DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Off Topic Lounge

Off Topic Lounge All Discussions Not Related To Drumming

Old 08-09-2011, 11:06 PM
Silver Member

Default Sony's UK HQ/Factory burned to the ground.

Currently here in the UK (well, England. Not Scotland, Wales, or Ireland. I live in Scotland) there has been riots which started over a gangster being shot dead after firing at police officers. Many other thugs have been smashing up England and burning places aswell as breaking into stores and looting everything they can for nothing.

A shopping mall has been burned to the ground, an iconic furniture store has also been burned aswell as many homes and other places. One of them being Sony.

Inside the Sony factory was the UK's Sony record publishing and this is bad for the Music industry and many artists like Jessie J have went to Twitter to try and get help.
People are calling themselves 'anarchists' but I think they mean arsonists.

here is a video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=biJgILxGK0o

This is absolutely ridiculous. A target was also Jamie Oliver's Birmingham restaurant which has been broken into and destroyed.

I sincerely hope everyone in England stays safe and everything will be restated in the near future.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:09 AM
mediocrefunkybeat

Default Re: Sony's UK HQ/Factory burned to the ground.

Firstly, the person that was shot did not fire; according to the official IPCC investigation. Not saying what has happened since is at all justified - just that those are the facts.

Secondly, as far as I understand this was a Distribution Centre, not a factory. It has major implications on Sony's power on the retail market in England and I hope Sony continue to exist in the UK after all the major setbacks they've had this year. I grew up with a Sony stereo in my parents' living room and a Sony TV in the lounge and I've always had an affection for their electronics products. It's a real blow to a lot of very hard-working people that work for Sony. Not only that; it's a blow to all those hardworking business owners that have had their shops and businesses ruined by mindless vandalism.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:33 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediocrefunkybeat View Post
Secondly, as far as I understand this was a Distribution Centre, not a factory. It has major implications on Sony's power on the retail market in England and I hope Sony continue to exist in the UK after all the major setbacks they've had this year. I grew up with a Sony stereo in my parents' living room and a Sony TV in the lounge and I've always had an affection for their electronics products. It's a real blow to a lot of very hard-working people that work for Sony. Not only that; it's a blow to all those hardworking business owners that have had their shops and businesses ruined by mindless vandalism.
I grew up with a discman and a 9" Sony TV from the 80's when I was little aswell as playstations. The 9" Sony TV was in my room on a wall bracket I can remember that because my mum and dad had just got a new 22" Box TV. Hahaha.
Sony have good stuff and not to mention most of my favourite artists are signed to Sony BMG and if that disappeared from the UK I'd also be devastated.

All the hard working people in England don't deserve what's going on. People have tried to start riots up here in Scotland in Aberdeen and Glasgow and as soon as a post was made on Facebook police would track the IP and arrest people as young as 15. So the police up here are actually being ok for once (just ok... They're worthless up here).
Old 08-10-2011, 12:35 AM
mediocrefunkybeat

You mean you can tell the difference between a normal night and a riot up there in Scotland?

Sorry - it was just too easy.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:11 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mediocrefunkybeat View Post
You mean you can tell the difference between a normal night and a riot up there in Scotland?

Sorry - it was just too easy.
Hahaha! True! Sauchiehall Street at 1am and everyones killing each other outside.

Or Trongate at 6pm and everyone's on the bringe of killing each other over drugs.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:26 AM
Rebel

Or after a binge in Radar's or Cafe Drummond pubs in Union Street...or the surrounds of Victoria dock.
Old 08-10-2011, 02:02 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Williams View Post
Or after a binge in Radar's or Cafe Drummond pubs in Union Street...or the surrounds of Victoria dock.
The Cathouse... Oh God. Union Streets a weird place... Pubs and strip clubs everywhere!
Old 08-10-2011, 10:09 AM
Platinum Member

Mini rant;

"Disaffected youth" is the term used by the softie PC brigade. Yeah right! I was dragged up out of an orphanage on the dock road of Liverpool, & I didn't go round shitting in my own nest! When will these spoilt little scroungers learn that, even if you're a homeless guy in the UK, you're still in the top 10% of the most wealthy citizens on this planet.

I often hear "well, they're bored" as an excuse for their lack of self control. They're bored, because they're not starving! If they were constantly hungry (i.e. like half the planet), they wouldn't have time to be bored, they'd be consumed with the task of keeping themselves alive. These idiots need a dose of world reality, not "reality TV"!!!

Sorry, end of mini rant.
Old 08-10-2011, 10:31 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep it simple View Post
These idiots need a dose of world reality, not "reality TV"!!
Andy, I think the world could do with a lot less "reality TV"...
Old 08-10-2011, 10:57 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Mini rant;

"Disaffected youth" is the term used by the softie PC brigade. Yeah right! I was dragged up out of an orphanage on the dock road of Liverpool, & I didn't go round shitting in my own nest! When will these spoilt little scroungers learn that, even if you're a homeless guy in the UK, you're still in the top 10% of the most wealthy citizens on this planet.

I often hear "well, they're bored" as an excuse for their lack of self control. They're bored, because they're not starving! If they were constantly hungry (i.e. like half the planet), they wouldn't have time to be bored, they'd be consumed with the task of keeping themselves alive. These idiots need a dose of world reality, not "reality TV"!!!

Sorry, end of mini rant.
+1000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 000...
Old 08-10-2011, 10:58 AM
Silver Member

That's an interesting bug! I did not put a space before the last 3 zeros, and when I click edit the space isn't there....

Q ominous music..
Old 08-10-2011, 11:57 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Mini rant;

Sorry, end of mini rant.
True andy. These pathetic little kids are not starving to death on the streets. They live in a country which provides a soft landing for people who are unable to work and abuse it just because they can't be arsed to go into further education or get a job. Now they're running riot nicking whatever they feel like just because they know the softie coppers aren't going to do anything about it. This is no longer about politics or civil unrest, it's just stupid spoilt little chav cunts nicking stuff because they can. I am usually a leftie liberal softie guardian reading type, but right now I swear if I had any sort of decent weapon i would go out tonight and kill any fuckers i see breaking into a shop or trying to set fire to something.

On a musical note, apparently Dawsons in manchester has been broken into and the little scroates have gone and nicked all the guitars. What really tops it off though is that they've been using these valuable instruments to smash the windows of pound shops so they can go and nick some cheap tat! Wankers.

EHs Music Facebook Page

Last edited by eddiehimself; 08-10-2011 at 12:11 PM.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:07 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehimself View Post
True andy. These pathetic little kids are not starving to death on the streets. They live in a country which provides a soft landing for people who are unable to work and abuse it just because they can't be arsed to go into further education or get a job. Now they're running riot nicking whatever they feel like just because they know the softie coppers aren't going to do anything about it. This is no longer about politics or civil unrest, it's just stupid spoilt little chav cunts nicking stuff because they can. I am usually a leftie liberal softie guardian reading type, but right now I swear if I had any sort of decent weapon i would go out tonight and kill any fuckers i see breaking into a shop or trying to set fire to something.
Right on Eddie! They deserve a good thrashing. I'm normally a very accomodating guy too, but sometimes you have to go in with a hard hand when idiots like these are clearly taking the piss. They're too damn comfortable, & do this simply because they believe they can get away with it. Clearly, they can't see beyond their own greed & work out that they're actually crapping on their own doorstep.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:12 PM

Quote:
a country which provides a soft landing for people who are unable to work and abuse it just because they can't be arsed to go into further education or get a job..
Did anyone notice none of the job centers got touched? Heaven forbid the jobless scum who were involved in the riots couldnt go get their dole money the next day, from the government they are ranting about!
Old 08-10-2011, 12:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfern View Post
Did anyone notice none of the job centers got touched? Heaven forbid the jobless scum who were involved in the riots couldnt go get their dole money the next day, from the government they are ranting about!
Yes, good point. They clearly have just enough brain power to compute that, just. Hope you're away from this crap mate. Keep safe.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:44 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Yes, good point. They clearly have just enough brain power to compute that, just. Hope you're away from this crap mate. Keep safe.
+1. I wonder how long it will be before this thread is deleted? I would say maybe an hour or 2.

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 08-10-2011, 01:42 PM

Quote:

On a musical note, apparently Dawsons in manchester has been broken into and the little scroates have gone and nicked all the guitars. What really tops it off though is that they've been using these valuable instruments to smash the windows of pound shops so they can go and nick some cheap tat! Wankers.
On another musical note, my thoughts are with musos and bands playing at venues caught in the middle of this crap. Do instrument insurance policies cover this sort of situation? My band are playing in Sheffield city centre on Friday and Saturday night - so far no trouble reported there but I think I'll take my least expensive stuff and plan how to make a quick getaway....
Old 08-10-2011, 06:44 PM
Platinum Member

I add my support to the "level headed" views of our DW members across the pond. Having travelled extensively over your way going on some 35 years the anger I feel towards this type of mindless actions is best left not totally spoken {printed} on the forum.

Seeing poor innocent folks left homeless and their life business's gone not to mention hertitage buildings gone like you see in Croydon that survived bombing in 2 wars leaves me quite upset. Spent a month in Croydon as well as in recent years some time in Manchester. Seeing what has taken place in both those locations as well as many others under "fire" i've visited long enough to get to know the locals has made me quite sad.

Vancouver had it own mindless riot this year with the same content of mindless idiots doing the same "Darwin Award Winning" crimes. Same stupid crap, different country...in this case at present a country which I consider a second home.

Save the jail space {and free food} and throw the whole bunch of them in the Thames........

ISTANBUL AGOP CYMBALS
PEACE DRUMS

www.myspace.com/setstan
Old 08-10-2011, 07:33 PM
mediocrefunkybeat

If you throw them in the Thames they'll end up downstream where I am!
Old 08-10-2011, 07:33 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steamer View Post
I add my support to the "level headed" views of our DW members across the pond. Having travelled extensively over your way going on some 35 years the anger I feel towards this type of mindless actions is best left not totally spoken {printed} on the forum.

Seeing poor innocent folks left homeless and their life business's gone not to mention hertitage buildings gone like you see in Croydon that survived bombing in 2 wars leaves me quite upset. Spent a month in Croydon as well as in recent years some time in Manchester. Seeing what has taken place in both those locations as well as many others under "fire" i've visited long enough to get to know the locals has made me quite sad.

Vancouver had it own mindless riot this year with the same content of mindless idiots doing the same "Darwin Award Winning" crimes. Same stupid crap, different country...in this case at present a country which I consider a second home.

Save the jail space {and free food} and throw the whole bunch of them in the Thames........
Dawsons in Manchester got destroyed and looted. Not burned. But there's smashed piano's and guitars everywhere apparently. Turns my stomach to be honest because that was the first shop I visited in Manchester.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:35 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Mini rant;

Sorry, end of mini rant.
Word. They're protesting the lack of jobs, so they burn down a factory where people work. Duh.
Old 08-10-2011, 09:43 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stalwart_Pandora-Chris View Post
Dawsons in Manchester got destroyed and looted. Not burned. But there's smashed piano's and guitars everywhere apparently. Turns my stomach to be honest because that was the first shop I visited in Manchester.
Not sure about "destroyed". Smashed up a bit and some stock taken, yes but not destroyed.

Looks bad, but they were open within 2 hours of this!

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 08-10-2011, 10:07 PM
Platinum Member

There's a lot of rioting going on in the world these days, hey?

What sucks is that the people most hurt by it all are largely innocents.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:43 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
Word. They're protesting the lack of jobs, so they burn down a factory where people work. Duh.
No. These people take money from the Governments Unemployed programme where they get 200 a week for sitting around doing nothing! What do they spend it on? Simple answer. Drink and drugs.
Where I live in Scotland about 60-70% of the population consumed are these people.
They take our taxes and they're now trying to say they also pay taxes which is why they are looting! People work hard and these people sit in they're house injecting and gazing into space then go out and try and fight.
I've encountered this at a train station once. Waiting on a train myself and someone presumably on heroin (that's all he talked about) approaches me trying to fight me until he gave up and went in the corner and then started trying to talk to me about how he's being chased by the police and I was really scared and how he hates everything and he's been "unemployed since he left school". I think the guys now in jail and I don't feel sorry for these wastes of space. Unemployment is an issue yes. But there are plenty of jobs for them and if they actually tried to get a job our country wouldn't need to pay as much tax for these wastes of space to drug up all day and use it as an excuse to do nothing.

The economy would also be much better if they actually worked and a good percentage of people in the UK are unemployed.
Old 08-11-2011, 12:44 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Not sure about "destroyed". Smashed up a bit and some stock taken, yes but not destroyed.

Looks bad, but they were open within 2 hours of this!
Can't see the picture sadly. Atleast everyone's alright and it's a shame really (even though the staff are joking about it on they're Facebook page).
Old 08-11-2011, 07:06 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
No. These people take money from the Governments Unemployed programme where they get 200 a week for sitting around doing nothing! What do they spend it on? Simple answer. Drink and drugs.
Where I live in Scotland about 60-70% of the population consumed are these people.
They take our taxes and they're now trying to say they also pay taxes which is why they are looting! People work hard and these people sit in they're house injecting and gazing into space then go out and try and fight.
I've encountered this at a train station once. Waiting on a train myself and someone presumably on heroin (that's all he talked about) approaches me trying to fight me until he gave up and went in the corner and then started trying to talk to me about how he's being chased by the police and I was really scared and how he hates everything and he's been "unemployed since he left school". I think the guys now in jail and I don't feel sorry for these wastes of space. Unemployment is an issue yes. But there are plenty of jobs for them and if they actually tried to get a job our country wouldn't need to pay as much tax for these wastes of space to drug up all day and use it as an excuse to do nothing.

The economy would also be much better if they actually worked and a good percentage of people in the UK are unemployed.
I hear you. In some American states, like California, there are more people who depend on government money, than pay taxes and support things. When the people who are idle outnumber those who are productive, a society is doomed.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:45 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Can't see the picture sadly. Atleast everyone's alright and it's a shame really (even though the staff are joking about it on they're Facebook page).
sorry yeah it's a private forum so it probably won't be visible. But yeah it was pretty bad, they had a few expensive items nicked, a lot of what was taken has been recovered but is ruined. Fortunately it ought to be easier to claim off the insurance now they have them back though i would have thought.

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 08-11-2011, 03:52 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deathmetalconga View Post
When the people who are idle outnumber those who are productive, a society is doomed.
That was exactly the aim of technology. Remember the promises? Hey, it's okay that people are losing their jobs now because technology will usher in a glorious new age of leisure - to the point where the challenge will be in people knowing how to handle all that leisure time!

One person will be able to do the work of many - and that bit came true. Productivity is through the roof as compared with the old, manual days. Funny thing, with all that extra productivity we ended up working harder and longer and that increased productivity didn't turn into leisure but big, fat juicy profits for our corporate masters and outrageously paid executives ... all largely protected by tax loopholes..

The parasites at the top and the bottom both feed on middle class tax (and sweat and stress). Then when tensions blow up the middle class mugs the ones most affected.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:26 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollyanna View Post
The parasites at the top and the bottom both feed on middle class tax (and sweat and stress).
Very true. A common response by rightists in the US is to embrace counterculturalism and espouse right-wing anarchy - basically, no one should pay any taxes because it's a form of institutionalized theft, and therefore there should be no government to oppress anyone. That's what the Tea Party is about.

OK, then go live in Somalia! No taxes there, all the freedom you want.
Old 08-12-2011, 08:58 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
People have tried to start riots up here in Scotland in Aberdeen and Glasgow and as soon as a post was made on Facebook police would track the IP and arrest people as young as 15. So the police up here are actually being ok for once (just ok... They're worthless up here).
Is it slightly worrying that the police are given the power to track IP addresses?

Quote:
If many of them were employed many of them would probably not be rioting.

Quote:
Very true. A common response by rightists in the US is to embrace counterculturalism and espouse right-wing anarchy - basically, no one should pay any taxes because it's a form of institutionalized theft, and therefore there should be no government to oppress anyone. That's what the Tea Party is about.

These riots are partly signs of an economic crisis. In countries that doing economically well, riots hardly happen - like here in Australia.

Quote:

Whoa. Even if you go to Somalia you will find yourself under the jurisdiction of warlords who demand obedience.

Quote:
The parasites at the top and the bottom both feed on middle class tax (and sweat and stress). Then when tensions blow up the middle class mugs the ones most affected.
Nice commentary, but let me remind you that while there are parasites at the bottom there are plenty of working-class people who work their butts off.

Not everyone who is poor because it is there own fault as some people will insist on saying.

Rioters are there for a variety of reasons, some want to steal stuff, some want to see some destruction, some want to get at the police and some are just plain angry at a police shooting.

...but if you ask me this chaos is now getting very far removed from the shooting that sparked it...

Seriously, those rioters are not achieving much good by destroying homes and businesses.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:49 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
If many of them were employed many of them would probably not be rioting.
True, unfortunately they don't WANT to be employed a lot of them. Or if they do, they're not putting in enough effort to become employed. Having said that, it is surprising the bakgrounds some of these people came from. The first man convicted at court over the rioting (they've fast tracked the courts system for the riots) was a 31 year old teacher.

Quote:
Nice commentary, but let me remind you that while there are parasites at the bottom there are plenty of working-class people who work their butts off.

Not everyone who is poor because it is there own fault as some people will insist on saying.
+1. That's what makes me more angry about the riots is the fact that these spoilt little chavs complain about being on a council estate when there are plenty of people in the same boat who have made something respectable out of themselves.

EHs Music Facebook Page
Old 08-16-2011, 09:29 AM
Silver Member

Funny cartoon caption in the newspaper last week.

London youth demonstrating the way in which the British empire was created.