour at a studio where i think he had some sort of rental charge, at his home which was too far at the time for me to travel it was only 20 per hour. I found him to be a great teacher

I see people advertising to teach beginners at like £10 - £15, but these people obv aren't v experienced and will just teach people the basics

When I first began I was basically unexperienced as a teacher and just wanted to offer an option to those on the waiting list for the public music schools. In Norwegian prices I charged about $35. These days I don't do it much since teaching in a public music school is my main job, but the price is about $80.

I offer £10 per half hour, so £20 an hour basically.

I was paying $85.00/month (1 half hour lesson every week). My teacher just raised it to $100/month. So it averages out to about $25/half hour.

These are NZ prices so it's hard to compare. My teacher charges $60 an hour/$30 half hour which isn't extravagant but is above average. I charge $40 an hour but I've only just started with a couple of students and I'm not relying on it as a major source of income.

It's also important to consider the teacher's operating costs - my teacher charges $60 but that's including GST (VAT for you UK folk) which goes straight the the guv'mint and his rent and petrol costs have to come out of that, which I estimate is about $5 out of every $60.

I'm going to start teaching drums so i just want to do some research of prices other than my own lessons.

I'm just asking for you to state a price but if you have any other information regarding teaching drums that you would like to share you're welcome.

Thanks

What is your experience/background? Lessons here (east coast of US) can range from $20 per half hour to well over $100 per hour. The teacher's experience and background will be a factor in pricing.

Jeff

$60 an hour about twice a month. Great teacher too. I only take lessons from November through april though.. Then I work on my own the other 6 months.

For me being an adult with a job and family weekly lessons was a waste of money because I never had enough time to practice what I just learned before having to go back for another lesson. My latest instructor pointed this out to me and we adjusted my schedule. Ends up being less money for him but helped me immensely and I have gotten him 2 new students so it has been a win win It's hard to fiind a good teacher but when you do stick with him.

I also believe the amount of money charged should be commensurate with the experience of the teacher.

Dennis

Last teacher was 70 per hour, new teacher is about 60 per hour. Both are rather well respected musicians. The more expensive had more degrees from Muso schools, which I think is the difference.

Back