DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 09-16-2011, 03:40 AM
Gold Member

Default Has any particular DOUBLE PEDAL let you down or disappointed you?

OK double - pedal folks, rather than ask what you think the "Best Pedal" is, please tell me if a specific double pedal has dissapointed you?

There is so much hype behind the DW 9000's, Cobra's, Axis', Elim's, etc... and I'm sure they'er damn good pedals to each player.

I've heard things like the slave has too much play, or the U joints are sloppy. I'd like to hear first hand from you all what you've experienced.

Again...thanks in advance!
Old 09-16-2011, 06:40 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Has any particular DOUBLE PEDAL let you down or disappointed you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDinSD View Post
.... please tell me if a specific double pedal has dissapointed you? ....
No pedal has ever "disappointed" me, because I'll play every pedal I can get my feet on ... and then make an "informed" decision about which one to "splash the cash on" ...
Buying a pedal "blindly" is setting yourself up for a "disappointment" big time.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:15 AM
Gold Member

i disliked the beater on a dw9000 - and that you couldn't really make the beater hit very high on a drum. but it works for this pedal

i dislike the feel of an eliminator. (full stop)

i dislike the fact you have a lack of power on axis/trick pedals....

that's just me though.... other people will disagree... form your own opinions by playing these pedals.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:37 AM
Gold Member

The only one I've played (of high quality) that I really have not liked at all was the pearl eliminator.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:03 AM

Axis double pedals are pretty much the easiest pedals to play fast on because they are super smooth. Great for metal. But they are waaay too soft and it lacks power (not a problem if you use triggers??) as someone here also said, which makes it easy to play VERY sloppy. The footboards on some of Axis pedals are very uncomfortable to play on with bear feet because they have etched in the Axis logo onto the footboard (it can scratch your feet).

I've seen some pretty bad pictures of DW9000's where the footboard has broken completely in half dew to hard playing. You can also tell with the DW9000's that they were designed by an engineer, not a drummer, because all the adjustments you can make are really unnecessary and the important parts of the pedal that you need to get to are hard to use.

Iron Cobras are a very good choice for mid-high priced double pedals. They are really smooth and reliable. I havn't heard any bad stories about these pedals. But when trying them out at my local drum shop i didnt really like them. The slave pedal lags a bit because of the drive shaft and it slides along the ground as it has no grip spikes. I played these pedals a while ago and since then Tama has released the "new" Iron Cobras which have a few upgrades. I may have to check them out.

I have pearl Demon Drives and they are awesome! smoothest pedal ever and super fast. Not to mention it can convert to longboard/shortboard, convert to two single pedals, adjust the cam position, the no-play Z-link, adjustable direct link position, beater height adjustment with memory locks....... I could write a whole page about the Demon Drives and how they are AMAZING. GO PEARL!
Old 09-17-2011, 10:27 AM

One of my sonic hammer beaters snapped in two during a studio session. And the shaft/linkage seems a bit too restricted. But I bought the pedal used so I don't know if these are common issues with axis pedals or if the previous owner just abused it.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hissig Gompen View Post
One of my sonic hammer beaters snapped in two during a studio session. And the shaft/linkage seems a bit too restricted. But I bought the pedal used so I don't know if these are common issues with axis pedals or if the previous owner just abused it.
can you link me to a page of what sonic hammer beaters are? ive never heard of them
Old 09-17-2011, 11:07 AM

It's the beater that comes as standard on some of the Axis pedals. Mine snapped where the two parts meet. Never heard back from axis support (which in itself is troubling) so I used the beater rod from an old pedal to replace the broken one.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hissig Gompen View Post

It's the beater that comes as standard on some of the Axis pedals. Mine snapped where the two parts meet. Never heard back from axis support (which in itself is troubling) so I used the beater rod from an old pedal to replace the broken one.
oh, those. Were they good before you broke them?
Old 09-17-2011, 11:43 AM

Don't really like them, I prefer normal beaters. But using normal beaters with the axis pedals introduces new issues with footboard angles so I kept the hammers.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:00 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshthedrumkid97 View Post
I've seen some pretty bad pictures of DW9000's where the footboard has broken completely in half dew to hard playing. You can also tell with the DW9000's that they were designed by an engineer, not a drummer, because all the adjustments you can make are really unnecessary and the important parts of the pedal that you need to get to are hard to use.

Iron Cobras are a very good choice for mid-high priced double pedals. They are really smooth and reliable. I havn't heard any bad stories about these pedals. But when trying them out at my local drum shop i didnt really like them. The slave pedal lags a bit because of the drive shaft and it slides along the ground as it has no grip spikes. I played these pedals a while ago and since then Tama has released the "new" Iron Cobras which have a few upgrades. I may have to check them out.
That's odd. My Iron Cobra double pedal, which is now a few years old, has grip spikes on the slave pedal, or did you mean something else?

Also - I heard that thing about the DW pedal snapping was a hoax, but who knows - it's all millionth hand information so unless you know someone it happened to or it happened to yourself it's hard to verify these claims.
Old 09-17-2011, 12:19 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Axis double pedals are pretty much the easiest pedals to play fast on because they are super smooth. Great for metal. But they are waaay too soft and it lacks power (not a problem if you use triggers??) as someone here also said, which makes it easy to play VERY sloppy. (...).
Let's agree that - with ANY pedal, this basically depends on the player. Bad pedal = great punch = can be done if you're up to it. Best pedal ever = sloppy = no punch = no prob if the player sucks. Derek Roddy and lots of others must do something completely different than you because they _can_ get the desired power out of them. I have no vast experience with double pedals, I've played about 6 until now and I'm sure you can get adjusted to any pedal which isn't crappy production. I also learned that the price doesn't directly translate to whether the pedal is 'good' or 'bad'.

Quote:
I have pearl Demon Drives and they are awesome! smoothest pedal ever and super fast. (...)[
I tried them once and had major difficulties BECAUSE of that smoothness - IMO that's on the verge of cheating - do you want your feet to play the pedal or the pedal to almost play by itself? Also, to me the Demon Drive didn't feel punchy/powerful. Maybe I'd need more time to get them going for me.

The Derek Roddy forum has many users with lots of experience e.g. with Axis pedals. You could post there to find out specific things/problems/problem solving solutions etc.
http://www.derekroddy.com/forum/view...1dc7f96980c281
Old 09-17-2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky View Post
Let's agree that - with ANY pedal, this basically depends on the player. Bad pedal = great punch = can be done if you're up to it. Best pedal ever = sloppy = no punch = no prob if the player sucks. Derek Roddy and lots of others must do something completely different than you because they _can_ get the desired power out of them. I have no vast experience with double pedals, I've played about 6 until now and I'm sure you can get adjusted to any pedal which isn't crappy production. I also learned that the price doesn't directly translate to whether the pedal is 'good' or 'bad'.

I tried them once and had major difficulties BECAUSE of that smoothness - IMO that's on the verge of cheating - do you want your feet to play the pedal or the pedal to almost play by itself? Also, to me the Demon Drive didn't feel punchy/powerful. Maybe I'd need more time to get them going for me.

The Derek Roddy forum has many users with lots of experience e.g. with Axis pedals. You could post there to find out specific things/problems/problem solving solutions etc.
http://www.derekroddy.com/forum/view...1dc7f96980c281
Yes, I agree. You can get used to any pedal if you give it time.
I had the same problem with the demon drives. when i first tried them in the shop i didnt like them but over time after buying them ive gotten used to them and i love them. I decided to buy them because Ben Gordon from parkway drive uses them, but more importantly, George Kollias - arguably the fast double pedal extreme metal drummer in the world, told me in person that the Demon Drives are a whole new level of double pedals. He uses Axis pedals himself. About the power/punch - i find them very powerful, and a lot louder than most pedals. I think its the beaters, i did some comparisons with other beaters and the Demon Drive beaters had the most attack and volume.

I dont think the smoothness is cheating - it just means the pedals react faster to your feet. It gives you more control over the sound you are getting out of your bass drum. And unless some how the pedal is mechanized to play itself, you cant possibly say that its cheating and that it "plays it self".

thanks for the reply :)
Old 09-17-2011, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post
That's odd. My Iron Cobra double pedal, which is now a few years old, has grip spikes on the slave pedal, or did you mean something else?

Also - I heard that thing about the DW pedal snapping was a hoax, but who knows - it's all millionth hand information so unless you know someone it happened to or it happened to yourself it's hard to verify these claims.
Oh well, maybe the place i used them at lost them or something lol. But i definitely remember not seeing any spikes on the bass plate.

On a thread I saw about 5 pictures of different people with DW9000 footboards that had snapped in half. Have you seen that thread?
Old 09-17-2011, 01:33 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yes, I agree. You can get used to any pedal if you give it time.
I had the same problem with the demon drives. when i first tried them in the shop i didnt like them but over time after buying them ive gotten used to them and i love them. I decided to buy them because Ben Gordon from parkway drive uses them, but more importantly, George Kollias - arguably the fast double pedal extreme metal drummer in the world, told me in person that the Demon Drives are a whole new level of double pedals. He uses Axis pedals himself. About the power/punch - i find them very powerful, and a lot louder than most pedals. I think its the beaters, i did some comparisons with other beaters and the Demon Drive beaters had the most attack and volume.

I dont think the smoothness is cheating - it just means the pedals react faster to your feet. It gives you more control over the sound you are getting out of your bass drum. And unless some how the pedal is mechanized to play itself, you cant possibly say that its cheating and that it "plays it self".

thanks for the reply :)
Cool to learn we have some common ground. -- Yes, exchanging/experimenting with the beaters is a quick fix (or adaption to one's preference) on many pedals which are great per se but feel 'not quite right' with their stock beaters.

With "plays by itself" was referring to the enormous degree of smoothness of the Demon Drive and that you could hit it hard R-L and then lean back and count the rebounds ;-)
Old 09-17-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky View Post
Cool to learn we have some common ground. -- Yes, exchanging/experimenting with the beaters is a quick fix (or adaption to one's preference) on many pedals which are great per se but feel 'not quite right' with their stock beaters.

With "plays by itself" was referring to the enormous degree of smoothness of the Demon Drive and that you could hit it hard R-L and then lean back and count the rebounds ;-)
oh i see what you mean now
Old 09-17-2011, 02:25 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
On a thread I saw about 5 pictures of different people with DW9000 footboards that had snapped in half. Have you seen that thread?
those were DW5000 pedals... they went through about 5 or 6 different heel plate changes.... they were just a weak link to the pedal, they're strong pedals now..
Old 09-17-2011, 04:03 PM
sticks4drums

I have a 20 year old 5000 that still works great. The only foot board I ever had trouble with was a used premier pedal that would bend in the middle all the time and you would have to straighten it.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:23 PM

I bought the DW 9000 and ended up returning them after one gig. But before I returned them I put them side by side with my ten year old single chain DW 5000's and saw what my problem was. Very simply, there was much more metal to move on a 9000 than my old 5000. So while the 9000 was truly a bit smoother, it was very noticeably SLOWER and just sluggish in comparison with my 5000, which had finger touch sensitivity.

I should also mention that the reason I bought the 9000 was because I thought it might be a good idea to replace my old pedal with something newer because it was over ten years old and I could finally afford to get a new set of pedals. Word to the wise on Bass drum pedals: if you have a feel and setup that you like,and it ain't broke,don't try to fix it.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:03 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ambientgreg View Post
I bought the DW 9000 and ended up returning them after one gig. But before I returned them I put them side by side with my ten year old single chain DW 5000's and saw what my problem was. Very simply, there was much more metal to move on a 9000 than my old 5000. So while the 9000 was truly a bit smoother, it was very noticeably SLOWER and just sluggish in comparison with my 5000, which had finger touch sensitivity.

I should also mention that the reason I bought the 9000 was because I thought it might be a good idea to replace my old pedal with something newer because it was over ten years old and I could finally afford to get a new set of pedals. Word to the wise on Bass drum pedals: if you have a feel and setup that you like,and it ain't broke,don't try to fix it.
Did you notice it was sluggish on the slave pedal assembly? Universal joint?

Yeah - definitely not good at $579!

Wonder if the new 5000 doubles are solid?
Old 09-22-2011, 08:18 PM

Tama SC double let me down big time. Tamas taking care of me as Tama should, my pedals are under warranty. I'm afraid the sales pitch about there bearings not being pressed is worthless. The 2 screws and cheap alloy housing there using instead is leading to problems. I'm very easy on all my gear and in the 29 years I've been studying music as a drummer, this is my first pedal malfunction.
Old 09-22-2011, 08:34 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmoo View Post
Tama SC double let me down big time. Tamas taking care of me as Tama should, my pedals are under warranty. I'm afraid the sales pitch about there bearings not being pressed is worthless. The 2 screws and cheap alloy housing there using instead is leading to problems. I'm very easy on all my gear and in the 29 years I've been studying music as a drummer, this is my first pedal malfunction.
Thanks, these were on my research list too...
Old 09-26-2011, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniin View Post
those were DW5000 pedals... they went through about 5 or 6 different heel plate changes.... they were just a weak link to the pedal, they're strong pedals now..
Oh ok. I was getting pretty curious about the pedals breaking because I played a 9000 double for a couple years and that thing was solid. I loved it and had no problems with it.

But... if things go according to plan... I'll have my dream pedal within the next two weeks.. muwhahahaha!
Old 09-26-2011, 09:49 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted T View Post
Oh ok. I was getting pretty curious about the pedals breaking because I played a 9000 double for a couple years and that thing was solid. I loved it and had no problems with it.

But... if things go according to plan... I'll have my dream pedal within the next two weeks.. muwhahahaha!
Ah...Whacha getting?
Old 09-27-2011, 07:14 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sonor-Giant-...item20bd03cd5f

Nothing anymore...

Just have to keep saving up for a brand new Giant Step Twin Effect.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:39 PM

I personally believe the Axis A longboards are a huge let down. Not only are they expensive, but the slave pedal is no easier to play compared to my previous dw 5000 or iron cobra's. You have to use different allen keys of different sizes to make adjustments, and "to me" it doesn't feel all that different from my old dw pedals. The difference in price, again this is my opinion, doesn't justify itself.
Old 11-04-2011, 11:47 PM

Also, the design of the clamp that connects the pedal to the bass drum is not what you would expect from a company who's priority is "precision engineering", or a pedal that costs $600!!! My first thought when looking at it while about to connect to my bass drum was "Ehhh, yea this clamp doesn't look like it's going to work all to well". And sure enough I have problems with the pedal staying hooked, especially with it cranked down as tight as I can get it.
Old 11-05-2011, 05:47 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcKDrUmm3R View Post
Also, the design of the clamp that connects the pedal to the bass drum is not what you would expect from a company who's priority is "precision engineering", or a pedal that costs $600!!! My first thought when looking at it while about to connect to my bass drum was "Ehhh, yea this clamp doesn't look like it's going to work all to well". And sure enough I have problems with the pedal staying hooked, especially with it cranked down as tight as I can get it.
I always wanted the AXIS A Longboards. I know folks out there swear by them. I'm sure it's personal preference, or perhaps drummers just want to stick with that big investment already spent. They sure look awesome though..but have read some neg feedback.

I went with the TRICK Dominator double pedals. Same incredible technology, material as the TRICK Bigfoots, but a few bucks cheaper (try $250). All their pedals are insane and fricken smooth with ultra response.

Yeah, they have a funky pedal clamp too, that almost stopped me from purchasing. I got the 2 pedals (yes - 2) and attached Master to the BD. Snug, tight. I really dig the compression spring technology. Reach down with 1 hand and turn between songs even. Extremely sensitive slave with ultra responsive U-joint shaft.

I guess it just happenned to fit with me...
Old 11-07-2011, 07:50 PM

just my .02 here....

The Pearl Demon Drive REALLY disappointed me when I played it. It felt uncontrollable under my feet. Just way too loose in general. The rebound, the stroke, everything. Maybe it was because I couldnt tinker with it to get the right feeling out of it. I dont know. I tried to play it 3 different times at 3 different places, and I left all 3 places feeling the same way, excited about something, then disappointed to find out it wasnt worth the hype.

I wont own a DW pedal ever. I saw the drummer of a band I share a room with replace both of the footboards on his 5002 accelerator. Im a big dude(6'2" 330lbs.) and I just dont like owning something that costs over 300 bucks and have to replace parts that arent supposed to break.

I have been playing a Gibraltar ROCK double pedal for the past 9 years, and it hasnt let me down once. I just ran into one used at my local shop and that one was still selling for $89. I payed a shade over $140 for mine 9 years ago. A good investment on my part, Id say.
Old 11-17-2011, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blastbeatkeeper View Post
just my .02 here....
I wont own a DW pedal ever. I saw the drummer of a band I share a room with replace both of the footboards on his 5002 accelerator. Im a big dude(6'2" 330lbs.) and I just dont like owning something that costs over 300 bucks and have to replace parts that arent supposed to break.
Idk man I had the dw 5000 for a long time, never took care of it and it was very durable. Im def not 6'2" 330lbs, but I def lay into the pedals and they hold up well.