DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 06-24-2006, 04:48 PM
Pioneer Member

Default Re: Danny Carey

I was expecting a lot about Tool's new release, but surprisingly even after many daily listening it didn't catch me at all like any of their previous. I felt like they've lost a little bit of their uniqueness and their musical identity. It's very much more heavy music oriented than their previous albums. They give up some powerful riff, but on CD these rocking song didn't do it for me. But live, they sounded awesome and it really moved me (and they were pretty refreshing after standing and waiting during hours, enduring Korn or Dir En Grey). Anyway seeing Tool live is a real experience, hearing and seing Danny Carey playing his heavenly sounding drums and polyrythms makes you realise that the guy is the real generator of the band. They've ended the show by my favourite drug, Aenima.........there's something so dark about this song I just can't get enough of it. And Maynard says some pretty funny things and is a great showman. These guys are real musicians and I don't believe they are these kind of satanistic artist that they want to make us believe they are. But there must have been some DMT, a bit of new-age and scientific interest around them, anyway who cares their music is great.

https://soundcloud.com/#sitas-master
Old 06-25-2006, 08:37 PM

Even though he states his double bass playing is a week point of his playing he still is very creative and good at it. I'm not a huge fan of doulbe bass but he is one of the few I really enjoy listening to.
Old 06-25-2006, 08:55 PM

I enjoy Dannys playing and I think hes a good drummer, but I absolutely hate tool with a passion. Not once have they impressed me a single bit, it's just...boring.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:37 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittc89
You didnt like counting bodies like sheep? Im pretty sure it was just a remix of Pet from the 13th step. I thought it was a pretty interesting take on it.
It was just a remix, it was done by Danny Lohner. I just didn't like it... the whole kind of industrial vibe... it just didn't seem to work for me. I like the dark sounding side of APC (like Magdalena, Rose, even The Noose) but "Counting Bodies..." was a bit... mediocre I thought, in comparison with "Pet"
Old 06-29-2006, 09:09 AM

Did someone noticed how huge he is? I knew he is big, but after a tool show I saw he lookes even bigger.... I wouldn't want to meet him in a dark alley...
Old 07-01-2006, 09:13 AM

Danny Carey is defiantely into some drugs.
and it shows in the music/artwork.
I am a huge tool fan.
and i think that its obvious some of the things he dose...
Old 07-01-2006, 09:39 AM

That dosn't mean he's definatly on drugs, just a bit out there, people often think i'm on drugs from my artworka nd such yet i'm clean.
Old 07-02-2006, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh is a cult
Danny Carey is defiantely into some drugs.
and it shows in the music/artwork.
I am a huge tool fan.
and i think that its obvious some of the things he dose...
I read somewhere that he is a fairly frequent user of DMT (stronger than LCD)....
I don't care aslong as he keeps up his creative and inspirtational drumming, i dont care what he does....

nd,
Old 07-02-2006, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnhiggins
All of the Tool-related websites are like that. The Toolband.com one just has some guy called Blair ranting about ritual magic and his latest curry recipe for weeks at a time. But that said, about half of what they come out with does appear to be total bulls*** - go back to the Aenima interview circuit and read all the Adam Jones ones where he claims to have used some bizarre lady shaving device instead of an e-bow. Then go listen to the song, note that it sounds just like an e-bow. Then go look at the example song list provided when you buy an e-bow and notice that... hell... that song is on there!

Then also go read the thousands of man-hours of fans trying to find that very lady shaving device, with no success.

Then imagine Adam Jones laughing his head off...

Works for me.
when he recorded the song he used the shaving device, but has since switched to the e-bow for practical purporses, remember aenima was 1996, im not even sure ebows were around then (but i could be wrong bout that).
Old 07-21-2006, 02:28 AM
Pioneer Member

i've used the search function and read through this thread so apologies if i've overlooked anywhere the info i'm looking for might be.

Is there anywhere I can find more info on the paiste kit Danny Carey uses. How it was built, more specs, just more info. I'm really intrigued by it but can;t seem to find any reasonable amount of info on it.

thanks in advance
Old 07-24-2006, 12:58 PM
Silver Member

You could try mailing Jeff Ocheltree - go to www.drumtree.com - there's a little bit off info about the "Spirit of 2002" snares on there which Danny is still using. Not sure about the rest of the kit mind, but I think it was a Jeff Ocheltree creation.
Old 07-31-2006, 02:53 AM

I agree with pretty much everything all of you have said. He a genuis behind the kit. The thing I like most about him is that he does not use a "traditional" drum beat on any of his songs. Everything that he does is some off beat or reverse lead.
He is also a genuis out of the kit. He helped develope the electronic pads that are incorperated in his kit.
Old 08-01-2006, 11:45 AM
Silver Member

One of the things I like most about D.C. is the way he tends to play more around his toms and be a bit more conservative with his cymbals. I read in an interview that he thinks that cymbals tend to eat up the high end so he prefers to play more around the toms. It's something I've been thinking about and trying to incorporate into my playing but it's pretty difficult with the type of metal my band plays.
Old 08-01-2006, 05:09 PM

Love the playin.... hate the mystical numerical mumbo jumbo poop ! Whatever !
Old 08-05-2006, 04:38 AM

To 'nielpscuz', what numerology?...

Anyways, if you like Danny Carey and have researched him a little, you've probably seen these video's, but if you haven't, here are some short clips of him playing live, with Tool (sometime on the 2001-2002 tour). http://dannycarey.org/cyberclinic.html ... If you listen to the the most recent half of Tool's albums, you know these clips are displaying a good mediocrity of his common playing...
Old 08-10-2006, 10:43 PM

If you go to his main site ( http://www.dannycarey.org/page2.html ) Technology>Present, what is that roll he does on his snare? Just an accented single roll?
Old 08-10-2006, 11:20 PM
Gold Member

I am not too familiar with him.

I just checked out his website. He seems kind of out there. Pretty weird. I guess because he can play the drums well he is taken more seriously than he would otherwise.

I don't get it.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarhat
If you go to his main site ( http://www.dannycarey.org/page2.html ) Technology>Present, what is that roll he does on his snare? Just an accented single roll?

That's a double stroke roll -at least to my ears- with the accents as single strokes.

Something like:

R llrrllrrll R llrrll R llrrll R L

That's probably not exactly it, but you can hopefully get the idea.
Old 08-18-2006, 05:12 PM

That's awsome! I can't wait.
Old 08-27-2006, 08:46 AM

In the bio of Danny Carey on this site, it says "Despite not becoming a Mason.." in the first paragraph. Strangely Enough, in the picture above that Danny Carey is playing his two little hand drums on top of what is The All Seeing Eye, which is an important Masonic symbol.

I'll shut up now, I'm not making sense to anyone.
Old 08-27-2006, 09:19 PM

The design on the ground is actually the "Eye of Horus"-
you can search on what it represents. The "All Seeing Eye" however is this-
Old 08-27-2006, 11:27 PM

amazing, i put him in the secoond highest level(Peart, Paice, Bill Ward an Danny). highest is Bonham an Mitchell. ticks and Leeches blows my mind everytime, 46 an 2, everything man.
Old 08-28-2006, 01:14 AM

Danny Carey, can his drumming style be pin-pointed? Can you really fit it into a genre? His drumming seems to change every album that Tool releases. By the way... WHERE IS THE LIVE DVD TOOL PROMISED US? ;-)
ECCLESIASTES 12:13
Old 08-30-2006, 05:39 AM

IMHO, I think there are better drummer's than D.C., but all are mostly "solo" drummer's (I'm sure you know which one's), but for playing in a musical group, I definetly put Carey high in the top 3 of my list. Danny Carey undoubtedly has a discernable playing style, but his approach on every album differs...Anyone heard his work in Pigmy Love Circus or Volto? D.C. played and recorded with Pigmy Love Circus before he even met any of the Tool guys (here's the link to the Amazon page of PLC's second studio album 'The Power of Beef' http://www.amazon.com/-Power-Beef/dp...720754?ie=UTF8 ). Volto has never released an official CD recording, they are mostly a live band that played a lot in southern California, the best place to hear their music is at their myspace page... www.myspace.com/volto ... I think the stuff on 'Power of Beef' is really cool, much more straight-ahead than Tool, and D.C. is a total 'powerhouse' on all of it, and with Volto, D.C. gets to show of his more fusion/blues/jazz/pocket playing. Of course, since D.C. is now touring in Tool, Volto and PLC are currently defunct (probably till the whole Tool tour extravaganza is over in a year or so). Though there could be some sporatic appearances of either between dates in the Tool tour.
Bids

Edit: I know they did confirm a live DVD release sometime in the future, but we will just have to wait. Don't know if they would work on it and release it during touring, or wait until they're completely done with touring...
Old 08-31-2006, 07:40 AM

This post is directed to 'Jammin' Jamin'... Here's a video on YouTube I found, I put it on here because of the things Danny talks about briefly... http://youtube.com/watch?v=5BefyptbjMw ...
Bids
Old 08-31-2006, 07:45 PM

danny is absoultely amazing, my favorite drummer, he commands the kit so perfectly, and the sound he gets from it are pure
Old 09-09-2006, 06:29 PM

Danny C is def. my favorite drummer. The first time i heard schism i was hooked
Old 09-09-2006, 11:19 PM

Here's an extended version of the video posted by Bernhard. In the very beginning, he's playing Bonhams green sparkle Ludwigs. Seems like a very down-to-earth kinda guy, despite what has been mention of him and Tool.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=5t72yaXU0fY

- Marc
Old 09-16-2006, 09:20 AM
Silver Member

I saw Tool tonight.

Simply blew the doors off my soul and the ears off my head!

I got to watch him almost from behind for part of the show. Great technique and command of the kit. He just totally rocked... in every time signature imaginable.

Wow!!
Old 09-16-2006, 09:13 PM
Pioneer Member

I saw Tool on 9/11. Although the performance as a whole was disappointing (Maynard was under the weather), Danny's individual performance was as incredible as ever. He didn't miss a beat.

That's what I love about Tool. Even on a bad night, they can still kick you in the face.
Old 09-20-2006, 12:00 PM

Danny Carey is great player indeed, but not my favourite. But still I think that soon he will move to my top 5: )
Old 10-02-2006, 06:52 PM

Definitely a great player. I saw Tool last Friday in Mansfield, MA and they were awesome, Danny Carey was insane as usual.

As someone who is not really into double bass playing, I must say my favorite thing about Carey is that he does it tastefully. Nothing bores me more than listening to someone run on their bass drum pedals the whole way through a song. Most of the time he seems to use it in either a fill or to build a groove at a song's climax, like when he goes nuts in Forty Six & 2 or Ticks and Leeches, or the end of Schism. I think he really understands how to use space to create a great groove and when playing single bass is still able to throw some great hi-hat work into his playing.
Old 10-10-2006, 03:43 AM

I just recently read that danny is aleister crowley's great grandson, well there we go.

i love danny carey, one of my msot favourite and inspirational drummers.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:14 AM

I just heard volto for the first time. I am very impressed. though it definatly lacks the creativity found in tool
Old 10-15-2006, 07:17 AM

I wish Tool would come to indiana I have been dying to see since i first started to listen to them 6 years ago
Old 10-15-2006, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnthehero
I saw Tool on 9/11. Although the performance as a whole was disappointing (Maynard was under the weather), Danny's individual performance was as incredible as ever. He didn't miss a beat.

That's what I love about Tool. Even on a bad night, they can still kick you in the face.
I am not saying you are lying because i could be wrong, but i dont think they were touring then
Old 10-15-2006, 11:29 AM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merkaba
I am not saying you are lying because i could be wrong, but i dont think they were touring then
They were bang in the middle of a North American tour... as you might expect of a band four months after they put out an album, no?
Old 10-15-2006, 03:25 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnhiggins
They were bang in the middle of a North American tour... as you might expect of a band four months after they put out an album, no?
Unless for some reason the guy is confused and thinks that by 9/11 the original poster means 9/11/2001?
Old 10-16-2006, 11:54 PM

Just in case someone hasn't seen this thread... ... its me playing the Tool song, Vicarious, from their 10,000 Days album...(no background music)...
Old 10-18-2006, 04:09 AM

I am just starting to listen to Danny's playing...I am curious...in the drum video what song is he playing with?