DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Pedals

Pedals Discuss Pedals

Old 08-27-2011, 08:31 PM

Default Buying used

Upgrading my pedal, The IC jr's fill me with rage. I have $250 to spend. I want a nice DW single pedal. A new 5000 is $180 or $190. I found a used 9000 on guitar center's website for $190.

I have played the 5000 turbo and creamed myself, but I don't have a music store conveniently close to me to go try the 9000. I know it's all about my preference, but they are the same price almost.

I have heard good and bad about the 9000, and everyone says it's not worth paying extra for, but that is now taken out of the equation. I spoke with the store and the guy said it was pretty much brand new, some rich kid had it but rarely ever played it. A few scuffs and some dust is all.

My last used purchase from guitar center was a sonor force special edition 6-pc kit for $300, almost never used. This kit is 100x better than a new ddrum d2 which is $400ish. So I'm not too concerned about the quality of the pedal being bad just because it's cheap.

I'm having a hell of a time making the decision, so I come to you for advice and used gear horror stories.

Tl:dr new dw5000 or used dw9000 for same price. Which one?
Old 08-27-2011, 09:35 PM
Silver Member

Default Re: Buying used

The 9000 feels just a bit smoother and lighter in my experience. I liked it more. Has more if the cool factor as well. But they are not as user friendly in the adjustments. I used to own the 9000 double. Traded it for a Cobra + cash.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyannetica View Post
Upgrading my pedal, The IC jr's fill me with rage. I have $250 to spend. I want a nice DW single pedal. A new 5000 is $180 or $190. I found a used 9000 on guitar center's website for $190.

I have played the 5000 turbo and creamed myself, but I don't have a music store conveniently close to me to go try the 9000. I know it's all about my preference, but they are the same price almost.

I have heard good and bad about the 9000, and everyone says it's not worth paying extra for, but that is now taken out of the equation. I spoke with the store and the guy said it was pretty much brand new, some rich kid had it but rarely ever played it. A few scuffs and some dust is all.

My last used purchase from guitar center was a sonor force special edition 6-pc kit for $300, almost never used. This kit is 100x better than a new ddrum d2 which is $400ish. So I'm not too concerned about the quality of the pedal being bad just because it's cheap.

I'm having a hell of a time making the decision, so I come to you for advice and used gear horror stories.

Tl:dr new dw5000 or used dw9000 for same price. Which one?
I'd vote for the 5000. I play a single pedal only and just sold off a spare 5000 in great condition with case for $100. Use the extra $80 and buy sticks, heads, or a splash. When I played the 9000 I found it almost too smooth. Just not the response I wanted.

ETA: Oh, and for what it's worth, I bought both of my 5000 pedals used for around $120 in like new condition.
Old 11-14-2011, 11:12 PM

I dont know... I have not owned the 5000's BUT I have spent a lot of time with both of them at GC. I bought the Pearl Demon Drives and didnt like the feel so I traded for Tama speed Cobras, Although they play great I notice a significant difference from the master to the slave pedal. I wanted to make the right choice on which pedal to buy as I did not want to keep buying and trading. After multiple trips to GC and playing with the 5000 and 9000 I decided to go with the 9000. The 5000 felt great but a little too heavy under the foot. Keep in mind I was not able to really break it in but it was a floor model so I'm sure it gets plenty of play time. I did get to adjust the settings how I wanted them though. I jumped on the 9000's and they felt quite a bit better. Not too heavy under the feet but you could tell they were there. I ordered a used double 9000 for 345.00 and returned the speed Cobras.