DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 09-10-2011, 04:03 PM

Default Question on changing heads from EvansPrez

Hi all,

I would like to hear from you on two topics.

1. How often do you change your drumheads? What are the reasons you change them?

2. When you do make the decision that you need make a drumhead purchase, how many do you buy at a single visit to the store or when you order online and why is that the number?

Thanks for participating in this thread.

Rick Drumm
Old 09-10-2011, 05:46 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Question on changing heads from EvansPrez

On my toms I go back and forth between liking a dark and dry sound and a clean and open sound. I'll usually change my tom heads whenever I'm wanting/needing a different sound. As far as time goes, it depends on mood much more than wear.

Right now I'm playing my "clean and open" sound; a clear EC2 over a Strata 1000. The Strata on bottom adds a little more midrange the EC2 normally lacks, and gives a bit more fullness to the tone.

When buying new heads, it depends on why I'm buying as to how many I buy. If it's a wear issue I'll just replace the worn head; if I'm trying something new I'll buy one for all my toms.

Snare-side heads get replaced whenever I hear it start to go dead, usually about every six months.
Old 09-10-2011, 06:25 PM
Platinum Member

I change my snare batter head every three months or so, and my tom batters about half as often as that. My kick head and resonant heads usually stay on for a year or more.

My reason for changing is that the heads have either lost their tone, or that they're worn out (this is usually the case with my snare head, which receives a lot of punishment).

As for buying heads, I buy as many as I feel need changing. If I only need a snare head, I'll only buy a snare head; if I feel the whole kit needs reskinning I'll buy a full set.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:29 PM
"Uncle Larry"

I change my snare batter maybe once a year. I like the broken in sound as opposed to a new head sound on the snare. The tom batters I'll change probably twice to 3x a year, depending on how dented they get. I'll change tom resos once a year. Snare reso I change app once every 2 years. I usually order online because I can get a 10, 12, and 16 head pack that my local GC doesn't stock. Since I like single ply clears top and bottom, I'll typically order 3 or 4 sets of the 10,12, and 16 combo packs. Snare and bass drum heads I usually buy locally but tom heads I go online for the discounted combo pack. The kick drum batter goes until failure. The kick reso I barely think about, it's a logo head.

Evans G1's and regular Emad all the way.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:32 PM

I normally change my tom heads every 4-6 months, usually same with resonants. With snare heads it usually depends on the thickness of the head. Normally though, since I usually prefer snare heads with dots, thats not for almost a year. However if the head gets damaged or just starts to sound bad I'll replace it asap.

Normally if I'm buying heads, it depends on what kind I need to replace. If it's a snare, normally only one. But that also depends on if I need a snare resonant too. If I need toms heads i usually just get batters and then get the resonants later on. It also depends on how much money I have. But I also would use it to buy sticks. I try to buy sticks whenever I'm at a music store. I also might just buy one head, no matter what kind, just to try it.
Old 09-10-2011, 07:35 PM

1. I'll change my tom batters is when the coating starts to come off. I play covers mostly so I don't see the need for more frequent changes. A big gig will make me want to change heads. I will definitely change for recording.

I change snare batter monthly. It takes the most abuse. I like the sound of a new snare head also.

Bass drum batter stays for a long while. Usually a year or more.

2. I usually make the decision to buy a head(s) when there's a special or pre-pack combo. I buy all tom batters at the same time, and usually change them all at the same time. Snare is monthly for me anyway. I always have a backup snare head just in case, although I have never broken a snare head.

If I was a famous touring artist I would change heads every other night for me ha ha
Old 09-10-2011, 07:51 PM
Platinum Member

Answer1
I don't really have a set amount of time for changing heads. I just decide one day that the time has come and I do it. I replace heads because of wear and also to change the sound for the music that I am playing.
I keep heads for months or even years depending.

Answer 2.
The amount of heads that I buy varies depending on my needs.
I will buy one head, or up to five at a time, and everything in between.
I rarely buy more than five at once though.

Last edited by bobdadruma; 09-11-2011 at 03:19 PM.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:24 AM
Gold Member

1. I replace as many as possible before recording, or when they're REALLY worn and near impossible to get a good sound from. Too expensive to be a regular purchase for me.

Snare batter - about every 6 months.

Toms - Batters - About once every 1.5 years on average. Resos - When I want to use a single ply on top, I buy a new reso and move the old reso onto the batter side.

Kick - I have only ever bought one new kick batter head in over 10 years of drumming! I hated the sound and it spent about a week on the drum before I put the old one back on. Reso - will be replacing shortly as I want one in white and unported.

2. I'll usually just buy one snare batter on it's own, and if my budget allows some new snare wires too. For the toms I just buy two for my 4 piece set up - 13" and 16". Also own a 10" and 18" but these see a lot less use so don't get changed as often.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:35 AM

Just a quick question, what do you all do with you old heads? I mean if some of you are changing every month you must have a lot of old heads lying around. I am also guessing that some of these heads are still in a playable, if not half decent, condition. I personally donate all my old heads that are still in good shape to local highschools as some of the government highschools in Australia lack significant funding and hence heads don't get changed often if at all (I'm talking 5-10 year periods). Youth centres and churches would probably also benefit from a donation service like this as well. It also helps to diminish the amount rubbish going into landfill.
Just something to think about
Jackson

PS: I change toms maybe once a year, snare 2-3 times a year and kick maybe once every two years. I am still in high school though so I maybe only gig once a month so I don't have a real need to keep heads in top condition all the time. Though they do get changed when ever I go into the studio
Old 09-11-2011, 02:57 AM
Pioneer Member

Would it not be polite to offer some free stuff in return for such juicy data? ;)
Old 09-11-2011, 06:02 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonescrusher View Post
Would it not be polite to offer some free stuff in return for such juicy data? ;)
Everyone on the forum got a free set of Evans heads of their choice last week.
We all got a PM with a gift certificate enclosed.
Didn't you get yours?
Old 09-11-2011, 06:18 AM
Gold Member

My old Zickos kit had the original heads (from 1973). The only head I ever changed on it was the BD resso and I only did so when the hoop separated from the head. The rest were fine until the drums were stolen in 2010. My "new" Zickos kit has some original Zickos heads and some new Evans blue hydraulics. I'll probably never change them unless they break or puncture.

I change snare heads about every two to three years depending. I have a Remo on my vintage Ludwig SD that I have had for probably ten years and I would change but it sounds so damn good I don't want to mess it up.

I replaced the batter on my Zickos SD at the last Big Beat in Tulsa when they were offering a special. Either new head tuned by a "pro" or new head with a caricature of you by a local artist, either for $10. The money was to be used to finance Big Beat, and the heads were donated by Evans and Remo and time donated by Evans or Remo reps and local artist. I must admit the the drum didn't sound appreciably better. I gave the old head to a kid in attendance who had such badly dented heads on his drum that it was barely recognizable as a head.

Did I mention that I am cheap and I don't play all that much?
Old 09-11-2011, 07:10 AM
Gold Member

For toms, I keep my head until they start going dead. Usually 6-8 months.
For snare, I don't keep the head if I don't like it. If I do like it, I keep it until it wears out, usually 3-6 months.
I keep my bass drum heads a long time, usually 10-12 months.
The reso head is the same for all, except tripled.

I usually just buy one head (bass and snare) or set (toms) at a time. Occasionally I'll buy 2 snare heads to compare.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:42 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvansPrez View Post
1. How often do you change your drumheads? What are the reasons you change them?

2. When you do make the decision that you need make a drumhead purchase, how many do you buy at a single visit to the store or when you order online and why is that the number?
1.whenever they sound bad/dead. this is usually every 2~4months for my snare, aroun 4~6months for toms, and around 6~12 months for bass drum. I change my resonant heads every 3 times i change my batters. i also change snare wires around every 3 times.

2. if its from my local store i buy as many as i can that they have in stock for the certain head i am after. if online i will buy them all when needed. i buy the whole set just to keep an even sound throughout my whole kit - for example i don't want 1 amazingly alive sounding 10" tom, compared to a semi-dead 16" floor tom....
Old 09-11-2011, 12:01 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdadruma View Post
Everyone on the forum got a free set of Evans heads of their choice last week.
We all got a PM with a gift certificate enclosed.
Didn't you get yours?
Damn! Story of my life.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:17 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonescrusher View Post
Damn! Story of my life.
Sorry to hear that Jones, I thought that everyone got one.
I used my certificate to order a new set of G1's and G2's.
Old 09-11-2011, 03:36 PM
Platinum Member

I tend to change heads when they are either sounding "played out", or if they get damaged. I change the snare most often, ever three to six months depending on my playing schedule, although I've had my latest (Power Center Reverse Dot) on there since May and it still sounds great. I change the toms much less frequently, but I reckon in terms of gigs rather than years, and my EC2s lasted for about nine months to a year of gigging (spread out over four years, including a year and eight months where I didn't play them at all, due to being relocated overseas). Kick heads, I play until damaged (usually nine months to a year of gigging). I have had the same resos on the toms since I replaced them last in 2002, and the snare side head was new in 2006. I just changed from the stock kick reso to a new, ported one after close to 12 years.

I buy snare heads singly, unless there's a great sale, then I snap up two or three. Same with kick heads. Nobody seems to sell a 10-12-14-16 tom pack, so I always buy the 10-12-16 and buy the 14" separate, always at the same time. I only replace single tom heads when something unexpected happens to the drum (like having a tree fall on it and pierce the head... a story for another day).
Old 09-11-2011, 06:22 PM
Gold Member

I'm a pretty active player so I change certain heads often. I change my snare head about every 6 to 8 shows for two reasons. Usually it's because it loses some bite and starts to sound flat, but it also depends on how it looks. I like the kit to look good from my view point too so I sometimes change a head if the coating wears off and it looks bad. That's one of the reasons I was interested in a coated white film head. They look better longer and sound great. I change tom heads when they start to lose some tone or when they get dented, usually about every 16 to 20 shows. The kick drum head gets changed about once every 4 to 6 months.
I buy heads in bulk usually, trying to get multiple snare heads (usually 3 at a clip) and 1 or 2 tom heads. Usually just 1 bass drum head. It's that number because of cost reasons and because of trying to have some in reserve so I don't have to purchase as often. Hope this helps.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdrums21 View Post
I'm a pretty active player so I change certain heads often. I change my snare head about every 6 to 8 shows for two reasons. Usually it's because it loses some bite and starts to sound flat, but it also depends on how it looks. I like the kit to look good from my view point too so I sometimes change a head if the coating wears off and it looks bad. That's one of the reasons I was interested in a coated white film head. They look better longer and sound great. I change tom heads when they start to lose some tone or when they get dented, usually about every 16 to 20 shows. The kick drum head gets changed about once every 4 to 6 months.
I buy heads in bulk usually, trying to get multiple snare heads (usually 3 at a clip) and 1 or 2 tom heads. Usually just 1 bass drum head. It's that number because of cost reasons and because of trying to have some in reserve so I don't have to purchase as often. Hope this helps.
Thanks for all the responses. The reason I am asking this forum, is we did a fairly extensive survey and found that the majority of young drummers wait until the head breaks before buying a replacement. I imagine that many of you if not all of you are also teaching drums. It seems that they believe that as long as they have an intact surface to strike, that's all that is required.

I think we need to instill, "Pride of Sound". There is a marked difference in sound when we put on a fresh drumhead. I think our ears become accustomed to the sound of the head as it wears, similar to a cymbal as dirt accumulates on it.

As many of you know, we are also the largest manufacturer of guitar strings. A guitar player changes their strings when they become difficult to tune or they begin to feel dead. They can feel the difference in feel because they are touching the strings with their fingers. Of course drummers have a stick between their hand and the drumhead. That's not quite as easy to feel when the head is going dead. There is a huge difference in sound.

As this thread points out, there are many variables that affect when to change the head from how often your playing to the style of music, to technique, etc...

For those of you that do teach, how many are teaching equipment maintenance? I think if you have the student change a played out head to a new during a lesson will be a very eye opening and more importantly ear opening experience. Rick
Old 09-12-2011, 05:17 AM
audiotech

Quote:
Thanks for all the responses. The reason I am asking this forum, is we did a fairly extensive survey and found that the majority of young drummers wait until the head breaks before buying a replacement. I imagine that many of you if not all of you are also teaching drums. It seems that they believe that as long as they have an intact surface to strike, that's all that is required.

Rick
I find in a majority of cases concerning young drummers and many not so young, that they have a definite fear of turning the tension rods of their drums. This might sound ridiculous, but many drummers will take the position that the drums might still sound "alright" even though they're in desperate need of tuning or head replacement. This is why so many do not stray far from what they are comfortable with unless it's an emergency and they HAVE to replace the head or heads.

Many of these drummers never had any formal lessons or direct "one on one" formal education on what a really greatly tuned drum kit should sound like and how they too can achieve these results.

Dennis
Old 09-12-2011, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotech View Post
I find in a majority of cases concerning young drummers and many not so young, that they have a definite fear of turning the tension rods of their drums. This might sound ridiculous, but many drummers will take the position that the drums might still sound "alright" even though they're in desperate need of tuning or head replacement. This is why so many do not stray far from what they are comfortable with unless it's an emergency and they HAVE to replace the head or heads.

Many of these drummers never had any formal lessons or direct "one on one" formal education on what a really greatly tuned drum kit should sound like and how they too can achieve these results.

Dennis
A great opportunity for the industry and teachers to train them proper tuning, care & maintenance. Rick
Old 09-12-2011, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Hi all,

I would like to hear from you on two topics.

Thanks for participating in this thread.

Rick Drumm
1- I've only been playing for 8 months, well almost 9 now but I'm very particular with sound and I've been experimenting with various heads to match the sound in "my head".

For Toms, I've changed 6 times, which may be excessive but like I said, I'm trying to find a sound and I've switched back and forth between all these heads. I've settled on Aquarian Performance II's and bought Coated Super 2's as well. I was using Evans SST's previously and if the Aquarian heads don't meet my needs, I would probably go back to the EC2's.

2- I have a Fusion Kit so my sizes I've ordered were 10, 12, 14 (except for the G1 + G2 combo which was on my old kit, 12, 13, 16) so typically I would by the fusion pack if available. For the kick I've purchased a 22" emad2 for my old kick, and 20" emad2 for my current kit.

I'm pretty sure once I settle on the sound I want, I won't be changing my heads too often, it gets pretty expensive, the good thing is I have all these heads I can go back and forth on! hahahaha!
Old 09-12-2011, 04:22 PM
Drummerworld Pro Drummer - Administrator

The sound is usually the reason I change a head. A head that's been used a bit tends to sound best, but there's also a point where its elasticity starts to wane, and prevents it from vibrating as well as it used to, meaning it loses its tone, and that's very apparent to my ear.

Some heads get changd less often, simply because they aren't getting the same kind of use and wear as other heads. That is, a reso lasts a lot longer for me than the batter on that same drum. On my toms, I may change the resos every year or two, or longer. The snare side head takes a lot of impact when the snare is played (from its hoop which takes a lot of shock from the stand's 'basket') coupled with the need to freally vibrate well to activate the wires, will get changed more often, always depending on how frequently that snare gets used.

For me, kick resos rarely get changed. The size of the head and the relatively low tuning allows it to stay elastic pretty much forever. I've received 50+ year old vintage kits with original kick front heads, and they sound like they must have when new.

I try to keep the heads on-hand that I would need for any of the kits I use. That's typically one head for each type and size I use, and perhaps a few extra snare batters, simply because I tend to change those heads most often, and usually need fresh heads when I buy a used snare.

For touring, I bring up to 12 snare/tom head packs - 12/13/14/16, nested to conserve space - because those heads have to be available when I need them, and without having to track down a music store on a Sunday, in the middle of nowhere.

I used to keep just one set of heads with me on tour, because that's all I needed when it came time to change. ASAP after that, I would find a music store and get replacement heads for the next time. But I also found that I couldn't always get to a store, and that all stores didn't have the heads I needed - 12, 13, 14 & 16" - as unbelievable as that may sound. So I learned to bring a supply of heads right from the start, just like the big boys!

Bermuda
Old 09-12-2011, 04:44 PM
Platinum Member

Tom resos get changed fairly infrequently on my kit, so they are almost out of the equation - maybe every two years? Tom batter heads get changed 2-3 times a year depending on how frequently I've gigged. Snare batter heads get changed roughly every two weeks, again depends on the gigs. I like to change that head as soon as it starts to lose tone, and that doesn't take too long for me. I don't use a really tight snare batter, and I like it to sustain, so my needs may be different from someone who tunes very tight and likes a very dry sound. Bass drum batter gets changed perhaps every two years.

As for how many heads at a time - I usually order my heads online since I don't live close to a good music store. I usually order 5-10 snare heads and 2 of each tom head. I want them to last a while before I reorder.
Old 09-12-2011, 05:33 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotech View Post
Or maybe, and I know this is not the answer you want to hear, it could like an old codger like me. We're cheap! :-)
Old 09-13-2011, 02:10 AM
Silver Member

Hey foolios.

I would like to change my heads as often as 3 or 4 months but my finances dictate otherwise!!!!!! Plus I am getting married soon which will have an effect on how often I change my heads (well, maybe...my wife to be is pretty freakin sweet).

So, realistically, I change my heads anywhere between 9 and 16 months, I believe when I got my Studio X's I posted about it on this forum and that was at least a year ago.

( http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=66351 )

I also think about buying different heads when I get bored with the sound I have on my kit and have a chirping urge to smuggle some new skins.

Generally I will research different heads for months before actually pulling the trigger on one. I don't believe I have found "my head" (I still go loco from time to time, sorry, pardon the pun), and if I did find the perfect head, I don't think I would be happy to just settle on it and buy it every time I changed heads (that's just boring). I have found some that I favor over the others, though.

As for my research, I will read Musicians' Friend reviews, look and ask questions on forums like this (sometimes about multiple heads, it gets tedious but it's free and I love these things they call message boards), visit the manufacturer's website to see what they say about the technology of the head and what styles it's for, and finally I will try to find videos on youtube demonstrating the head so I can really hear what it sounds like.

HOWEVER! When watching those "head" videos, I don't like company product demonstrations. I find them to be innacurate. I want a live microphone set up in a room somewhere (NOT hooked on the drum) and some guy testing it in a real world situation - not some fancy, preppy production like Remo does with their Ambassadors and Emperors, etc. Even if there's room noise or whatever, I don't care. Just make it real and no fancy compression or any of that junk. That's fine to hear what it sounds like mic'd but that's not what I hear when I play.

Once I've chosen a head type I will either buy one from a store (if I can get to the nearest Guitar Center as there is no stores like that around here, aw shucks), or if I am confident that the head will deliver what I need I will jump ship and take the whole stash of them for my kit. Either then I am disappointed or delightfully enthused. From that point forward I determine what I actually like and dislike in heads.

And from my research I have determined that Evans makes a competetive head for the consumer drumming community.

Not my favorite (!) though I could not say I favor any particular brand. One thing I will say that speaks volumes about your company there sir, is that I have never played an Evans head that I disliked. There was always *something* that I could grab from any one of the head choices I have played on. I can't say the same about Remo, there have been some real stinkers with those gentlemens. I can feel confident that when I choose an Evans head, that though it may not be my perfect cup of tea, I won't regret the purchase entirely and sickeningly trudge my way through the life of the head.

I say good job. But product demos would be nice!

Sabian AA, Meinl Byzance, Zildjian K
Old 09-13-2011, 03:21 AM
Platinum Member

I am of the school that says that heads shouldn't be replaced unless they are worn and suffering from deadness.
I have never bought into the "change heads frequently even if they are sounding good" nonsense.
I know what a good head sounds like and I don't replace them for no reason.
I also like drumheads best when they are somewhere in the middle of their life.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:30 AM
Gold Member

The last set of EC2 clears were on my kit for over a year and still sounded great, no dents or dead sounding toms. I changend them because of a recording session and I wanted 100% new sounding heads. I have changed a reso or two because of damage from other people helping me tear down, a simple scar or dent in a reso can ruin a head's performance and ability to tune (I discovered this recently) what a PAIN!

I usually change ALL batters (5 total) and run resos well past a year or more.

Note: I have only been able to get this type of head life from Evans drum heads, 25+ years with Evans and no need to look anywhere else.
Old 09-13-2011, 03:33 AM
Administrator

For me it's either worn off coating on G2's or rrealy bad sound. If I replace tom heads, I do them all at once. I have made 2 changes in the last year and the next will be my clear G1's on the reso side. They are about due. And why would you beg for free stuff, even though as Bob said, most of us already got ours, when we have an expert answering questions on a daily basis without hounding us to buy his product. As the Mayor, I appreciate the visits from the Prez.
Old 09-13-2011, 09:35 AM

Change for recording, don't really care about it for practicing unless a head breaks completely.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:18 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdadruma View Post
I am of the school that says that heads shouldn't be replaced unless they are worn and suffering from deadness.
I have never bought into the "change heads frequently even if they are sounding good" nonsense.
I know what a good head sounds like and I don't replace them for no reason.
I also like drumheads best when they are somewhere in the middle of their life.
This best describes me as well.

Disclaimer... My Yamaha Recording Customs are covered in Evans while my Sonor Jungle is covered in Fiberskyns (batters and reso's). Both my snares are Fiberskyns as well.

I've used a couple Genera Dry's on snares and don't really like it for the style of music I play. Then again, in the right setting, I'm sure they are just fabulous.

Ultimately I find little to no difference between Remo & Evans. Both produce quality sounds and I enjoy all of it. If Evans made Fiberskyns, I might try them too....

I'm a fairly light jazz/funk player and as a result heads can last me 2 + years. Mostly the snare drum batter goes first. Not sure when the last year was I changed a snare reso head. Perhaps a decade. It's been decades since I last broke or even pitted a head of any kind.

Reason would be if they are no longer sounding good or my taste has changed. If something comes along where I feel like I must try something new, I might bite on the marketing ploy and try it. It's rare though.

I always make my first shopping stop at my local 5 Star Drum Shop. Much to my dismay, the balance I order someplace online. I have found it impossible to get 16" bass drum heads locally. I'd rather give my cash to my local mom/pop drum shop than anywhere else. They work extremely hard to keep a quality shop and pay their bills.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:47 AM
Platinum Member

Snare head: gets changed when I can't tune it up anymore. When I pull it off, it generally resembles a bowl, and you can see it just didn't have anymore to give. On occasion, I'll break a head, but not to often. I change the bottom snare head roughly every three top heads.

Tom heads: When they are either too dented or just dead sounding. I like to replace all toms heads at once, even if the wear is not necessarily even (and rarely is).
The exception is if I'm going to be recording, then I change them all regardless of how much life may or may not be in them.

Bass drum: pretty rarely to be honest. I always use a patch of some sort, so that helps protect from denting/damage. And with a self muffling head, it can take a while to notice the head has gone dead.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:12 AM

Hi All,

Thanks for all the feedback.

On another note, I'm playing Sept. 16 & 17 in Chicago at Andy's Jazz Club with Frank Catalano. If you're in the Chicago area, please come by and say hello. Rick Drumm
Old 09-16-2011, 03:23 AM

i play my drum heads untill they break. when i go to the store to by drum heads i only buy the drum heads that i need.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:42 PM
Platinum Member

I do not remember the last time I broke a drumhead. I change them when I feel as though they need it. I usually buy one to five at a time, depending on which drum(s) needs a new head. It also depends on my finaces. I do not change bass drum or snare reso heads very often. I have played drumset since 1969. Peace and goodwill.

Gretsch Catalina toms and BD / Pacific SX Series (snare) / Sabian / Evans / Vater
Old 10-11-2011, 11:53 PM

I change my heads when the tone of them is completely destroyed by nylon streaks covering the head, giving clear heads an almost coated feel, so not often. Or if desperately seek a different sound.

I have to say EvansPrez, when I use Evans they only last about two months though.. Where my Aquarians last at least 6, and when I use Remo's they only last two days before I go out and buy different heads.

Anyways, I usually buy 1 head at a time(for snare of bass drum) or 4(for my toms).
Old 10-14-2011, 03:26 AM

Hi Pat, what Aquarian, Remo head models are you using and what Evans have you tried? Rick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Mastelotto View Post
I change my heads when the tone of them is completely destroyed by nylon streaks covering the head, giving clear heads an almost coated feel, so not often. Or if desperately seek a different sound.

I have to say EvansPrez, when I use Evans they only last about two months though.. Where my Aquarians last at least 6, and when I use Remo's they only last two days before I go out and buy different heads.

Anyways, I usually buy 1 head at a time(for snare of bass drum) or 4(for my toms).
Old 10-15-2011, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Hi Pat, what Aquarian, Remo head models are you using and what Evans have you tried? Rick
I'm using Aquarian Super2-with studio-x on the toms right now, Remo, I've used Pinstripes and Ambassadors, and that was enough for me.
I've had Evans Ec2 hazy coated on my snare(what I have on my snare now) and G1 Genera coated on my snare before that. I also have played drums (but not owned)with Ec2 on the batter and G1 on resonant.

Personally, I love the sounds I've gotten through Evans but the durability is something I can't get past, my old G1 Genera head lasted, a little less than two months. And the Ec2 I have on now has been on for about 4 months, but changing it has been long over-due. And I'm not exactly he hardest hitter in the world either.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:35 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Mastelotto - Fan View Post
Personally, I love the sounds I've gotten through Evans but the durability is something I can't get past, my old G1 Genera head lasted, a little less than two months. And the Ec2 I have on now has been on for about 4 months, but changing it has been long over-due. And I'm not exactly he hardest hitter in the world either.
How often do you play? You shouldn't be wearing out heads that fast.
Old 10-15-2011, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Masters View Post
How often do you play? You shouldn't be wearing out heads that fast.
At least an hour a day.