DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 03-09-2006, 11:27 AM
helldrummer

Default Re: Danny Carey

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00ch
Very amazing drummer, if anyone can scan any articles in modern drummer or anything that would be excellent. Cannot wait for the new album, regardless of everyone freaking out about the title
what is the title ??
Old 03-09-2006, 11:45 AM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by helldrummer
what is the title ??
10,000 Days or something of the sort. Who cares about a title? Should be out around the start of May, if we're lucky.
Old 03-10-2006, 08:45 AM
Platinum Member

Saw Tool at the Long Beach Arena and it was one of the best rock shows I've ever seen. Right up there with Dream Theatre and Liquid Tension. The whole mysticism thing kinda reminds me of Blue Oyster Cult. Tongues planted firmly in cheeks. They are, after all, entertainers also. And sometimes talent alone won't get you to the top (or anywhere close to it). Danny Carey does seem to have quite an interest in the quantum physics/eastern meditational arts. Not a bad thing. Certainly he's one of the best rock drummers out there right now.
Old 03-10-2006, 09:02 AM
Pioneer Member

many don't realise what you have in Danny Carey...A very unique drummer, who will be talked about by (drummers and non drummers) for years and years after he is long gone...I can't wait for the new album.
Old 03-10-2006, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g00ch
Very amazing drummer, if anyone can scan any articles in modern drummer or anything that would be excellent. Cannot wait for the new album, regardless of everyone freaking out about the title

He should be in modern drummer in next months issue

"In talking to Danny on Monday night (while he was in Australia), I got the distinct impression that the guys had done a LOT of interviews for the foreign press, which means... lots more album reviews. Also, prior to leaving on the promo tour, I know the band members did interviews/photo shoots for several magazines, including GUITAR WORLD, REVOLVER, and MODERN DRUMMER, so look for those on the news stands in the coming days (April?)."
Old 03-11-2006, 02:42 AM

Very cool, looking forward to it
Old 03-11-2006, 03:14 AM
Pioneer Member

Tool is scheduled to release a new album this Spring, or at least thats what Ive heard.
Old 03-11-2006, 08:20 AM

May 2nd is the date, I was wondering if anyone has any tom combinations that Carey does transcribed, or could transcribe any, they are really hard to get just by ear, theres not a drum book for tool out or anything is there??
Old 04-10-2006, 03:52 PM

I love Danny's Drumming.

I watched the video in that first link, and synced up lateralis on winamp and with the media player volume down. hahah so awesome..
Old 04-11-2006, 03:38 AM

Danny Carey is an amazing drummer. Definitely one of the best out there right now.
Old 04-11-2006, 04:33 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brittc89
Tool is scheduled to release a new album this Spring, or at least thats what Ive heard.
10,000 days is the name of the album. doesn't seem very toolesque but hey.
Old 04-11-2006, 04:36 AM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

I believe we're about six days out from the first single off the new album hitting US rock radio. So, keep your ears peeled I suppose...
Old 04-11-2006, 07:55 AM
Pioneer Member

i've only recently became interested in tool just because i didn't think much of them at first, until i heard sober which was a few days ago. That song is awesome! Danny Carey is a great drummer and fits the music he plays too very well.
Old 04-13-2006, 09:33 AM

does any one know any drum books he suggest to buy? is any of his stuff tabbed or written out? email me at d0hnnyl3v1n3@yahoo.com. thanx
Old 04-13-2006, 09:42 AM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahnny44
does any one know any drum books he suggest to buy? is any of his stuff tabbed or written out? email me at d0hnnyl3v1n3@yahoo.com. thanx
I believe Danny regularly works out of the Wilcoxon book ("The All-American Drummer"). Other than that... There was a transcription of the solo from 46&2 in Modern Drummer some years ago (can't remember the exact issue, sorry!).
Old 04-13-2006, 03:50 PM

No doubt Danny is very skilled and plays very well for Tool's music, but I'm hearing differring opinions about whether this is their attempt at humor or in fact he/they might actually be taking themselves too seriously. I seem to be more inclined towards the latter especially based on this quote from his bio on DW:

Danny recommends as a device of protection and containment a thorough study and utilization of the underlying geometry of the Temple of Solomon for anyone purchasing their next record.

I'm actually considering perusing over that blueprint when I grab my next cup of joe. Seriously, how much devotion is expected from their followers?
Old 04-13-2006, 05:10 PM

If you read their website lately you'll find that they partake in some SERIOUS acid activities.

Might be the explanation some of you are looking for, but then again it might be completely irrelevant.
Old 04-30-2006, 11:05 PM

This guy is simply amazing. His timing and the way he fills the pocket with his groove. He is very precise with his drumming what i mean by that is some drummers you hear it sounds a little ragged around the edges but Danny is very crisp with his accents and stick strokes spaced perfectly. Some drummers sound as if their fills were accidental not that they dont sound good, just not on Danny's level if anyone else gets what im trying to say. But I will admit I find him to be a little odd!!
Old 05-01-2006, 03:29 AM

No offense to you guys, because you all seem pretty level-headed since many of you are musicians yourselves, but I can't stand a lot of Tool fans. The example someone posted earlier about how a fan walked away from him because he lacked a certain "understanding" of Tool is ridiculous, yet an important example to be made. Anyone that can simply learn to love a band and their songs already develops their own "understanding". The Tool fanbase scares me. I skimmed through the "Toolnavy" forums a few days ago reading comments being made about their upcoming album, and I've gotta say, it was ridiculous, how seriously they take every little aspect of the band and any little thing related to them.

That being said... Danny Carey himself is extremely talented from a technical standpoint, but it only seems to be when he's in Tool. I've heard some of his work in other music and it just doesn't strike me as being anything nearly as unique. Which does say a lot about the chemistry between the four men in Tool, but I can't say it does much for me when I'm listening to see if I can figure out what all the fuss is about outside of Carey's elite drumming skills.

On the other hand, while his work is outstanding, a lot of Tool songs sound very very similar -- this includes Danny's style. And it gets boring after a while. It's almost as if this guy is geared more towards being a technical drummer over anything else, which has its strengths and weaknesses. I'm not knocking his skills at all, he's one of a kind and there's no debating that.

My favorite drummer from the 90's on is Jimmy Chamberlin. He doesn't sound like Danny Carey, but hey, he sounds like Jimmy Chamberlin, so that's good enough for me. I like Jimmy because he doesn't have to do math problems and study all kinds of obscure things to sound the way that he does -- though he still does invest a lot of time into figuring out many ways to integrate different kinds of jazzy rhythms on top of rock while keeping things fluid. Not to mention, be it the Pumpkins, Zwan, or his own Jimmy Chamberlin Complex, he stays on top of his drumming. Honestly, it's hard to compare Chamberlin and Carey anyway, because they're both so different yet amazing in their own way. Pert, Carey and Chamberlin are among the best out there right now in my opinion.
Old 05-01-2006, 11:52 AM

Opiate was raw and in your face
Undertow was refined but still rocked out...it was also a little darker
Aenima was revolutionary and it had a killer edge to it
Lateralus was deep and beautiful
Danny gets two huge thumbs up from me :D xoxoxox
Old 05-01-2006, 12:15 PM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Gish06, great post.

In defence of Danny's non-technical playing, it's worth checking out some of the things he's done which haven't required monster chops. Tool's covers of "No Quarter" and the Peach song "You Lied" are fairly straight-ahead monster rock playing, as was Danny's playing on Green Jello's "Three Little Pigs".

He's a great all-around rock drummer. I just think that in Tool he has to cover a lot of ground to make up for Adam Jones, who is a rather limited guitarist...
Old 05-01-2006, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnhiggins
Gish06, great post.

In defence of Danny's non-technical playing, it's worth checking out some of the things he's done which haven't required monster chops. Tool's covers of "No Quarter" and the Peach song "You Lied" are fairly straight-ahead monster rock playing, as was Danny's playing on Green Jello's "Three Little Pigs".
So Danny Carey was in Green Jelly?My friends always told me him and Maynard were both in that band but I never believed them.

"16th notes...WHOOOOOH I like that" - Bernard "Pretty" Purdie
Old 05-01-2006, 10:27 PM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by russcat
So Danny Carey was in Green Jelly?My friends always told me him and Maynard were both in that band but I never believed them.
Yeah, that's Maynard doing the "Not by the hairs on my chinny-chin-chin!" line.

I believe Adam Jones was involved with costume design or something similar too.
Old 05-07-2006, 09:36 AM

Has anyone given tools new album 10,000 days a listen? Some more great drumming by master Carey. My favorite track so far is #5 "the pot". Love the drum part.
Old 05-07-2006, 10:07 AM
Gold Member

He's got a cover and an interview in the latest rhythm. I had no idea he doesnt record to a click.
Old 05-07-2006, 07:46 PM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopCat
He's got a cover and an interview in the latest rhythm. I had no idea he doesnt record to a click.
I think it would be really hard though to be able to play to a click to a tool song. All the time signature changes and all.
Old 05-08-2006, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummerguydrew
Has anyone given tools new album 10,000 days a listen? Some more great drumming by master Carey. My favorite track so far is #5 "the pot". Love the drum part.
Great album from a drums point of view. Danny is always incredible to listen to, but it seems to me Tool are running out of ideas. 10,000 Days sounds way too similar to Lateralus, to the point were it almost sounds like a Lateralus B sides. Too much ambience compared to solid sound. Were they pushed to put it out too soon?
Don't get me wrong. I love the album and Tool are one of my top favourite bands, but I am disappointed by comparison to the last two studio releases. Maybe I had my hopes up too high...
Old 05-08-2006, 09:52 AM

I just recently started listening to Tool, and now i really like them.

It's cool how Danny can play pretty simple, non-fancy beats (like in Schism) that sound great. I also really like his use of toms.

I'm gonna listen to 10,000 days later on, i hope it lives up to my expectations...
Old 05-11-2006, 06:30 PM

I love the drumming on Vicarious.
Old 05-11-2006, 07:19 PM

New TOOL CD came out a few days ago..

Stayed out till 12:01AM to buy the new CD..
Now that my friends - is devotion.

I couldn't be happier with the CD or Danny Careys drumming..

I love his double bass patterns. :D
Old 05-11-2006, 09:35 PM

I think the new cd is really good...

except for a few songs that aren't really songs, more fill ups :s

My favorite songs are Right in two, and Vicarious.

And yeah, Danny's drumming once again is great...
Old 05-13-2006, 08:24 PM

for those wondering (or if you care) what 10,000 days stands for. well divide 10,000 by 365 (days in a year, duh) and you get 27. 27 years represents the time that his mother (Judith Marie) was paralyzed, until she died. she was paralyzed for 27 years. there are 2 very deep songs on there that are very, very good.

overall, i think as someone mentioned earlier, it does resemble that of a lateralus b side feel. i find the songs to be just "okay" not real earth shattering like that of lateralus. listen to "right in two" it does have some very great drum fills by DC. it seems almost that Danny didn't experiment too much on this cd like he did on lateralus. either way, he's better than all of us peons,lol. me anyway.
Old 05-14-2006, 07:24 PM

There is a study on the breakdown of Danny Carey's 5/8 part on Schism here. It is kind of goes into other variations. Anyway, Jeff is funny dude.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghNcpvqmskY
Old 05-14-2006, 08:36 PM
Pioneer Member

I'm sure some of you are aware that Danny drums for another band full timeó the Pigmy Love Circus. This is some straight up in-your-face rock n' roll. Danny's drumming on their most recent album, "The Power of Beef" is very aggressive. In recent posts, Danny's potential as a rock drummer has been doubted. I suggest you all check out the Pigmys, and should any of you already know them, you know what I'm talking about. Go here: www.pigmylovecircus.com

As for 10,000 Days, I think it's another great album put out by Tool. Everyone's knocking it off because it's different. Everyone had way too much expectation for this album. Just listen through the whole thing and you'll realize it's another perfectly flowing album by these four musicians. It's beautifully crafted, and each band member experiments with new ideas: Adam with the voicebox, Maynard with his falsetto, Danny with his electronics, and Justin with his ever-complicated bass lines.
Old 05-15-2006, 05:16 AM

Precise and mind-boggling. I think that sums it up. Whoever doubts him is either deaf or jealous. And, BTW, for those who like to focus on sound, I have never heard a live kit sound as good as Danny Carey with Tool; at least not in the "Rock" genre.
Old 05-15-2006, 05:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnnabdrummer
for those wondering (or if you care) what 10,000 days stands for. well divide 10,000 by 365 (days in a year, duh) and you get 27. 27 years represents the time that his mother (Judith Marie) was paralyzed, until she died. she was paralyzed for 27 years. there are 2 very deep songs on there that are very, very good.
That's really interesting. I am not too sure whether you are refering to Maynard or Danny however there is an A Perfect Circle song named Judith which I now assume would be about the above situation (among other things..). The song is off Mer De Nom and was the first single in Australia.
Old 05-15-2006, 05:47 AM

Well, he's a big Bozzio-ite; as am I.

He's one of my favorite metal drummers. Everything this guy does is solid. Love Tool, and I would love to see him do a side-project with other talented musicians.
Old 05-15-2006, 07:20 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAnalogKid
Well, he's a big Bozzio-ite; as am I.

He's one of my favorite metal drummers. Everything this guy does is solid. Love Tool, and I would love to see him do a side-project with other talented musicians.

I've only heard a few songs but I really like what I hear...They were at the MD Fest this year.

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...endID=19805851
Old 05-16-2006, 02:04 AM

I think 10,000 Days is a brilliant album. At first listen I was not sure whether it could compete with Lateralus and Aenema but upon further listens it is apparent that 5 years of work did go into the album, and Ill be unravelling parts of it for the next 5 years. Jambi is a highlight for me - the polyrhythms on this album are very subtle imo - but are still very layered and definately Tool. I love it!
Old 05-16-2006, 03:31 PM
Silver Member

Does anyone know much about the electronics that he's using? It lists them in the Rhythm magazine article but I'm not too clear, since I know he used to use the Simmons (pads at least) gear, but I read on his website and various other places on the net that he was developing some new pads and gear. I read in the Rhythm article that he's using a Mac G5 for samples... what about the new pads? and brain? or is the G5 acting as a brain?

The guy's a total genius when it comes to his drumming, it really baffles me, but learning his songs has been a big step in both my own playing and my own writing, it's helped me no end. I play in a band playing what can only be described as "euro-metal" (think Arkangel/ early Caliban/ Heaven Shall Burn) but I really want this band to stand out so I'm trying to incorporate strange time sigs and rhythms and beats etc... I think it could work. I just want it to be something different and so far Danny Carey, besides Mike Portnoy (I'm not that big a fan of Dream Theater, the vocals put me off), has been the biggest influence on my playing. Fantastic!!

And, regarding 10,000 Days, I think it'll be a grower. It took me nearly 3 years to fully appreciate Lateralus, because I was still reeling from how good Aenima was when I got into that (admittedly, it wasn't until 1999 that I first got into Tool), now I fully appreciate Lateralus and I still pick it up and listen to Parabola or Ticks and Leeches or the title track, now I'll go through a similar process with 10,000 Days. There's obviously the really instant songs, like Vicarious, Jambi, The Pot, but I think it'll take a while to get into, say, Wings (Parts 1 and 2 together) and Rosetta Stoned and properly love them. Probably won't really get them until the next Tool record comes out.

Last edited by altered_beast; 05-16-2006 at 03:44 PM.