DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 08-14-2011, 08:47 PM
icedgreece icedgreece is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 134
Default Dr. Dre over ear headphones for drumming?

Does/has anybody used these? I'm looking to get a pair for my everyday use, so I figured I would go better quality. I have a little spare cash around, so I can just spend it on these. If they don't work well, what would you guys recommend for headphones that you can hear the drums clear and music well at the same time?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-14-2011, 09:11 PM
mediocrefunkybeat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Dr. Dre over ear headphones for drumming?

Beyerdynamic DT770. I won't touch the 'Beats' with a bargepole.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-15-2011, 12:31 AM
icedgreece icedgreece is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 134
Default Re: Dr. Dre over ear headphones for drumming?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediocrefunkybeat View Post
Beyerdynamic DT770. I won't touch the 'Beats' with a bargepole.
Haha, are they good for the lows? I mainly play metal and rock.

The store by my work has them in stock so I can grab them anytime, but can I hear the drums clear with the music as well?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-15-2011, 12:52 AM
mediocrefunkybeat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Dr. Dre over ear headphones for drumming?

The Beyerdynamics are designed with sound in mind. They have an even balance of bass. They may sound less bass-heavy compared to the 'Beats' headphones but they will also give you a better idea of what you actually sound like. They're also better built and better value for the quality. Beyerdynamic offer two models - one of which is designed specifically for drummers and offers very serious sound isolation. The non-drummer ones are still reasonably good at eliminating outside noise and sound slightly better but I would still go for the 'Drummer' model.

I would actually say that looking for decent headphones with a heavy low-end is a futile gesture. A lot of cheaper headphones hype the bass up so that they sound 'better' even though they give a much less accurate image of the sound. I mix with a pair of high-end AKG headphone (AKG K701's) that to many people seem bass-light but are in fact more natural sounding. You can't use these for drumming with, incidentally. What you're used to hearing on cheaper consumer headphones will sound vastly different from a good-quality pair. If you're buying a good pair - it's worth being able to mix on them to a certain level. Aim to spend at least 130 (or equivalent in your local currency).

What you need are a pair of 'closed-back' headphones that offer a decent frequency balance and are comfortable to wear for long periods of time. The higher the better. For each -6dB, you are halving the sound pressure; so a pair of headphones that isolate by -18 dB are in fact letting in only one third of the sound pressure compared to the original reference on average. Commercial-grade ear defenders typically offer around -25 dB isolation; you should be aiming to close to that figure.

The 'Beats' are an expensive pair of consumer headphones. There is no reason to be buying them at the price range they are in. You're best off with something like the Beyerdynamics. Shure and KRK are in on this market too as well as old stalwarts like AKG and Sony. There are other brands out there too but buy from a company that actually have a reputation amongst engineers.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-15-2011, 03:19 AM
icedgreece icedgreece is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 134
Default Re: Dr. Dre over ear headphones for drumming?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediocrefunkybeat View Post
The Beyerdynamics are designed with sound in mind. They have an even balance of bass. They may sound less bass-heavy compared to the 'Beats' headphones but they will also give you a better idea of what you actually sound like. They're also better built and better value for the quality. Beyerdynamic offer two models - one of which is designed specifically for drummers and offers very serious sound isolation. The non-drummer ones are still reasonably good at eliminating outside noise and sound slightly better but I would still go for the 'Drummer' model.

I would actually say that looking for decent headphones with a heavy low-end is a futile gesture. A lot of cheaper headphones hype the bass up so that they sound 'better' even though they give a much less accurate image of the sound. I mix with a pair of high-end AKG headphone (AKG K701's) that to many people seem bass-light but are in fact more natural sounding. You can't use these for drumming with, incidentally. What you're used to hearing on cheaper consumer headphones will sound vastly different from a good-quality pair. If you're buying a good pair - it's worth being able to mix on them to a certain level. Aim to spend at least 130 (or equivalent in your local currency).

What you need are a pair of 'closed-back' headphones that offer a decent frequency balance and are comfortable to wear for long periods of time. The higher the better. For each -6dB, you are halving the sound pressure; so a pair of headphones that isolate by -18 dB are in fact letting in only one third of the sound pressure compared to the original reference on average. Commercial-grade ear defenders typically offer around -25 dB isolation; you should be aiming to close to that figure.

The 'Beats' are an expensive pair of consumer headphones. There is no reason to be buying them at the price range they are in. You're best off with something like the Beyerdynamics. Shure and KRK are in on this market too as well as old stalwarts like AKG and Sony. There are other brands out there too but buy from a company that actually have a reputation amongst engineers.

For sure. here is what I was looking at,

http://www.long-mcquade.com/products...r_Drummers.htm

Is there anything else you would recommend from this site?

http://www.long-mcquade.com/departme...Headphones.htm

If not, perhaps on this page?

http://www.axemusic.com/prodtype.asp...ageHistory=cat

I'm headed to both on Tuesday anyways, so why not check them out. They are fairly close to eachother.

Thanks.

Also, though the bass isn't really loud, is it still there?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-15-2011, 11:31 PM
mediocrefunkybeat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Dr. Dre over ear headphones for drumming?

I think the DT770 'Drummer' edition have the best balance of the necessary qualities for this kind of headphone if you're only buying one pair. I'm saving up for a second pair of headphones at the moment (one pair for mixing, one for tracking) but when you're buying just one pair, you have to find a balance between headphones that you can track with and mix with.

Firstly, they're designed as 'true' isolation headphones. A lot of the 'closed-back' designs would probably do the job well but there's no need to take the extra risk if you can help it. Secondly, they will actually sound good enough to do some mixing on. Most of the 'extreme isolation' headphones (like the ones Vic Firth sell) are just ear defenders with some drivers built in. The Beyedynamics have been 'properly' designed (the shape of the earcups makes quite a bit of difference) to sound balanced. The 'non-drummer' model of the DT770's will sound slightly better but this is unfortunately a World of compromises.

The best design for mixing headphones is an 'open-backed' design. These are totally impractical for playing as they aren't designed to block out any ambient noise. So when you approach 'closed' headphones, generally speaking, the more 'closed' the more lifeless and 'boxy' they sound. This is why I say that the Beyerdynamics are such a good idea because they're trying to strike a real compromise between sound quality and isolation that most other headphones aren't manufactured to reach. Either they're designed for sound or for isolation and rarely both.

The price is also reasonable. $199 is quite a reasonable price for a good pair of headphones.

The bass will certainly still be there. Although it won't be as 'hyped' as you're probably used to. The frequency balance of most consumer headphones really is terrible. My AKG's took a little getting used to at first and they also needed time to develop. Often, good headphones take a good few hours of use to really sound their best. For mine the recommendation was at least two-hundred hours and people have been know to just leave them in a drawer in a rarely used room connected to an iPod! There is a big gulf between the 'consumer' and even 'intermediate' headphones much like there is between low and intermediate drums. If you can choose the impedence of your headphones within the same model - it's generally easier to go for those with a lower impedence. A higher impedence makes them harder to drive and that's where you end up in the beardy World of headphone amplifiers!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-16-2011, 01:12 PM
MusiQmaN's Avatar
MusiQmaN MusiQmaN is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Posts: 994
Default Re: Dr. Dre over ear headphones for drumming?

The Beats aren't that bad and the have more low end witch is nice if you have a good monitor mixer at your shows (thats the reason why guys like Rexell Hardy Jr. can use them)

But they are to expensive. If you could get them less then its no problem at all.

And the AKG's are something superb, thats true.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-16-2011, 08:49 PM
matt2hyc matt2hyc is offline
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 28
Default Re: Dr. Dre over ear headphones for drumming?

i have them .. not great for dumming as u start hitting very hard as u dont relize beacause u cant rely hear that well
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-17-2011, 06:06 AM
audiotech
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Dr. Dre over ear headphones for drumming?

If you want great all around headphones, look into the Shure SRH840. Great comfort, good isolation, reasonably flat response without a hyped up bottom end and I believe they sell for about $150.00 USD. The Shure SRH 440 headsets are great also. They weigh a little less than the 840s and they"re about $100 USD. I own two sets of each, but I use the 840 ear cushions on the 440s for a bit better comfort and isolation.

There's really not much I like about any of the Dr. Dre products and I samples most if not all of them.

Dennis
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-17-2011, 03:38 PM
Garvin's Avatar
Garvin Garvin is offline
Pioneer Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Northern USA
Posts: 1,946
Default Re: Dr. Dre over ear headphones for drumming?

I have a pair of beats. They are the best sounding headphones I've ever owned. I have a set of Bose, and some of those Isolation headphones from the drum mags. The beats sound the best. I was given them, so I don't really have a problem with the cost. That's the biggest concern I've heard from folks. I've used them on my e-kit and in the studio. They were actually great in the studio... In fairness, I don't know the first thing about dB's or any of that. All I know is that they sound good.
__________________
http://www.gregvdrums.com
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-18-2011, 07:23 AM
audiotech
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Dr. Dre over ear headphones for drumming?

Let me qualify my opinion of the Dr. Dre headphones. These are not bad headphones for the quantity of the people that they were designed for, if that makes any sense. Headphones such as the Dr, Dre are what I call pre-equalized, or maybe a better term, pre-optimized headphones. A lot of people really would sacrifice sonic accuracy for something with teeth shattering bass response and a high end that will curl your nose. The Dr. Dre has plenty of both. If I would listen to the Dr, Dre phones for about 15 minutes and then put on a pair of headphones that I know to be fairly accurate, my headphones to me would sound very anemic in bass and treble response. I never mix by headphones, but if I were to use the Dr. Dre phones to mix anything, the end result would be very little low and high frequency energy on the final product because I'm cranking things back quite a bit to sound normal in the Dr. Dre phones. This is why I really don't find much use in the Dr. Dre products, they're just too hyped up, in my opinion.

Your ears can adjust to sound very much like your eyes can adjust to color balance. Your brain knows what it should be, so your body believes it is exactly that. That is why some people also hear things much differently than others.

Just the way I hear things,
Dennis
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-18-2011, 09:06 AM
mediocrefunkybeat
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Dr. Dre over ear headphones for drumming?

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiotech View Post
Let me qualify my opinion of the Dr. Dre headphones. These are not bad headphones for the quantity of the people that they were designed for, if that makes any sense. Headphones such as the Dr, Dre are what I call pre-equalized, or maybe a better term, pre-optimized headphones. A lot of people really would sacrifice sonic accuracy for something with teeth shattering bass response and a high end that will curl your nose. The Dr. Dre has plenty of both. If I would listen to the Dr, Dre phones for about 15 minutes and then put on a pair of headphones that I know to be fairly accurate, my headphones to me would sound very anemic in bass and treble response. I never mix by headphones, but if I were to use the Dr. Dre phones to mix anything, the end result would be very little low and high frequency energy on the final product because I'm cranking things back quite a bit to sound normal in the Dr. Dre phones. This is why I really don't find much use in the Dr. Dre products, they're just too hyped up, in my opinion.

Your ears can adjust to sound very much like your eyes can adjust to color balance. Your brain knows what it should be, so your body believes it is exactly that. That is why some people also hear things much differently than others.

Just the way I hear things,
Dennis
Agreed.

If we were continuing with the colour analogy, it's like using a screen with high saturation and brightness to try and reproduce colour-accurate photo imaging. It looks nice (to most people, I'm very averse to bright lights) but it doesn't look anything like reality. The Dre headphones are much the same. They sound really nice but they are in no way representative of how anything 'actually' sounds. As a result, big no-no for studio work.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-18-2011, 05:47 PM
yesdog's Avatar
yesdog yesdog is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: chicago suburbs
Posts: 761
Default Re: Dr. Dre over ear headphones for drumming?

I mainly use inner ear monitors when gigging. I tried the dre beats and they lasted a week before the wire broke on one of the buds. They sounded horrible and was the biggest waist of money. I they might be fine for your IPOD but not for IEMs. I saved my money and got some Shure SE425 IEMs. They have a very clear flat sound that is designed for EQ. Lesson learned, there is a huge difference between earbuds and actual inner ear monitors and the real inner ears are not cheap, they start around 350.00 up to 1,000$.
__________________
IT'S ALL ABOUT FUN PEOPLE!!!!



http://www.youtube.com/user/slfsc
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 08:23 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com