DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 09-13-2011, 12:21 AM

Default If I Only Had A Brain

I'm looking into drum brain modules and have decided to cut the crap and ask YOU directly. What I'm looking for is a brain that I can add my own drum sounds/customize my set (not the preloaded sounds to modify). All don't seem to have USB ports so I'll have to look into a MIDI interface, but with the drum sounds I create on a program, I'd like to transfer over and trigger with the set. I could use all and any advice, suggestions and information. Thanks.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:18 AM

Default Re: If I Only Had A Brain

You could check out the Alesis Trigger iO. It doesn't allow you to sample but it allows you to connect your pads up and use the USB or Midi from it.
Old 09-13-2011, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertTheDrummer View Post
You could check out the Alesis Trigger iO. It doesn't allow you to sample but it allows you to connect your pads up and use the USB or Midi from it.
Thank you for the suggestion. As I'm looking more into this, it's getting closer to what I'm trying to find. The price I can agree with and could satisfy in the mean time.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:24 PM

The only module that you can directly load samples into is the Yamaha Extreme II and IIIs. They have a USB port and can directly sample incoming sounds and save them directly within the unit. The module contains 14 or ports so having enough trigger inputs shouldn't be a problem. The module also contains a digital out as well as many stereo trigger inputs for duel-triggering capability.

I've seen a Yamaha rep sample Led Zeppelin's "whole lotta love" into the module,(sampled various part of the song and assigned them to various pads), then I literally watched him play the entire song, beginning to end. (including samples of John Bonham's kit) It was the most impressive thing I've seen in a while! :D
Old 09-17-2011, 10:29 AM

I'd get a megadrum (same principle as the triggerIO but more inputs and more configurable) and then use a laptop and software to generate the actual sound.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:37 AM

Roland has a very large variety of monitors
Old 09-20-2011, 08:00 PM

Good suggestions. The Yamaha is more along the lines I'm looking for but the price is an obvious kick in the balls and the DIY megadrum is definitely a garage project I might get into at some point later. Another thing I found was the Roland SPD-S, which is falling a bit closer; but more of a drum trigger pad than a simple module, yet comes with a couple extra inputs for external pads. Thanks again for the suggestions; it's beginning to narrow it all down.
Old 09-20-2011, 08:04 PM

btw, you can get the megadrum guy to build one for you. I bought the smallest one (I think it has ten stereo inputs but not sure - I don't have it in front of me), paid with paypal and he shipped it pretty fast.

Edit: it looks pretty ghetto, cheap looking plastic box etc, but it works perfectly. It's much more fine-tunable than the TD-6 I had before.
Old 11-08-2011, 11:01 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hissig Gompen View Post
I'd get a megadrum (same principle as the triggerIO but more inputs and more configurable) and then use a laptop and software to generate the actual sound.
You'll also need a zero latency audio interface if you want to play in real time and hear the sounds. I used a Presonus Firebox with my i/o and pc based system running toontrack samples and it was excellent with no perceptable lag.

Iain