DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 09-02-2011, 02:33 PM

Default Jamhub for silent rehersals. I'm impressed

My band recently bought a jamhub for rehersing. http://www.fullcompass.com/product/379138.html (I hope it is ok to post this link as it is the easiest way to show what they are.) I did a search on DW and found nothing about them. They obviously work best with an electronic drum kit. Luckily besides my 2 beautiful acoustic kits, a few months ago I bought myself a hi end Yamaha E-Kit mainly so I can practice whenever I like at home, and I must say the E-kit sounds awesome. Back to the jamhub. They are a very impressive piece of gear. The band no longer has to go to rehersal rooms to practice. Instead, we practice at my house where my E-Kit is set up. The guitarists and keyboard just roll up with their instrument and pedal box(no amps) and we all plug into the jamhub. The sound through the headphones is so clean and each muso can adjust the mix they hear themselves. You can record straight out of the unit via USB into a computer or cd burner, and the recordings sound is fantastic. One of the guitarists was very skeptical about the jamhub until we used it for the first time and now he can't stop raving about how good it is. Check out some videos on youtube about them. I can certainly recomend them for rehersing.
Old 09-02-2011, 02:36 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

Default Re: Jamhub for silent rehersals. I'm impressed

I've read nothing but good reviews for the Jamhub. Sound on Sound reviewed them when they first came out and were very positive. Which model do you have?
Old 09-02-2011, 03:03 PM

I bought the green room model. The difference in the sound you hear through the headphones and what you hear in a rehersal room with loud amps and acoustic drums is incredible. Its like your listening to a cd. The effects with the vocals is awesome as well. Reverb, delay etc, there are about 20 different settings for the vocals, and each of the seperate channels can alter how they hear the vocal effects. They are a great tool for making demo recordings as well. These things are that good. As the topic says, I'm really impressed with Jamhub. Our band was spending $40 each week(doesn't sound much I know) at the rehersal rooms plus lugging our gear around. This thing will pay for itself in no time.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:05 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

They're a great idea for gigs too if you have a compliant sound engineer. Use them for personal monitoring and plug in your own in-ears. They're a good system. I have no need for one but I definitely get the appeal.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediocrefunkybeat View Post
They're a great idea for gigs too if you have a compliant sound engineer. Use them for personal monitoring and plug in your own in-ears. They're a good system. I have no need for one but I definitely get the appeal.

Yeah, I was going to mention that. The guy in the music store told me the same thing last week.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:09 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

I'm guessing you also have the remote control? There's another good idea. This thing is packed with them!

Seriously, I hope others are reading this thread. The Jamhub really is a great solution to a lot of rehearsal and gigging problems.
Old 09-02-2011, 03:18 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediocrefunkybeat View Post
Seriously, I hope others are reading this thread. The Jamhub really is a great solution to a lot of rehearsal and gigging problems.
They are and it is.

Just what I need to encourage more frequent jam sessions at home. I want one....gotta get that e-kit first though.....damn it!!

[Like the new avatar btw. LOVE Blackadder......a plan so cunning you could put a tail on it and call it a weasel!]
Old 09-02-2011, 04:03 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

I made the wise decision to buy the complete Blackadder on DVD a while back. I've now watched it all at least three times and it never ceases to be fantastic. Up there with Fawlty Towers.
Old 09-04-2011, 09:22 PM
Platinum Member

I love this thing, great idea, its on my list.

JAMHUB on Youtube
Old 09-04-2011, 10:06 PM
Pioneer Member

Ah, the thread title had me excited for a moment, not much good if you're an acoustic drum kit player :(
Old 01-16-2012, 01:48 AM

Old (REALLY old) thread, but I'll add to it anyway.

Our band bought the GreenRoom model this week, and are in the process of working out the kinks.

Vox
Lead guitar
Rhythm guitar
Bass
Drums (acoustic)

Our volume has been increasing for quite some time. We play rock and roll covers; R.E.M., Uriah Heep, Weezer, Sabbath, Bryan Adams, James Gang, Grand Funk, etc. We're in a 13'x26' room. Bass and drums on one end, guitars on the other, vox on the middle-side. It HAS been a loudness war, and I'm the only one who doesn't care. I've worn either foam or custom earplugs for the last 22 years. Unfortunately, our singer is really pushing to hear himself without a proper monitor setup. His voice is taking a beating for the group.

So we found the Jamhub and pulled the trigger. We setup mics for the kit; HH, snare, tom, tom, tom, kick, and two overheads as a spaced pair. All of that runs into a 12 channel mixer, then TRS out to the Jamhub. The guitars have pedal boards (modelers?), and the bass player has an active pickup bass. Singer directly in, of course.

Biggest issue (still) is volume of the drums. I switched to Hot Rods, but it may not be enough. I'm considering SoundOff pads and switching back to sticks. My personal issue is bleed through past my headphones. They are Sennheiser, model HD428 S. The sound great, but the snap of the snare cuts right through. NOTHING like before with foam earplugs. I use Hearos brand, btw. Not the Hi-Fi model. The EX25 model headphones from Direct Sound is due on Tuesday, and it should be an improvement to the Sennheiser set. That said, I'm not averse to switching to earbuds, then wearing shooting style ear muffs for maximum protection. There's a few ways to tackle my problem, and we're looking at them all, including moving me into another room in our rehearsal basement and cutting a window into the wall. And we've never even played a gig... >_>

Overall, I think the Jamhub will help us. After just an hour, it's nice to hear the singer and my backup vocals much more balanced. I can now sing on pitch easier. It's really nice to pot down the guitars... tee hee