DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 09-11-2011, 09:24 PM
SergiuM's Avatar
SergiuM SergiuM is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 280
Default Tambourines

I'm looking to buy a tambourine, but I'm not sure if i should get one with a head or without.. Can anyone name me a few pro's and cons of both? I would very much appreciate it.
__________________
You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body. -C.S. Lewis
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 09-11-2011, 10:29 PM
Skulmoski's Avatar
Skulmoski Skulmoski is offline
Gold Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Abu Dhabi
Posts: 1,295
Default Re: Tambourines

With a head and play it like a hand held drum including fingering the jingles. The following show the amazing flexibility of the "simple" tambourine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cAshV_fkzK0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lW_H5...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSz5gOgjztM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCmY9...eature=related
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPPBoei6oCs

Another benefit is that this technique lends itself to apartment living! Your neighbours are not likely to hear you play.

GJS
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 09-11-2011, 11:55 PM
SergiuM's Avatar
SergiuM SergiuM is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 280
Default Re: Tambourines

Thank you for the reply Skulmoski. I understand the benefits of the ones with heads, but why do they make them without heads? There must be an advantage to them too.
__________________
You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body. -C.S. Lewis
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 09-12-2011, 01:08 AM
Deathmetalconga's Avatar
Deathmetalconga Deathmetalconga is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 7,225
Default Re: Tambourines

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergiuM View Post
Thank you for the reply Skulmoski. I understand the benefits of the ones with heads, but why do they make them without heads? There must be an advantage to them too.
Ones without heads are easier to hold and move around and are good for mounting to foot percussion pedals. Also there is one less thing to break.

Tambourines can be quite loud, depending on the number of jingles and I know nickel is louder than brass.
__________________
Ironwood kit Tiki kit Openhanders Vids
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-12-2011, 02:36 AM
SergiuM's Avatar
SergiuM SergiuM is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 280
Default Re: Tambourines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
Ones without heads are easier to hold and move around and are good for mounting to foot percussion pedals. Also there is one less thing to break.

Tambourines can be quite loud, depending on the number of jingles and I know nickel is louder than brass.
Interesting. I think i've found one i like, but i was wondering if the mounting bracket can be removed or not (they also have a handheld version of the same model).

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Meinl-AB...24-i1510646.gc
__________________
You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body. -C.S. Lewis
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-12-2011, 09:07 PM
Deathmetalconga's Avatar
Deathmetalconga Deathmetalconga is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 7,225
Default Re: Tambourines

Quote:
Originally Posted by SergiuM View Post
Interesting. I think i've found one i like, but i was wondering if the mounting bracket can be removed or not (they also have a handheld version of the same model).

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Meinl-AB...24-i1510646.gc
That is a neat tamb! Meinl makes great stuff.

In all the mountable tambs I have seen, the mounting bracket cannot be removed, but it looks like this one can. It appears to be a handheld tamb with a mounting bracket bolted to it. I think you can remove it with a wrench - not something to do between sets, but it looks to be fairly easily convertible. I wonder what is up with the triangular jingles?
__________________
Ironwood kit Tiki kit Openhanders Vids
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 09-12-2011, 09:17 PM
SergiuM's Avatar
SergiuM SergiuM is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 280
Default Re: Tambourines

Cool, maybe ill get the mounted one then. I hear that the triangular shape gives it a darker, drier sound. I haven't found any youtube clips of it or anything but i heard some good reviews, i think i'll buy it!
__________________
You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body. -C.S. Lewis
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 09-12-2011, 09:51 PM
Fuzrock's Avatar
Fuzrock Fuzrock is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 602
Default Re: Tambourines

As far as sound goes, the best sounding one I have ever heard is LP Cyclops with brass dimpled jingles. It practically sounds EQ'd. It's the opposite of harsh sounding. I know they make a mounted version but all I could find is this hand held one.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/class...73487000000000
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 09-12-2011, 11:33 PM
Deathmetalconga's Avatar
Deathmetalconga Deathmetalconga is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Boise, Idaho
Posts: 7,225
Default Re: Tambourines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzrock View Post
As far as sound goes, the best sounding one I have ever heard is LP Cyclops with brass dimpled jingles. It practically sounds EQ'd. It's the opposite of harsh sounding. I know they make a mounted version but all I could find is this hand held one.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/class...73487000000000
I have one of those. Very nice sound and loud as hell if you crank on it.
__________________
Ironwood kit Tiki kit Openhanders Vids
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 01:53 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com