DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Your Place > Your Gear

Your Gear Show your Gear - Pictures - Descriptions

Old 08-11-2011, 09:30 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

Default Room of Earthly Delights Part II

Firstly, apologies for not getting any recordings up. I realised not long after I posted my first kit thread that my playing just wasn't up to recording anything. I hadn't practiced seriously in a while - so I am now and I'm working on that.

Secondly, I've adjusted things a bit. I'm much more comfortable with this layout than the 'standard' four-piece layout. The tom to the left just makes sense to me and it also means there are no compromises in cymbal placement. I am a cymbal-heavy player so they are always my priority.

Thirdly, I've had a new addition. Thanks to Jim Betsios of Offbeat Music (in Illinois) for sending me a new Murat Diril 6" 'Luminous' Series Splash. I got it in the post today when I got back from my summer job and it's a very interesting little cymbal. It has quite a low profile and is quite thick for such a small splash. It is hence quite trashy (despite only fairly light hammering) and heavy on the overtones (which I like). It also has a surprisingly long and pitched sustain which makes it very effective as 'flavour'. If I want, I can dampen it down like a traditional splash or I can let it ring for a different effect. A very cool little cymbal.

The rest are cymbal shots. Fire away with questions if you want!
Attached Images

Last edited by mediocrefunkybeat; 08-11-2011 at 09:43 PM.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:57 PM
Gold Member

Default Re: Room of Earthly Delights Part II

I've never liked toms to the left of the snare, but that's just me.

Cymbals look fantastic as always! What drum set is that?

P.S. Not to be more critical, but not really liking the black stand for the aax amongst the chrome... Just curious why do you have it there?
Old 08-11-2011, 10:18 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

Daredrummer, that's a mic stand. I don't have a short stand for my bass drum mic.

It's a Tamburo Ash 422AM. Not a high-end kit but the shells are good even if the hardware isn't particularly high-end.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:53 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediocrefunkybeat View Post
Daredrummer, that's a mic stand. I don't have a short stand for my bass drum mic.

It's a Tamburo Ash 422AM. Not a high-end kit but the shells are good even if the hardware isn't particularly high-end.
Ah I see. What's the size on that other drum of the same model on the shelf back there?
Old 08-12-2011, 09:42 AM
mediocrefunkybeat

The other drum is a 14"x10". The 'low' tom on this kit is a 12", I'm working out if it's worth swapping them. I'm getting a lot of low end from this setup already and the 14" can be tricky to tune!
Old 08-12-2011, 11:41 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediocrefunkybeat View Post
The other drum is a 14"x10". The 'low' tom on this kit is a 12", I'm working out if it's worth swapping them. I'm getting a lot of low end from this setup already and the 14" can be tricky to tune!
Is the tom to the right not a 14"? Is it 13?

I personally love 14" drums. You can get a lot of low end, but without the flatness that you get with a lot of 16" toms. 14" is the best tom size IMO. 12's are really nice too though, especially when tuned right.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:51 AM
mediocrefunkybeat

No 13", it's a 12" on the right. The kit is a bit odd - it's a 22" bass drum with 10", 12" and 14" toms. I don't get along with the bigger toms and this layout works well. Truth be told, I'd like a 20" bass drum (a 20"x14" would be ideal) but it's a great sounding set.