DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 09-03-2011, 06:12 PM

Default Planning recording order on a budget

As it's pretty hard being a drummer without a job I cannot afford stuff from Shure to mic up every drum in my drumset, so I spent a couple of hours throwing together a budget alternative consisting of four microphones, a mixer and some miscellaneous stuff such as cables and stands. I thought maybe you could help me out, give me some opinions on my list here, and maybe contribute on what you would use for budget users.
Everything enlisted from Thomann.
  • Headphones: Vic Firth SIH 1 (58,-)
  • Bass drum: The T.Bone BD300 (49,-)
  • Snare: Shure SM57 (98,-)
  • Overheads: Behringer C-2 Stereoset (59,-)
  • Mixer: Behringer Xenyx 1204 USB (129,-)
  • XLR: Pro Snake TPM 6 x4 (31,60,-)
  • Y-cable: The Sssnake YPR2030 (3,99,-)
  • OH-mic stands: Millenium MS-2003 (14,90,-)
  • Snare mic holder: Audio Technica AT 8665 (8,90,-)
  • TOTAL: ~452 EUR

If I wouldn't happen to own a '58 already I probably would have gone for T.Bone CD56 BETA since it sounded decent in a drum mic video I found.

What do you think?

Last edited by OculusAires; 09-03-2011 at 06:21 PM. Reason: Spelling error
Old 09-03-2011, 08:55 PM

Default Re: Planning recording order on a budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by OculusAires View Post
As it's pretty hard being a drummer without a job I cannot afford stuff from Shure to mic up every drum in my drumset, so I spent a couple of hours throwing together a budget alternative consisting of four microphones, a mixer and some miscellaneous stuff such as cables and stands. I thought maybe you could help me out, give me some opinions on my list here, and maybe contribute on what you would use for budget users.
Everything enlisted from Thomann.
  • Headphones: Vic Firth SIH 1 (58,-)
  • Bass drum: The T.Bone BD300 (49,-)
  • Snare: Shure SM57 (98,-)
  • Overheads: Behringer C-2 Stereoset (59,-)
  • Mixer: Behringer Xenyx 1204 USB (129,-)
  • XLR: Pro Snake TPM 6 x4 (31,60,-)
  • Y-cable: The Sssnake YPR2030 (3,99,-)
  • OH-mic stands: Millenium MS-2003 (14,90,-)
  • Snare mic holder: Audio Technica AT 8665 (8,90,-)
  • TOTAL: ~452 EUR

If I wouldn't happen to own a '58 already I probably would have gone for T.Bone CD56 BETA since it sounded decent in a drum mic video I found.

What do you think?
Just out of curiosity, are you plugging in the Mics into Mixer than from the mixer Into Computer?

The reason I ask is, I see you listed the "Behringer Xenyx 1204 USB"...Great Mixer.

And it DOES have a USB out. But here is the bad thing, that USB out on that mixer is only 2 Channels / Stereo / Left and Right. It doesn't matter if you have ALL of the mic inputs plugged in...your only going to get 2 channels to mix on the recording.

In other words, Each individual track you recorded (2 overheads, snare and bass in your case) CANNOT be individually mixed in your recording software.

The reason I know this is because awhile ago I was going to buy a Behringer Xenyx mixer but decided not to because of this fact.

You need a good USB interface with a few mic preamps / inputs.

I wrote reply on this thread about this subject. And I went into a little more detail on what you need...

http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=79518

The interface I own? Tascam US-1800. Alot of guys here have this, or something very similar.

Peace
Old 09-04-2011, 02:23 AM

Default Re: Planning recording order on a budget

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobamnator View Post
Just out of curiosity, are you plugging in the Mics into Mixer than from the mixer Into Computer?

The reason I ask is, I see you listed the "Behringer Xenyx 1204 USB"...Great Mixer.

And it DOES have a USB out. But here is the bad thing, that USB out on that mixer is only 2 Channels / Stereo / Left and Right. It doesn't matter if you have ALL of the mic inputs plugged in...your only going to get 2 channels to mix on the recording.

In other words, Each individual track you recorded (2 overheads, snare and bass in your case) CANNOT be individually mixed in your recording software.

The reason I know this is because awhile ago I was going to buy a Behringer Xenyx mixer but decided not to because of this fact.

You need a good USB interface with a few mic preamps / inputs.

Peace
Yes, well that's also part of the planning. I thought of including another tele-Y-cable connected to my Mbox, since I cannot use the USB interface in Pro Tools (damn you Digidesing lockout!). This will allow me to record in a single stereo track. However, it's mainly going to be for rehearsing, ergo connecting my MP3-player into the mixer and running them into the headphones.