DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Heads and Sticks

Heads and Sticks Discuss Heads and Sticks

Old 08-05-2011, 11:54 PM

Default Evans EC2 Coated SST: First Impressions.

Just got some Evans EC2 SST Coated heads and I'm really diggin' them!
Evans EC2 SST

I was about to go with Remo Emporers or Evans G2 Coated (I would've went Aquarian but there is almost nothing available here in Toronto and I couldn't wait for new heads). I heard so many good reviews I thought what the heck, let's give them a try.

First impressions: They tune very easily and are very forgiving, every review says this and now I know why. The coating on them is more like a frosting, a translucent look. The tone is just enough warmth but not too much with good attack, not too slappy. They tune great low and high. There is very little overtones and sustain is quite short, which I like. On the 14" tom though the sustain can go pretty long without any additional dampening.

I prefer these over the G2's, that's my preference. I don't have matching resos just yet but I will probably get them soon. The reso's on my drums are Evans black reso heads, originally bought to match my Onyx heads.

Cons: I already have 1 dent on the 10" and 14" tom, not too big to worry about and I'm not even a heavy hitter. The coating on the top ply seems to already be chipping, not sure if this is normal or even acceptable, they still sound great but that's a big negative for me and makes me question its durability.

All in all I'm pretty happy with them for now, they record great and sound great with the naked ear. Let's just see if they hold up.
Old 08-06-2011, 12:00 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Evans EC2 Coated SST: First Impressions.

I have a setof clear SST's and have no problems..I don't see how players dent heads?
Old 08-06-2011, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
I have a setof clear SST's and have no problems..I don't see how players dent heads?
I was quite surprised actually, as mentioned I'm not a heavy hitter really. Its really not that big of a dent but I question quality control on these. I've never dented any of my other heads before.
Old 08-06-2011, 11:28 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUNTERSDAD View Post
big, heavy sticks and rim shots from above the head

i.e. i use either vicfirth ms4 or zildjian mike manginis, both are of around equal weight but a different thickness ... lols
Old 08-06-2011, 04:16 PM
"Uncle Larry"

You can dent heads easily without hitting hard. If you hit the head on the wrong angle, with the point of the tip, they'll dent easily. That's what's happening most likely. You want to strike the head with the side of the tip, not the point. It's easy to do (hit at the wrong angle) when you get flailing around the kit.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:44 PM
Platinum Member

The only time that I have ever dented heads in my many years of playing is when I mis-hit a drum and I drove the point of the stick into the head. Mostly because I used to have tom angles that were to steep when I was a younger less experienced player.
I have even used coated Diplomats on top of my toms without denting them.
I have also had other people use my drums and dent the heads.

I use the Evans EC1 Tanslucent coated heads on my ddrum maple kit and I really like them.
They are similar to the heads that you are using.