DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > Drum Gear > Electronic Drums

Electronic Drums All about Electronic Drums

Old 08-02-2011, 09:02 PM

Default More on budget electronic drums

I'd carry on posting in the other budget thread, but because my budget's different to his I thought I'd be better served making a new thread. I posted once already about the kits I was curious about, but upon going up town and having a poke around I'm rethinking my options. Here are the important details:

I've got somewhere in the region of 700 to play around with - I don't want to spend it all, but that's the ceiling. I'm a respectable player and I'm at a point where I'd like to play with other musicians in settings other than the typical open mic nights, so ideally whatever kit I get would be easily transportable. I'd be more than happy with one that I could fit into a typical sports bag, but if that's not possible I've got a couple of deployment bags I could use instead. I don't particularly want to be buying used, but I'd consider it.

The other note is that a couple of the music stores in town [I'm a Londoner] offer payment plans - you put down a 10% deposit, pay the remaining 90% back over the following nine months and apparently pay 0% interest on it - and since I'm still employed, touch wood, it seems like this makes some of the kits I thought were out of my price range more affordable.

Based on all that, it seems like the options available are the DM8 (Alesis), DTX500K (Yamaha), the TD-4K2 or the TD-4KX2 (Roland). I wasn't a fan of the HD-1 when I played it - I found it a little too cramped, didn't like the bass being pedal only rather than pedal and pad and wasn't a fan of the lack of customisation - so that's out unless I find an impossibly good deal.

Thoughts?
Old 08-14-2011, 10:57 AM

Default Re: More on budget electronic drums

I don't want to spend it all, but that's the cap. I'm a respectable participant and I'm at a stop where I'd suchlike to joke with new musicians in settings other than the exemplary ingenuous mic nights, so ideally some kit I get would be easily transportable.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:48 AM

...beside the spammer, anybody else want to venture an opinion?
Old 08-21-2011, 05:37 PM

The additional mention is that a couple of the music stores in townspeople [I'm a Londoner] supply defrayal plans - you put physician a 10% accretion, pay the remaining 90% indorse over the following nine months and apparently pay 0% benefit on it - and since I'm plant engaged, contact writer, it seems equivalent this makes whatsoever of the kits I intellection were out of my cost ambit statesman cheap.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:49 PM

I don't need to drop it all, but that's the control. I'm a reputable participant and I'm at a tip where I'd equal to freedom with otherwise musicians in settings otherwise than the characteristic afford mic nights, so ideally whatever kit I get would be easily transportable. I'd be solon than happy with one that I could fit into a regular sports bag, but if that's not getable I've got a family of deployment bags I could use instead. I don't particularly deprivation to be purchasing used, but I'd view it.
Old 08-22-2011, 04:09 PM

I said BESIDE the spammer.
Old 08-22-2011, 11:24 PM
Gold Member

I'm a yamaha guy..so my choice would be easy...if your budget is around $1000-$1500...I'd get the DTX500..I just prefer Yamaha's module sounds over the other kits...and I have owned/played Roland v-drums (still do at church - td-20sx)...you might also want to consider used...you might find a used DTXtreme III at top of your range...
Old 08-23-2011, 12:34 AM

IMO it really depends on what you are trying to do. If you just want a small kit to practice on used Roland TD-3 makes sense. If you are "serious" then none of the lower end e-kits will cut it. Can't speak to yamaha, but on Roland IMO TD12 is lowest serious kit, at like 4k usd.

I don't know jack about yamahas...but IMO stick with Roland or yamaha as most say the quality of these is much better than others.
Old 11-03-2011, 06:57 PM

In your price range, the Traps E500 would be a good option. Full size mesh pads all round, metal hardware that feels pretty solid. It also has a proper moving hi-hat system rather than a fixed pad and pedal set-up.

You mentioned portability and I think traps are the only company that sell a set of bags for their kit so problem solved in that department! :-)

I would have a play on them first before you make the decision to empty your wallet.