DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 09-16-2011, 01:22 PM

Default Is Roland KD-85BK Bass drum pad compatible with Yamaha DTX500 module?

As the title says, I need to know if Roland KD-85BK Bass drum pad is compatible with Yamaha DTX500 module? Has anyone tried this?
Old 09-16-2011, 06:02 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Is Roland KD-85BK Bass drum pad compatible with Yamaha DTX500 module?

Are you wanting the kd-85bk because it's a mesh head drum..you could also consider the original yamaha RHP dtxtreme kick pad (kp-120)...it came with a real drum head, but you can put mesh on it...aesthetically speaking it's one of the nicest looking e-kicks out there..and you can still find them on ebay from time-to-time..and it will work on your yamaha module...the kd-85bk probably will too, but I haven't tried it so I can't say for sure...

Last edited by scorch whammin; 09-16-2011 at 07:21 PM.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:53 PM

Default Re: Is Roland KD-85BK Bass drum pad compatible with Yamaha DTX500 module?

Yes, it should work just fine. If you can wait, I'll try it out tomorrow and give you the news. I have tried swapping many kick triggers with various models/brands (ie: Roland w/Yamaha and vise-verse, Alesis w/Roland, etc) and they all seem to work just fine. The only time you run into a problem is with cymbals, especially Hi-Hat systems. Some of the multi-zone pads require a stereo imput and cable, so if you try to plug a multi-zone pad/cymbal into a mono input, it obviously isn't going to work.

A side note on the KD-85K: WAY better than the older, rubber, KD-85. It doesn't "dent-in" as easily, and feels a bit more authentic. In my humblest opinion, stay away from Yamaha kick pads....they suck and wear out quickly. (which may be the reason you're changing yours ???) Just remember to NOT use a FELT beater on the mesh pads. The felt is like sandpaper to the mesh and will create excess wear and tear on your kick tower. Plastic and/or wood is okay.

Best regards,
-J
Old 09-16-2011, 10:18 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyJ View Post
In my humblest opinion, stay away from Yamaha kick pads....they suck and wear out quickly.
Well let's see...my kp-120 is going on 10 yrs. old..no issues never has been..works/triggers great...I also know people who've owned kits with kp-65 with good results..so I have to disagree with that statement..
Old 09-16-2011, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorch whammin View Post
Well let's see...my kp-120 is going on 10 yrs. old..no issues never has been..works/triggers great...I also know people who've owned kits with kp-65 with good results..so I have to disagree with that statement..
That's fine....I can only comment on the experiences that I've had and of all those I have helped in the last 10 years or so.

Again, that is my humblest opinion. ;)
Old 09-17-2011, 12:17 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
That's fine....I can only comment on the experiences that I've had and of all those I have helped in the last 10 years or so.

Yea no hard feelings..I just had to take exception to your comment...:)
Old 12-29-2011, 11:45 PM
Gold Member

Quote:

And how many of the kick pads in total where that? ;)

Its good to give a personal preference but it does't do any rightful justice to the thousand and thousand pads that are made properly to say that all the kick pads are rubbish.

The only real problem was with some (yes some) of the KP125 (on witch the head worned out quickly IF one didn't used a patch like on a real kick)