DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 08-08-2011, 05:40 AM
D2 Drummer's Avatar
D2 Drummer D2 Drummer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 128
Default Another Remo Emperor

Hi everyone,

I have tried a few drum heads on my Ddrum D2 set for a while. The drums are sort of low end, and i'm a little confused about the shells. Some sources say Mahogany & others basswood. After using several drum heads, I liked Coated Ambassadors, Clear Emperor & Clear pinstripes.

Coated ambassadors needed some muffling to tone down the projection & to sound fat. Pins needed more tone. The clear emperors were great, but needed muffling to sound controlled.

The clear emperors were the closer to my liking. Durable with a bright and punchy sound. I wished they sounded just a little controlled though, so i don’t have to use any moon-gels on them.

Now, is there another Remo Emperor Drum head that has the original sound of the clears, but with just a little muffling already on the head, so I have lowered projection, with a controlled and slightly muffled sound.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 08-08-2011, 05:51 AM
classicstar's Avatar
classicstar classicstar is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 314
Default Re: Another Remo Emperor

You could try the smooth white emperor, but I don't think it will make much of a difference with muffling, but it will be a tad warmer. I would also try the clear controlled sound heads. One more option would be the powerstroke 4, which is a two ply version of the powerstroke 3. Good luck!
__________________
Tama ~ Evans ~ Vater ~ Meinl
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 08-08-2011, 06:09 AM
ineedaclutch's Avatar
ineedaclutch ineedaclutch is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: My living room
Posts: 573
Default Re: Another Remo Emperor

Are you playing live or are you not liking the sound in your drum room? None of these heads are a bad choice live (though I don't prefer pinstripes), but maybe they seem uncontrolled from the drivers seat? This will not make itself apparent in a live context. I have had many fill-in gigs where a member of the band is the FOH/Moni. We would check the drums and they would complain about the kick ringing out (I use full resos and very, very rarely muffling which is an absolute shock to most) or the toms ringing from hitting the kick. I always tell them to not worry about it because once everybody gets going you won't hear it anyways. However, this resonance helps carry my sound. They always agree after we perform. Real FOH/Monitor guys know this but most weekenders and drummers don't.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 08-08-2011, 06:18 AM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 11,429
Default Re: Another Remo Emperor

Agreed. I always tune my drums to what they'd sound like from ten feet away by the time they get to the audience. Usually at that distance any ringing will have been gone and nobody in the room can hear that. If you want to hear what your drums really sound like, take them outside and play them where there are no walls around the kit.

However, you should try the coated emperors. I think you'll find that bit of coating tones the unwanted overtones down a bit. But I tend to go back and forth between coated and non-coated, and although I know I'm getting more ringing with clear heads, the effect is negligible to the audience.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 08-08-2011, 06:19 AM
D2 Drummer's Avatar
D2 Drummer D2 Drummer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 128
Default Re: Another Remo Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineedaclutch View Post
Are you playing live or are you not liking the sound in your drum room? None of these heads are a bad choice live (though I don't prefer pinstripes), but maybe they seem uncontrolled from the drivers seat? This will not make itself apparent in a live context. I have had many fill-in gigs where a member of the band is the FOH/Moni. We would check the drums and they would complain about the kick ringing out (I use full resos and very, very rarely muffling which is an absolute shock to most) or the toms ringing from hitting the kick. I always tell them to not worry about it because once everybody gets going you won't hear it anyways. However, this resonance helps carry my sound. They always agree after we perform. Real FOH/Monitor guys know this but most weekenders and drummers don't.
I'm not recording live, but just at home. As far as room, my gear is in the basement. However the basement is unfinished, so i have some stuff around for sound control. I use moon gels on the emperor's which borders me a little because i don't like adding muffling to my toms.

Tuning wise, i consider myself okay. I can get the drums sounding really good, i was just wondering if there's another form of clear emperors. Example, sued, ebony...
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 08-08-2011, 06:22 AM
D2 Drummer's Avatar
D2 Drummer D2 Drummer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 128
Default Re: Another Remo Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Agreed. I always tune my drums to what they'd sound like from ten feet away by the time they get to the audience. Usually at that distance any ringing will have been gone and nobody in the room can hear that. If you want to hear what your drums really sound like, take them outside and play them where there are no walls around the kit.

However, you should try the coated emperors. I think you'll find that bit of coating tones the unwanted overtones down a bit. But I tend to go back and forth between coated and non-coated, and although I know I'm getting more ringing with clear heads, the effect is negligible to the audience.
You're right, but I'm doing studio work a home, so i tend to what them controlled from behind d the seat
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 08-08-2011, 06:30 AM
D2 Drummer's Avatar
D2 Drummer D2 Drummer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 128
Default Re: Another Remo Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicstar View Post
You could try the smooth white emperor, but I don't think it will make much of a difference with muffling, but it will be a tad warmer. I would also try the clear controlled sound heads. One more option would be the powerstroke 4, which is a two ply version of the powerstroke 3. Good luck!
I haven't tried the controlled sound or powerstroke heads on toms. I would like to try different versions of the empror heads, because i think the sound that i want is from that genre.

I have tried the coated emperors though
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 08-08-2011, 06:49 AM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 11,429
Default Re: Another Remo Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by D2 Drummer View Post
You're right, but I'm doing studio work a home, so i tend to what them controlled from behind d the seat
Ah. Then you shouldn't really be concerned with projection if the sound is only traveling into a mic, eh? Get zero rings, or more moongels, or wallets taped to your snare.... ;)
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 08-08-2011, 07:02 AM
D2 Drummer's Avatar
D2 Drummer D2 Drummer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 128
Default Re: Another Remo Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
Ah. Then you shouldn't really be concerned with projection if the sound is only traveling into a mic, eh? Get zero rings, or more moongels, or wallets taped to your snare.... ;)
Yep, i use Powerstroke 3 on the snare which are fine. For the toms i use clear emperors but i want a little more muffling to them, instead of using moon gels. I was wondering if i were to say get the sued, vintage or ebony emperor's, would they do anything for the little muffling i desired without the use of moongels
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 08-08-2011, 07:03 AM
ineedaclutch's Avatar
ineedaclutch ineedaclutch is offline
Silver Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: My living room
Posts: 573
Default Re: Another Remo Emperor

In that case try the black suede emps tuned low. I don't care for their feel, but they do sound good on tape.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 08-08-2011, 07:05 AM
D2 Drummer's Avatar
D2 Drummer D2 Drummer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 128
Default Re: Another Remo Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ineedaclutch View Post
In that case try the black suede emps tuned low. I don't care for their feel, but they do sound good on tape.
I was thinking of trying them. I'm not too key on their looks but its worth a try
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 08-08-2011, 07:40 AM
Bo Eder's Avatar
Bo Eder Bo Eder is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Southern California
Posts: 11,429
Default Re: Another Remo Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by D2 Drummer View Post
Yep, i use Powerstroke 3 on the snare which are fine. For the toms i use clear emperors but i want a little more muffling to them, instead of using moon gels. I was wondering if i were to say get the sued, vintage or ebony emperor's, would they do anything for the little muffling i desired without the use of moongels
I currently have vintage emperors now on my kit and they sound nice and controlled. I'm told they are a little thicker than regular emperors - I got them because the store had all of those in the sizes I needed ;)
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 08-08-2011, 07:45 AM
Pocket-full-of-gold's Avatar
Pocket-full-of-gold Pocket-full-of-gold is offline
Platinum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia.
Posts: 9,908
Default Re: Another Remo Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
I currently have vintage emperors now on my kit and they sound nice and controlled. I'm told they are a little thicker than regular emperors
I'm late to this party, but the vintage Emps were gonna be my suggestion. Worth a try.

As always buy one head, if you like it, get more....if not, let it slide.
__________________
What's the best cape for running away from a gig?
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 08-08-2011, 08:08 AM
D2 Drummer's Avatar
D2 Drummer D2 Drummer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 128
Default Re: Another Remo Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket-full-of-gold View Post
I'm late to this party, but the vintage Emps were gonna be my suggestion. Worth a try.

As always buy one head, if you like it, get more....if not, let it slide.
Thanks, that is also on my list of Emperor head. I have tried a few different heads, but i always seem to be fond of the sound i get from the emperors
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 08-08-2011, 08:09 AM
D2 Drummer's Avatar
D2 Drummer D2 Drummer is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Canada
Posts: 128
Default Re: Another Remo Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Eder View Post
I currently have vintage emperors now on my kit and they sound nice and controlled. I'm told they are a little thicker than regular emperors - I got them because the store had all of those in the sizes I needed ;)
Thanks, i'll try them out i think they're 7.5mil
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 08-13-2011, 07:11 PM
Mr.L's Avatar
Mr.L Mr.L is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Canada
Posts: 356
Default Re: Another Remo Emperor

+1 for Vintage Emperors, they sound very sweet!
__________________
Take care of your drums, one day they'll be vintage!
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are Off
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT +2. The time now is 10:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Bernhard Castiglioni's DRUMMERWORLD.com