DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Other Gear

Other Gear Discuss Hardware and all other equipment not covered in the other topics

Old 08-09-2011, 04:44 PM

Default Replacing drum lugs

I got an 80's Yamaha Stage tom that I am looking to refinish and integrate into my Stage Custom kit. I got a bunch of stage custom lugs on the way and this will be a trans finish rather than a wrap. My question is, if it turns out that the screw holes for the lugs don't match up exactly center to center, and I need to lengthen or shorten the centers, which will may make one hole "longer", should I keep the hole further from the head untouched or the hole closer to the head untouched.

I know that's a mouthful, but i hope I explained the question well enough.
Old 08-09-2011, 04:53 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

Default Re: Replacing drum lugs

I would make the head farthest from the hole slightly bigger. That is the 'load bearing' hole if there were ever an issue. It also ensures that the lug is a consistent distance from the head and rim all the way around and that will help tuning. Messing what the lug distance and making it inconsistent could really alter things for the worse!
Old 08-12-2011, 05:27 PM

Default Re: Replacing drum lugs

So it turns out that the stage custom lugs are much smaller than the 80's stage tom so there is no way to use the lugs without drilling new holes and filling up the old ones. So I will probably just refinish the shell to match my set and keep the lugs as is. This tom will be mounted next to the floor tom and no none will really see it. I put ec2/coated g1's on the drum and it sounds really nice and does fit in tonally with the rest of the kit.

Anyone need some lugs... :)