DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drummers

Drummers Topic Name = Drummer's Name. Use this forum to discuss the drummers profiled on DrummerWorld

Old 08-14-2005, 08:20 PM

Default Re: Danny Carey

I think pretty much everything he does is perfect. Nobody could be in that band and do it better.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis
I think pretty much everything he does is perfect. Nobody could be in that band and do it better.
exactly, the question is, do you consider yourself a fine replacement, would you accept? do you think you got what it takes?
Old 08-15-2005, 06:01 AM

Yeah, I think I could do it, but it wouldn't be nearly as good. He plays almost mathematically, like each fill is a logical deduction for which there can be no other solution, kind of like Neil Peart. I'm a much more emotional player, like Keith Moon. Maybe everything isn't as clean, but I put my heart and soul into it. I'm afraid my groove falters before his, as well as my chops, understanding of 4-way independance, and overall speed. Maybe I'll be as good someday, but not now.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:42 AM
Stu_Strib

Ok, don't kill me here, but is there anyone else who doesn't get Tool?

I dunno, it does nothing for me, but maybe its over my head. Or maybe I have the opposite reaction to it and think the people who are really into just don't have any framework to compare it to?

Its somewhat original, and yes at times complex, I just can't put my finger on what it is I don't like.

Maybe the Modern Drummer 2005 dvd will change my mind, but I've never been overwhelmed by Carey or Tool. Maybe I need to see more (well, considering I've only seen what's on drummerworld).
Old 08-16-2005, 03:46 AM

is danny carey on the MD2005 DVD?!?
Old 08-16-2005, 03:52 AM
Pioneer Member

the footage from DW does no justice for Carey...It is such a poor example of what he can actualy do on the kit...I've always loved Tool, and the way they structure all their music...It's a breath of fresh air, from all the usual mainstream garbage...They are a very musical, dark, and powerfull band and thats what i like about them...It seems like most of their songs always build up and progress into the giant orgy of sound and fury, and it just hits me in a fantastic way...

FYI--Tool will not be at Modern Drummer Festival 2005...It will be Danny's side project Volto...From what I've heard on Myspace.com, they are gonna friggn rock the house down...All amazing musicians...

To add...There is almost no video you can get of Danny playing On-line or in stores...I have a bootleg from the Lateralus tour (Bakersfeild. CA) with pretty damn good picture and sound...He is nothing short of amazing on the kit live...
Old 08-16-2005, 03:54 AM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu_Strib
Ok, don't kill me here, but is there anyone else who doesn't get Tool?

Its somewhat original, and yes at times complex, I just can't put my finger on what it is I don't like.
I get it, and I also get why you might not. It's all very samey. They've got a sound of their own, but if you're not into it then... well.. you're probably not going to be. Kind of like Pink Floyd.

As for people being into it not having a framework for understanding other stuff... I don't think so. There's plenty of people with obvious understanding and experience of a whole bunch of other styles who enjoy them. I think it's probably more that what they have to say isn't a message that really resonates with you, which is fairly understandable...
Old 08-16-2005, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toteman2
To add...There is almost no video you can get of Danny playing On-line or in stores...I have a bootleg from the Lateralus tour (Bakersfeild. CA) with pretty damn good picture and sound...He is nothing short of amazing on the kit live...
Is that bootleg on VHS? or is it on your computer.

also, have you seen his video clips on his website? if anyone wants to see some small additional clips of drumside view of danny playing some tool songs, go here:

http://www.dannycarey.org

then, click on the links in this order: Enter --> Philosophy --> Education --> Cyberclinic
Old 08-16-2005, 05:01 AM
Pioneer Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by illy
Is that bootleg on VHS? or is it on your computer.
It's a VHS i got off Ebay...I hope someday they get a DVD of live performances together...
Old 08-16-2005, 06:27 AM

That is so COOL!! The triplets on Forty Six and Two? Jeez, so fast!
Old 08-16-2005, 08:34 AM
Pioneer Member

At the end of Danny's solo, when it climaxes to his insane snare/tom/bass filló is that the Gadd-Triplet fill with added double-bass notes? That's how I've always played it.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis
That is so COOL!! The triplets on Forty Six and Two? Jeez, so fast!
Man I have been learning that song since i started playin 8 years ago...but i can proudly say i can drum that song without errors! Tool are an awesome band. Danney an awesome drummer. 46 and 2 is easy compared with crazyness such as Triad or Aenema.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:11 AM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky_McPot
Man I have been learning that song since i started playin 8 years ago...but i can proudly say i can drum that song without errors! Tool are an awesome band. Danney an awesome drummer. 46 and 2 is easy compared with crazyness such as Triad or Aenema.
You reckon? I can play Aenema pretty cleanly - or rather, could last time I was asked to by a band two years ago - but 46&2 would take a fair bit of work to get down. Triad is pretty hard with that syncopated opposing time thing on the kick drum during the breakdown.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnhiggins
- but 46&2 would take a fair bit of work to get down. Triad is pretty hard with that syncopated opposing time thing on the kick drum during the breakdown.
46 & 2 isnt really hard, the hardest part to master is the solo, but once you know where he is going with the drums its so easy to play. Man ok thinkin about it i think the hardest song i can think of right now is... Eulogy
Old 08-16-2005, 12:46 PM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoky_McPot
46 & 2 isnt really hard, the hardest part to master is the solo, but once you know where he is going with the drums its so easy to play. Man ok thinkin about it i think the hardest song i can think of right now is... Eulogy
Heh, again, the hardest bit of that is the 3/16 over 4/4 thing and that's actually not that tricky if you learn it slow. Lateralus is arguably harder, the opposing time bit in the middle of that needs four sequential 16ths on the bass drum while opening and closing the hats - and the verse is pretty damn weird too with all those roaming toms. The Grudge isn't exactly easy either.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:29 PM

I found videos of danny carey on his website today. his smothness on schism blows me away! everything that man plays is incredable! www.dannycarey.com then enter and go to philosophy and go to education then go to cyberclinic and there is 3 videos to watch. The videos are short but very good!
Old 08-16-2005, 11:41 PM
Stu_Strib

Hmmmm....still not seeing it. I would hope there is something better than those 3 videos.
Old 08-17-2005, 01:56 AM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

There is. He looks and sounds like a big hairy basher on those vids. Listen to the CDs, the detail in what he plays is pretty astounding and he's shockingly tight. Alternatively, wait for something decently recorded to show up.
Old 08-17-2005, 02:10 AM
Stu_Strib

any suggested tracks? I worked through schism when it came out in modern drummer, and yeah , that ending is pretty much impossible.

I'm currently transcribing a song called Stink Fist I know nothing about. I like the groove, and it seems easier than schism.
Old 08-17-2005, 03:03 AM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu_Strib
any suggested tracks? I worked through schism when it came out in modern drummer, and yeah , that ending is pretty much impossible.

I'm currently transcribing a song called Stink Fist I know nothing about. I like the groove, and it seems easier than schism.
OK, track suggestions for cool drumming:

Obvious difficult/flashy stuff: Solo on "46&2", fast endings to "Schism" and "The Grudge" (from about 8:00 onwards), ludicrous big-kit 7/4 stuff on "Ticks and Leeches", fills on "Sober".

Things I like more on a musical or tricksy front, mostly for phrasing or one of his regular tricks where he leaves the snare out of an intense section and then brings it back in to emphasise the release:

* "jimmy" from Aenima for nice control of space and odd times, gets more fun as things progress, particularly from around 3:00 onwards.

* "Pushit" has a whole lot to recommend it, although it's extremely long. The percussive section in the middle is an interesting use of drum electronics. The opening 12/8 groove has some nice hi-hat turnaround stuff. The instrumental break starting around 6:25 has some cute phrasing. The ending has some cool fills too, particularly from around 9:00 or so right up to the end.

* There's a lot of neat drum stuff on "The Patient" from Lateralus, which I think is otherwise a fairly average song. All the hi-hat stuff during the opening two minutes is pretty cute. And I really like the phrasing from around 5:30 through 6:15 or so.

* "Reflection" is nice for a big-kit groove, and also the whole Tim Alexander-style "build it until it explodes" approach. Sounds a lot like "Moving Pictures" era Rush with those samples though.. And when he finally breaks groove at around 7:25 it's very effective.
Old 08-17-2005, 04:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Evil
I found videos of danny carey on his website today. his smothness on schism blows me away! everything that man plays is incredable! www.dannycarey.com then enter and go to philosophy and go to education then go to cyberclinic and there is 3 videos to watch. The videos are short but very good!
uhh.. i posted that a couple days ago. look up a bit.
Old 08-26-2005, 07:48 PM

danny carey- tool, pigmy love circus
josh freese- a perfect circle

danny carey is the man! he's (in my opinion) one of the most talented drummers out there. his excellent 4-way coordination is unreal. sure there's fast drummers out there, but its mainly his coordination on top of speed that just make him unreal.
Old 08-26-2005, 08:13 PM
Pioneer Member

very very talented drummer, but not a fan of his music.
Old 08-26-2005, 09:14 PM
Thinshells

I like some of Tool's music, not all of it. It can be an acquired taste.

Danny is a hard hitter. He was obviously like a kid in a candy store when he played Jeff Ocheltree's Paiste Bronze kit. That was refreshing to see.

He also has a drum kit and playing concept going on, and that makes him great. Even if Tool disbanded today, Danny would be in high demand for gigs elsewhere. He isn't limited to the simple, and can deliver the power. He is not far removed from the late, great John Bonham. They seem to be a kindred spirit.

Danny rocks!
Old 08-27-2005, 01:58 AM
Senior Consultant

I can say with 100% accuracy that DC never played with A Perfect Circle.
Danny Carey got me into drumming, back in the day, which actually isn't all that long ago. I really love his playing- I think I've gotten over it now, but I still listen back to Aenima and lateralus especially from time to time. I am looking forward to the new album as well.
Old 08-27-2005, 08:13 AM

Danny Carey is awesome. In Tool, he shows he can pump it out hard (e.g. Lateralis, or Lateralus? hmm), or play a more soothing sound on the drums (e.g. Reflection). Along with Mike Portnoy, he really is a breathe of fresh air in drumming. I will admit though, Dream theater and TOOL's music does allow for much more creative drumming, than, say, to, uhhhhhh.....Green Day. But still, I hardly doubt that some one like Tre Cool (crap name as well) could be as creative as Carey or Portnoy. Here's to Danny, Portnoy, and to TOOL's new album...coming....soon...ish..maybe.
Old 08-30-2005, 06:02 PM

does anyone have any video's of danny playing that isnt the one from drummer world or the ones from his site?!!?
Old 08-31-2005, 08:33 PM
Ash

I have fallen out with Danny Carey anyway.He isn't on the new modern drummer festival dvd because he didn't want to be taped,so I hear.He was alright being taped for jeff ocheltree's video.I have liked TOOL for 10 years and the only footage of Danny playing available is 3 minutes on the ocheltree video and about 4 minutes worth on his site.Any chance of a U.K. clinic Danny????? £300 for a return flight from the good ol' U.S. of A,£100 on accommodation and you can have some dinner round mine.Whats more,you can hold the clinic in our practice room. What do ya say? 2 days out of your time to make alot of U.K. TOOL fans overwhelmingly happy. Go on,I dare you. Balls to the legal implications.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:11 AM
Pioneer Member

Yeah, Danny and his bandmates have always been very big on keeping themselves out of the limelight...They prefer the music be about the music, and not themselves...Though it chaps my ass that i don't have alot of video of one of my favorite drummers to watch and learn, i can't help but respect his position on this...In an indrustry where 95% of those who are in it want their faces and ego's exposed to the fullest, Danney and Tool prefer not to get caught up in that mess for the sake of not losing sight of what they are doing...
Old 09-01-2005, 02:22 AM
mediocrefunkybeat

You guys say Josh Freese plays on APC albums, and I don't doubt that for a second; but looking at the liner notes to 'A Perfect Circle' I noticed the name: Tim 'Herb' Alexander (of Primus). Maybe he guested on a couple of tracks. Either way, very unconventional percussion on APC. I personally prefer Tool over APC, but both bands are excellent.
Old 09-01-2005, 02:58 AM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediocrefunkybeat
You guys say Josh Freese plays on APC albums, and I don't doubt that for a second; but looking at the liner notes to 'A Perfect Circle' I noticed the name: Tim 'Herb' Alexander (of Primus). Maybe he guested on a couple of tracks. Either way, very unconventional percussion on APC. I personally prefer Tool over APC, but both bands are excellent.
Tim Alexander was the original drummer of APC, he played with them during their early live gigs. He left before the record was complete, and was replaced by Josh Freese. On the album he only plays on "The Hollow", which is my favourite bit of drumming on the album. No offence to Josh Freese, his stuff is great too - I just like that track more :)
Old 09-22-2005, 04:23 AM

i just recently got into tool a couple months ago and im completley blown away. before that i was into dream theater and i thought there were one of the most amazing thing ever(still do), but tool just takes you out somewhere far away. Danny careyy would have to be in the the top 5 rock drummers ever. right up there with peart, bonham, and moon. hes so techincal and powerfull. his drumsound that he achieved is right up there next to bonhams. His drumming sort of tells a story. he plays in a way that he will backdown and then just come in so fluently and effortles. he makes everything seem so easy in a wierd kind of way. when you listen to it you know its awsome but you cant really respect it until you try to play it.. i figure him as the john bonham of today. hes just a really powerfull player. he seems to put everything in the right place. not to flashy not to simple
Old 09-23-2005, 04:01 AM

anyone ever hear that song "divorced" that tool did with the melvins? it's like half of each band put together into one whole. a badass song, but an incredibly badass drum battle between dale crover and danny carey. i'd really suggest tracking that one down over any mp3 example of danny's playing (hell, two birds with one stone cuz of dale crover!)...

another aspect about his drumming that often goes overlooked is the electronic sounds he incorporates into the music. like the breakdown in the middle of "h" is a pretty good example of his tastes and independance. even better, the layering of rhythms in the intro to eulogy. yep, that's all danny (some must be drum machines or somethin tho). "hooker with a penis" is just a blast, one of the more powerful examples of his playing. the cover of led zep's "no quarter" is a good one, as well as "third eye," from aenima. too many details to really explain, but if you're familiar with him you know what i'm talking about.

as for transcriptions, check out www.mxtabs.net. most aren't entirely accurate, i can fulfill any transcribing requests you want....
Old 09-29-2005, 01:30 AM
Pioneer Member

Man... I'm listenting to Aenima right now, and its just truly coming home as to how precise, yet fast, this man is. God he's awesome...
Old 09-30-2005, 08:40 AM

There is one other "prog" drummer who I've heard that plays with as much feeling and emotion as Danny Carey, and that's Gavin Harrison. Both men nevery cease to continually amaze me. I am listening to the Volto stuff right now, and am currently in the process of picking my jaw back up off of the floor. Holy CRAP, I knew he was going to have chops, but...!!!!!!!!!

His hands are so fast...so clean.....so....so....*faints*
Old 10-02-2005, 08:47 AM

Man I love Danny Carey. I think he has some real cool stuff with Tool. I hope their new album comes out soon. I've been really getting into him and Tool. I like the way he has such good coordination with his double bass, but still jams on his h-hats. Him and Tool are some of the greatest things drumming has created. My favorite song of Tool's is "Prison Sex", probably.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fkleiner
yep, that's all danny (some must be drum machines or somethin tho).
Really? I thought that Adam was at least in there a little, doing the melody....or whatever you'd call it. ;) The thing that sounds like a duck.

Some really nice over the bar/conflicting time work there, too.
Old 10-04-2005, 11:27 AM
GONE MUCH TOO EARLY!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Det_Nosnip
Really? I thought that Adam was at least in there a little, doing the melody....or whatever you'd call it. ;) The thing that sounds like a duck.

Some really nice over the bar/conflicting time work there, too.
The thing that sounds like a duck is Maynard with a megaphone, if you listen carefully you can hear he's actually singing a sustained note the whole time and then pulling those loud notes out by pressing the megaphone button.

Adam is playing too, he's doing the:

Code:
1e+a2e+a3e+a4e+a
xxxx  xxxx  xxxx
... type rhythm (can't remember if that's exactly it). He plays it on the guitar behind the bridge, if I recall. It's most certainly not all Danny.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:13 PM
NaturalRaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by cicatrizoo
I'm really suprised we haven't seen a Tool Dvd released. I hear there's one from the Lateralus Tour in the works
This has been an ongoing soap-opera of confusion since 2001. I am a member of T.A. (ToolArmy) and there has been "official" releases stating that there is going to be one, and there has been "official" releases stating that there is not going to be one. "Officially" it was supposed to be released in November in 2003, then it was said to be released in August 2004, and the latest news is......the bands management and label are not sure about releasing a DVD becuase of concerns that its not going to be profitable.

Anyways...did you get to see the Lateralus tour? There is not going to be much to show on that DVD becuase you can hardly see the band with the way the stage show was. It was all lights and digital images projected onto 3 screens with no spotlights on TOOL's members. They pretty much played in the dark, and all you could see was thier sillouettes. Why yes...the band was visual a little bit....It might not be a good thing to release onto DVD. That was a great show by the way...I loved every minute of it and saw them 3 times on that tour, but you have to admit....it might not come off well on DVD...cuz the show kinda goes against what DVD is about...(Showing the band on T.V.),,,right?

Lets just face it.....its impossible to ever guess what Tool is going to do or not going to do. In my opinon....they are not a band that cares about a DVD release or matters like that. When they create new music for another album....they will do thier parts indvidually, and when they all agree that they all like what the others have shown one-another through sent email files......then they will decide to get into the studio. Plus..every member has side projects that they appear to be very busy with. There have been "official releases" around about a new CD for the last year. Then there are "official releases" saying that now its a unsure thing.

As much as I love TOOL and Danny Carey....they are like ghost....and when they re-appear...everyone will know. Until then...we have to continue to love the stuff that they have already released. I know I am satisfied with everything they have done.......but I would love to see whats next...cuz we know its gonna be great.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:31 PM

i wasn't implying every sound in the intro was danny... i just mean all the percussion sounds including cymbals and pads and stuff in the beginning, then he brings in a hi hat rhythm, then brings in the bass drum, then congas, then hi hat left foot, then snare and everything else. very nice.