DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 08-15-2011, 06:15 AM

Default heads for deepest sounding drums?

What heads would everyone recommend to get the deepest fatest sounding drums, kick/toms?
I have a maple kit and would like to do all I can to give it more of a bubinga mahogany sound, i get that this is impossible but anything helps
Old 08-15-2011, 06:31 AM
Platinum Member

Default Re: heads for deepest sounding drums?

If it were me I'd roll with a single ply batter and reso, tuned low-ish (above JAW though....personally I hear nothing pleasing about JAW tuning) and to the same pitch.

"Deep" really is determined by the drum too though. There's just no way to get a 12x8 tom to sound like a 14x10......regardless of the heads and tuning.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbdd View Post
What heads would everyone recommend to get the deepest fatest sounding drums, kick/toms?
I have a maple kit and would like to do all I can to give it more of a bubinga mahogany sound, i get that this is impossible but anything helps
For toms, I'd suggest clear Remo Pinstripes tuned low on the batter. And for the resonant's, clear ambassadors tuned to the same pitch as the batter. For snare and kick idk. That's all very personal, but I'll suggest some of my favorites. For snare: Remo Emperor Coated X, Remo Coated Powerstroke 3, Evans ST Dry Coated, Evans Genera Dry Coated. For kick: Remo Clear Pinstripe, Remo Powersonic (the bomb) Remo Powerstroke, Evans EMAD, Evans Emad 2, Aquarian Superkick 2.

All of these are great heads and I hope this helps you get closer to the sound you want!

Last edited by The Scorpio; 08-16-2011 at 01:44 AM. Reason: Needed more clarity.
Old 08-15-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Scorpio View Post
For toms, I'd suggest clear Remo Pinstripes tuned low on the batter. And clear ambassadors tuned to the same pitch as the batter. For snare and kick idk. That's all very personal, but I'll suggest some of my favorites. For snare: Remo Emperor Coated X, Remo Coated Powerstroke 3, Evans ST Dry Coated, Evans Genera Dry Coated. For kick: Remo Clear Pinstripe, Remo Powersonic (the bomb) Remo Powerstroke, Evans EMAD, Evans Emad 2, Aquarian Superkick 2.
I'd definitely agree with this. I have Ebony Pinstripes on my toms and they sound great. I tune my floor tom low and it sounds much deeper than a 16".
Also, the Aquarian SuperKick II is amazing. Best bass head I've ever used.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:08 PM

Remo fiberskyns can give you a really full tone, and deep if tuned right. They are generally for jazz, but can be pretty rocky if tuned right.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:05 PM
"Uncle Larry"

There are different flavors of deep. For instance, hydraulic heads sound deep, but at the expense of other frequencies. Low tuned heads sound deep, but only from behind the kit. Out front it's all attack and no tone afterwards. Tuned low is OK for micing, but unmiced...your drums will actually sound deeper (in the audience) tuned higher.

Why you ask? Out front, if your drum is tuned on the low side, those low frequencies don't carry that far. If you tighten the head, it won't sound as good from behind the kit, but out front your drums will sound better and deeper trust me. The overtones you hear behind the set aren't nearly as prominent 15 feet away, you get more of the fundamental.

So it depends on what flavor of deep you want. And if you are micing. And how big the room is that you are playing in. The bigger the room (unmiced) the higher tunings sound better in the audience. Unless you muffle your toms, then (unmiced) your sound will die 5 feet in front of your set. (don't muffle!)

So the question is who are you tuning for, you or the audience? Deep sounds come from deep drums generally speaking.
Old 08-17-2011, 08:56 PM
Silver Member

all I can say is Coated emperors over clear ambassadors
sounds absolutely HUGE.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:47 AM

Aquarian performance 2's w/ Power Dots are very deep sounding because they are made for low tunings, but you will sacrifice sustain. I wouldn't say they are dead, but they won't have the sustain of Ambassadors or Emporers. The Superkick 3 is what I am using now on the kick and it's really low and full of controlled boom. ( If that makes any sense.) Hope this helps.
Old 08-18-2011, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectron View Post
sounds absolutely HUGE.
Double triple bonus points. I play that combo and it's definitely my favorite. I'm always trying new heads in the search for "the sound," but I always end up coming back to Emp's over Amb's.
Old 08-18-2011, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
Out front, if your drum is tuned on the low side, those low frequencies don't carry that far.
I agree with your post on the most part, but this statement is untrue. Low frequencies carry the farthest as their sound wave is longer and hence passes through object rather than being stopped by object like high frequency sound waves. It is more the fact that a low tuning equals a loose tuning which therefore hinders the resonance of the head and hence the ability of the head to project out to the crowd. :)
Jackson
Old 10-19-2011, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Unless you muffle your toms, then (unmiced) your sound will die 5 feet in front of your set. (don't muffle!)

So the question is who are you tuning for, you or the audience? Deep sounds come from deep drums generally speaking.
i cant stand muffling !! it ruins the sound of the drum and those amazing tones

i would love to play around in those senarios to hear the diferences infront and behind
cheers heaps for that, i had no idea
Old 10-19-2011, 02:21 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
There are different flavors of deep. For instance, hydraulic heads sound deep, but at the expense of other frequencies. Low tuned heads sound deep, but only from behind the kit. Out front it's all attack and no tone afterwards. Tuned low is OK for micing, but unmiced...your drums will actually sound deeper (in the audience) tuned higher.
Good thought.
Old 10-19-2011, 02:21 PM

thanks all! its been a while since of been on! wish i had seen all these suggestions...
I ended up trying out clear ec2s ( really worried ) but wow after a quick stretch in they really do sound amazing. I was supprised but I had heard some amazing tones coming from some drummers using them
Old 10-21-2011, 02:33 PM
Silver Member

AQUARIAN SUPER 2's

Coated. Best for deep sounding drums.

Sabian AA, Meinl Byzance, Zildjian K
Old 10-21-2011, 02:49 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusMySavior View Post
AQUARIAN SUPER 2's

Coated. Best for deep sounding drums.
I agree with using aquarian but I find all 2 ply to be too dead, a singly ply will give much better sustain. If needed a moon jell or an O ring on the outside edge will remove the higher pitched overtones where as power dots and texture coatings being across the middle of the head remove more of the lower tones.
Old 10-21-2011, 02:54 PM
sticks4drums

REMO CLEAR EMPERORS OVER CLEAR AMBASSADORS!

Seemed like a good idea at the time. :/
Old 10-21-2011, 03:24 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tard View Post
I agree with using aquarian but I find all 2 ply to be too dead, a singly ply will give much better sustain. If needed a moon jell or an O ring on the outside edge will remove the higher pitched overtones where as power dots and texture coatings being across the middle of the head remove more of the lower tones.
The guy asked for heads for the deepest sounding toms. He didn't say anything about sustain.

Besides, the Super 2's have plenty of sustain. Not as much as a 1-ply of course, but they are far from the deadness that pinstripes will give you. They really are an excellent head.

And to the poster above me, Remo Emps over clear Ambs? Surely you can do better than that...

Old 10-21-2011, 05:39 PM
sticks4drums

Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusMySavior View Post
The guy asked for heads for the deepest sounding toms. He didn't say anything about sustain.

Besides, the Super 2's have plenty of sustain. Not as much as a 1-ply of course, but they are far from the deadness that pinstripes will give you. They really are an excellent head.

And to the poster above me, Remo Emps over clear Ambs? Surely you can do better than that...
There is no better baby! Why not start at the top instead of working your way there :)
Old 10-21-2011, 05:59 PM
Platinum Member

"Deep" and "fat" are really subjective terms when talking about sound, and it's important to note and comment on a few truths on drum sound:
- what the drummer hears is NOT what the audience hears. If you tune low and deep, you might be robbing the drums of the sustain they need to carry to the audience, and you might be burying the drums in the mix. I actually tune a bit higher than just-above-wrinkling, to get a good, full tone out of the drum. You know where this is because you get all those great overtones, and the drum rings out with a "boooom" instead of going "boink" or "bump". Tuning too low sounds good behind the kit, but out front your toms sound like someone's beating a paper bag with a stick.
- tuning has as much to do with the sound as the head choice itself. A well-tuned Ambassador can get a deep, full tone, while a badly-tuned Pinstripe can sound horrible.
- technique has some impact (no pun intended) on the sound as well. Are you striking the drum cleanly and fully in the sweet spot on the head, consistently?
- if the drums are miked, everything changes. A good sound guy can tweak extra bass and presence in the house, and make a 10" tom sound like a concert bass drum (well, not quite, but you get the point).

The bottom line: Get a good one-ply or two-ply head, depending on whether you want attack (1-ply) or sustain (2-ply); tune it well, and listen to it from 20 feet in front. You'll be quite amazed.

We could argue about Emperors, Super 2's, and G2s all day, but that's like arguing whether a Honda Accord is better than a Nissan Sentra if you're driving to the supermarket. They'll both get you there.
Old 10-21-2011, 09:55 PM

Guys I have question, I just recently bought a set of ludwig accent , I am a beginner but the heads on this set are horrible , even though I am a beginner I know they sound like crap. They have a boing sound to them on the toms and floor tom , I was thinking of replacing the heads with Remo emperors coated , do you guys know what I should put on the bottom , I like that warm sound I play mostly rock , just want to make these sound really good any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Old 12-02-2011, 03:46 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by getrdone247 View Post
Guys I have question, I just recently bought a set of ludwig accent , I am a beginner but the heads on this set are horrible , even though I am a beginner I know they sound like crap. They have a boing sound to them on the toms and floor tom , I was thinking of replacing the heads with Remo emperors coated , do you guys know what I should put on the bottom , I like that warm sound I play mostly rock , just want to make these sound really good any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
People will say different things on this as well. Generally in the past the vast majority of drummers have used a light weight single ply clear head for the bottom. This could be a Remo Diplomat or Ambassador, or an Evans 300 or G1, or an Aquarian Classic Clear...the list goes on. But others have been saying that they get better results from a thicker head, like a 2-ply coated head, because it gives them more resonance.

I'd say stick with what has worked in the past for you, or if you haven't done this before just get some Remo Ambassadors for the bottom. it won't be too expensive and it will more than likely get you where you want to be.

Old 12-02-2011, 05:06 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectron View Post
sounds absolutely HUGE.
What do you think about coated Emperors over coated Ambassadors?

Old 12-02-2011, 07:06 PM

Location: If I told you, you wouldn't have any idea where it is....

ha! nice visual there.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:00 PM
Silver Member

+1
...what Larryace and alparrot said

there is a reason why a LOT of pro drummers use single ply clear over single ply clear;
tuned well, it sounds good from behind and in front of the kit.

I have come to the conclusion for myself that good sustain and bright "lively"
heads translate better mic'd or un-mic'd. When the band gets playing it's really amazing how much the higher overtones disappear.
Nice bright ringy toms sound excellent out front; they cut and boom - yeah that's where it's at for playing with a band.

You want killer sounding toms just to practice alone you can use something like performance 2's or Fiberskyn's - they have that "studio sound" from behind the kit
very nice for the drummer but as others have said - they really sound dead and lifeless
even as little as 10 feet in front of the kit.

Someone around here once said: "Tune for boom" and I'll have to agree.
Even a wide open kick drum drastically sounds different when the music starts.

I just recently experimented and put fiberskyn ambassadors on my toms and they are definately deep sounding (pretty sweet actually) but I wouldn't use them for anything but practicing alone or in a low volume jazz setting tuned really high...
Old 12-02-2011, 08:48 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Scorpio View Post
Double triple bonus points. I play that combo and it's definitely my favorite. I'm always trying new heads in the search for "the sound," but I always end up coming back to Emp's over Amb's.
Vintage coated emp's over clear ambass. even DeeeePer..lol my new favorite combo.

Bonzolead
Old 12-05-2011, 01:36 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameo View Post
What do you think about coated Emperors over coated Ambassadors?

yes.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:45 PM

Took the day off to goof off. I was reading this dead thread and decided to take my 10 inch Birch Tom and compare all of my heads on it. put all of the heads I could find on the batter side. It was no contest . IMHO my 1ply medium Attack coated head easily beat out my stock UX Remo's (China) clear, Evans EC2 clear, and Evans G Plus frosted and Evans G2. It had better sustain and all around (deeper) sound. Just plain better! The runner up was the Remo UX. The others gave better attack but were more muffled and controlled with 2 plys and control rings etc.

So, want a full deep sound? IMHO you start with a with a single ply head. But hey, I'm half deaf anyway.
Old 12-16-2011, 08:54 PM
Doctor Dirt

Clear Ambers on reso with clear emperiors as batters, Aq. Super Kick One (more bottom than the Two's) as batter and their Regulator as Reso or Evans Reso. is a good one also.'If your live mic'ing place your mic facing a lower quad of the reso. If its internal don't put it deep into the drum near the batter thats for attack. Back it off and keep it in the port hole facing into the batter but off on the lower quad thats where the bottom is. Doc
Old 12-17-2011, 12:07 AM
Platinum Member

Two ply batter heads, tuned to where they rattle the room, give you the deepest, fattest sound. The reso head is subjective to your taste, but sticking with an Ambassador/G1/whatever will be a wise choice. Muffling/coating/rings/stripes/etc. takes away frequencies, and you want as many of them there as possible for the fattest sound. Tuning to JAW might make you think you've achieved a deep sound, but all that translates across the air is the "thap" of the attack.

...this is all what is heard from the player's perspective, though, or from the overheads on the kit. From 10 feet away, though, it's a different story.

My kit: http://drummerworld.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44195
Old 01-04-2012, 04:21 PM

I may have to argue that this is not entirely true. I have a fusion Pearl Export kit and play. I wanted a deeper tom sound but without investing in new standard sized toms. I slapped on some Aquarian Performance II's on the batter and Evans black suede 2 ply on the reso side and I'm able to tune extremely low. My 14" floor tom definitely sounds deeper than my buddies 16", and much cleaner. I do play metal so I like little/no resonance and a quick punchy attack. The sound may or may not be what you are looking for but I have to say this is the best my kit has ever sounded.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
If it were me I'd roll with a single ply batter and reso, tuned low-ish (above JAW though....personally I hear nothing pleasing about JAW tuning) and to the same pitch.

"Deep" really is determined by the drum too though. There's just no way to get a 12x8 tom to sound like a 14x10......regardless of the heads and tuning.