DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 08-11-2011, 11:15 AM
ludakot ludakot is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 52
Default Drum mic packages

So, some people are saying that most box sets aren't great but this one looks decent:

AKG Drumset Big 2 Drum Mic Package

Anyone got this, know if it's any good?

I was looking to find a decent box set because I'm having a hard time figuring out the best mics, but I'm guessing I'd be better going for the more standard stuff like an SM57 on the snare etc? I have a budget of 1000 but I'd rather be spending 800, I need mics for two overheads, snare, two rack toms, floor tom and bass. This is for a functions band and a bit of recording too. Can anyone recommend something in this price range?

Oh and I forgot to say that my budget includes stands, clips and cables.

Last edited by ludakot; 08-11-2011 at 11:41 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-12-2011, 03:10 AM
simmsdn simmsdn is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North Pole, AK
Posts: 594
Default Re: Drum mic packages

AKG D112 (bass, $150), Sennheiser e604 (for all toms 3x=$350), Shure SM57 (snare, $100), Shure PG81 (overheads, $100 each).

LP Claw for the SM57 ($25)
Kelly Shu for the AKG D112 ($50 for the composite/plastic model)
Two boom mic stands for PG81s ($25 each)

25' (8m) mic cables x7 ($20 each)

I think that's a great set-up and comes in right about your budget. This also only has two mic stands (less hassle). the Sennheiser e604s comes with rubber clips for hoops. If you haven't seen the Kelly Shu, it's pure genius.
__________________
Ludwig Drums; TaylorMade Golf Clubs
http://www.youtube.com/zombie13studio
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-12-2011, 04:52 AM
ludakot ludakot is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 52
Default Re: Drum mic packages

Quote:
Originally Posted by simmsdn View Post
AKG D112 (bass, $150), Sennheiser e604 (for all toms 3x=$350), Shure SM57 (snare, $100), Shure PG81 (overheads, $100 each).

LP Claw for the SM57 ($25)
Kelly Shu for the AKG D112 ($50 for the composite/plastic model)
Two boom mic stands for PG81s ($25 each)

25' (8m) mic cables x7 ($20 each)

I think that's a great set-up and comes in right about your budget. This also only has two mic stands (less hassle). the Sennheiser e604s comes with rubber clips for hoops. If you haven't seen the Kelly Shu, it's pure genius.
Thanks man, I didn't think anyone was gonna reply!

Unfortunately I think you overestimated the worth of the at the minute, I can't find even a second hand SM57 for less than 75 (which comes in at more like $120), same with most of the other stuff. Of course I could just be terrible at searching.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-13-2011, 08:52 PM
simmsdn simmsdn is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: North Pole, AK
Posts: 594
Default Re: Drum mic packages

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludakot View Post
Thanks man, I didn't think anyone was gonna reply!

Unfortunately I think you overestimated the worth of the at the minute, I can't find even a second hand SM57 for less than 75 (which comes in at more like $120), same with most of the other stuff. Of course I could just be terrible at searching.
Wow, $100 is for a new SM57 here in states. Used are $70-80 for a mic in very good condition.

Good luck searching!
__________________
Ludwig Drums; TaylorMade Golf Clubs
http://www.youtube.com/zombie13studio
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 09-03-2011, 09:42 PM
cobamnator's Avatar
cobamnator cobamnator is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 284
Default Re: Drum mic packages

Quote:
Originally Posted by ludakot View Post
So, some people are saying that most box sets aren't great but this one looks decent:

AKG Drumset Big 2 Drum Mic Package

Anyone got this, know if it's any good?

I was looking to find a decent box set because I'm having a hard time figuring out the best mics, but I'm guessing I'd be better going for the more standard stuff like an SM57 on the snare etc? I have a budget of 1000 but I'd rather be spending 800, I need mics for two overheads, snare, two rack toms, floor tom and bass. This is for a functions band and a bit of recording too. Can anyone recommend something in this price range?

Oh and I forgot to say that my budget includes stands, clips and cables.
IF you are looking for a SM57 / SM58 mic, then read on...

I have had extreme success with Behringer Xm8500's (Basically a SM58 / SM57 copy, but I prefer them for micing drums over the Shure's. Although I am going to be verbally attacked for blasphemy lol) on snares and toms and even kick drums!

Without getting technical, They sound very Clear, and tight, and are really easy to EQ. And they are $20 here in the US.

But all I can say is buy one and try it for yourself. They are GREAT...for drums. (Vocals is another story)
__________________
Your Ad Could Be Here!

Last edited by cobamnator; 09-03-2011 at 09:44 PM. Reason: spelling
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 09-03-2011, 10:27 PM
sticks4drums
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Drum mic packages

I purchased the Sennheiser Pro pack III and I love it. Nothing wrong with that pack. All 900 series mikes. Bass, overheads, and 4 toms. Not cheap, but sounds great. Oh and they come in a nice James Bond style aluminum case with combination locks. :)
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com