DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 08-25-2011, 04:35 PM

Default Best place to buy sticks?

I searched but didn't come up with anything. If this has already been discussed, please direct me to the thread. I'm a little sick of paying $10+ for a pair of sticks from the local music store. I play Vic Firth Gadd sigs. Half the time, the local store only has 1 pair, and they're horribly mis-matched or even dented from folks playing them. My concern with buying online is that I can't roll/bounce them. I also want to make sure I don't get "B" stock sticks with defects.

Can anyone point me to a good source?

Thanks!
Old 08-25-2011, 05:44 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Best place to buy sticks?

Have you tried a direct order from Vic Firth?
Old 08-25-2011, 07:49 PM
Pioneer Member

well I order from musicians friend. they usually have pretty good deals. Also if you can make yourself use different sticks the vater "goodwood" stuff is pretty sweet and not a bad deal at all (12 pairs for 39.99)
Old 08-26-2011, 12:44 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshvibert View Post
I searched but didn't come up with anything. If this has already been discussed, please direct me to the thread. I'm a little sick of paying $10+ for a pair of sticks from the local music store. I play Vic Firth Gadd sigs. Half the time, the local store only has 1 pair, and they're horribly mis-matched or even dented from folks playing them. My concern with buying online is that I can't roll/bounce them. I also want to make sure I don't get "B" stock sticks with defects.

Thanks!
Check out these guy's. You can get anything you want or need, and the prices are great:

http://www.customdrumstix.com/

I've been using them since '08, and EVERY single stick is perfectly straight and top notch quality. They last a long time.
Nick hand picks each board for straightness and quality (VF and others buy from the same source, and they don't go to the source and hand pick their wood).

You can use "Crafton" in the Promo Code (I'm now an endorser) and get 15% off a first order. I don't get anything out of it like "endorser points" or anything stupid like that.

No B.S. Not trying to play up a product. They're just really awesome sticks.
Old 08-26-2011, 01:51 AM
Gold Member

music123 seems to have good prices, plus free shipping in the USA, they have an ebay and an amazon store, plus i wouldnt worry about bad sticks from vic firth too much, all there american classics are matched sets.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarlCrafton View Post
Check out these guy's. You can get anything you want or need, and the prices are great:

I've been using them since '08, and EVERY single stick is perfectly straight and top notch quality. They last a long time.
Nick hand picks each board for straightness and quality (VF and others buy from the same source, and they don't go to the source and hand pick their wood).

You can use "Crafton" in the Promo Code (I'm now an endorser) and get 15% off a first order. I don't get anything out of it like "endorser points" or anything stupid like that.

I can attest to this. The fact that you can get a pair of drum sticks to your specifications (length, diameter, taper, tip) made from hand-picked hickory for $5 is awesome. It's like getting the exact stick you want and having the bad wood filtered out for you for cheaper than the other brands. And they do last a long time.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:17 AM
Administrator

The price and selection is good if you have the cash to order 6 pair at a time.
Old 08-26-2011, 04:18 AM
Gold Member

actually vic firth do make their own sticks,and they are pitch paired and weight matched, they were even featured on how its made.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pL5EhqblxI
Old 08-27-2011, 02:38 PM

LEADING SLOVENIAN MANUFACTURER OF PROFESSIONAL DRUMSTICKS

DynaVox drumsticks are a product of well-known Slovenian quality that completely satisfies the requirements of professional drummers. The production process, material used, 32 years of development and experience and very tight manufacturing tolerances provide a durable and exceptional product with the following distinctive qualities:

SOUND: top quality wood guarantees excellent sound and rebound from the sticks
BALANCE: geometrically designed for maximum speed, power and response
RELIABILITY: constant quality ensures sticks keep their straightness
DURABILITY: wood and plastic tips are guaranteed to last and maintain tone
SURFACE: suitable for dry and damp hands; model specification can also be by request.

The range of 16 models has been chosen to satisfy every style of drumming Models 2A, 3A, 5A, 7A, 7AS, 5B, 5AB, 55B FR, Heavy Ball and 2B are made with a wooden tip, Models 2AN, 5HN, 3AN and 5AN have durable nylon tips. Model UV is a transparent, green or red drumstick that glows in ultraviolet light.

The lengths of sticks are from 370 to 425 millimetres; their shaft diameters are from 12.8 to 16.6 millimetres. The material from which they are made is Cornus; Xylopia or Maple. This special woods assures a long life and optimal balance.

We offer wide possibility for custom models.

LOW PRICES TOP QUALITY IMMEDIATE DELIVERY!

DynaVox products:
Studio DynaVox
Slovenia EU

Information:
GSM: +386 402 936 56
E-mail: studio.dynavox@siol.net
Face Book: Lado Cernos
Old 10-05-2011, 02:27 AM

Quote:

Sorry for the bit of a bump, but for Customdrumstix, on average how long does it take for an order to be shipped. Just curious.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:25 AM
Platinum Member

Longest I've had to wait was 3.5 weeks. Shortest about 2.
If you do a total custom stick, expect a longer production time on the first order.
Old 10-05-2011, 03:47 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by paistepower92 View Post
Sorry for the bit of a bump, but for Customdrumstix, on average how long does it take for an order to be shipped. Just curious.
I just ordered about two weeks ago, and Nick told me it'd probably be a bit less than four weeks. Sounds like four weeks is the stated time frame, and they try to get in under that. I can hardly wait for mine to show up!
Old 10-07-2011, 05:17 PM
Gold Member

i checked them out and was going to order a dozen but once they added $2 a stick for nylon tips and the shipping it was quite a bit more than i pay for the vic firth american classics.

12 sets nylon tip sticks plus 1 free from cdx is $84 plus $66.39 shipping to canada is $144.39
12 sets of vic firth 5bn from music 123 is $87 plus $14.95 shipping to canada is $101.95

cdx does ship to the USA for only $11.78 but music 123 ships inside the USA for free.

Last edited by tard; 10-07-2011 at 05:33 PM.
Old 10-07-2011, 10:31 PM
Gold Member

Quote:

Karl,

Thanks for the heads up. This is EXACTLY what I've been looking for and my next stick purchase will definitely be from them.

:)
Old 10-12-2011, 09:43 PM
Silver Member

Quote:

Karl,

Thanks for the heads up....and I saved 15% thanks to you....

F
Old 10-13-2011, 01:49 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston_Wolf View Post
Karl,

Thanks for the heads up. This is EXACTLY what I've been looking for and my next stick purchase will definitely be from them.

:)

Glad I could help your situation Mr. Wolf ;-) I assume then my LA privileges are still in good shape? :-)

Florian, I think Nick said it would work for any order too, so you can use it again.

Tard, dude, I can't believe those shipping rates! Wow, that blows.

I'm working on a new stick design for this new thing I'm going to be doing.
Big tip with a sloped neck thing.
I want a lot more bounce, but with still getting a big, fat sound.
I can do press rolls and stuff with my double butt stick, but it's easier with a tapered neck. Got the idea from some old Regal 3S sticks I use to warm up with.

Working out the details before I get any big amount. I might just get some at 16" and cut down a bit at a time myself to save time and then place a 12 pair at least order.
Probably around a .574 diam., and 15.5 length. 16" sticks just don't feel comfortable for me any more...I got spoiled!

Hope your sticks work great guys, mine last for ages!
Old 10-14-2011, 02:46 AM
Silver Member

I just got an order from customdrumstix -
Tip Type-Old School Acorn, Taper-Medium, Length-16", Diameter-.516", Finish-Smooth, Lacquer-No Lacquer, Color-No Color

He let me order 2 pairs of white oak, purpleheart, and jatoba each. I worked with the owner through email, and he responded very quickly every time, and he was always very helpful. There was a delay in getting my sticks shipped because he has been so busy lately, so he threw in extra sticks and Groove Juice for being late. One pair of each is not shown. I am 100% impressed by his service and handiwork. The prices were great as well.
The sticks play very well, and sound great on medium weight rides especially. The purpleheart really has an interesting spring to it that it fun to play with. These sticks are fantastic, and the service is absolutely amazing.
Please check out this service before you order sticks again!
Attached Images

Last edited by jodgey4; 10-14-2011 at 03:06 AM.
Old 12-04-2011, 04:45 PM

I'm bumping this thread to rant a little bit. I ordered sticks from CustomDrumStix in late September (27th to be exact). I was told that they would be ready to ship in about 4 weeks. 3 weeks later I got an email from them saying that because of production delays it would be about 2 weeks until my order would ship, and they'd even throw in a couple of coupons with my order because of the delay. I was okay with this, until 2 weeks before thanksgiving when i got another email from them saying that once again something had gone wrong and my order would be delayed until the week of Thanksgiving. Now, I still have not gotten my sticks I ordered and it has been almost 3 months since I ordered them and they have not responded to my recent emails. Anyone got any advice as to what I should do?
Old 12-06-2011, 03:02 AM

Wait it out. I'm sure it will be well worth the wait
Old 02-02-2012, 01:56 AM

I might have to try these!
Old 02-09-2012, 05:16 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
I'm bumping this thread to rant a little bit. I ordered sticks from CustomDrumStix in late September (27th to be exact). I was told that they would be ready to ship in about 4 weeks. 3 weeks later I got an email from them saying that because of production delays it would be about 2 weeks until my order would ship, and they'd even throw in a couple of coupons with my order because of the delay. I was okay with this, until 2 weeks before thanksgiving when i got another email from them saying that once again something had gone wrong and my order would be delayed until the week of Thanksgiving. Now, I still have not gotten my sticks I ordered and it has been almost 3 months since I ordered them and they have not responded to my recent emails. Anyone got any advice as to what I should do?
Did you ever get your sticks?

I just crossed the six week mark on my order and haven't heard anything or received a reply to my email asking for an ETA either...
Old 02-10-2012, 01:35 AM

Hey guys sorry for the delays in responses to all of your emails to CDX... Ive been totally swamped and I cant apologize enough for the constant delays. Im stuck doing a 6 man job myself and everything is about to leave this weekend. I know someone of you have been given dates the sticks would leave already but everything is off the lathe and waiting to be lacquered and or stamped which IS happening this weekend. Everyone of you that has had to wait will be getting extras for the wait. Please understand these delays where because of equipment issues and an overload of orders... more orders than I can handle myself.

I tried buzzing through my in box real quick and I believe I answered everyone that has recently emailed. Ill be around tonight via email so feel free to email me and as always you can find me on face book. Search drum stick nick and leave me a message. Ive been trying to leave up dates here as well: facebook.com/customdrumstix

sorry about the wait guys, im slinging these as fast as I can!

-drum stick nick
Old 02-15-2012, 11:07 PM

A good place to try also is www.massmusic.net. Reasonable prices there as I ordered 6 pairs of Vater West Side for 39.00 but it's shipping that's on the high side. I suggest finding a place that has free shipping or going a local store and see if they'll do price matching.
Old 02-16-2012, 04:17 PM
Silver Member

Anyone get their sticks yet? Or shipping confirmation?
Old 02-16-2012, 11:59 PM

Nope - not yet.

I ordered in early November.

I'd be OK with a 4-month wait if told so in the beginning. But I've been promised, "Next week at the latest..." twice already.

Maybe it's my fault for not getting updates via The Book of Face?!?
Old 02-17-2012, 01:11 AM
Gold Member

Bought a brick of VF 5bn's from music 123 at the time of my last post in October and with shipping included saved more than $40 than if I had bought 5bn's from CDX and I had them at my door with in a week of ordering.

Last edited by tard; 02-17-2012 at 03:57 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:00 AM

Strangely, I'm not ticked off.

Stopped by my local music store to replace a pair of VF Pete Erskine Ride Sticks and the salesman talked me into buying a pair of VF AJ5 "American Jazz" sticks.

http://www.vicfirth.com/product/buyn...php?button=Aj5

I love 'em! They're light, fast and quiet. While they don't fully excite the larger toms or heavier cymbals, I still get good stick definition and feedback from behind the drumset. Might be just the ticket for tiny venues or acoustic sets.

The VF AJ5s might just replace my Zildjian Mezzo 2 birch rods!
Old 02-18-2012, 05:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
Strangely, I'm not ticked off.

Stopped by my local music store to replace a pair of VF Pete Erskine Ride Sticks and the salesman talked me into buying a pair of VF AJ5 "American Jazz" sticks.

http://www.vicfirth.com/product/buyn...php?button=Aj5

I love 'em! They're light, fast and quiet. While they don't fully excite the larger toms or heavier cymbals, I still get good stick definition and feedback from behind the drumset. Might be just the ticket for tiny venues or acoustic sets.

The VF AJ5s might just replace my Zildjian Mezzo 2 birch rods!
Damn, november?!? The aj5's are a thin stick. I was thinking of a customdrumstix .524 diameter. I need something light for jazz, but something that I can rock with. My main stick is the vic firth estick with a .563 diameter. It feels thinner and it's a real light stick.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:50 PM

Woo-Hooo!

Got my sticks from Customdrumstix yesterday. Ordered 6 pair, got ** 9 ** pair for the extra wait time!!

Just what I ordered - though I never doubted that.

I'd suggest that you contact Customdrumstix directly and ask for the lead time. Might I suggest some maple sticks in a beefier size? Might hold up better than skinny hickory sticks and give you speed you want.

I'm a light hitter, and seldom need to pound the set. I don't expect that the AJ5s would hold up to much abuse. It's not my "go-to" stick, but they seem to work fine when light play and practice is called for. More often than not, it's an acoustic jam/practice in a basement or some such. I can still play with my normal rythm/force and not blow through the guitars.

I loaned the AJ5s to a drummer buddy who plays out a lot. I'll report back with his opinion.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winston_Wolf View Post
Did you ever get your sticks?

I just crossed the six week mark on my order and haven't heard anything or received a reply to my email asking for an ETA either...
Yea, I got them on Thursday of last week, I got 9 pairs. (just like Smoke) They are great actually, but then again, it's what I wanted when I ordered. One thing about them is that they were slightly too rough, but 3 seconds with some fine-grit sandpaper took care of that and they are great. I'll definitely be ordering more pairs, but it will be a long time, since it takes me an average of 4 months to get through 1 pair.
Old 02-19-2012, 07:58 PM
Gold Member

I'm glad to hear sticks are finally arriving! Maybe that means mine are coming soon too.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:07 PM

Any suggestions for buying sticks in the U.K? I'm really after Vic Firth... used to get a great deal at my drum store but the owner is sick at the moment & the price I pay is now double!
Old 02-19-2012, 10:46 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke View Post
Woo-Hooo!

Got my sticks from Customdrumstix yesterday. Ordered 6 pair, got ** 9 ** pair for the extra wait time!!

Just what I ordered - though I never doubted that.

I'd suggest that you contact Customdrumstix directly and ask for the lead time. Might I suggest some maple sticks in a beefier size? Might hold up better than skinny hickory sticks and give you speed you want.

I'm a light hitter, and seldom need to pound the set. I don't expect that the AJ5s would hold up to much abuse. It's not my "go-to" stick, but they seem to work fine when light play and practice is called for. More often than not, it's an acoustic jam/practice in a basement or some such. I can still play with my normal rythm/force and not blow through the guitars.

I loaned the AJ5s to a drummer buddy who plays out a lot. I'll report back with his opinion.

I ordered mine in early October, just got em on Friday.....a 4 month wait, but I was told by Nick they had equipment issues. Will I order again? probably. Nick was very up front about the issue and seems like a standup guy. Oh, I got an extra 6 pair for my wait.

F
Old 02-20-2012, 10:12 PM

Cool you got your sticks. I just ordered mine and I forgot my paypal password so the order didn't go through. I see my order but I can't pay for it. I emailed nick to send me a paypal link or something.
Old 03-05-2012, 03:07 AM

Quote:
A 4 week wait is a ridiculous amount of time to wait for drumsticks. There are no sticks worth that kind of time. I doubt I do business with this company any time soon.
Old 03-05-2012, 10:36 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirbyM View Post
A 4 week wait is a ridiculous amount of time to wait for drumsticks. There are no sticks worth that kind of time. I doubt I do business with this company any time soon.
That's fine---if you don't want anything specific, and have different sticks that work exactly perfect for you without modifying them in any way.

After looking into several aspects of what I wanted, and what would work best for ME, for MY playing, I wanted a few things differently than what anyone offered.
I figured out what I wanted and needed, CDX did it, & MY stick works perfectly for ME.

Don't know if it would work for anyone else, but it doesn't have too.

I agree that a longer than expected wait is a drag. When a small company has equipment problems, and it send things back days or a week or so longer than expected NO ONE likes that.
At least people got 3-6 pairs of sticks extra for free to make up for it.

I think my longest wait has been 4 weeks. If I remember correctly, that was when I had a template made. That was with shipping time included which is 3-4 days depending on the shipping company.

I just got some sticks 2 weeks ago.
The problems must have been ironed out, because they were ready within 1.5 weeks, and I told him not to ship until the following Monday so I would actually be at the shipping location when they were dropped off.

CDX sticks last so long for me that even if I was down to 6 pair, a 2-4 month wait wouldn't affect me.
In the almost 4 years I have been using sticks made by Nick, I actually broke A stick on a gig. I was thrashing kinda hard on that song though (for the "show", and hit the rim of the ft). It was a stick that was already used at home a bit and maybe a rehearsal, so no biggie.
Usually they wear out in the middle and I use them until they are all the way through.

I should post a pic of what my sticks end up looking like before I stop using them.
This is basically for ALL of them. I have never had one fail in a short period of time, which for some have been a couple hours, or a couple weeks.

The durability, and custom size/design for ME is worth a wait, but, it's different for others.
Old 03-19-2012, 11:59 PM

Quote:
That's fine---if you don't want anything specific, and have different sticks that work exactly perfect for you without modifying them in any way.

After looking into several aspects of what I wanted, and what would work best for ME, for MY playing, I wanted a few things differently than what anyone offered.
I figured out what I wanted and needed, CDX did it, & MY stick works perfectly for ME.

Don't know if it would work for anyone else, but it doesn't have too.

I agree that a longer than expected wait is a drag. When a small company has equipment problems, and it send things back days or a week or so longer than expected NO ONE likes that.
At least people got 3-6 pairs of sticks extra for free to make up for it.

I think my longest wait has been 4 weeks. If I remember correctly, that was when I had a template made. That was with shipping time included which is 3-4 days depending on the shipping company.

I just got some sticks 2 weeks ago.
The problems must have been ironed out, because they were ready within 1.5 weeks, and I told him not to ship until the following Monday so I would actually be at the shipping location when they were dropped off.

CDX sticks last so long for me that even if I was down to 6 pair, a 2-4 month wait wouldn't affect me.
In the almost 4 years I have been using sticks made by Nick, I actually broke A stick on a gig. I was thrashing kinda hard on that song though (for the "show", and hit the rim of the ft). It was a stick that was already used at home a bit and maybe a rehearsal, so no biggie.
Usually they wear out in the middle and I use them until they are all the way through.

I should post a pic of what my sticks end up looking like before I stop using them.
This is basically for ALL of them. I have never had one fail in a short period of time, which for some have been a couple hours, or a couple weeks.

The durability, and custom size/design for ME is worth a wait, but, it's different for others.
Yeh, equipment problems. 4 weeks? Get better equipment and hire some help if you want to compete.
Old 03-22-2012, 05:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshvibert View Post

Thanks!
It may be a few bucks more, but well worth keeping your local shop in business!!!
Old 03-23-2012, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enforcerdrummer View Post
Yeh, equipment problems. 4 weeks? Get better equipment and hire some help if you want to compete.
Hey All,
I'm Danny and I'm the other 1/2 of CDX. After along while, I finally managed to make it over to Drummerworld to join in the fray. (I've been on other MB's a while).

Anyway, while searching around I came across this posting and wanted to make a few things known.

1) Thank you all for your wonderful compliments. It is awsome to hear and is what keeps us going.
2) On behalf of CDX, we are very sorry for the wait and hope that everyone who did ordered is enjoying the free sticks.
3) In relation to the above:
We are a small company and very much hoping to get new equipment. However, it's very expensive and for the time being, we are making due with what we have.

For the time being, we have some exciting things in the works that should help with the production issues in the near future! I can't wait to share them when the time comes.

I look froward to working with you all and don't hesitate to PM or email me at danny@customdrumstix.com.

Thanks!

Danny
Old 03-28-2012, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumsdb View Post
Hey All,
I'm Danny and I'm the other 1/2 of CDX. After along while, I finally managed to make it over to Drummerworld to join in the fray. (I've been on other MB's a while).

Anyway, while searching around I came across this posting and wanted to make a few things known.

1) Thank you all for your wonderful compliments. It is awsome to hear and is what keeps us going.
2) On behalf of CDX, we are very sorry for the wait and hope that everyone who did ordered is enjoying the free sticks.
3) In relation to the above:
We are a small company and very much hoping to get new equipment. However, it's very expensive and for the time being, we are making due with what we have.

For the time being, we have some exciting things in the works that should help with the production issues in the near future! I can't wait to share them when the time comes.

I look froward to working with you all and don't hesitate to PM or email me at danny@customdrumstix.com.

Thanks!

Danny
Looking forward to it. Make it worth my wild!