DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 10-05-2011, 06:51 AM

Default headphones

hey guys. i just got my pair of vic firth s1h1 isolation drumming phones, and they sound better than i thought they would (from reading reviews) aside from that, they dont isolate enough as i thought they would. i am still having to turn my music much too loud in order to hear it over my drums.

i also have tried iems from skullcandy, altec lansing, sennhesier (sp), and with the dual flange tips, they cancel out just about as much as the vic firth s1h1s.

anyone know a good pair of earphones that work better than these two options, preferably >$100 that i could return my vic firths for?

i found a pair of cad dh100 drum phones, but they say they -19db, which is less than the vic firths rated at -25db. anyone know if the cads work better?

many thanks
Old 10-05-2011, 08:50 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: headphones

is this for studio or live?

in the studio i use either sennheiser hd280 or beyerdynamic dt150's

but for live i use my shure se215

all can isolate A LOT decent sound from all of them too.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:15 PM

they are all out of my price range, but the hd280s i may be able to manage. any other avaliable ones? they are for tracking in my basement, i just want to be able to hear my music over the drums.

also do you think the cad dh100 would do any better than the vic firth s1h1, or ill be in the same boat if i return them for the cads? thanks

http://www.zzounds.com/item--CADDH100

http://www.zzounds.com/item--VICSIH1
Old 10-05-2011, 05:48 PM
Silver Member

Thats really interesting! I actually move mine one muff from over my ear to half way on to get more sound.
Old 10-05-2011, 05:56 PM
Platinum Member

You mean <$100 (less than) right?

Etymonics 6i or 5mf with foam eartips (they come with 4-5 different types of eartips, including the foam ones). They're $60-80 depending on where you buy them.

I started with the VF headphones and had to turn my metronome up to 10. Now with the Etymonics+Foam tips I have the metronome at 5.5. It's shocking at first... My drums are quieter (to me) than what I normally listen to music at...
Old 10-05-2011, 06:05 PM
Silver Member

I just realized I didn't offer any suggestions. I went to home depot and bought a $15 pair of 3M sound isolation ear muffs and then put either my iPod or Bose headphones underneath them. Sometimes you might have issue with the cord getting pulled out, but you should be all right with some maneuvering. One thing I didn't like about the Vic Firths was that a lot of the highs were coming through. I love you.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuo View Post
You mean <$100 (less than) right?

Etymonics 6i or 5mf with foam eartips (they come with 4-5 different types of eartips, including the foam ones). They're $60-80 depending on where you buy them.

I started with the VF headphones and had to turn my metronome up to 10. Now with the Etymonics+Foam tips I have the metronome at 5.5. It's shocking at first... My drums are quieter (to me) than what I normally listen to music at...
you are correct less than 100.. and thanks for the earmuff over headphone idea, ive heard of that but havent gotten my hands on a pair of ear muffs. will try.

anyone else with ideas? also im checking out the etymonics

i can only find the mc5 but not the 6i..the 6i has a balanced aramature. which are better?
Old 10-06-2011, 04:54 AM
Gold Member

I have the HD280's but I wouldn't recommend them for drumming. They just don't isolate enough. They also don't contain the sound very well, I had the click bleeding into my mics when recording with them. But they may be ok if your playing is on the quiet side. I think the best (cheap) option is some in-ear phones with muffs over top. I have some decent Peltor earmuffs which I love.
Old 10-06-2011, 05:28 AM

kettles i actually tried my friends hd280, which he drums with. i put them on they cancel about the same as the vic firths, which i agree, isnt enough. they hd 280 say they -32 which is more than the claimed -24 on the vic firths.

i have iems that i put dual flage tips on and they all isolate about the same, just as good as the vic firths, but your ears dont get dreadly sweaty like with the cans. dont notice while playing but when done im like my god..

and fuo do you think its worth it to spend so much, do you think they would isolate anymore than regular iems which i had a couple of or better than the vic firths? if youve ever heard them it would be awesome to get an easy answer

maybe just getting earmuffs over iems would be my best bet..it has to be terribly uncomfortable. luckily i have senn cx300ii iems and they are practically flat

Last edited by bmeat; 10-06-2011 at 06:34 AM.
Old 10-06-2011, 04:10 PM
Platinum Member

imo the etymonics are worth it. I can notice REAL difference (like I said in my OP, VF metronome volume = 10, Ety metronome volume=5.5).

but that's with the foam eartips (which are the most isolating choice). the default triple flange eartips are slightly better than the VF, but not much.

I think the 6i's got discontinued or something, I just went to buy THIRD pair (nothing wrong with previous 2, just damn cats chewed through cords while I was away), and I couldn't find them either, so I got the mf5's instead. They appear to be more or less the same thing... Only thing I noticed is that the mf5 cord is 1-2 ft shorter :(
Old 10-06-2011, 05:19 PM

fuo, appologizes i didnt read that you had the vic firth phones already, and okay thats perfect. i may invest in them. do you think just getting some comply foam tips for my iems i already have would give me the same isolation as the Etymonics?
Old 10-06-2011, 05:42 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmeat View Post
fuo, appologizes i didnt read that you had the vic firth phones already, and okay thats perfect. i may invest in them. do you think just getting some comply foam tips for my iems i already have would give me the same isolation as the Etymonics?
if foam eartips are available for your current earphones, then yea... I can't imagine why they wouldn't isolate as well... and it should be very cheap to try and see, foam eartips should be cheap (etymonics replacements are $15 for a 5-pair pack).
Old 10-06-2011, 07:42 PM

thanks a bunch man, i may give it a go. dont the jvc marshmellows come with foam tips? think they would do the job?

http://av.jvc.com/product.jsp?modelI...hId=162&page=1
Old 10-07-2011, 12:22 AM
Silver Member

I have some Shure SE115 earbuds which work quite well at isolation when drumming. Quite happy with them.
Old 10-07-2011, 12:25 AM

As a cheap option, heres what I do:

I found a cheap set of in-ears that have decent sound and I use a good pair of sound isolating 'ear-muffs' shop style.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:18 AM

thanks very much guys. i noticed the senn cx300 dont isolate well at all with the dual flange tips. but the backbeat pros and skullcandy inkd do with the dual flage tips. weird why would this be?
Old 10-07-2011, 03:11 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmeat View Post
thanks very much guys. i noticed the senn cx300 dont isolate well at all with the dual flange tips. but the backbeat pros and skullcandy inkd do with the dual flage tips. weird why would this be?
It may be YOU, not the earphones. With earphones like this, the isolation depends mostly on how well they fit and form a seal with your ear canal, the smallest gaps can make a huge difference... So the cx300 probably just don't fit YOU as well as the other two.
Old 10-07-2011, 03:38 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soupy View Post
I have some Shure SE115 earbuds which work quite well at isolation when drumming. Quite happy with them.
+1 to that.

Mine are pink. Hardcore :P
Old 10-07-2011, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuo View Post
It may be YOU, not the earphones. With earphones like this, the isolation depends mostly on how well they fit and form a seal with your ear canal, the smallest gaps can make a huge difference... So the cx300 probably just don't fit YOU as well as the other two.
well the problem is that they dont sink in the ear canal like the other ones that look like torpedos do. these kind of sit at the outter edge and create a seal, which is more than sufficent for everyday isolation like stopping the blaring music at the gym, but not so much for drumming. wish i would of thought of this before purchase.

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=cx+30...1t:429,r:1,s:0

and i know you said you had to put your metronome to 10+ versus ~5 with the shures/etyomic. question is i understand you need to make the vic firths louder, but they arent directly against your eardrum, so doesnt it equal out kind of?

what im asking is at what point are they too loud? i have to put my laptop to about 50/100 with the vic firth phones, when normally if just sitting in my quiet room id have iems at about 9-12/100. with the stock apple earbuds, i listen to around 10-15. what do you think?

Last edited by bmeat; 10-07-2011 at 06:27 PM.
Old 10-08-2011, 02:30 AM

will iems even fit under muffs?
Old 10-08-2011, 03:33 PM
Silver Member

I have a pair of CX300s as well, and with the bullet plugs, they worked pretty decently. Need the small ones to fit my ears comfortably, tho. The foam plugs on my SE115s do a better job tho... Almost block too much sound.

Also, you can not compare volume levels on different headphones directly. Different phones have different levels of sensitivity and will require more or less power to make the exact same level of sound.

Netz, Amazon has the pink SE115s for $39, I might have to get a pair.
Old 10-08-2011, 03:58 PM

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...3GKXM8VP67J7Q9

these? i may just get them becuase i spent 40 on my cx300 anyway
Old 10-09-2011, 01:31 AM
Silver Member

Yep, those. One of the sellers lists them for $39. Just ordered a pair, my drums in th basement don't care about the color, and I paid more like $110 for the pair I have... And was very happy with them at that price.
Old 10-09-2011, 02:20 AM

very good, i dont care about color regardless. you think they would isolate better than the backbeat pros (superfi4s)
or other cheap ultimate ear like ultimate ear 100 or 200. if they do just as good as job it would save me some money. they all claim to isolate a lot, like 26db cant decide which to get.

also another question, the shures -32db rating, thats probably only with the foam tips right? and do they go deep in your ear unlikes sennhesiers or sonys?

Last edited by bmeat; 10-09-2011 at 02:41 AM.