Drums All about Drums and Drum Kits

Old 02-08-2012, 01:02 AM

Default Which Pearl Set should I get?

http://www.samash.com/p/Pearl_Vision...0Value_1832257

OR

http://www.samash.com/p/Pearl_Vision...0Value_1832326
Old 02-08-2012, 01:10 AM
Silver Member

Default Re: Which Pearl Set should I get?

Probably the Vision because of the 100% birch shells. Probably be nice to play them first.

this one http://www.samash.com/p/Pearl_Vision...0Value_1832326
Old 02-08-2012, 03:03 AM

I had a vision kit recenlty and I was very suprised with the quality and value of the set
(birch)
Id also consider a good quality used kit too if you can - the session and session custom kits were very nice too !
Old 02-08-2012, 05:58 AM
audiotech

I really don't want to sound like a naysayer, but I would definitely continue my search. My main objection is the Pearl ISS rack tom mounts. Others on this forum have had other issues. I know the prices sound appealing, but I would just keep looking a bit.

Dennis
Old 02-08-2012, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotech View Post
I really don't want to sound like a naysayer, but I would definitely continue my search. My main objection is the Pearl ISS rack tom mounts. Others on this forum have had other issues. I know the prices sound appealing, but I would just keep looking a bit.

Dennis
This depends on the rims of the drums. My Pearl Masters Custom kit came with ISS mounts and I gigged with those drums for 10 years and never had a problem. BUT...all I have, as far as mounted toms go, are an 8x10 and 10x12, both with Pearl Superhoops.

Plus, the tom's tuning was never affected by the ISS mounts.

But you are entitled to your opinion
Old 02-08-2012, 08:00 AM
audiotech

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddrumman2004 View Post
This depends on the rims of the drums. My Pearl Masters Custom kit came with ISS mounts and I gigged with those drums for 10 years and never had a problem. BUT...all I have, as far as mounted toms go, are an 8x10 and 10x12, both with Pearl Super Hoops.

Plus, the tom's tuning was never affected by the ISS mounts.

But you are entitled to your opinion
The Pearl Vision kits come equipped with 1.6mm triple flange hoops on the toms, the Super Hoops that you are referring to are 2.3mm triple flange hoops, which are a much thicker gauge material. The 2.3mm that you're referring to Might take the punishment of the ISS mounts a little better than that of the 1.6mm hoops the OP will be getting if he buys a Pearl Vision kit.

Just consider the weight of the drum being beaten by a stick, bouncing around and only being held gingerly at two points of a very thin (1,6mm) piece of metal. There is quite a bit of skewing during this process and it will affect the integrity of the hoops and also the drums tuning. I've personally seen toms fall from their ISS mounts, bouncing off the bass drum and landing on the floor. One of these gentlemen later ordered OptiMounts. This is fact, not just my opinion. In my opinion though, the Pearl ISS rack tom mounts are probably the worst tom mounting system in the industry. If some people are naive to the above facts, they should at least be warned.

Dennis
Old 02-08-2012, 01:01 PM

I agree the 100% birch shells option (the more expensive one) sounds a little better. Play them first if you get a chance, to see if you prefer the sound of one or the other. Also consider buying used, it's a good way to get more for your money.

About the ISS: I have used and played several Pearl kits with the ISS system and in my experience the toms have always sounded great, including using ISS up to 14 inch toms. I have never had any problems with it.
Old 02-08-2012, 04:45 PM
TFITTING942

Pick the kit which you like best, don't stress over the mounting system. If it were indeed complete junk, pearl would probably just use optimounts and discontinue them. theres always more to a story when a mount brakes.
Old 02-09-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFITTING942 View Post
Pick the kit which you like best, don't stress over the mounting system. If it were indeed complete junk, pearl would probably just use optimounts and discontinue them. theres always more to a story when a mount brakes.
Ok. Thanks dude I'll probably end up getting the (Pearl Vision Birch Artisan II 5-piece Drums Shell Set with a FREE P902 Power Shifter Double Bass Drum Pedal) cause it's a $100 bucks cheaper plus I get the pedal that I will sell. And I really like the shell graphics.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:22 PM
Administrator

I would buy the Pearl set that said Gretsch on the Reso head. Like a Catalina Maple or Birch set.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:34 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
I would buy the Pearl set that said Gretsch on the Reso head. Like a Catalina Maple or Birch set.
Is that the same one that has the Gretsch sticker over top of the printed Mapex head! :)
Old 02-09-2012, 11:07 PM
Administrator

Thats the one, yep..............
Old 02-09-2012, 11:25 PM

Birch vision are some quality drums for the cash. Def go with the natural finish.
Old 02-10-2012, 02:15 AM

Go with the 100% birch, and consider either upgrading to the 2.3 mm hoops or getting OptiMounts. Not a Pearl owner but have a friend who has an old Export with ISS and it looks like a really flawed design.