DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Drums

Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 09-10-2011, 09:43 PM

Default Surf City / HB Drums

Anyone know anything about the HB Drum line?? I've read a few reviews, some good, some not so good...any thoughts or opinions are most welcome. Thanks!
Old 09-11-2011, 04:25 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Surf City / HB Drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denzo View Post
Anyone know anything about the HB Drum line?? I've read a few reviews, some good, some not so good...any thoughts or opinions are most welcome. Thanks!
At one time a fellow purporting to be connected with HB came on here to "answer questions" and "get consumer feedback"... and was pretty much made fun of for five or six pages of thread.

All you really have to do is go to the website and look at the photos of the drums... set up like some of the spastic kits you see on Craigslist - - but this is a supposed drum manufacturer.

I actually own an HB drum. At one point I was looking for a 6" tom, and HB was one of the few options available to me without having to special order something carved from the Norse Gods' World-tree and lacquered with unicorn tears. The tom I got is supposedly birch, but it had so much cheap Taiwanese hardware on it, it wouldn't have mattered. The tom mount alone took up most of one side of the drum, and did a poor job of holding it. The lugs are the generic variety. I don't use it much anymore except as a special effect drum on certain occasions. It sounds a bit better with a YESS mount on it. The bearing edges look like they were gnawed on by rats, but what do you want for $33 plus S&H?

You would be better served taking your money elsewhere. Honest.
Old 09-12-2011, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alparrott View Post
The tom I got is supposedly birch, but it had so much cheap Taiwanese hardware on it, it wouldn't have mattered. The tom mount alone took up most of one side of the drum, and did a poor job of holding it. The lugs are the generic variety. I don't use it much anymore except as a special effect drum on certain occasions. It sounds a bit better with a YESS mount on it. The bearing edges look like they were gnawed on by rats, but what do you want for $33 plus S&H?
That's basically the experience I had. I came across their site a while back and thought they were a good deal but didn't trust what I saw. Ended up coming across a set used at a local GC and wasn't impressed at all. Like alparrott said the hardware was really cheap. That being said, I think they do allow for some hardware upgrades now that they didn't in the past. Might be worth ordering a cheap tom by itself to see what you think before jumping in and getting a whole kit.
Old 09-15-2011, 03:59 PM

Thank you both for the input, after reading your comments and what I found on line...I'll take a pass on this kit....
Old 09-16-2011, 08:16 PM
Platinum Member

I got one of their cocktail drums. The shells were very good birch but the hardware is third-rate and the drum arrived without all the tuning bolts and hoops.

You get what you pay for.
Old 09-24-2011, 03:22 AM

Thanks for the input ...I'll pass on this one.