DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Technique

Drum Technique Tips - Tricks - Practice - Rudiments - Educational DVDs & Books.....

Old 09-18-2011, 12:03 AM

Default Sight Reading!

I am a drummer with basic reading knowledge. I can transcribe and and can play most beats I see and hear. But as far as sight reading charts goes I could use help. I find sight reading charts not necessarily difficult but hard to improve upon. If ANYBODY has had this problem and has conquered it than please give me some advice! What books or combination of books out there will help me get good at reading charts? What situations can I put myself in to become a better reader? Any bit of advice will help! Thank you!
Old 09-18-2011, 12:10 AM
Gold Member

Default Re: Sight Reading!

Are you in any sort of school concert or jazz band? Sight reading should improve if you are in one.

Try to find drum charts for songs whether it be free online or the AC?DC drum music book for example.

Get some charts you have never seen or heard before and try to play along to a recording.

Similarly, you can find written out snare solos or drum set solos/groove on the internet or in books and try to sight read those.
Old 09-18-2011, 05:56 PM

Sight reading is all about developing your vocabulary. Most people don't realize reading a book for pleasure is just as much sight reading as reading a jazz chart. The reason we're great at reading books and forum posts is because we've developed an understanding of the ingredients of the language. There's a good chance you've been reading English for your whole life and that;s why you're good at it, the very same principle goes fro SRing music.

A few books that are great at developing your reading vocabulary are:

The Art of Bop Drumming - Riley
Syncopation - Reed
New Breed - Chester

Putting that vocabulary to use is the challenge, there are a lot of big band minus drummer books out there. There are only so many combinations available in a space of time, learning those combination to the point where you look at them and know exactly what they are and how to execute them will do a world for your sight reading.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:19 PM
Platinum Member

There's been a few threads about this over the years. Get searching!