DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 09-27-2011, 08:24 PM

Default Thrones: DW 5100 or Mapex T750A?

Greetings rhythm heads!

I'm in the process of buying a new throne as my current Yamaha DS840 has finally broken my last nerve. I am sick of the way the securing bolt at the bottom of the thread always becomes loose and the throne becomes unstable. I've been doing my research and I think I'm down to buying either a DW 5100 or a Mapex T750A. I know people always say you shouldn't scrimp on buying a new throne but I don't really want to spend over 100 for a roc n soc or pork pie.

I do a lot of double bass work and play in a prog metal band so usually end up playing long songs/sets. Comfort is a really important issue for me as loss of blood to my legs kills my ability a lot (another issue with my current yamaha throne). I'm also a bit distrusting of the securing bolt thing the DW has due to my experience in the past with this issue. That's the only reason I'm veering towards the Mapex as it has a different securing system. My only issues is that I have no experience with this type of lock that the Mapex has. Would really appreciate some opinions on said thrones. I sit quite high up compared to most other drummers and am 5'6" and around 200lbs. I'm certainly not a skinny fella but not huge either. I'm very happy with the round top rather than the other types of design.

The best prices I've found so far are around 85 for the DW and 77 for the Mapex. I'm veering towards the Mapex due to it's very comfortable looking seat.

Cheers in advance!

DW:

Mapex:
Old 09-27-2011, 09:16 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Default Re: Thrones: DW 5100 or Mapex T750A?

I don't see what the holdup is, you like the Mapex, it's in your price range, it's not rocket surgery. Go get one. They look just as sturdy as a Roc n Soc, although it's beyond me why you wouldn't pony up a few extra bucks for a throne that will last you the rest of your life. Some things you just don't skimp on, although the Mapex looks plenty sturdy. As far as the different securing system, it's a spindle system w/ a mem lock. That's no different than the others. I used to have a hydraulic, and I liked it, but when the gas cylinder failed at a gig, that's unacceptable, so I went to a spindle, and haven't had a problem since.
Old 09-27-2011, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
I don't see what the holdup is, you like the Mapex, it's in your price range, it's not rocket surgery. Go get one. They look just as sturdy as a Roc n Soc, although it's beyond me why you wouldn't pony up a few extra bucks for a throne that will last you the rest of your life. Some things you just don't skimp on, although the Mapex looks plenty sturdy. As far as the different securing system, it's a spindle system w/ a mem lock. That's no different than the others. I used to have a hydraulic, and I liked it, but when the gas cylinder failed at a gig, that's unacceptable, so I went to a spindle, and haven't had a problem since.
I appreciate what you're saying. I think I'm just searching for reassurance. I mainly wanted to see if anyone had had a bad experience with Mapex thrones or anything of the sort and in that case I'd go for the DW, putting aside my doubts. I found one thread where it was saying the Mapex's don't always stay straight when secured into place. I assumed if this was a well known issue, some people may chime in saying so.

I don't want to spend a third of the price extra for a Roc n Soc simply because I can't afford it and need an immediate change (I've recently bought a new kit and a new cymbal which cost me a fair bit). The Yamaha throne is an utter pain.

The locking systems also seem to be quite different. The DW's screw in clamp thing is on the memory lock, which is on the spindle. The Mapex seems to have a screw in clamp thing on the base of the throne and then it has a separate memory lock. I assume these two systems will work differently.

I'm also assuming the DW will be built better, but it has the same memory lock/screw in combined system my Yamaha throne has, which is bloody awful. Maybe it's only a Yamaha issue though?

edit: also, the Mapex looks more comfortable but I understand DW use high quality stuff in their products so I'm concerned it's a matter of more isn't necessarily better.
Old 09-28-2011, 01:10 AM
audiotech

I never sat on a Mapex throne, but I do own the DW 5100 and like it a lot. By the way the Mapex looks in the picture, it does seem that the memory lock is tightened by a drum key. I don't believe I'd like that method.

Dennis
Old 09-29-2011, 02:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotech View Post
I never sat on a Mapex throne, but I do own the DW 5100 and like it a lot. By the way the Mapex looks in the picture, it does seem that the memory lock is tightened by a drum key. I don't believe I'd like that method.

Dennis
Cheers for pointing that out to me. I actually quite like that it has said memory lock, I keep a key on me at all times (one in my pedals and one on my house/car keys) and it seems like it'd hold it in place well.

I bought the Mapex throne today. I'll be sure to let you know if it's a p.o.s.
Old 10-03-2011, 03:42 PM

I know this is too late, but have the mapex and find the point where the seat meets the post loosens and wobbles. It tweeks my back when I play...
Old 10-03-2011, 09:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich0 View Post
I do a lot of double bass work and play in a prog metal band so usually end up playing long songs/sets. Comfort is a really important issue for me as loss of blood to my legs kills my ability a lot

... I know people always say you shouldn't scrimp on buying a new throne but I don't really want to spend over 100 for a roc n soc or pork pie.
You want a good throne to protect your body, but you don't want to spend a lot? Your body is the most important part of your set. Fortunately, the best quality, most expensive throne costs much less than the best-quality, most expensive ride cymbal.

Don't be cheap with your health! You already used a poor throne much longer than you should have. Isn't that savings enough?

I am heavy and I have used the same Roc-N-Soc gas throne for 16 years now and it has never, ever let me down. For the ultimate in comfort, I'd suggest a gas shock throne. They aren't cheap, but neither is paid medication or getting permanently hurt.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:28 AM
Platinum Member

Check the dimensions, i believe the 5100 is under 15" round, depending on the size of your dumper, you might want a bigger seat. I don't know anything about the MAPEX, it looks good.

I do know the 5100 and its a solid little throne, recommended if it fits.
Old 10-05-2011, 02:52 AM
Silver Member

If you're have issues with blood loss in the legs, maybe you should be looking for a bicycle seat throne.look at any Gibraltars?
Old 10-05-2011, 05:23 AM
Gold Member

I have a SONOR 400 throne that has the same problem as your Yammie. Really sucks, been wanting to replace it since I got it pretty much. What surprises me is that it's a very nicely built throne otherwise, it's just the nut comes loose so easily.

Fox.
Old 10-09-2011, 08:50 AM

Big Dog F002. http://www.gak.co.uk/en/big-dog-f002...d-throne/30152
I was looking for a new throne recently, I'm 99.9% sure the two you mentioned were in the ones I looked at.

My criteria were: round, light, comfortable. Big Dog does the job.