Recording equipment

JMalriat

I was looking to start recording a little bit, but I have a few questions about equipment before I just start buying things. I don't have a very big set, kind of the standard jazz 4 piece (bass, snare, two toms) with a couple weird add-ons here and there. So I was thinking a bass drum mic, a snare mic, and two overheads would do the job (but again, I don't know anything about recording/mics so please correct me if I'm wrong). I have a macbook pro, so I can use garage band for a recording program, but I don't know what the mics plug into/what the computer plugs into. I think I'm okay on stands and mounting, the mic set I was looking at looks like it has clamps. I can clamp two on the (pretty low) ceiling and one on the snare and the bass drum looks like it sits on the floor in front? (I can't really tell by the pictures/specs). The ones on eBay include the case and cables for all of the mics.

So I pretty much don't know what I'm talking about with any of this, and I'm not looking to spend more than $500 (I'll probably buy used from eBay). So please let me know what you think. I am absolutely open to other suggestions. Thanks

Heres the link to the mic set I was looking at:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/shure-dmk57-52-drum-mic-kit/270263000000000

Back