DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 09-08-2011, 03:44 PM
Silver Member

Default Limiter needed or not for IEM ?

Hi guys, I have a set of Shure SE315's coming in today and wanted to know if I need to use a limiter for them when monitoring myself or do I just need to use the limiter when using them with the band at practice?

If i do need to use a limiter....is there in inline limiter offered or better yet what would you suggest?

Thanks!

Pete
Old 09-08-2011, 04:02 PM
Platinum Member

Default Re: Limiter needed or not for IEM ?

I would recommend a limiter to avoid blowing your hearing because of sudden loud noises (such as feedback loops or someone unplugging a microphone).

Don't have any specific suggestions off the top of my head, but I'm sure someone else will chime in soon :-)
Old 09-08-2011, 08:03 PM
Silver Member

I would use one anyway, just in case. For solo practice, you will probably not hit the limiter threshold, but for rehearsals/performance....most definitely! I don't know why singers seem to think that it is a great idea to suddenly swallow the mic and randomly shout "ARE YOU HAVING A GOOD TIME?!?!?!" at the top of their lungs...

Now the technical question: What are you going to use to drive your SE315's? Do you already have a headphone amp or are you using a wired/wireless beltpack or what?
Old 09-08-2011, 08:50 PM
Silver Member

Brad....I was under the impression I could simply hook up the IEM to my mixing board, or do I need a headphone amp? Sorry for all the questions this is new to me. Thanks
Old 09-08-2011, 11:19 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

You probably could do with a headphone amp but there are various cunning ways that you could incorporate an IEM setup with a limiter without necessarily buying new equipment.

In your situation, I would take a straight stereo feed from the desk (a personal monitor mix) and plug it into the jack input on a laptop (if you have one) using an adapter lead. Then you can route that input through some basic software (like Audacity) and apply limiting live using the software. Take the IEM feed out of the headphone output of your laptop with an extra-long lead and you're good to go.

If you were doing this at a higher level, I'd still recommend doing it this way but instead using a small audio interface with a built-in headphone amplifier. The software approach is potentially easier and more flexible than using dedicated hardware.

As for using limiting with a pair of IEMs live? Do it. Absolutely do it.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:37 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediocrefunkybeat View Post
You probably could do with a headphone amp but there are various cunning ways that you could incorporate an IEM setup with a limiter without necessarily buying new equipment.

In your situation, I would take a straight stereo feed from the desk (a personal monitor mix) and plug it into the jack input on a laptop (if you have one) using an adapter lead. Then you can route that input through some basic software (like Audacity) and apply limiting live using the software. Take the IEM feed out of the headphone output of your laptop with an extra-long lead and you're good to go.

If you were doing this at a higher level, I'd still recommend doing it this way but instead using a small audio interface with a built-in headphone amplifier. The software approach is potentially easier and more flexible than using dedicated hardware.

As for using limiting with a pair of IEMs live? Do it. Absolutely do it.
I'd like to do this hardware only without the need for a laptop, do headphone amps have built in limiters?

Thanks
Old 09-08-2011, 11:40 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteN View Post
I'd like to do this hardware only without the need for a laptop, do headphone amps have built in limiters?

Thanks
Not that I've come across. There seems to be a significant gap in the market there I'm afraid.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:38 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediocrefunkybeat View Post
Not that I've come across. There seems to be a significant gap in the market there I'm afraid.
so a limiter is does not really exist as stand alone?
Old 09-09-2011, 02:54 AM
Platinum Member

What you're talking about is actually a compressor. What the device basically does is, you set the maximum output level on the compressor, and whenever a signal hits it that's over the threshold, the volume gets compressed down to a listenable level. There are cheap ones, and there are expensive ones. Obviously, the more expensive, the better the circuitry to actually handle these errant signals in an efficient way. Musically, compressors are used to even out dynamics. So if you have a singer who screams every now and then, when they go through this device, it'll all come out nice and even and actually save your system from the mayhem caused by extreme dynamic range.

But if our OP has his own mixer to plug his in-ears into, you could just be smart and judicious about the level coming through. I always recommend getting one of those little Behringer or Mackie mixers, and the output from the main console can go in to the little console, and with your IEM's plugged into the headphone jack, you can control the volume yourself. Not the same as a compressor, but easier to do. So, during a soundcheck, have your singer scream into the mic, and adjust accordingly, and then keep all levels under that.

The Shure 315s are pretty isolating so you don't have to turn up the volume much. I keep mine just loud enough to hear the track in my head, but if someone turned around and started yelling at me, I can still hear them over the in-ears. I think if you ride the volume control smartly, you can easily avoid having to add extra gear to your in-ears. You can't just add a compressor to the line of your in-ears. There's a line-level difference in the electronics. So, even if you got a compressor, you would still need a small mixer or headphone amp to convert the signal for your in-ear monitors. If you learn how to deal with it at your mixer, you can avoid the extra expense for now.
Old 09-09-2011, 03:19 AM

Personal Monitor Limiter
http://www.zzounds.com/item--ROAROCKBOX
Old 09-09-2011, 04:52 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BertTheDrummer View Post
I stand corrected. I wonder how many people are using this? It seems to have answered the problem.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:08 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Thanks for the link...as Bo stated i'm also curious if anyone on here is using this as well
Old 09-09-2011, 10:35 AM
Gold Member

Im used different setups over the years. Big mixers, small mixers, usb interfaces, firewire interfaces (either rackmounted or not)

Never used a limiter (and fortunately never needed) but I would advise one since you can hve a bad day. Im thinking of getting a Rolls ( http://www.thomann.de/nl/rolls_cl_151.htm ) witch is small and fits my SKB Flyer case just behind my mini mixer:
Old 09-12-2011, 09:37 PM

Quote:
This looks simple and easy to use, and the price is pretty solid too. +1 to wanting to hear from anyone who's used it.
Old 09-13-2011, 11:23 PM

I've also been wanting to purchase some type of Limiter to protect my hearing for awhile now. I've been plugging my IEM's directly into my mixing boards Headphone port. Just practicing/playing on my own this hasn't been too risky but I know I'm taking chances on doing something stupid enough to give me permanent hearing loss. The Rockbox Limiter is often recommended over at the Pearl Drummers Forums. I'm also looking at the Shure PSM 200 or 400 systems.

One thing I've noticed is that the Headphone port on my Yamaha MG166CXUSB just doesn't drive my Ultimate Ears UE 4 Pro IEM's enough until I turn the volume up more than I'd like to. I also need to have several headphone ports available so I assume a decent multiport Headphone Amp would be take care of those two problems along with something like the Rockbox Limiter inline for hearing protection.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:01 AM

I just noticed that the rockbox goes up to 11, that makes it a must-have!