DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 09-12-2011, 10:59 PM
Platinum Member

Default Camco is back!

I still have mine from 1983! http://www.tamadrum.co.jp/usa/news/p...mco/index.html
Old 09-13-2011, 12:06 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Camco is back!

Priced at $130. Ouch
Old 09-13-2011, 01:02 AM
Platinum Member

It looks a lot like my new Sonor pedal. $49.95
The Sonor has a solid bottom.
http://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/...rum-Pedal.html
Old 09-13-2011, 01:08 AM
Silver Member

Expensive yes but it gets you access to the super secret web site.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:11 AM
Platinum Member

A few years ago Ludwig re-introduced the Speed King for about $120.00
They said that it was new and improved. It looked and played the same as the original to me!
It certainly wasn't worth $120.00.
Old 09-13-2011, 01:34 AM
Platinum Member

"First introduced 30 years ago..."

Okay, so it's not the GOOD Camco, but the crappy, post-1977 Camco. I'll pass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdadruma View Post
A few years ago Ludwig re-introduced the Speed King for about $120.00
They said that it was new and improved. It looked and played the same as the original to me!
It certainly wasn't worth $120.00.
Yeah, reintroducing older products is a cool thing when the original product was good. Some people swear by the old Speed Kings, but I never liked them. The "new and improved" claim was a bad move, because the reissues were so similar to the original that people wanting to buy them because of the "new and improved"-ness were disappointed, and the people who liked the originals didn't buy the new ones because of the "new and improved"-ness.

However, their reissues of the flat-based stands are SOFA KING cool! AND cheap!

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 09-13-2011, 03:02 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddywumpus View Post
Yeah, reintroducing older products is a cool thing when the original product was good. Some people swear by the old Speed Kings, but I never liked them. The "new and improved" claim was a bad move, because the reissues were so similar to the original that people wanting to buy them because of the "new and improved"-ness were disappointed, and the people who liked the originals didn't buy the new ones because of the "new and improved"-ness.
Reissuing a product is a two edged sword.
I played a Speed King for about 30 years.
I saw the new Speed king in a shop a few years ago and I hooked it up to a bass drum.
It was exactly the same as I remember it being.
It wasn't bad, It wasn't great, It was just the same!
I wasn't going to buy it again, I had already moved on to different things.

I think that there will be few buyers for this Camco pedal.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:49 AM
Platinum Member

You're probably right Bob, had I noticed the price I probably would not have been excited enough to even start this thread. But I guess when I saw my very first pedal being reintroduced .. well most of us here know how we can get attached to gear for sentimental reasons.

While I got you guys, I was wondering about the "Ghost' pedal from Ludwig. I never owned or played on one. Were they any good? http://www.billyrhythm.com/drums/ghost/ludwigghost.html
Old 09-13-2011, 04:53 AM
Platinum Member

The Ghost was weird, I passed it up to buy the Speed King In the mid 70's.
Old 09-13-2011, 08:15 AM
Platinum Member

I've played on a few Ghosts. Smooth pedal. It's pretty weird because it works counter-efficiently. Let me try to explain:

You know how modern pedals give you that extra "throw" at the end of the cam? That extra little "oomph!" during the last 15-20 of the beater's path? That's what the Speed King is missing...it gives you just what you put into it, and nothing more. If you've been raised on modern pedals, the Speed King seems ridiculous to play on, because of the direct relation between the effort you put in to the effort the pedal exudes on the drum head. Take it one step further, and imagine that the cam actually "absorbs" some of the throw, or makes it so the beater slows down in the last few degrees of its path. THAT is the action of the Ghost pedal! It's pretty durable, but makes it hard to put any real power into your playing when you need it (or perhaps it allows you more room to finesse your expression...???). I dunno. I've also heard that when the springs break, they're a real pain in the butt to fix...

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 09-13-2011, 10:51 AM
Gold Member

i've been saying camco was coming back since a few months ago. very excited :)
Old 09-13-2011, 01:12 PM
Silver Member

Doesn't DW own all the patents and tooling for everything Camco ever made? DW's pedals have certainly evolved from the original Camco design. Is this just DW trying to cash in by reissuing the original Camco pedal?
Old 09-13-2011, 01:40 PM
Gold Member

dw kept the logo, tama kept the blue prints
Old 09-13-2011, 03:12 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by uniin View Post
dw kept the logo, tama kept the blue prints
So is it Tama that's behind this?
Old 09-13-2011, 03:18 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzrock View Post
So is it Tama that's behind this?
Considering it is Their name on the site, I would say so. :)
Old 09-13-2011, 04:12 PM
Platinum Member

I still like my Camco pedal. I don't use it because I LOVE the Eliminators I have.
The Camco feels good though, and the double pedal was nice because it had 2 springs for the left foot. One spring on the pedal itself, and one on the main section.
It made the two sides feel a lot more even than other pedals did.

It'd be cool if they had gone to a double chain to keep the footboard from swaying though.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Bender View Post
me too !!!!!!!!
:^)
Old 09-13-2011, 08:16 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sticks4drums View Post
Considering it is Their name on the site, I would say so. :)
OK. Now I see it. I have a tendency to not see stuff that's right in front of my face. LOL! I was a little confused about this Tama, Camco, DW thing so I looked it up on Wikipedia. Here's what they had to say.

"In 1977, Drum Workshop (DW) and Hoshino Gakki (the parent company of Tama Drums) jointly purchased Camco's assets. DW would receive Camco's inventory and manufacturing equipment, while Tama would receive the Camco name, the original design blueprints, and engineering rights.

At the time, Camco was producing what was thought to be the best drum pedal on the market. DW continued production of the pedal using the original tooling, rebadging it as the DW5000. Tama began production of the same pedal under the Camco name. The Tama version of the Camco pedal is commonly referred to as the Tamco pedal to distinguish it from an original Camco pedal."

I'm sure most of you already knew that. I thought I'd put that in here for those that did not.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:31 PM
Silver Member

I played the Tama versions for years. I absolutely loved them but pedals have been improved upon. I might get one, simply for nostalgia .
Old 09-16-2011, 12:34 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by caddywumpus View Post
I've played on a few Ghosts. Smooth pedal. It's pretty weird because it works counter-efficiently. Let me try to explain:

You know how modern pedals give you that extra "throw" at the end of the cam? That extra little "oomph!" during the last 15-20 of the beater's path? That's what the Speed King is missing...it gives you just what you put into it, and nothing more. If you've been raised on modern pedals, the Speed King seems ridiculous to play on, because of the direct relation between the effort you put in to the effort the pedal exudes on the drum head. Take it one step further, and imagine that the cam actually "absorbs" some of the throw, or makes it so the beater slows down in the last few degrees of its path. THAT is the action of the Ghost pedal! It's pretty durable, but makes it hard to put any real power into your playing when you need it (or perhaps it allows you more room to finesse your expression...???). I dunno. I've also heard that when the springs break, they're a real pain in the butt to fix...

When the spring on GHOST pedal breaks? That would be somewhat unimaginable, as its a flat coil, compression spring that sees little movement through the pedals cycle.

In a tighter settings that coil spring will also give the your foot noticeable feedback in the form of vibration.

I don't see the benefit to the customer when TAMA brings back the CAMCO complete with all its proven weaknesses- heel plate hinge that will wear out causing the lower teeth on the sprocket to wear resulting is side to side pedal board movement. Also back unimproved are the weak main posts, which collapse inward when the beater makes hard contact with the batter head.

IRON COBRA was a slow fix to these problems, its where TAMA went to get away from the CAMCO's weaknesses, the evolution thereof. What IC lost (or got away from) was the feel the CAMCO produced via weight ratios of the cam, footboard, beater head, you can throw the chain in there too.

A big part of that feel is a light cam, light footboard with a heavier beater. IC crept away from that formulae and to this day still remains in mediocreville, minus CAMCO's weakness of course.
Old 09-20-2011, 02:18 AM
Silver Member

there are good reasons why so many pedals of the past are no longer around or have been vastly improved over the previous versions of years gone by.
Yamaha Stands and Pedals
Old 10-04-2011, 08:06 PM

Used to have a Camco chain drive in the 80's when I was furst playting. Pedal rocked. The Mapex that cam with my Maple Meridians looked very similar in design and was God awful. Either I got that much worse, or Camco made a really simple but excellent product.

Have a Mapex Falcon now, Sweet, smooth and strong, Great response.
Old 10-04-2011, 10:08 PM
Platinum Member

Man, I read the title and thought about Camco DRUMS! Now that would be cool if those drums came back, but they've never really gone away since it's really DW now. Come to think of it, I'd buy a Camco kit though.....

Nothing wrong with this Tama Camco re-issue though - it's basically the same pedal they released in the 80s, which is exactly like the old DW5000, which is the original Camco from before, which is really a modified Gretsch Floating Action, which may have been initially manufactured by Walberg & Auge, who made hardware for everybody back in the day. In fact, mostly all of the new pedals out now feel like the old Camco, from my lowly Tama Iron Cobra Jr., to the DW9000. It's nice for people to have another $130 choice ;)
Old 10-07-2011, 10:50 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Man, I read the title and thought about Camco DRUMS! Now that would be cool if those drums came back, but they've never really gone away since it's really DW now. Come to think of it, I'd buy a Camco kit though.....

Nothing wrong with this Tama Camco re-issue though - it's basically the same pedal they released in the 80s, which is exactly like the old DW5000, which is the original Camco from before, which is really a modified Gretsch Floating Action, which may have been initially manufactured by Walberg & Auge, who made hardware for everybody back in the day. In fact, mostly all of the new pedals out now feel like the old Camco, from my lowly Tama Iron Cobra Jr., to the DW9000. It's nice for people to have another $130 choice ;)
+1 on that Bo.I still have my Tama/Camco and its a very light smooth and fast pedal,and you got the pedigree absolutely correct.I still use my Speedking once in a while.When I was in high school...every drummer I knew played a speedking,and it didn't matter what brand of drums they played.

As far as Camcos,if you have ever played a set of vintage Camco's you will probably say...where have you been all of my life.They are just wonderful sounding drums.DW should have kept using those made to spec Keller shells,and not messed with the bearing edges.Thats where the sound was.They already had those turret lugs,thanks in part to George Way.

More OT.The Tama/Camco is a nice pedal,though a little overpriced,but reliable and well made,as is the IC,but truth is..ALL pedals have their faults..its just comes down to what feels better to you,but for the price point..the IC is pretty serious.

Steve B

Steve B
Old 10-07-2011, 11:34 PM

I had a set of Camco double pedals.. They were smooth and fast! Are they bringing back the double pedal?
Old 10-08-2011, 01:30 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamadrm View Post
As far as Camcos,if you have ever played a set of vintage Camco's you will probably say...where have you been all of my life.They are just wonderful sounding drums.DW should have kept using those made to spec Keller shells,and not messed with the bearing edges.Thats where the sound was.They already had those turret lugs,thanks in part to George Way.
You know an older friend of mine loaned me his old Camcos he bought in 1971 when I was kitless for a few weeks and had a theater gig. I was so tempted to buy those off of him when i was done! I missed my chance. Those older Camcos sounded better to me than the new DWs I got a few years later. They tuned up well, projected, and just felt good all the way around. Too bad it took a $4500 Starclassic Bubinga to get me sorta close to that.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:29 AM
Platinum Member

Vintage pedals were made for quieter playing. Nowadays all pedals are made for
loud and heavy drumming.

Jojo Mayer even said his (special) techniques don't really work on any new pedal
because of that.
Old 10-22-2011, 06:37 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
)
bring back the old Camco kits along with the old Hayman kits...both wonderful sounding drums. almost bought a Hayman kit back in '75, but decided i couldn't afford it at the time.
Yamaha Stands and Pedals