DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 10-07-2011, 12:49 PM

Default Different types of bass drum pedals (not just single and double)

Hey guys,

First post on here as you may have seen. Basically I'm doing a dissertation on drum pedals and their adjustability and I was wondering if you could help me out a bit. I've been drumming for like 9 years now (stopped having lessons about 2 years ago) so I thought that it would only make sense to do a dissertation topic on something that I was slightly familiar with.

I guess my first question is, what are the various different types of drum pedals. Obviously there are single and doubles and the variations of how those are laid out, but what I'm getting at are the ways that the pedal and beater are returned to their starting position. I know that the majority of pedals use a tension spring attached to the post of the pedal like on the Pearl Eliminators, then there are some pedals which use a compression spring like that found in the Trick Pro1-V and then there is that other pedal which was made by some guy that uses magnets I think it's called the Drumnetics Magnetic Pedal. Does anyone know if there are any other variations like using rubber instead of springs etc?

My second question is, what are the problems with the adjustability and the functionality of existing drum pedals. From what I can see, using springs means that the resistive force when you press on the pedal is exactly the same as the force used to return the spring back to its original position. This is what my dissertation looks at and aims to find a way to split the motion of pressing on the pedal to when your foot is released from the pedal to return the beater off the bass drum head/skin.

Any help is much appreciated. And if you do come up with any issues with already existing pedals (maybe you own them or know of the issues) can you please let me know what pedal it is you are referring to please?
Old 12-13-2011, 12:20 AM

Default Re: Different types of bass drum pedals (not just single and double)

Hi! Ive done a lot of research on pedals and id like to see if i cant help you out a little!
Different kinds
Three "main categories" in my eyes are based on the drives
Chain drive- your usual pedal, the cam is turned by a chain, sometimes single chain or double chain. Double chain is usually considered superior because of added durability and often times better feel

Direct drive- This is the metal bar connection you see on pedals such as trick, axis, demon drives, ect. These pedals are often times preferred by people wanting to have complete control over their pedal or looking for faster tempos. The reason for this is because unlike with a chain pedal, there will never be any "play" in the motion. With a chain pedal, if you push down and let off the pedal too quickly, it will sometimes "smack" up and cause slack in the chain, resulting in a lack of control. With a metal bar, the cam and the foot board can not move independently.

Other- This category is where i lack in knowledge, it includes "odd" drive systems like belts, ect. I cant tell you much about this except from my experience it feels a little smoother than chain drive.

As for how the pedal moves, all i know of are the traditional spring, the compression spring (trick pedals) and the magnetic pedal, so youre on the right track. (might want to take a look at the gibraltar catapult pedal however, it tries to change the way the foot board returns to the original position) Also, i like the idea of using rubber! like 2 hemispheres of a super ball? I think it could work with some tweaking!

Next part which leads into your questions about problems/ adjustability/ functionality is long board and short board. Long board is basically just a longer foot board, a lot of people like these because it shifts the "sweet spot" back so there is more control. I personally play long boards (tama speed cobras) and love them. Long board vs. short board is all personal taste though.

Finally, Problems/ Adjustability/ Functionality
Problems:
I think the main problem people have with pedals is they cant always find the one that feels "right" right off the bat. If companies would offer demo pedals (they probably do and im just not aware) i think alot more people would be comfortable with pedals. Another problem that personally drove me crazy was the play in chain pedals. (if you dont know what i mean and cant figure it out with your pedal, go find a swingset and swing as high as you can, eventually youl feel the chain start to smack when you reach the top and start to come back, thats the same thing) This problem is solved by the direct drive link, but also the only other way i have seen it successfully lowered significantly is with the tama speed cobras. They feature a "recessed setting" that basically pulls the chain back, and for some reason that gets rid of a lot of the play. So thats a big problem that if you could fix and find a way to do it cheap people would love you.

Adjustability:
So many pedals have so many ways to adjust them now, i dont think there is much you could do to help here. For example, look at the pearl eliminators, axis a series, and tama pedals. The axis and tama offer independent foot board adjustments and beater angle, beater head angle, almost everything you could ask for. The pearl doesnt allow for foot board independent adjustments, but it allows you to change the angle of the chain by moving the foot board forward/backward, 6 (check me on that) different cam designs that are interchangeable, and a bunch of other options im forgetting. Be sure to look at those.

Functionality:
The only thing i think that you could help with here is improving durability without jumping price. For durable, high end pedals people have to shell out $400 or more, and i dont think too many people would like a $50 jump. So improving durability without a major jump in price. Other than that, with people cruising at 300+bpm, i dont think that there are many functionality issues.

Hope the facts help! but now i have a question. Could you go more in depth on what your trying to accomplish? im not sure if your trying to lower the distance the foot has to travel to achieve the same effect or lower the initial resistance and increase resistance after the pedal has hit the drum head and it coming back. for the later of the two, only thing i can think of that any major company has tried is either the cobra coil from tama (sucks on the iron cobra series, kinda works on the speed cobras) or trick's compression spring (all it does is make it a more even resistance, it doesnt speed it up on the way back)
Old 01-01-2012, 02:35 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Different types of bass drum pedals (not just single and double)

There is someone who makes a pneumatic drum pedal.

PDP used to offer a pedal without a spring at all - the plastic footboard provided the flex.

I use a Duallist, which relies primarily on springs but uses rubber bands to store energy as well.