DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 08-15-2011, 10:23 PM

Default Alesis Performance Pad Pro

Any one seen/played one of these? Looking into getting it to try out adding some electronic drums to my acoustic setup. I know I know I know. I should get one of the rolands or the yamaha but the price on the alesis is just way more intriguing right now. I love the roland spd-s but it's outdated so I had already made up my mind to hold out for a new version whenever it comes out or the price on the current version drops significantly. This new alesis seems to be the regular performance pad with an added built in sequencer and like I said, for $299 it's obtainable enough to try it out! Any ideas?
Old 08-17-2011, 12:24 AM

Default Re: Alesis Performance Pad Pro

I bought it, it is immidiately borowed to my friend because he need this in recording studio, i bought it because it has alesis sr 18 drum machine incorporated and i needed some sounds for dj and percussion duo...., and for practicing, but also for some groove -ideas to record it.
All i can tell you it is nice pad , but if you want to add kick trigger do not buy this, you have alesis perc pad for less $ ...
Alesis performance pad has footswitch (on/Of) possibility, but no dynamic pedal work!!
I am waiting also for some reviews from other people and experience with performance pad pro pad because i didnt use many e drums before, so people we are waiting ...
Ps:It has no Usb port, no sampling possibility or?
Old 08-17-2011, 02:59 PM

Not too concerned about adding other pads to it, at the moment anyway. Having a usb for sampling would've been a cool feature though. How's the sequencer? Can you create live loops with it?
Old 09-02-2011, 02:14 AM
Gold Member

There's a reason the SPD-S hasn't been updated. It's not outdated. It's awesome. The sounds are better than the most recent Alesis, you can add your own sounds, you can do live recording and looping, etc. Most pros that use pads use the SPD-S for a reason. And you can get them used for about $100 more than the price of the Alesis.

www.rossidrums.com
MySpace: rossidrums
Old 09-02-2011, 07:25 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchattr View Post
There's a reason the SPD-S hasn't been updated. It's not outdated. It's awesome. The sounds are better than the most recent Alesis, you can add your own sounds, you can do live recording and looping, etc. Most pros that use pads use the SPD-S for a reason. And you can get them used for about $100 more than the price of the Alesis.

I agree. I own an SPD-S.

It's a bit maddening that Roland hasn't done any upgrading but the business axiom "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" seems to have worked for them. If they weren't still selling SPD-S's then Roland would probably make a move.

The sampling feature is a huge part of this instrument. The Alesis gear has some great features but the main feature sound wise is that you get the sounds that come on other drum machine products.

With a CF card I can take some of the best sounding samples out there from VI packages like EZ/Superior Drummer, Battery, or any high end collection of sounds used on DAW software and import them for live use on my SPD-S.

I believe for the extra money the Roland is still a better way to go although the Alesis seems quite useful.

My .02

Jim

Jim Martin Music
Old 09-09-2011, 02:03 AM

They haven't improved the SPD-S due to the fact that Roland is relying on the SPD-30 to replace it. Since the SPD-30 has a USB slot with which you can save your sounds instead of the outdated SD card slot the SPD-S is using, it is only a matter of time before the SPD-S is no more. I would suspect within a year or so from now. ;)

Alesis' Performance Pad is cool but limited. The sounds are nowhere near Rolands. (SPD-S or SPD-30) Roland will require you to spend more time sniffing around in their manuals, but the pay-off is so much greater! :D